PDA

View Full Version : Corrections to Companion NOT via Snail Mail?

Buckles
01-05-2007, 22:46
I just received my '07 Companion. I see a need for a correction that I also spotted in the '06 version while hiking in November (too late to inform anyone) and apparently did not get updated by others. The back page of the new Companion suggests sending a letter to an address in New Hampshire. Anyone know of an email address (surprised that wasn't offered as an option)?

Thanks.

Sly
01-05-2007, 22:49
There's a field editors yahoo email list. If you spell out the correction, I can pass it along.

veteran
01-05-2007, 23:01
Post to this link:

Updates: A.T. Thru-Hikers' Companion
Trail Updates
› A.T. Thru-Hiker's Companion
› Recent Relocations

The Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion provides details on towns and services along the Trail. Updates to the 2007 edition are outlined here. Please send suggested updates and corrections to :[email protected] (mailto:[email protected])

Buckles
01-05-2007, 23:06
Thank you, Veteran. I'll send the update to that email address.

Sly
01-05-2007, 23:08
Don't want to post the corrections?

attroll
01-06-2007, 05:33
Yes please post the corrections here also. That is what this web site is all about. Updating hikers.

Sly
01-06-2007, 11:28
Then someone else could get credit for spotting the error!

Great. In the meantime, 2007 hikers that use the hard copy Companion will be misinformed.

TJ aka Teej
01-06-2007, 17:50
I just received my '07 Companion. I see a need for a correction that I also spotted in the '06 version while hiking in November (too late to inform anyone) and apparently did not get updated by others. The back page of the new Companion suggests sending a letter to an address in New Hampshire. Anyone know of an email address (surprised that wasn't offered as an option)?.

What section of the Trail, Buckles? There's a very good chance the field editor is a member of WhiteBlaze.

Info sent to the ATC's email needs to be double-checked, usually by that section's editor, before being added to the updates page.

rickb
01-06-2007, 17:54
TJ, Is the 2007 Companion going to be made available on-line?

TJ aka Teej
01-06-2007, 17:58

Yup, no change to that policy, and still at no charge.

rickb
01-06-2007, 18:01
I couldn't find it.

There was a link to buy it "on-line".

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2007, 18:11
Interesting idea:

Both of the two main A.T. handbooks are revised every year. This is a pains-taking, cumbersome, very involved process, as each book contains literally thousands of facts and figures that need to be checked and re-checked each year.....mileage figure, hours of operation of businesses, mailing addresses, E-Mail addresses, and so on.

There's a lot more to this than you might think. I've contributed in a small capacity to both books over the years and I have nothing but respect for the principal authors and editors who put these things together. It's a crazy ammount of work.

It is impossible for these books to be 100% accurate. And this does not necessarily indicate laxness or sloppiness on the parts of the authors/editors.
Sometimes, when one calls to verify info, one is min-informed. Frequently, policies, and especially, prices, may change. And remember, these books are put together in the fall and published early in the year. In many cases, hikers are out til October or later (in the case of Southbounders, they may be out til January!) which means that in many cases, people are using information and material that was collected, compiled, and verified a whole year previously. It's inevitable that there will be some changes or discrepancies.

Here's my idea:

In the next few weeks lots of Whiteblaze folks will be receiving the new 2007 Thru-Hikers Companion and Thru-Hikers Handbook. I suggest that folks carefully read these books, and if they think they've found an error or omission, they do the following things:

*First, contact the Author/Editor of the book in question, so they know about the mistake and can "fix" it for the next edition.

*Secondly, I think it'd be great if we had a permanent thread here at Whiteblaze called something like "Changes/Errors/Omissions, 2007 Trail Guides"
so that the 2007 hikers can periodically check in here before and during their trip.....that way if a hostel in Virginia closes, or a new B&B opens in Maine, or whatever, the hikers will have a better chance of knowing about this BEFORE they get there. I think it'd be great if these mistakes/omissions were posted here so people could access this at any time, from anywhere on the Trail. This would be especially useful if some totally new business or facility opens during the 2007 season; obviously this wouldn't be in any of the Trail handbooks. If there was a permanent thread here about such things, I think a lot of the 2007 folks would find this useful. At the end of the hiking season, the entire thread can be forwarded to the authors/editors of the Companion and Handbook, as they might find it useful for next year's editions.

Anyone think this is a good idea?

TJ aka Teej
01-06-2007, 18:20
I couldn't find it.

There was a link to buy it "on-line".

Checking on it, Rick

TJ aka Teej
01-06-2007, 18:23
I suggest that folks carefully read these books, and if they think they've found an error or omission, they do the following things:

*First, contact the Author/Editor of the book in question, so they know about the mistake and can "fix" it for the next edition.

*Secondly, I think it'd be great if we had a permanent thread here at Whiteblaze called something like "Changes/Errors/Omissions, 2007 Trail Guides"
so that the 2007 hikers can periodically check in here before and during their trip.....that way if a hostel in Virginia closes, or a new B&B opens in Maine, or whatever, the hikers will have a better chance of knowing about this BEFORE they get there. I think it'd be great if these mistakes/omissions were posted here so people could access this at any time, from anywhere on the Trail. This would be especially useful if some totally new business or facility opens during the 2007 season; obviously this wouldn't be in any of the Trail handbooks. If there was a permanent thread here about such things, I think a lot of the 2007 folks would find this useful. At the end of the hiking season, the entire thread can be forwarded to the authors/editors of the Companion and Handbook, as they might find it useful for next year's editions.

Anyone think this is a good idea?
I do. ATTroll and I were taking a few weeks back about doing something new to the WhiteBlaze AT database - which is in the 'donors' section (that needs to change, imo)
Here's some of what I posted there:
----
I once tried to impress Earl Shaffer by telling him I helped write for the Companion. "Guidebooks ain't worth spit," says he, "at the very best all they can be is a report of what the trail was like last year."
That's something a live website can fix.
The best thing about the Companion is that the info is collected by people who visit the service providers and hike the trail they write about. I suggest recruiting WBers to adopt short sections, and become the editor (moderator?) of info submissions by other WBers. Dozens of folks supply info - one or two persons confirm it and submit it to the main listing. (submission and guide would have to be seperate sections.)
Bad thing about the Companion - no editorial comments, just dry listings. I can't say "Ed's hostel is too loud, stay at Freds." The old Philosopher's Guide wouldn't list 'bad' motels. It takes a lot to be 'de-listed' by the Companion.
The Philosopher's Guide also would say stuff like "BigBen '88 says there's a good swimming hole about a mile north of Such-n-So Shelter. Watch for a little path just after the third bog bridge." and "Joe '86 had his jacket stole at the laundrymat, so leave somebody to watch your stuff if you eat lunch across the road (ask for Lois, and get extra pie)" I miss that kind of personal advice. I think we (WB) should form a partnership with ATC/ALDHA/Companion. The great thing about in-season Companion updates is getting them listed on the ATC's webpage. The bad thing about that is few currently-hiking thru-hikers read their web page. Updates we (WB) find out about should be submitted to the ATC update page for future inclusion in the Companion.
And here's an idea (that'll be a lot of work for the WB webmaster) start a gallery type South to North listing of the Parks, Hostels, Lean-tos, Trail Clubs, etc. that look like little webpage [banner] ads.
>picture of Shaws with the new owners a-waving<
Opens for '07 on ---, closes on---.
Rates are --- No suppers on -- and --, so see LuLu down at the General Store or get a pizza up at the Gas Station. Folks staying at Rebekah's are welcome for breakfast.
>pic of Buddy serving up a 4x4<
In '05 Barf ordered a Six-by with extra syrup and ate it all!
>pic of the 100 Mile Widerness sign on Rte 16<
MATC says ---- and ---- or you'll die.
> pic of that crappy ford at Little Wilson<
In '06 TJ ruined his new camera here.
> pic of blurry wet hiker<

TJ aka Teej
01-06-2007, 18:35
The link isn't prominently featured on ALDHA's website, presumably to make people buy the actual hard copy.
It was featured prominently on the Companion page of the ALDHA site in '06.
---------
http://web.archive.org/web/20060529170052/www.aldha.org/companyn.htm

The online Companion
You can now download a copy of the 2006 Thru-Hikers Companion off the ALDHA Web site in Acrobat Reader format. We hope you will like what you see and be encouraged to buy a copy to help keep this project going.
---------
At every recent Gathering there's been a motion made to stop "giving away" the Companion on-line. If that's finally happened, it's news to me. I'm trying to find out what's up. Thanks for the heads-up Rick, but it's probably just not up yet.

Fannypack
01-06-2007, 18:56
http://www.aldha.org/07book.htm
maybe there is just no link on the site...

Fannypack
01-06-2007, 19:01
http://www.aldha.org/07book.htm
maybe there is just no link on the site...
oops, no links to the files for each section, sorry I jumped the gun, I will keep looking...

TJ aka Teej
01-06-2007, 19:26
Originally Posted by rickboudrie

Yup, no change to that policy, and still at no charge.

Direct word from Skeeter and Mrs Gorp:

The '07 Companion will still be available for free online, as usual.

Buckles
02-06-2007, 01:52
Ok, ok!

You're the ones making a big deal out of this, so here's the correction. Most probably won't give a crap (pun intended).

Page 15 of the 2007 Companion reads that Low Gap Shelter (GA) has no privy. I camped there in November and there certainly is a privy. The '06 Companion also listed Low Gap Shelter with no privy. I have no idea when the privy was erected, but it's there.

So, everyone get out your Companion and make a note. Seating is
available at Low Gap Shelter!

Happy?

Sly
02-06-2007, 02:02
I'm still wondering what Buckles correction was. :-? I hope it wasn't in my section! :o

Buckles
02-06-2007, 02:06
I'm still wondering what Buckles correction was. :-? I hope it wasn't in my section! :o

Why do I bother.

Sly
02-06-2007, 02:07
I don't know. I can't understand the big secret.

Sly
02-06-2007, 02:09
Sorry man. I was on page one when I posted. Your update is on page 2.

Marta
02-06-2007, 07:34
Here's my idea:
so that the 2007 hikers can periodically check in here before and during their trip.....Anyone think this is a good idea?

I think it's a great idea. It would be especially helpful to SOBOs if info like late-season closings are posted. Sometimes B&B owners go away for November and December holidays; sometimes campgrounds close for the season, but don't mention it is the guides... Payphones got ripped out in great numbers in 2006. Places went out of business.

Great idea!

Marta/Five-Leaf

Lobo
02-06-2007, 08:43
Part of the Field Editor's responsibilities is to contact the local maintaining club for their section of the trail and inquire about any trail related changes, new shelters or trail relocations. They are also to check on water sources and is there a privy.
Sometimes trail clubs don't respond to email requests for information.