PDA

View Full Version : Get those check-ups!

Blissful
01-04-2007, 21:17
I mentioned this on another thread, but wanted to bring it up here. Be sure you get your check-ups done soon, not only physicals but dental. :D I took Paul Bunyan in yesterday for a routine cleaning and found out he needs his wisdom teeth pulled as they are ripe for infection. He is scheduled for next week Tuesday (so remember him, please!).
So esp you college age hikers -- you might get that checked.

MrHappy
01-05-2007, 20:10
Yeah, I just had to get two of my wisdom teeth pulled. The infection hurt way more than the actuall pulling.

mambo_tango
01-08-2007, 15:58
My wisdom teeth were pulled a few years ago and I am getting a physical done this week. I have to start gaining some serious weight.

Doctari
01-08-2007, 19:08
Way good advice.

When at the dentist, have Her/Him check your fillings for wear & fit, I had one pull/fall* out day 3 of a 18 day hike, totally exposing the raw nerve. Needless to say, it was "unpleasant" at best.

* I was eating Noodles, all of a sudden I bit something very crunchy. When I looked, it was obviously a filling. "Oh well" said I, then I took another bite "OUCH!!!!! @%*&(#$@@!!!"

Doctari.

Blissful
01-08-2007, 21:28
Yep tomorrow is the dreaded wisdom teeth extraction for Paul Bunyan. Please be thinking of him, y'all. (and his mother)

emerald
01-08-2007, 21:46
Yep tomorrow is the dreaded wisdom teeth extraction for Paul Bunyan. Please be thinking of him, y'all. (and his mother)

Roger that, Blissful. I'll order a boxcar of hay air-dropped for Babe.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-08-2007, 22:10
Just a reminder for those of you who are on any on-going prescription meds to check your current prescriptions and make sure they will not be running out while you are out hiking. While you're there getting your physical, ask your doc to write you an extra prescription for a one month supply of all your meds to take with you on the hike. That way you can get your meds anywhere if your meds go missing during the hike.

mindi
01-08-2007, 22:51
The problem I'm having is that my insurance won't pay for any meds ahead of time. So I'm going to have to shell out full price to get some backup for my hike unless I can talk the doctor into giving me some samples.

I got a complete dental checkup and a new crown so hopefully my teeth will stay healthy for my whole hike.

Make sure you get any other nagging problems that seem 'minor' checked too! I had something that could have caused a big problem on the trail had I not gotten it checked out.

:) Mindi

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-08-2007, 23:23
Mindi, you might want to get your doctor to write monthly prescriptions and carry them with you. That way you can get them filled in cities on or near the trail as they come due.

Paul Bunyan
01-08-2007, 23:32
Hey just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I am kind of nervous, but i hope it will turn out okay.

The Weasel
01-08-2007, 23:53
Make sure your physical is a COMPLETE one. I found out I had a massive hernia one month before I planned to start my thru in '00. Surgery slowed things down by a month, but it was worth it.

The Weasel

Blissful
01-09-2007, 15:43
Update on P.B - got through the extraction - all five of them. Now having pain, of course, and swelling.
If you want to PM or e-mail hm, feel free. He loves getting mail.

Touch of Grey
01-09-2007, 16:23
I could not agree more with this thread. I started last month with teeth cleaning and whatever else was found to need repairing explaining to my dentist that it would be nearly a year before I would next see him.

My daughter works for my optometrist/opthamologist so that is out of the way and a new pair of rugged specs are on the way.

Turned 50 last October and have not had a good check-up in over two years so it was time to get all of the plumbing certified to be in working order. (There are just some places where fingers do not belong!) Got that out of the way today with a clean bill of health from my physician of 32 years. He thinks I'm crazy but considering the health issues of my family which he has treated over the years he understood and barring anything in the bloodwork, I'm ready to go in March.

Oh Doc thought I was nuts again when I asked for my blood type. There is a Army Surplus near here that makes 'dog-tags'. I'm having a set made to hang around my neck or put in one of my boots. Just in case! This way who ever comes across my body can find the info easily on me and not have to go searching thru all of my gear or pockets to see who I am, any allergies, what blood type and who to contact.

It may seem like overkill to some but minutes saved in finding this info on an unconsciense (sp?) body save lifes more often than not.

TOG

Paul Bunyan
01-09-2007, 16:39
Hey, this is a reply to everybody, the surgery is done. I'm still feeling a little woozy from the madication, but i'm doing ok!

emerald
01-09-2007, 17:41
Hey, this is a reply to everybody, the surgery is done. I'm still feeling a little woozy from the madication, but i'm doing ok!

Glad to hear you made it! I had that same procedure done when I was about your age.:eek: Didn't like it much:(, but I began to feel better in short order.:)

leeki pole
01-09-2007, 17:51
You'll be fine. I played a baseball game on Friday after the extraction on Wednesday back many moons ago. Just didn't want one in the chops!

mindi
01-09-2007, 19:58
Glad to hear you got through it okay! Take the pain medicine they gave you on schedule even if you aren't hurting too much yet.

I had 3 of mine surgically removed a few years back, I feel your pain.

:) Mindi