PDA

View Full Version : Two years until a thru hike... what to do???

2009ThruHiker
01-06-2007, 20:37
Ok, so I know I'm not supposed to overplan for my 2009 thruhike. I haven't done much at all yet except hang out on Whiteblaze, read AT books, watch AT DVD's, and hike whenever possible (dream about new gear, etc.).
Based on previous experience, is there any one out there who would recommend any planning this far out from a thru hike (two years)? If so, what?
Just a hopeful thru-hiker wanting to make my hike more of a reality in some way!

Lilred
01-06-2007, 20:50
Ok, so I know I'm not supposed to overplan for my 2009 thruhike. I haven't done much at all yet except hang out on Whiteblaze, read AT books, watch AT DVD's, and hike whenever possible (dream about new gear, etc.).
Based on previous experience, is there any one out there who would recommend any planning this far out from a thru hike (two years)? If so, what?
Just a hopeful thru-hiker wanting to make my hike more of a reality in some way!

If you're not doing it already, start saving money. It'll take a lot more than you think.

You're close to the trail, maybe you could do some shuttling. Try to make it to Trail Days this year. Lots of gear reps there, you can check out the latest in gear. Help shuttle hikers back to Damascus for that weekend.

2009ThruHiker
01-06-2007, 20:56
I'd love to thru this year, but my wife and I are waiting until our daughter graduates in 2008 before setting off. I've done some sections of the AT already, and I'm hoping not to hike much more until our through hike.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Trail days sounds like a good time.

Johnny Swank
01-06-2007, 20:59
I'd get as many miles in as you can before your thru-hike. They certainly don't need to be on the AT, but nothing prepares you for thru-hiking better than backpacking in all conditions ahead of time. Figure out what works for you and you'll be golden.

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2007, 21:02
As someone else said, start saving money. And start exercising - inclined treadmill, stair climber, local hiking, etc. and don't forget flexibility exercise(injury prevention) Anything you can do to increase cardio pulmonary function and stamina will pay off big time during the early part of your thru-hike.

The Snowman
01-06-2007, 21:03
One of the best things you can do this far out is to try and drive as much as the trail as you can. Visit trail towns hike, short sections, just try and get a feel for the trail. Its not just the knowage you gain but that you remove some the fear involved in a hike.

Footslogger
01-06-2007, 21:04

======================================

That's the year I'm doing the PCT so I'm right there with you. When I was down to 2 years before my AT departure I had the eebeejeebees too. What worked for me was to read everything I could get my hands on and watch all the DVD's available. I worked on different ways to pack my pack and experimented with the various foods I planned to carry on the trail.

That kept my mind occupied and time flew by. Before I knew it I was standing on Springer looking north.

Just stay busy and refine your gear, clothing and food. It'll be here before you know it.

'Slogger

Jan LiteShoe
01-06-2007, 23:28

Backpack.
I hiked the Long Trail the year before my thru - it's a legitimate long distance hike in it's own right - to see if I really liked long distance backpacking.
It was so hard I thought I would never backpack again.
Of course, I did.
:)

Sly
01-07-2007, 01:02
Go hiking and save money. The more you do of both beforehand, the better.

Sly
01-07-2007, 01:07
One of the best things you can do this far out is to try and drive as much as the trail as you can. Visit trail towns hike, short sections, just try and get a feel for the trail. Its not just the knowage you gain but that you remove some the fear involved in a hike.

Sorry, can't agree with that... No need to be fearful or visit the trail or towns beforehand.

hammock engineer
01-07-2007, 04:19
I had to postpone my thru from last year to this year. It gave me time to do more hiking and really think out my gear. I have since changed out my stove, hammock, pack, and countless small things. I also know how to use each piece of gear I carry a lot better and save up more money. All in all I think it was a good move.

Pokey2006
01-07-2007, 04:43
I'm with Sly. Part of the fun of hiking the trail is traveling into new towns you've never been in before. Visiting them ahead of time would take some of the adventure out of the trip.

I'd recommend hiking anywhere EXCEPT on the AT. Save that for the real thing. But definitely do a lot of hiking somewhere else to get in top trail shape.

the_iceman
01-07-2007, 10:12
I prepared for 40 years. I section hiked for a week to 10 days at a time from Katahdin to the Hudson River. I usually went SoBo which allowed me to talk to a lot more thru-hikers. You get first hand advice while it is fresh in their minds and really see how big or small their packs are and what they carry.

You can also carry a little extra food and do some trail angeling.

One story I can relate is that my brother and I always asked “how many miles a day to you do?” A lot of responses were 18 to 20 or 20 to 25. We carried bigger packs and were older but we figured if we were going to be successful thru-hikers we need to get our weight down and our mileage up. Keep in mind we started in Maine and went south.
One day after a late arrival at camp after 18 mile day thru the Whites we were talking to middle aged couple who were thru-hiking. They asked us; “how many miles did you do today?” When we told him 18 he was shocked. He said “No one does 18 in the Whites, that is further south”

We started reading the shelter registers a little more thoroughly and most people did more like 10 to 12 in the Whites. A few still did some big miles but that was the exception.

So ask a lot of questions but take everything with a grain of salt. Keep eliminating the extra crap in your pack, and read the trail logs when ever you can. Get gear you like. Just because everyone uses stove X don’t use it if you hate it. When you hit the trail listen to your body. Some people can walk 20 a day some can only walk 10. The lucky people in life get one shot at the trail. The truly blessed get a few more.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 10:17

From the time I had the first thought of walking the AT to actually standing on Springer Mtn. was less than 9 months. 2009 is a long way off. Just hang out here on Whiteblaze.

Namaste
01-07-2007, 17:24
2009 is a long way off. Just hang out here on Whiteblaze.

That's the best advice and I'm taking it. I'd be starting this year if I could but time (life) commitments dictates no sooner than 2010. But THAT'S FINAL! I'm gonna suck in all the information and learn from everyone all that I need to know so that I'm well prepared. I agree about not spending too much time hiking the AT and visiting towns along a thru beforehand for some sort of comfort zone. Part of the adventure is coming across something new whether a town, shelter, whatever where you can hang out before getting back on the trail. There's nothing scary out there. Just a great adventure:D!

2009ThruHiker
01-07-2007, 18:05
Again, I appreciate all the advice. I agree with staying off of the AT for the most part until our thru hike...we've hiked some pretty scenic sections of the AT already, and when we encounter them again, IMHO, they won't be as astounding and breathtaking as the first time we saw them.
Whiteblaze is great, we have began a workout regimen focusing on cardio which has already shown its success in our recent hikes in the Smokies, and I hope to put many of these other suggestions into practice as time nears. I really like the idea of doing another long distance hike in the meantime, but work won't allow more than nine days off at a time.
Again, thanks to all!

Jan LiteShoe
01-07-2007, 18:14
I really like the idea of doing another long distance hike in the meantime, but work won't allow more than nine days off at a time.
Again, thanks to all!

Foothills Trail in SC (at NC border) is an option. Not that far from you.
76-82 miles, depending on who you talk to. Combine a few days with a holiday to get the time.

I'm sure there are other trails in this range.

Appalachian Tater
01-07-2007, 19:06
1. If you need to lose weight or quit smoking, do it.
2. Break in three pairs of hiking shoes if you know what kind you like. If not, break in one pair.
3. You have time to plan your gear to be really light.

rafe
01-07-2007, 19:49
Go hiking. As time and your condition allow, make the hikes longer and harder. Buy the basic gear, test it out and learn how to use it. I think it's silly to "avoid" the AT prior to a thru hike. There are folks here on WB that have done it many times over.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 20:55
That's the best advice and I'm taking it. I'd be starting this year if I could but time (life) commitments dictates no sooner than 2010. But THAT'S FINAL! I'm gonna suck in all the information and learn from everyone all that I need to know so that I'm well prepared. I agree about not spending too much time hiking the AT and visiting towns along a thru beforehand for some sort of comfort zone. Part of the adventure is coming across something new whether a town, shelter, whatever where you can hang out before getting back on the trail. There's nothing scary out there. Just a great adventure:D!

Good for you. One doesn't need to do "practice hikes" or "shakedowns", etc. Just make sure whatever footwear you choose and backpack you choose fits extremely well and comfortable. Walking ain't rocket science. It's in your brain housing group. minnesotasmith proved that. I've seen dozens of 20-something-year-olds with 20lb. packs and and 1000s of hours on websites getting "knowledge" about how to walk the AT, go home. Thru-hikin' ain't no biggie.:)

Lilred
01-08-2007, 01:28
[QUOTE=2009ThruHiker;298746]Again, I appreciate all the advice. I agree with staying off of the AT for the most part until our thru hike...we've hiked some pretty scenic sections of the AT already, and when we encounter them again, IMHO, they won't be as astounding and breathtaking as the first time we saw them.
[QUOTE]

Yes they will

esmithz
01-09-2007, 07:43
Save money and get as much backpacking overnight experience as you can. Try to get in a four day weekend here and there just to get a better feel for what you are in for. At your age the trail will whip you into condition quickley. Be careful not to throw too much money and time into aquiring gear/clothes/boots. Put together something basic and inexpensive and use that for a while. Go alone a couple of times and then go with one or two other people other times. Keep a journal of your hiking experiences and record how you feel emotionaly and physically during and after the hikes. If you have the time and money try to visit a trail town on the AT at a time when there will be alot of thru hikers. Harpers ferry would be good since by that time any thru hikers you talk to will have "endured". You can see their gear and get some good advice. I tried a thru hike but left trail after 4.5 weeks. The trail beat me down pretty bad. I would say the main reason. Inexperience. You have to love being on the trail and living out of a pack. If you can get to that point you will succeed. Good luck.

rickb
01-09-2007, 08:22
All good advise.

In addition to all of the above, you might also consider taking advantage of some other kinds of outdoor/natural history activities going on in your area. I am thinking everything from getting out on local birding walks, to programs with the local astronomy club, to Audubon trips looking for salamanders.

None of the above will make you a better hiker, but I don't think any of it could hurt. And you never know, some bit of all that could resonate, and might help you find that extra bit of joy on the AT that could keep you walking farther than you might have otherwise.