PDA

View Full Version : Superfeet break-in period?

rswanson
01-05-2007, 15:29
I've just thrown a pair of Superfeet Green in my trail runners (Solomon XA Pro 3D's) to soak up some rock-induced foot abuse. I've also tweaked my ankles quite a few times so I figured the body alignment touted by Superfeet might help a bit. I didn't notice any discomfort during the one day I used them, other than the different feel of the Superfeet over my stock insoles (which I wouldn't really describe as uncomfortable). However, the following day I noticed my arches really ached. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how long did this continue?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-05-2007, 15:35
The instructions that come with Superfeet tell you to break them in gradulally. They really do change the foot's alignment enough to work different muscles.

trippclark
01-05-2007, 15:40
It took two or three weeks for me (with gradual break in as pointed out by Dino). At first my feet were down-right sore! Now I wear them every day in all shoes that I have that will accomodate them.

jlb2012
01-05-2007, 15:41
I've had this happen with a new set of Superfeet - since I had previously been using Superfeet I just assumed the new ones needed to be crushed down a little and so that is what I did - I took the footbed in hand and worked over the arch support with my thumbs squeezing it - this worked for me. On the other hand it sounds like you had not previously used them and in which case it may be as described - your foot needs to adjust to the arch support which it will slowly.

Footslogger
01-05-2007, 15:43
Actually, my wife had the same problem. She has very little natural arch in her feet so the support of the SuperFeet was actually bruising the sole of her foot in that area. In her case what I did was trim off part of the green plastic arch.

As the earlier post indicated though ...unless you've already been using them, SuperFeet need to be "broken in". Rather, it's your feet that need the actual break-in. A couple hours a day for the first week or so at least before hiking them full time every day.

Some people (myself included) can insert a SuperFeet and take off hiking but the majority of people who have never worn a supportive footbed like the SuperFeet need to allow for some accomodation.

'Slogger

rswanson
01-05-2007, 17:10
Thanks all. Just making sure that I hadn't spent the money in vain; they sure aren't cheap.

Ewker
01-05-2007, 17:23
I bought some from a gear store 3-4 yrs ago. After a week I took them out. I think they are still in the closet. Now at Trail Days 2 yrs ago I got custom Superfeet made for me. My feet and lower back have thanked me everyday. If you can go custom do it

stumpknocker
01-05-2007, 17:43
I've just thrown a pair of Superfeet Green in my trail runners (Solomon XA Pro 3D's) to soak up some rock-induced foot abuse. I've also tweaked my ankles quite a few times so I figured the body alignment touted by Superfeet might help a bit. I didn't notice any discomfort during the one day I used them, other than the different feel of the Superfeet over my stock insoles (which I wouldn't really describe as uncomfortable). However, the following day I noticed my arches really ached. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how long did this continue?

I started using them on the Trail a few years ago. I just stuck them in my shoes and threw the old insoles away because they were flat by that time.

My arches hurt for three days, then never again. I was probably walking 15 miles a day, but don't remember that for sure. I didn't follow the instructions. :)

Blissful
01-05-2007, 18:25
They never did work for me. Then again, most insoles didn't. Since I got mine at REI I returned them.

hopefulhiker
01-05-2007, 19:14
I could not get used to them after a about a week, I changed for the blue ones which did great all the way from Damascus up..

yael
01-05-2007, 21:58
Hey, I don't know that you will ever have this issue, but I switched from some other insoles to Superfeet in Waynesboro and they felt fine and first. I never really had any issues until I was going into Bland. Then I started developing some serious blisters on the bottoms of my heels.
Just something to watch out for.

mythicyeti
01-06-2007, 02:17
Like a few other folks mentioned I needed to "break them in". I've appreciated them since though. It probably took a few trips before I was super happy. :sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-06-2007, 06:45
I could not get used to them after a about a week, I changed for the blue ones which did great all the way from Damascus up..

Actually, my wife had the same problem. She has very little natural arch in her feet so the support of the SuperFeet was actually bruising the sole of her foot in that area. In her case what I did was trim off part of the green plastic arch.Superfeet recommends users with a naturally low arch or flat foot use the blue model rather than the geen model because the arch is a bit lower. Superfeet FAQ - Question 2 (http://www.superfeet.com/faq/blue.aspx#faqs)

Sly
01-06-2007, 10:34
How do you check your arch height to which one would work best?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-06-2007, 10:47
How do you check your arch height to which one would work best?This site (http://seniorhealth.about.com/od/footconditions/a/flat_feet.htm)has some evalution techiques you can do at home. Mother's Finest may know some others.

Sly
01-06-2007, 11:20
Thanks, but I'm sure I don't have fallen arches or flat feet.

Sly
01-06-2007, 11:25
Are Superfeet only for those with flat feet? I'm looking for something to cushion the heel. I've been using Spencos

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-06-2007, 11:28
Sorry Sly, I thought you suspected your arches had succumbed to gravity. You have certainly given them plenty of quality exercise – for those who don’t know, Sly has logged lots and lots of backpacking miles.

Sly
01-06-2007, 11:31
Yeah well, more miles on my butt the past couple years, but I plan on making up for it this year.

Sly
01-06-2007, 11:35
Going back to the Superfeet page, since they seem to have more cushion I may try the green ones.

Fannypack
01-06-2007, 11:53
I'm looking for something to cushion the heel.
Sly, could your heel pain be Plantar Fasciitis (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=nMD&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=plantar+fasciitis&spell=1)?

Symptoms
The most common complaint is pain in the bottom of the heel, usually worst in the morning and improving throughout the day. By the end of the day the pain may be replaced by a dull aching that improves with rest.

Treatment
Initial treatment usually consists of heel stretching exercises, shoe inserts, night splints, and anti-inflammatory medications.

I first encountered this heel pain, felt like a needle being stuck in the bottom of my heel, on the PCT01 (http://hikercafe.com). I just used Vit I then. When I got home I found that my heel was still bothering me so I went to DR and he told me to just do the Achilles heel stretch (http://www.timeforfitness.com/flexibility/achilles.htm) & that has solved my heel pain aka Plantar Fasciitis problem...

Sly
01-06-2007, 12:15
I have more foot pain than heel pain, like for over 2000 miles on the CDT towards the front of my foot to the left of the ball on my left foot. Eventually it went away, but even on shorter hikes recently there's still something wrong

I like to cushion the heels because of the repetitive pounding