PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the Hennesy Explorer Deluxe?

Orange_Crush
01-05-2007, 10:40
Has anyone ever used one of these? I’m a bit on the…well…large size (300 pounds) and, while I’ll surely lose some weight during my training, by the time I hit the trail I’ll still probably be in the mid 200s which means that sleeping on the ground will be mighty uncomfortable.

Someone gave me the name of hennesy hammocks and said that may be the way to go. I like what I see so far, but I’d like to hear about real-world experiences…are they comfortable? Reliable? Durable? Etc?

Thanks in advance for the help.

jlb2012
01-05-2007, 11:30
Comfortable - yes
reliable - yes but what is your definition - I have not hit the ground yet (~280 lbs + gear)
durable - see reliable

I use the Explorer Deluxe with CCF pads for bottom insulation and I replaced the stock tarp with a MacCat Titan tarp for extra coverage and room below the tarp.

I find it somewhat easier to tie the ED due to the larger diameter rope used.

txulrich
01-05-2007, 11:48
Check out the Hammock Forums. There are a bunch of us over there and you can learn alot, ask a lot of questions, etc.

http://www.hammockforums.net/? Here's the link.

D'Artagnan
01-05-2007, 12:40
It's the model I use and I've had no problems with it. In my experience, though, try to tie it as high as possible because it will sag a little overnight. My guess is that this is the case with about any hammock.

starvingmusician
01-05-2007, 12:47
I *love* my HH Explorer Deluxe. It's very comfortable. I have bi-lateral total knee replacements and find it difficult (not impossible) entering and exiting tents (no kneeling).

I've found it to be both reliable and durable - I now weigh ~250 lbs, and like HOI, I haven't hit ground yet -- even with my 12 year old daughter setting it up for me. I pair my HH with a MacCat Deluxe tarp for extra coverage. I'm glad I did... it rained sideways (blowing wind) one night when DD and I were out bicycling. She had a stock tarp, and got wet (and scared too, of the lightning). At 3 am I heard her crying over the din, and went over to see what the problem was. Cold, wet and scared. We both climbed into my Deluxe, and spent the remainder of the night (morning?) -- she sleeping, me praying we didn't get hit by lightning. She weighs ~125 lbs. (and took her half of the hammock out of the middle :D).

There have been occasions where I could not set up my hammock due to a lack of trees, and had to set up on the ground using my hiking poles. I usually carry a CCF pad with me for bottom insulation, even in the summer. I've also had an instance (while biking the C&O canal) where the available trees were too large in diameter (I extended the length of my tree hugger by using para cord between the two loops, then lashing the hammock to the cord).

Judy

JimSproul
01-05-2007, 12:59
I understand there are hammock zealots but........

I bought one, used it a couple of times. Could not get comfortable, found changing clothes a pain. It seemed that by the time I added the pads and underquilts needed to make it work I would have to carry more that my solo tent. I sold it.

A good thermarest on the ground works better for me (200 lbs).

KG4FAM
01-05-2007, 13:28
I love my hammock, but you just have to try it out and see if you like it. I used my hammock all summer and then when I switched back to my tent for the winter I missed it a lot(i haven't quite figured out how I want to handle the bottom insulation issue yet). I am comfortable on the ground, but the thing that I missed was how easy it was to set up and take down. Its also nice to have the feet elevated a little bit after a good day of hiking.

hammock engineer
01-05-2007, 13:43
I started out with a HH and really like it. I have since changed over to a DIY hammock. I like the removeable bugnet, lounge like a chair, or lay with my head and feet on the side of the hammock. You can still lounge in a HH, the the ridgeline cuts into your back if you don't modify it somehow.

If I bought another commerical hammock I would look closely at the Speer hammocks. www.Speerhammocks.com (http://www.Speerhammocks.com) I think. The big difference is they do not have a ridgeline. HH patented them. It basically allows you to hang the hammock the same way each time. You can add one to a Speer really easily.

I just change outside my hammock. I am usually by myself. My tarp is big enough to hide me if I need to. I did the same thing when I tented though.

joec
01-05-2007, 14:00
I have the Delux for me and the ultralite for my wife. The only difference, other that length, is the rope is much bigger than the string that comes with the lighter weight ones. I weigh 225 and it is very comfortable.

mountain squid
01-05-2007, 14:07
Echoing JimSproul (I'm sure we are in the minority here), I also don't think hammocks are comfortable. If you toss/turn or sleep on you stomach at all, it is very difficult to get comfortable. Add to that the "complexities" of staying warm on cold nights, in my opinion, a hammock is not worth it...since you are in the research mode check these lightweight "tents" out as another option...

http://www.tarptent.com/
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/

I've used all three and like the lunar solo the best...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Hana_Hanger
01-05-2007, 16:17
I echo the statements of most of the above posters as well!!

I LOVE mine as well and do not have to worry about the weight issue so sleep content with no worries about it ripping out under me:D

Bruce Trail
01-08-2007, 17:18
I am a big person 250 ish(sometimes a bit more) and I use the Hennessey Explorer Ultralite (rated to 250 lbs) -- no problem -- seems Hennessey allows for 25+ lbs of gear -- used three seasons for two years now and no worries -- the deluxe (good to 350 I think) should be fine for sure -- We all have our own system. I had a night of figuring it out on the trail -- not so comfortable -- and then the second night was the best nights sleep I have had on the trail ever -- u just gotta try it and figure out what works for you -- My system is Hennessey Hammock and MEC sleeping bag in summer. In fall/ winter (been out down to - 20 or so) the hammock and a Big Agnes sleeping bag with a blue foamy is perfect. No slippage factor -- I found a blue foamy at a surplus store that had reflextix type stuff on one side so I use that -- and that is it. Good hammock -- good bags -- cheap insulation. I love it and hammock now my first choice for 3 seasons + and if winters stay this mild it'll be four seasons. Try it --