PDA

View Full Version : Rei Quarter Dome Ul

Frog
01-05-2007, 07:21
I Was Impressed With This Tent. Weight Is 4 Lbs. Has Two Doors And Two Vestibules. Dome Style Tent. Very Close Quaters For Two But Excellent For One. Plenty Of Head Room. Great In The Rain. As I Used This Tent On A Section Hike Over New Years And It Rained For 2 Of The 4 Days I Was Out And I Had No Water Come In. I Have Several Tents Walrus Zoid 1 (not Enough Head Room) Golite Trig 2 (which Didnt Keep Me Dry As I Did A Week In Ga. During The Spring Of 06) I Am Impressed With The Rei Quater Dome Ul Even Thou 4 Lbs Sounds A Bit Much For The Room You Get And The Two Usable Vestibules I Think This Is A Bargain And You Can Catch It On Sale $149.00 Sometimes Or 209.00 Regular Price.

Rain Man
01-05-2007, 12:15
I have the Quarter Dome (and the Half Dome too, for that matter). I do wish the Quarter Dome could be set up with only the rain fly and footprint (like the Half Dome). Sadly, you have to have the tent body too, to set up the rain fly.

Unless someone has a trick to suggest?

Anyway, great tent that will be better when REI modifies it to allow "tentless" set up.

Rain:sunMan

Frog
03-09-2008, 06:51
REI has upgraded this fine tent with a different pole configuration. sopose to make the tent body have more room or less coming in on you. They also made a winter verison

Thrasher
03-09-2008, 09:15
They have the regular quarter dome ul on sale at REI outlet site for $149. It's been a great tent for me and my wife so far.

Jason of the Woods
03-09-2008, 09:32
We have the three person. Last week we rode out severe weather and high winds in it and not a drop of water got in. It also stays warm into the teens.

Bearpaw
03-09-2008, 13:58
REI has upgraded this fine tent with a different pole configuration. sopose to make the tent body have more room or less coming in on you. They also made a winter verison

The new version, the Quarter Dome T2 has DRAMATICALLY more room. This doesn't show up with a quick look at the online specs however. The difference is in the walls. The old 2-poled Quarter Dome had walls that tapered inward, so that you couldn't really sit up straight without pushing into the walls.

The new pole system offers essentially true vertical walls like the MSR Hubba Hubba. The T2 offers them with an extra inch of floor space as well, at 4 ounces less, for about $40 less, and in a much more pleasant color than the mustard yellow MSR has chosen this year.

You can compare the QD T2 and the Hubba Hubba here: http://www.rei.com/ComparisonChartDisplay.do?type=User&storeId=8000&vcat= (http://www.rei.com/ComparisonChartDisplay.do?type=User&storeId=8000&vcat)= As well as link to the full page with photos and details for each.

Tinker
03-09-2008, 16:38
The new Quarterdome T1 isn't big enough for people with broad shoulders. I'm 5'10-1/2" and 210 lbs. My shoulders touched both sides of the bathtub floor when lying down. Sleeping bag would get damp from condensation. Headroom, on the other hand, is outstanding. They need to redesign this tent with more width at one end and less at the other to make it usable without adding weight, or add weight by making it 3" or so wider and keeping with the rectangular floor plan. The pole design is brilliant.

envirodiver
03-10-2008, 17:20
I personally don't care for the narrow confines of the T1 either, very much like the Hubba. But, if you wanted luxurious accomodations for 1 person the T2 would be great and still not a heavy tent. At 4 lbs.

Medic!
01-08-2010, 20:59
Resurrecting a dead thread (and discontinued model), but wanted to put my 2 cents in. I currently use the old Quarter Dome UL, but am thinking about upgrading. Not for anything to do with the quality, I took it on a section of the AT in Vermont in October, and throroughly enjoyed it. Setup was quick and sturdy, and completely waterproof through the rains. My only concern is straight weight. At 4 lbs +/-, I figure there are options to go half the weight with the same room. If you don't mind the weight and can find one cheap used, I say go for it.

Pacific Tortuga
01-08-2010, 21:22
I personally don't care for the narrow confines of the T1 either, very much like the Hubba. But, if you wanted luxurious accomodations for 1 person the T2 would be great and still not a heavy tent. At 4 lbs.

I was just in there (REI) yesterday and weight this tent. It was much closer to 5 lbs.
I like REI but, why can't they tell the truth on gear weight.
Truth in "light weight" advertising would be nice.
Pulled it from the rack and walked over to their scale, didn't take it out of the sack, it still would be well over 4 & 3/4 lbs.

Bearpaw
01-08-2010, 21:27
I was just in there (REI) yesterday and weight this tent. It was much closer to 5 lbs.
I like REI but, why can't they tell the truth on gear weight.
Truth in "light weight" advertising would be nice.
Pulled it from the rack and walked over to their scale, didn't take it out of the sack, it still would be well over 4 & 3/4 lbs.

My Quarter Dome T3 is just under 5 lbs. It sounds like you may have weighed the 3-person tent.

nox
01-08-2010, 22:42
I have the T2, in a stuff sack with 10 tent pegs and guy out lines it's still under 4lbs. It is a great tent. I especially like that the fly can go completely to the ground and seal out blowing snow. It came in handy last week. plus the vents work nice.

trailangelbronco
02-08-2010, 21:49
I have the T-2 and like the tent, but wish to drop a couple pounds. I tried the tent-tarp and woke up wet as all heck, and slept in a wet down bag for two days. So,I'll probably stick with the T-2 and wait and see what else is out there.

copperjohn
02-21-2010, 15:29
Is the mesh on the T2 a no see um mesh? I can't find it stated anywhere

skinewmexico
02-21-2010, 16:04
Is the mesh on the T2 a no see um mesh? I can't find it stated anywhere

I think all tents have noseeum mesh now. I've been trying to find one that didn't, since noseeum kills any breeze in summer, and we don't have noseeums.

copperjohn
02-21-2010, 18:34
haha yeah I assumed the same, but you see it listed some places, and others you don't so I was wanting to check

Spot In The Sky
02-21-2010, 18:58
I have the T2 which I love but got it for my girlfriend and I, which was snug, but fine, but I was going to switch to the T1 for my solo thru hike due to weight, but I havent laid in the T1 yet. I think the T2 would have PLENTY of room for 1 person and then tent fly can do a great job covering gear pack and boots. It held up really well in the rain for in SNP. But Id imagine the T1 would hold up just as well?

skinewmexico
02-22-2010, 03:40
I have the T-2 and like the tent, but wish to drop a couple pounds. I tried the tent-tarp and woke up wet as all heck, and slept in a wet down bag for two days. So,I'll probably stick with the T-2 and wait and see what else is out there.

What's a tent-tarp? And my T3 is 4# 10 oz without the stuff sacks.