PDA

View Full Version : Is The Weasel an admin now?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-04-2007, 23:43
I just went to put him on ignore for kicking sand in people's face in the political forum and found I can't put him on ignore.

dixicritter
01-04-2007, 23:48
No he's not. Did you click on his name and use the pop down menu to do it?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-04-2007, 23:51
No, I typed it in and it came up and said I couldn't put him on ignore because he is an admin.

dixicritter
01-04-2007, 23:53
I went into the admin control panel and it does not show him listed as an administrator, just a plain registered user. I don't know what the deal with that would be.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-04-2007, 23:58
Here's a screen capture:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/TheWeasel.jpg

dixicritter
01-05-2007, 00:01
Ok I did some more checking, it isn't that he's an admin, but he has been given special moderator permission for working on the Law article in the articles section. Therefore it's the moderator status that's the problem.

TJ aka Teej
01-05-2007, 00:09
Hey dixi, I tried ignoring that Katahdin-head who writes the Caratunk to Baxter Park section for the Companion. And all I got was:

Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.

:D

Jack Tarlin
01-05-2007, 00:10
Actually, the "problem" is when people who are among the most strident and habitual contributors to the political forums----and to little else----get all bent outta shape when people actually dare disagree with them.

Since this group usually runs in "wolf pack" mode whenever someone actually has the temerity to disagree with anyone in their group, it's really pretty amusing to see someone complain about "sand in the face" bullying.

Fact is, F.D., the political Forums are without question, the nastiest, most vituperative and frequently the most unpleasant spots on this website, and to pinpoint one individual for misbehavior in this regard is pretty funny.

People that are turned off by the political forums can simply avoid them and talk about backpacking, which I sorta thought this site was all about. But for one of the most strident political contributors to complain (and publicly, too; F.D.'s letter could have easily been sent as a Private Message) about another poster is too silly for words.

If one is concerned about sand in the face, then one can simply choose to avoid the cat box that the political threads usually become.

Pretty simple. :rolleyes:

dixicritter
01-05-2007, 00:52
Hey dixi, I tried ignoring that Katahdin-head who writes the Caratunk to Baxter Park section for the Companion. And all I got was:

Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.

:D

LOL... thanks TJ I needed a good laugh tonight! :D

The Weasel
01-05-2007, 01:09
I just went to put him on ignore for kicking sand in people's face in the political forum and found I can't put him on ignore.
No, I'm not an administrator, nor would I like to be, nor have I asked to be. I admire what Dixi, Rock and Troll do, and their efforts are so exceptional that I couldn't begin to qualify to be with them.

That being said, I'm not sure what the 'sand kicking' refers to, other than thanking FD for having thoughts that made me feel better about past history, appreciating FD's "high five" to me (which I thanked him for) and a comment to another poster that I didn't like insults (and others seem to feel similarly irked at insults and say so, so I wasn't particularly inhibited in what I understand is a 'free fire zone' "political" forum). If FD wants to ignore me, I'm sure he can simply skip my posts, however, and my feelings won't be hurt.

The Weasel

The Weasel
01-05-2007, 01:11
Ok I did some more checking, it isn't that he's an admin, but he has been given special moderator permission for working on the Law article in the articles section. Therefore it's the moderator status that's the problem.

Dixi, just read down to your message and saw this. This was done by Rock in order to make it a lot easier for me to edit things into shape for the article, but if it bothers anyone, just change it back and I can do things manually.

The Weasel

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-05-2007, 01:13
Weasel, I routinely put people on ignore when things heat up in the political forum. Life is too short for all that fussing. BTW, I'm the She-dino half of the frolicking dinosaurs. He-dino rarely posts.

The Weasel
01-05-2007, 01:17
Actually, the "problem" is when people who are among the most strident and habitual contributors to the political forums----and to little else----get all bent outta shape when people actually dare disagree with them.

Since this group usually runs in "wolf pack" mode whenever someone actually has the temerity to disagree with anyone in their group, it's really pretty amusing to see someone complain about "sand in the face" bullying.

Fact is, F.D., the political Forums are without question, the nastiest, most vituperative and frequently the most unpleasant spots on this website, and to pinpoint one individual for misbehavior in this regard is pretty funny.

People that are turned off by the political forums can simply avoid them and talk about backpacking, which I sorta thought this site was all about. But for one of the most strident political contributors to complain (and publicly, too; F.D.'s letter could have easily been sent as a Private Message) about another poster is too silly for words.

If one is concerned about sand in the face, then one can simply choose to avoid the cat box that the political threads usually become.

Jack, I'm a punching bag for some people, or at least they like to think I am. I don't think there was much 'sand kicking', as I noted above here, and I thought I had a 'welcome back' from FD, on at least a tentative basis, which I appreciated (and said so). I don't understand the dynamics with some of this, and frankly, the whole WhiteBlaze thing is getting very old, very fast.

I love the Appalachian Trail, and my memories of it are a special part of my life. And I have had an affection for this Forum that goes far beyond what some may realize. But this stuff is just getting sick.

FD, when you see this, go back and read what we exchanged. I 'kicked no sand' at you, and thanked you for your comments, and appreciated them. I still feel that way about you, but I also have a sad sense of disappointment, too. So much we could have agreed on, and disagreed aboutg, that would have been interesting. Without insults, too. It was nice, if only for an hour. I hope it recurs; it was a good thing.

The Weasel

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-05-2007, 01:24
And we likely will get to discuss things, Weasel. I put the people involved in 'sand kicking' on ignore for a day or so.

The reason: I got involved in a sand fight or two myself when I first started participating in the political forum - and I'd rather not get involved. I don't throw the first handful and put those throwing sand at me or others on ignore. It works for me.

The Weasel
01-05-2007, 01:40
And we likely will get to discuss things, Weasel. I put the people involved in 'sand kicking' on ignore for a day or so.

The reason: I got involved in a sand fight or two myself when I first started participating in the political forum - and I'd rather not get involved. I don't throw the first handful and put those throwing sand at me or others on ignore. It works for me.

Then why not do it privately, rather than piously in public? Nothing you have written needed to be in a public thread. I'm disappointed, and I wish you realized that it sounds like you're trying to score points. That saddens me.

The Weasel

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-05-2007, 01:47
I normally do not make it public when I put people on ignore. I'm not the only person here who uses this technique to deal with strife in the political forum. I had several PM's about your status and realized it was going to become public rather quickly. This way it was settled quickly and in a civil manner without the admins getting bombarded with PMs.

The Weasel
01-05-2007, 01:57

I normally do not make it public when I put people on ignore. I'm not the only person here who uses this technique to deal with strife in the political forum. I had several PM's about your status and realized it was going to become public rather quickly. This way it was settled quickly and in a civil manner without the admins getting bombarded with PMs.

FD, I'm sorry. But get your story straight. The first quote above is the first quote in this thread, and it came from you, in what can only be an attempt to publicly create a major flame war. For those who care, they should know thatg I'm not the instigator of the disagreement with Terrapin, who found it necessary to insult my profession - without any provocation - in what he admits was a "dig" that had nothing to do with the topic

And you didn't do raise this issue "civilly", but publicly in a clear "let's drop the dime on The Weasel." Don't say you didn't know what you were doing; you're a veteran here, as you have privately (and, frankly, pompously) have informed me. You provoked this whole issue - in public - in front of Dixi and our other Administrators and all of WhiteBlaze - a whole lot more ungraciously than private messages to her would have been.

I am very disappointed and surprised by the things you say publicly, which are, frankly, not consistent with what you say privately. It's time to stop this nonsense.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
01-05-2007, 04:35
what a major whinefest.:rolleyes:

Sly
01-05-2007, 04:35
Weasel, I routinely put people on ignore when things heat up in the political forum. Life is too short for all that fussing. BTW, I'm the She-dino half of the frolicking dinosaurs. He-dino rarely posts.

FD, all you need is a scroll fast button. :D

bfitz
01-05-2007, 05:39

Whatever, there's no wolf pack, only lone wolves. Or mabye some can outrun the wolfpack and some can't. In that case I'd call it natural selection and let it be what it is.

The Old Fhart
01-05-2007, 08:56
As much as I've disagreed with The Weasel I believe Frolicking Dinosaurs' beginning this thread is a really cheap shot and this whole affront to her perceived sensibilities should have been handled by PMs to TPTB and not aired in public.

The ‘holier than thou’ attitude Frolicking Dinosaurs tries to portray is just a facade and you’re “kicking sand in people's face” with the best of them, and this isn't the first time you've done this.

bfitz
01-05-2007, 09:03
Good point Old Fhart, except I doubt it was an intentional slight, more like a question leading to an impulsive thread start. I'm sure in retrospect she'll agree with the pm's to the ptb's idea, but I don't think FD kicks that much sand, really. Bites the occasional toe maybe, or makes the occasional unconciously anti-semitic political post, but hey, who doesn't?

TJ aka Teej
01-05-2007, 09:03
The ‘holier than thou’ attitude Frolicking Dinosaurs tries to portray is just a facade and you’re “kicking sand in people's face” with the best of them, and this isn't the first time you've done this.

Perception is a funny thing, OF. I was reading weasel's and Jack's contributions here and was thinking of composing a 'your holier than thou attitude is just a façade' type of response directed toward those two...

MOWGLI
01-05-2007, 09:09
Give it a rest folks. I think everyone has learned that notes of this nature are better done through a PM.

bfitz
01-05-2007, 09:11
Well, all thou all together ain't all that holy, so it's a mighty subtle sliver of a difference either way.:p

woodsy
01-05-2007, 09:12
Where is this whinefest anyway? I love tasting different wines(wino)
Oh, I see, it's down in wolfpack hollow,off on the blueblaze trail.LOL

dixicritter
01-05-2007, 09:19
Ok This question was asked and answered. The solution is in the works. Move on, nothing more to see here.

attroll
01-05-2007, 15:04
Without realizing it one of the administrators put The Weasel on as a moderator so he could edit his own post temporally for the Articles forum. The administrator did not realize that in the article section that the poster of the thread can always edit their own post.

So with that in mind I removed The Weasel as a moderator. So those of you that really wish to add him to your ignore list can if you want to.