PDA

View Full Version : Flooded Trail in southern Mass.

DebW
06-22-2003, 16:16
There is a 300 yard section of trail in southern Massachusetts between Rt. 7 and West Rd. which is completely underwater. There are bog bridges there, but they are submerged or floating. If you cross this (and I did it) you will be well over the tops of your boots in water. If you have sandals, use them. Otherwise consider walking around on the roads. If NOBO, you will come down Jug End and cross Jug End Rd. (dirt), in 2.7 miles cross Sheffied Rd./South Egremont Rd. (paved) by the Shay's Rebellion Monument, then come to West Rd. in another 1.2 miles. Go right here, take the first left on Lime Kiln Rd., cross the RR track, and turn left on Rt. 7. The AT will be found crossing Rt. 7 in about 1/2-3/4 mile. Heading SOBO, turn left at Rt. 7, right at Lime Kiln Rd. and then right on West Rd./West Sheffield Rd. Guess the flooding is a periodic problem with beavers flood the trail, but everything is so WET right now.

Peaks
06-22-2003, 17:49
It may be preferable to road walk that section anyway. There were some of the worst bugs and skeeters on the entire trail on that section when I hiked through in July.

DebW
06-26-2003, 11:41
I talked to the Mass. AT Chairman and found out that the flooding is caused by a culvert under the railroad track which gets clogged periodically. It was cleaned out a month ago but has clogged again with all the recent rain. He was sending someone to clean it this week, but my guess is that it will take a few days after that for the water to subside. He keeps a rake in a tree near the culvert for the cleaning operation.