PDA

View Full Version : Magical Pack Weight Reducer

the_iceman
01-06-2007, 09:37
I have been experimenting with a helium filled weather balloon attached to may pack to offset its weight. It is a wonderful sensation to “moon-walk” where with one step you can “hop” 10 yards. You can really make some time and you do not feel the pack weight at all.

1. Here are a few bugs that need to be worked out:

2. It tangles in dense foliage.

3. You can get blown off a mountain above the tree line

4. You can fall out of your pack harness on high bounces if not fitted properly

5. If you lighten your load too much during the day by drinking water and eating snacks you may just float away.

Please do not try this at home. This method should only be attempted in a controlled environment by trained personnel. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-06-2007, 10:22
::: considered blowing fiery breath at Iceman, but was afaid he'd melt / make a mess and the balloon would explode :D :::

Jaybird
01-06-2007, 10:25
Yo Icey....

i'll buy the patent for 25 cents!
hehehehehehe:D

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2007, 10:32
Didn't I see something like this on TV, perhaps on "Mythbusters" - or was it "Jackass"?:D

I had a somewhat similar idea with my golf bag. I may never get to St. Andrews, but my clubs(minus the 5 iron) may have.:eek:

hopefulhiker
01-06-2007, 10:49
I also had a theory about holding gas inside instead of passing it, thus creating an internal balloon.. But is the discomfort worth it? Maybe just an uphill technique...

maxNcathy
01-06-2007, 11:43
Four carrier pigeons will airlift your pack from shelter to shelter. If over 30 pounds add one seagull and two chickadees.

Sandalwood

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2007, 12:15
I also had a theory about holding gas inside instead of passing it, thus creating an internal balloon...

Hmm, an internal methane balloon...:-? Wait! I've got it! How about a Hydrogen derrigible? It has much greater lift than the Helium balloon, AND it solves the cooking gas and greenhouse gas issues, AND...what's that smell...:eek: Oh the humanity!

Nevermind... :D

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2007, 12:36
I also had a theory about holding gas inside instead of passing it, thus creating an internal balloon.. But is the discomfort worth it? Maybe just an uphill technique...

Instructions: Align body uphill, ask fellow hiker to "pull my finger".

Alternate instructions: Align body in direction of travel, back up close to morning campfire...5, 4, initiate fuel flow, 3, 2, ignition sequence started, 1, we have lift-off of STS-1 (Super Thru-hike System)...FlamingHiker is go at throttle-up...

:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-06-2007, 12:53
::: changes 4eyedbuzzard's trail name to Flaming Arrow :::

BTW, me and my fiery breath could follow you up the trail... you eat beans and onions - I flame your tail all the way to ME.

the_iceman
01-06-2007, 13:12
I am also planning a whole line of add-on devices.

1. Cell phone antenna extension (extra altitude – greater range)

2. Under slung umbrella & rain collector for hydration

3. Balloon cam

4. Power collector/battery charger for use in lightening storms

5. Solar panels maybe

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2007, 13:17
Follow me and you'll be lucky to make Damascus in the same year you start - even with firey motivation. ;)

Socrates
01-06-2007, 13:23
I hate to burst your bubble, but the balloon theory would not work at all. I tried it on the roof with my dog when I was a kid and had to put her to sleep.

Sleepy the Arab
01-06-2007, 13:26
Four carrier pigeons will airlift your pack from shelter to shelter. If over 30 pounds add one seagull and two chickadees.

Sandalwood

I prefer using swallows myself.

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2007, 13:27
I tried it on the roof with my dog when I was a kid and had to put her to sleep.

Brings back memories of WKRP and flying turkeys.

Socrates
01-06-2007, 17:20
I hate to burst your bubble, but the balloon theory would not work at all. I tried it on the roof with my dog when I was a kid and had to put her to sleep.

Ok, I can't bare the thought of someone thinking I actually did that. I was kidding! The bushes broke her fall... Kidding again!

briarpatch
01-06-2007, 17:34
Brings back memories of WKRP and flying turkeys.

:eek: "I swear, with God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" - Mr. Carlson, WKRP Station Manager

GitRdone
01-06-2007, 18:12
Well that is really Silly :sun but, lets give credit where it's due. This is definitley thinking outside the box and being inventive even though it does not seem real practical. Keep your head open big guy... and keep on inventing.

Bud

T-BACK
01-06-2007, 18:29
I prefer using swallows myself.

African or European swallows?

Blade
01-06-2007, 19:03

I've had good results from the Wonka Fizzy-Lifting drink ... duel use as you can hydrate & reduce FSO weight ...

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2007, 21:23
African or European swallows?

Huh? I dont know that. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh [4eyedbuzzard is flung off the Bridge of Death into the Gorge of Eternal Peril.]:D

fishinfred
01-06-2007, 23:50
3. You can get blown off a mountain above the tree line

As long as I had a soft landing wherever I landed ....sounds cool to me
See ya.... gotta go to town ......get a helium re supply :D

There is also the solor powered Heli-Pack to think about.......:banana