PDA

View Full Version : Harrisburg Area Loops?

PHeller
01-05-2007, 19:18
First post, I did some searches, but didn't end up with much.

I was wondering if anyone know of any "loops" in the Harrisburg PA area of the AT. I've been trying to find a short Fri-Saturday night trip on the AT, but my friends and I would prefer not to hike the same trail twice is we don't have too.

Any advice?

Also, has anyone camped in Camp Bashore Boy Scout area? When I was a BoyScout I was there every summer, and would love to know if its possible to camp near there.

lbbrown
01-06-2007, 00:26
A mile or 2 up the road from the Camp Bashore turnoff is a nice KOA campground. My younger son and I had a nice stream front tent site for 2 nights while waiting to pick up my older son from summer camp at Bashorre. The KOA has a pool, cabins and a nice restaurant. The AT goes right past Camp Bashore and where the trail crosses the main road, you could hitch a ride north and enjoy the showers,pool and good food.

c.coyle
01-06-2007, 07:39
... I was wondering if anyone know of any "loops" in the Harrisburg PA area of the AT. I've been trying to find a short Fri-Saturday night trip on the AT, but my friends and I would prefer not to hike the same trail twice is we don't have too.

A nice loop for a dayhike is Route 325 (near the DeHart Dam) up the Stone Tower Trail to the Yellow Springs Trail to the AT (northbound) to the Sand Spring Trail and back to 325.

A couple neat things to see, a nice climb, a decent view if you make a short bushwack, a slightly hairy creek crossing on a log. About 7.5 miles. Might be too short for an overnighter. Trailhead at 325 is a little hard to find.

You can also do some loops on Peters Mountain.

There are tons of 15-25 mile overnight hikes around Hbg. if you shuttle or go car-to-car.