PDA

View Full Version : Trail Shoes

simon
01-06-2007, 07:55
HI, i received a gift card for Christmas and want to purchase new trail shoes. What do you all recommend pertaining to brands and how they hold up on the trail?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-06-2007, 08:35
May I ask your usual pack weight? It makes a difference in what footwear you need.

fiddlehead
01-06-2007, 09:14
Fit is EVERYTHING! and you should buy them at least one size too big!
( i usually go 2 sizes bigger for a thru-hike) ( if i'm ultra running, it's just one)

dre+samantha
01-06-2007, 10:20
Fit is EVERYTHING! and you should buy them at least one size too big!
( i usually go 2 sizes bigger for a thru-hike) ( if i'm ultra running, it's just one)

very true....a great trail shoe....you cant go wrong with, The Montrail Hurricane Ridge xcr....worth every penny.:banana

Big Dawg
01-06-2007, 11:42
HI, i received a gift card for Christmas and want to purchase new trail shoes. What do you all recommend pertaining to brands and how they hold up on the trail?

I'm fond of my Merrell Chameleon Wrap trail runners. It has a stiffer sole than most trail runners giving plenty of support for pack weight. I usually carry around 35 lbs. Mine are relatively new, but I've heard they hold up well on long hikes. Like Fiddlehead said,, fit is everything. I was previously hell-bent on getting the Montrail Hardrock b/c of it's great reputation, but it just didn't fit my foot very well.

maxNcathy
01-06-2007, 11:48
Hi Simon, Sierra trading Post has New Balance 809 Trail runners REDUCED for $55.# I bought a second pair the other day.tHEY ARE LIGHT AND TOUGH AND HAVE GREAT TRACTION. They come in wide widths too.

Sandalwood

Sly
01-06-2007, 11:54
I buy decent brands that I can find on sale. Lately it appears I need to buy even bigger shoes than normal.

Three brands I have for this year are Merrells, New Balance and Hi-Tech

Footslogger
01-06-2007, 12:00
Check out the Montrail Hard Rocks. There are some good deal on them via the internet. Got a pair recently for $59 ...normal price is in the $90 range.

'Slogger

Sly
01-06-2007, 12:04
Hi Simon, Sierra trading Post has New Balance 809 Trail runners REDUCED for $55.# I bought a second pair the other day.tHEY ARE LIGHT AND TOUGH AND HAVE GREAT TRACTION. They come in wide widths too.

Sandalwood

Hey thanks, I just ordered a couple pairs. Use coupon code 52044 for an additional 20%off orders of $75 or more.

Footslogger
01-06-2007, 12:37
I just grabbed a couple pair too. Haven't hiked in NB's yet but hard to beat at that price. It will be interesting to compare them with the Montrails I have coming in. Trying to make a decision on a shoe for the PCT so this will help.

Sly ...thanks for the heads-up on the discount code. Every little 20% helps !!

'Slogger

Sly
01-06-2007, 12:45
I just grabbed a couple pair too. Haven't hiked in NB's yet but hard to beat at that price. It will be interesting to compare them with the Montrails I have coming in. Trying to make a decision on a shoe for the PCT so this will help.

Sly ...thanks for the heads-up on the discount code. Every little 20% helps !!

'Slogger

Slogger, If you haven't tried NB yet I hope you ordered atleast 1/2 size larger than normal. They definitely run small. I ordered a full size larger. I'd call and change my order if you didn't.

Sly
01-06-2007, 12:47
Slogger are you hiking the PCT this year? Will you be attending the KickOff, which i reccommend? I hope to make it out, if i can find a ride from AZ or NM.

Footslogger
01-06-2007, 13:22
Slogger are you hiking the PCT this year? Will you be attending the KickOff, which i reccommend? I hope to make it out, if i can find a ride from AZ or NM.
=======================================

Not hiking the PCT this year but might try and make it out to the KickOff.

'Slogger

yappy
01-06-2007, 13:46
I LOVED the addidas trail response back in the day. I don't think they make then anymore though.. The Montrail hardrock are awesome... very VERY comfy and great tread.... that last awhile too.

hopefulhiker
01-06-2007, 13:47
Montrail Hard Rocks, if you are planning a thru size up and get a couple of pairs...