PDA

View Full Version : Bad news today

mindi
01-07-2007, 00:44
I just heard today that my half brother has Hodgkin's (he had it and beat it a few years ago and it has returned). He needs a bone marrow transplant.

Our father and his mother are both deceased, and he has no other siblings, so they want to test me to see if I may be a match. If I am a match, I will have to postpone my hike and head to NY.

I'm hoping that they can find a match, either in myself or on the bone marrow registry. Please keep us in your thoughts!

Mindi

ed bell
01-07-2007, 00:49
You are in my prayers.

yappy
01-07-2007, 00:52
I am sorry to hear that. ..wishing you all the best .Keep the faith..

Jim Adams
01-07-2007, 01:07
praying for you Mindi, hope all goes well.

hammock engineer
01-07-2007, 02:37
Sorry to hear about that. You are definitly making the right decision. Family should come first. The trail will always be there.

RAT
01-07-2007, 02:40
A very close hiker trash friend of mine has been battling Hodgkins for the past few months. I will now pray for both and hope for the best.

RAT

bfitz
01-07-2007, 03:42
This disease has hit more than one hiker close to home. Good luck Mindi. the trail isn't goin anywhere.

peter_pan
01-07-2007, 07:24
Praying for you ...good luck Mindi.

Pan

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-07-2007, 08:53
Prayers for you and your brother.

moondoggy
01-07-2007, 11:46
Mindi....we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. If there is anything we might do...please don't hesitate

TJ aka Teej
01-07-2007, 11:51
I'm hoping that they can find a match, either in myself or on the bone marrow registry. Please keep us in your thoughts!

Mindi

You betcha, good luck to you and your brother, Mindi.

Blissful
01-07-2007, 14:54
I'm so sorry, Mindi. I do hope it works out and there is a match. May you be victorious over this!

WhoAh
01-07-2007, 19:07
Mindi - as others have said, you and your brother will be in our thoughts and prayers. I have registered with the bone marrow registry as I hope many of the others on this formum have.

If not - ya'll please do, it could make a big difference in someone's life.

Jan LiteShoe
01-07-2007, 19:41
So sorry to hear about your brother, Mindy. And what a gift you might possibly be giving him.
It's a wrench to be uncertain about both your hike and your brother. Hugs to you.
Please, keep us posted.

little bear
01-07-2007, 21:12
Sorry to hear that I will pray for you and your brother.

The Weasel
01-07-2007, 21:26
I just heard today that my half brother has Hodgkin's (he had it and beat it a few years ago and it has returned). He needs a bone marrow transplant.

Our father and his mother are both deceased, and he has no other siblings, so they want to test me to see if I may be a match. If I am a match, I will have to postpone my hike and head to NY.

Mindi
Mindi --

You've impelled me, finally, to find out where I need to go to register as a donor. ( WWW. MARROW.ORG ) You're in my thoughts and prayers, and along with everyone else here I wish you well.

The Weasel

bfitz
01-07-2007, 21:34
Mindi --

You've impelled me, finally, to find out where I need to go to register as a donor. ( WWW. MARROW.ORG ) You're in my thoughts and prayers, and along with everyone else here I wish you well.

The WeaselExcellent idea!!!! I know of one person (a hiker) who gave a sample sort of spontaneously in a drive at school. Years later, he was contacted and was able to donate, thanks to that spontaneous decision years before.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-07-2007, 21:42
Many members of my family are registered as a result of my first son having leukemia. I wouldn't have been a match (different blood type) but I can't give blood or donor marrow (no spleen due to a childhood injury). We weren't able to find a match in time. :( Please register.

Dancer
01-07-2007, 22:03
Hey y'all,

Good time to remind everyone how important it is to be a part of the Bone Marrow Registry and to keep your address up to date with the Red Cross. One of us could help Mindi's brother but we have to be registered. Mindi, my prayers are with you and your brother.

Amazonwoman

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 22:08
How does one ACTUALLY go about registering.

chelko
01-07-2007, 22:41
Having as many people registed as possible is always a good thing. About 5 years ago an assistant scoutmaster at one of the troops in Charlotte needed a transplant, things weren't looking good for a match on the register. One of the scouts decided that oranizing a marrow drive to find a match would be a worthwile Eagle Scout Service Project. We all held our breath knowing that it was probably a long shot. Well good news they found a match with a woman in the neighborhood, the transplant was a success and all is well.

Mindi we can all spread the word here on WB and hopefully that will impact your brother's situation, or a the very least help someone else in the future.

Goodluck and God Bless.

bfitz
01-07-2007, 23:57
How does one ACTUALLY go about registering.

Here's the Weasel's link....

http://www.marrow.org/

Lone Wolf
01-08-2007, 00:01
a $52 fee.

bfitz
01-08-2007, 00:12
hmmm..... there are probably registration drives going on at schools and such, like the one my friend got tapped by. The join in person option states that costs may vary. They sure don't make it easy....

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Registry/Join_in_Person/index.html?src=text

mindi
01-08-2007, 06:22
Thank you all so much for your kind words and support, and for considering registration! Hikers are such a caring bunch.

They are also running a bone marrow drive in his hometown. He's a volunteer firefighter and the whole force has come out. I hope they can find a match soon.

I've been trying to find information online about the odds of a match with a half-sibling but I haven't been able to find anything other than odds of a full sibling (1 in 4). So it's not looking good that I'll be a match. I also read that ethnicity plays a big part, and his mother was African-American, so I'm thinking that's probably another strike against me as a donor. If any of you or your friends/family that are African-American or mixed race can register, I encourage you to do so.

I'll keep you all posted on my brother's condition and the test results. Thank you again for all of your support.

Mindi

Dancer
01-08-2007, 10:00
a $52 fee.

I don't understand that. I didn't have to pay to register. Check with your local Red Cross. Maybe I stumbled up on a sponsored event or something but I don't remember any fee.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-08-2007, 10:54
There are (or were) organizations that do the tissue typing free-of-charge for potential donors. I will try to locate some of those and get back to you with the info. I don't believe any of my relatives paid when they joined (but that was back in 1974-75)

peanuts
01-08-2007, 15:40
Mindi, sending my prayers and best wishes for you and your brother. I hope you get some answers soon. The AT will be there for your hike.

Smile
01-08-2007, 16:17
Right on. Somebody post the URL please.... ;-)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-08-2007, 16:44
When you join the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) Registry, you may be asked to pay for your tissue typing.

Your tissue type is used to match you to patients. Your tissue type is identified by testing a sample of your blood or cheek cells. The amount you may be asked to pay for tissue typing ranges from $52 to $96, depending on where and how you join.

You can join today for $52 through online registration (http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Registry/Join_Now/join_now.html). For volunteers who join in person (http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Registry/Join_in_Person/index.html), sometimes all or part of the tissue-typing costs may be covered by a patient family, community group, corporation, The Marrow Foundation (http://www.marrow.org/ABOUT/About_The_Marrow_Foundation/index.html)® or other sponsor. The NMDP's partner, The Marrow Foundation, works hard to secure funding to help committed donors join. To find out whether there is an opportunity to have some or all of your cost to join covered, you can contact your local donor center (http://www.marrow.org/ABOUT/NMDP_Network/Donor_Centers/US_Donor_Centers/dc_list_by_state.pl) or recruitment group (http://www.marrow.org/ABOUT/NMDP_Network/Recruitment_Groups/rec_group.pl).

However, there are not enough funds to cover tissue-typing costs for the large number of donors needed. We count on people like you to help. Anything you pay to join the Registry is tax deductible.

If you are identified as a match for a patient, all medical costs of donation are covered.

I was also told that the need for minority donors is critical and that they can always join without charge thanks to donations by groups that support minority registrations.

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2007, 17:52
Wolf:

I just went to www.marrow.org and it's very informative, but unfortunately, there's 52-dollar fee for a tissue-typing kit; this will undoubtedly turn off a lot of folks.

My advice to you is this: Periodically one will see or hear about (usually thru a local newspaper) a marrow drive, i.e. an event where they want to test people as potential donors. Good news is this generally costs little or nothing; also, even if your marrow is no good for the intended person, your information, if you wish, goes into a data bank where it may someday help someone else. This how I got registered.

Also, people can contact their local Red Cross or the nearest Hospital to where they live for more information.

But I hope the "fee" doesn't turn a lot of people off. Joining a marrow bank (and regularly giving blood if you can) is a really fine thing to do.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-08-2007, 17:56
In some areas, their are standing donations from businesses or groups that offset all or some of the costs. The way to find out about the ones in your area is to click here (http://www.marrow.org/ABOUT/NMDP_Network/Donor_Centers/US_Donor_Centers/dc_list_by_state.pl) and find the donation center near you. Call them and ask.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2007, 17:56
I will most certainly sign up if there is a local donor drive.

The Weasel
01-08-2007, 18:14
I will most certainly sign up if there is a local donor drive.

There are several options that are better than "waiting" for a donor program, particularly since such donor programs may not be sufficiently publicized to come to someone's awareness, even in neighboring towns:

1) Contact your local hospital and as for the Oncology/Cancer Department. They will probably know of local programs.

2) Contact the nearest medical school and ask for their Oncology Department, for the same reason.

3) Contact the Red Cross.

4) Self-fundraise: Talk to 10 friends and ask each to contribute $5.

5) Minorities may be free, because of current very low participation levels among minorities: This is not limited to African-Americans, but includes Native Americans and, I think, Asians, Jewish people and others. If you are a member of a "classifiable" minority group for employment purposes (which also includes Spanish-surnamed and others) you should ask if your fee is waived.

6) Fasting Fundraising: Give up something that you regularly use/do until you are at the point where you would have spent $50. You may be amazed how fast that is (8 six-packs of Rolling Rock or a couple of cartons of cigs!)

Let's do it.

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2007, 18:39
Where I live, Weasel, 8 six-packs of Rolling Rock and a couple cartons of cigarettes is more like $110.00 bucks, but otherwise, your post was right on the money! :D

Lone Wolf
01-08-2007, 19:17
There are several options that are better than "waiting" for a donor program, particularly since such donor programs may not be sufficiently publicized to come to someone's awareness, even in neighboring towns:

1) Contact your local hospital and as for the Oncology/Cancer Department. They will probably know of local programs.

2) Contact the nearest medical school and ask for their Oncology Department, for the same reason.

3) Contact the Red Cross.

4) Self-fundraise: Talk to 10 friends and ask each to contribute $5.

5) Minorities may be free, because of current very low participation levels among minorities: This is not limited to African-Americans, but includes Native Americans and, I think, Asians, Jewish people and others. If you are a member of a "classifiable" minority group for employment purposes (which also includes Spanish-surnamed and others) you should ask if your fee is waived.

6) Fasting Fundraising: Give up something that you regularly use/do until you are at the point where you would have spent $50. You may be amazed how fast that is (8 six-packs of Rolling Rock or a couple of cartons of cigs!)

Let's do it.

The Weasel

Rolling Rock is piss. I prefer PBR. I don't smoke. Money ain't the issue. Knowing where to go to git-er-done is what I need. Now I know.

rcli4
01-08-2007, 19:41
In January 2003 I donated bone marrow. The spot where they extracted it was tender for a while and I couldn't drive long distance for about a week. About a year later I went to the Dr. for an unrelated issue and they gave me a letter from the mother of the person that received my marrow. Believe me the 52 bucks is very little to pay for the way I felt reading her letter. If I can figure out how I will scan it and post it.

Clyde

The Weasel
01-08-2007, 19:48
Rolling Rock is piss. I prefer PBR. I don't smoke. Money ain't the issue. Knowing where to go to git-er-done is what I need. Now I know.
Wolf, could you really, please try to type posts that aren't vulgar? On the one hand, you seem to be a pretty decent human being. On the other hand, it seems like almost every one has "p*ss" or "***" or some ethnic name that you later apologize for (and I'm sure you mean it but it would be nice not to see things in the first place). You could have said "Rolling Rock tastes bad".

Before everyone goes ballistic on me, this isn't a "rated" site (or I sure hope it's not) for "filtering" purposes. But in the past I've pointed youth at WhiteBlaze - Scouts, particularly, who love backpacking - and this language isn't something that's fun to see, particularly in the "public" forums.

I'm glad, Wolf, that you have some ideas; if you check the internet, you can see that it can be done by mail, too (with a check, of course, unless you fit minority status). That's a good thing you're doing, and I'm going to, as well.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
01-08-2007, 20:01
Rolling Rock tastes like what I THINK piss tastes like.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2007, 20:10
Wolf, could you really, please try to type posts that aren't vulgar?

Put me on your IGNORE list.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-08-2007, 20:40
Bless you rcli4 for donating and you LW for being willing to find out where and how to register.

Catsgoing
01-08-2007, 23:03
The power of prayer is amazing!

My prayers are with you and your brother.

1Pint
01-08-2007, 23:07

Mindi

Mindi,
So sorry to hear this. I'll keep you both in mind.
Laura

The Weasel
01-08-2007, 23:19
Put me on your IGNORE list.

"Ignore list" doesn't work for those of us who "read the forum." Instead, you should read the User Agreement and honor it.

The Weasel

The Weasel
01-08-2007, 23:21
If one goes to the site below, one can "sign up" on line. A test kit (requires a cheek swab) will be sent out, and can be returned with payment (if required). No need to go anywhere until there is a "match." It's very easy.

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Registry/Join_Now/join_now.html?src=text

The Weasel

mweinstone
01-08-2007, 23:25
i know your not suposed to pray in public so this is a parafrazing of my prayer for you:

god? mat here. i need one more thing. this girl needs a sunny day on springer to start her hike. next year. with her mind at rest knowing the cancer in the one she loves so much was beat quickly. and i need her to crack a tiny weeny smile as she turnes from the plaque and plants her first step, and i need her to remember how you did it all. and to think of her hike as a reward for bravery. and one more thing please jesus,...let her get all kinds of trail majik all the life long. love mat.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2007, 23:27
"Ignore list" doesn't work for those of us who "read the forum." Instead, you should read the User Agreement and honor it.

The Weasel

Just report me. I know you will.:rolleyes:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-08-2007, 23:28
::: blinks back tears ::: Matt, that was beautiful.

Gray Blazer
01-08-2007, 23:30
i know your not suposed to pray in public so this is a parafrazing of my prayer for you:

god? mat here. i need one more thing. this girl needs a sunny day on springer to start her hike. next year. with her mind at rest knowing the cancer in the one she loves so much was beat quickly. and i need her to crack a tiny weeny smile as she turnes from the plaque and plants her first step, and i need her to remember how you did it all. and to think of her hike as a reward for bravery. and one more thing please jesus,...let her get all kinds of trail majik all the life long. love mat.Who says you're not. Thankyou.

The Weasel
01-08-2007, 23:33

god? mat here. i need one more thing. this girl needs a sunny day on springer to start her hike. next year. with her mind at rest knowing the cancer in the one she loves so much was beat quickly. and i need her to crack a tiny weeny smile as she turnes from the plaque and plants her first step, and i need her to remember how you did it all. and to think of her hike as a reward for bravery. and one more thing please jesus,...let her get all kinds of trail majik all the life long. love mat.

Prayer can be public as long as it doesn't force anyone's right to silence in public away. Yours was very gentle and very welcome...and very appropriate.

The Weasel

bfitz
01-08-2007, 23:37
Amen.......!

copythat
01-09-2007, 00:50

mat, i don't even pray, and i still teared up when i read this. thank you. :)

and mindi, add me to the list of people pulling for you and your brother. i've been registered as an organ donor for years, but now i see there's more i can do -- while i'm still alive -- and i will.

Ratherbehiking
01-09-2007, 00:59
Yet another reason that for those who are healthy, please donate blood and sign up for the bone marrow registry. Prayers with you and your brother Mindi!

mindi
01-09-2007, 10:09
Thank you so much for your prayer, Mat. It brought tears to my eyes, as have all of your kind thoughts and words.

:) Mindi

Dancer
01-09-2007, 11:13
Prayer can be public as long as it doesn't force anyone's right to silence in public away. Yours was very gentle and very welcome...and very appropriate.

The Weasel

Weasel, must you be a 'lawyer' ALL THE TIME? It's a little annoying that you take every oppurtunity to inform us of the legal angle of every single thing. Hang it on a nail occasionally and be a hiker how about it. I'm sure there are doctors here that could give us deep medical lecture on every gear choice and food item we might take or use, but they don't because it would be annoying. Hint, hint.

Sorry Mindi if this detracts from the levity of this thread but it was the prime oppurtunity to say this. God bless.

The Weasel
01-09-2007, 15:26
Weasel, must you be a 'lawyer' ALL THE TIME? It's a little annoying that you take every oppurtunity to inform us of the legal angle of every single thing. Hang it on a nail occasionally and be a hiker how about it. I'm sure there are doctors here that could give us deep medical lecture on every gear choice and food item we might take or use, but they don't because it would be annoying. Hint, hint.

Sorry Mindi if this detracts from the levity of this thread but it was the prime oppurtunity to say this. God bless.
I was writing to let Mat know his hesitation was unnecessary. Thanks for telling me my way of doing so was wrong, at least to you. That was very neccesary, especially publicly, wasn't it, and far worse than using vulgarity, too?

The Weasel

1Pint
01-09-2007, 16:11
I was writing to let Mat know his hesitation was unnecessary. Thanks for telling me my way of doing so was wrong, at least to you. That was very neccesary, especially publicly, wasn't it, and far worse than using vulgarity, too?

The Weasel

This thread is about a fellow hiker and her family in a time of stress and uncertainty. Please sit on your hands and do NOT reply, just let this stay about Mindi and her brother and our thoughts of support for them during this time. PLEASE.

Dancer
01-09-2007, 18:39
This thread is about a fellow hiker and her family in a time of stress and uncertainty. Please sit on your hands and do NOT reply, just let this stay about Mindi and her brother and our thoughts of support for them during this time. PLEASE.

You are right, I shouldn't have addressed this here. I apologize.

The Weasel
01-09-2007, 21:04
You are right, I shouldn't have addressed this here. I apologize.

As do I, to both Mindi and Amazonwoman.

The Weasel

The Weasel
01-09-2007, 21:04
As do I, to both Mindi and Amazonwoman.

The Weasel

...and Matt.

The Weasel

The Band-aid Kid
01-18-2007, 01:49
Mindi: very sorry to hear about your brother's diagnosis. I sympothize with you as I've had 2 close friends diagnosed with cancer this year. A positive attitude and support from family is key to his beating this again. Just your being there for him will be a tremendous help. We'll see you down the trail - later when the time is right. Keep your head up and stay strong.