PDA

View Full Version : Reality A.T.?

Bloodroot
01-06-2007, 22:22
Discovery channel has Survivorman and Man vs. Wild. CBS? started with Survivor and "Great Race" (or whatever it's called). Anyhow, browsing around I came upon how Discovery channel what looking for people in a new reality TV show http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/11/discovery_tv_wa.php
dealing with urban families who decided to take upon a self-sufficient environmental life.

I sit back and wonder sometimes, how long till someone (with enough $) decides to make a Reality TV show about the AT, possibly turning it into some kind of idiotic race? If so, how dramatic do you think the effects might be on the AT community and those who seek something most TV viewers can never come to appreciate?

Chaco Taco
01-06-2007, 23:04
I hope this NEVER NEVER HAppens!!!!:mad:

humunuku
01-07-2007, 17:52
There was a show, oh around 2000, that was about the A.T. Basically they gave a camera to a few people and had them record their hike (basically a video trail journal). Don't know what channel it was on.

strnorm
01-07-2007, 20:52
I heard some time back robert redford was making a movie about the AT.???:mad:

Green Bean
01-07-2007, 21:00
A movie/document, ahh w/e. but a reality show i think would ruin the trail. thats just my opinion. ~GB

Lugnut
01-07-2007, 23:44
Since it is to be a reality show will contestants be required to eat grubs? :eek:
Include me out. :p

Spcshiznit
01-07-2007, 23:47
I hope this NEVER NEVER HAppens!!!!:mad:

I have to agree with this.

Wonder
01-07-2007, 23:47
I think that a reality show would ruin the trail

Lone Wolf
01-08-2007, 00:12
I think that a reality show would ruin the trail

ruin it how? it's the most famous, writtren about trail in the world.

bfitz
01-08-2007, 00:21
ruin it how? it's the most famous, writtren about trail in the world.

If it was a reality show type documenary that would be one thing. A contest would be another. A big prize for winning would probably be the worst aspect. But we're probably not talking about that many additional people after all is said and done. A couple of books is one thing, but a big movie with Newman and Redford followed by a network reality series would bring it to a whole new level. On the other hand, some of us might get to be on TV.

Grandma Dixie
01-08-2007, 00:23
I heard some time back robert redford was making a movie about the AT.???:mad:

Thats he movie adaptation of "A Walk in the Woods"- dont know if its still coming out or not.

rhjanes
01-08-2007, 10:33
remember: NOTHING on a "reality show" has any semblance of real life.

Bare Bear
01-08-2007, 10:44
Total mutual destruction. Actually a lot of my friends tell me I should go on Survivor. I say if they won't let me kill and eat the other contestants whats the point- it ain't survivor. Just kidding for those who do not recognise a joke.

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2007, 18:02
As a reality show, it'd fail miserably.

It'd be amazingly boring for the viewers, because the simple reality is that a very great deal of what happens on a thru-hike is only of interest to the person actually doing the hiking.

And sometimes, not even to him.

dre+samantha
01-08-2007, 18:36
In 1995 Backpacker magazine gave out 28 to 30 camera's to that many hikers. When they were done the magazine came out with a two show series, about an hour each on what happened. If I can remember only about 7 people made it...it was pretty cool I guess. Forget about a reality series, I wanna see that crazy guy Dean Karnazes run the AT holding and eating a large pizza and cheese cake. That would be much better.:banana

icemanat95
01-08-2007, 18:55
In 1995 Backpacker magazine gave out 28 to 30 camera's to that many hikers. When they were done the magazine came out with a two show series, about an hour each on what happened. If I can remember only about 7 people made it...it was pretty cool I guess. Forget about a reality series, I wanna see that crazy guy Dean Karnazes run the AT holding and eating a large pizza and cheese cake. That would be much better.:banana

I knew one guy who was involved in that (It was the Trailplace/Backpacker Magazine TV show), "Bald Eagle." He eventually made it to the Big K, took him until November though (he got sidetracked along the way a bit). That same year a bunch of Newspapers up and down the East Coast sent out reporters to section hike the trail and report on it. That made a pretty neat series of newspaper stories and eventually a decent book.

That's about as close to a reality series as I'd be interested in seeing.

cutman11
01-08-2007, 19:53
SHHHHHHHHHH...lets all keep the AT our little secret, and maybe "they" wont find out about it, eh???

Lion King
01-09-2007, 12:57
I made a reality TV show called "Walking With Freedom"

It has music, laughs, real moments of drama and pain, and it is edited to look like a thru-hike.

What the critics area saying ---

"HE OutBrysoned Bryson!!!"
B. Jack

"I'll be jogging, then golfing, then at Dots, "
L. Wolf

So there ta go.

Green Bean
03-23-2007, 12:53
THere was a man i caught on the outdoor channel a while back who I think hiked like 10 kilometers in all the lower 48 in some record breaking amount of time but I think he hiked a few sections of the A.T. while he was hiking on the east coast. ~GB

Trailers
03-23-2007, 14:58
You guys have no vision.

Instead of reality TV, they should make it a fictional show, filmed to seem like a reality show, a teen rites of passage heartache drama, incorporating occasional stops for pool parties and trips to the mall. better still the leads would be called Shanequa and Cory.

now that would be AWESOME

Obsidian
03-23-2007, 15:08
I've worked on a reality show that filmed some people hiking, and it's quite funny the camera crew spent all day running with a camera, then walking backwards down the trail with the camera (a lot of times falling) letting the people walk towards and past the camera, then running again repeating.

so at least the people on the trail would get some sort of enjoyment watching that