PDA

View Full Version : Overweight Hikers

Pages : 1 [2]

Marta
12-12-2007, 20:02
Go, Dino, go!

Blissful
12-12-2007, 20:56
From what I hear, Ewkerr even converted Eman to WW. I say Eman last month. He is NOT the same person I saw same time last year, in fact, hes literally 1/2 the man I saw!

Way to go guys!

I was talking to my hubby last night - he's quite overweight (260 lb) Should be 180. Did some of the AT with us this past summer. But we were seriously talking about doing the AT as a couple - if he can get his business in shape enough to take off 6 months. We are hoping by 2012, the five year anniversary of this hike. I was so excited just talking about the possibility of doing it again! And I know he will not be the same man if he does the thru. He has borderline BP as it is. I know it will be the best thing for him. Add years to his life. And it will help heal his herniated disc too.

Blissful
12-12-2007, 20:57
Dino is walking again.... just had to tell y'all. Not far, but she's out there. Baby steps.

Yes, yes yes!!!!!!! Way to go!!!:banana

Smile
12-12-2007, 21:01
Way to go Dino, that explains running outside with the stove in hand :)

Roots
12-12-2007, 23:14
Dino is walking again.... just had to tell y'all. Not far, but she's out there. Baby steps.

That's awesome!! Have fun with it!!:banana

walkingsmall
01-06-2008, 21:07
i thought i would be the only woman overweight hiking the trail.. I am SOOOO happy i found this spot.. i am hiking this year with my husband, we are leaving march 15th, and i am having a hard time finding bottoms that will fit. i have my shirts, had to go to the men's department as with my thermals, but i was hoping that i could find women's pants that fit. any suggestions? i am super excited and i know that i have to start out slow. what i really dont like is when i tell people and they are like "so, how are you going to do that?" which i know they mean "how are you going to walk with being big. i am a size 18/20 but honestly its even more motivation for me. we are giving ourselves 7 months to do it bc we are both a little out of shape so this will give us time to warm up and shape up. any suggestions would be great.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-06-2008, 21:19
Campmor's Trekmor women's convertible pants come in Sizes: XS(2-4), S(6-8), M(10-12), L(14-16), XL(18), XXL(20) and with inseams 29" (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=12836509), 31" (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39171813) or 33" (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39171885). They are wonderful

Lellers
01-06-2008, 21:28
I'm a size 18. I've found some really wonderful stretchy pants that wick, as well at Roadrunnergear.com. I've been know to lose and find the same 10 pounds over and over again, and the stretch is nice, because the pants continue to fit regardless, and there's nice support to them, too. Very comfy.

MamaCat
01-06-2008, 21:46
Hi All,

I have to admit to not wading through all 13 pages to post a reply so I don't know everything that's been talked about. I wanted to give you great hope for a very successful hiking hobby. I am probably one of the heaviest female hikers out there. Right now I am 305lbs. Now, I know a lot of fat people say this, but nobody thinks I weigh this much. I have had years in the gym doing serious weight lifting so I will admit to wearing a size 24. I have hiked some serious hikes. My first backpack was the approach trail (before the recent re-route up the steps) from the visitor center at ASP to the Springer Shelter. Back down the next day via the hike inn trail. I was a bit lighter on that hike -- maybe 260. The latest one I have done is the Coosa Backcountry loop (I did cut off the lower end but still a 11.5 mile rough day). So I will tell you hiking while heavy is entirely possible. You will not go as fast and it does take a toll on you the week after. But get in shape slowly and get out there! It will only get better and there is nothing like being in the woods!

BTW, I buy technical clothing from Cabelas & Campmor -- the guidewear convertable pants in the mens section are the best! They are specifically hemmed so I can get them in small leg lengths. I get the men's technical shirts from Campmor.

walkingsmall
01-06-2008, 22:19
you have no idea how happy i am to find this thread. thank you both for suggestions. i am going to look at the website.. thanks again. we have been planning this shortly after our wedding so about 10 months and now that we only have 69 days left , we are wrapping up the smaller details right now. we are planning a thru hike and i know it is going to take time to get in shape and stuff but just to be away from it from the everyday grind. i have worked in a cube for 2 1/2 years which is where i put on most of my weight and got really out of shape. i cant wait to get out there.. thanks again.

Frau
01-06-2008, 22:27
A topic after my own heart!

I started my weight loss journey at 267 wearing XXL. I was told to lose prior to my gastric bypass surgery. I threw myself whole hog (HAHAHA) into the bariatric diet and went from 20 minutes "hiking" per day to about 3 miles, in 2 1/2 months time. Then in Jan. 2006 I had my surgery. By June I was hiking 6 miles per day and had begun trail running. My crowning glory was in April when I did the 11.8 miles of Rocky Knob (VA) with Winston the Wonder Dog.

Notice I am now 57. I weigh 150. Big by some folks standards, but boy do I FEEL great. I volunteered for a medical research project at MCV and my final treadmill demonstrated that I respond physically like a 21 year old female. I am now a hiking addict. I owe much of my success to Apple Orchard Falls Trail, which I used as my personal training ground. I vowed to shorten my time up and back every day. Then I began to use Cornelius Creek Trail which is steeper.

You can do it! I started at 20 imnutes a day. There is no hike around here (Geo. Washington and Jefferson National Forests and AT) that I would hesitate to undertake. I love life and my health and hiking.

Go for it!!

Frau

Roots
01-06-2008, 22:43
You ladies keep up the hike! If you love to hike then DO IT!! Don't let anyone stop you by letting you think that you have to be a certain size to be on a trail. I didn't!! I, too, was close to 300lb about 7 months ago. I am now a lot smaller and in a lot better shape, but by no means am I a fashion model size. I have to say I am truly happy though. I could care less if I lose any more weight, my main goal was getting healthy and in shape.

REI has an extended sizes section for their women's clothes. I had bought a pair of their convertibles. I only wore them a couple times, but what I could tell they were very comfortable. I also liked their performance short sleeve tops.

Keep on hiking on!! :)

Lost My Mind
01-07-2008, 00:01
Very happy to find this site and have taken advantage of several of the tips and suggestions.

I did my first "hike" New Years Eve. Very short - just up the service road to Springer. Made it fine, but I was using an old pack of my sons' (who is very thin I might add). Not a good option.

Being new to all of this - and truly enjoying it - could any of you suggest a pack for plus size gals. I know that female packs are an option. I haven't shopped around for anything yet. Hoping to get some info before I hit the stores or websites.

Appreciate any input.

Frau
01-07-2008, 00:09
It is important to have the length of your back measured so you will know what size pack you need. Any outfitter will be able to do this and make recommendations.

HIke on!

Frau

windigrrl
01-07-2008, 00:29
REI now carries extended sizes for women.
http://www.rei.com/search/Women's+Extended+Sizes?cm_re=toc*toc*extended_size s&vcat=REI_SSHP_WOMENS_CLOTHING_TOC

Lellers
01-07-2008, 00:31
Definitely visit an outfitter and have someone measure your torso length. You can try on packs, and should be able to fill them with some weight. Different pack designs have different types of suspensions and ways to adjust fit. Torso length is the first and most important fit you need. From there, it just depends on what fits best on your body and how your body moves.

I've been using a pack with a floating suspension, which I really like. It's not technically a woman's pack, but it suits me well, especially when I move side to side or bend. It's just a fact of nature, women's hips roll. Pack weight is carried mostly on the hips, and so I like the suspension which lets the pack sort of shift a little as my hips move. It's not the same for a guy. They've got that solid pelvis thing going. Poor things. How do they keep their balance? :D

sarbar
01-07-2008, 00:50
Being new to all of this - and truly enjoying it - could any of you suggest a pack for plus size gals. I know that female packs are an option. I haven't shopped around for anything yet. Hoping to get some info before I hit the stores or websites.

Appreciate any input.

Ladies packs by Kelty and Deuter tend to have longer hipbelts and cover the hips better.

warraghiyagey
01-07-2008, 00:56
No fat jokes ok.....
Hi Tubby:p :p
I have ridden the coaster and have walked this earth at times well beyond the limits of my frame. But the trail, any trail, all it does is speak to you in the way you need to hear.
Go where you want. Walk there. Hike. The trail will not be encumbered by your weight - nor your weight by the trail. And that trail is where you find. . . you.:) :)

Miss Janet
01-07-2008, 02:29
Hi Tubby:p :p
I have ridden the coaster and have walked this earth at times well beyond the limits of my frame. But the trail, any trail, all it does is speak to you in the way you need to hear.
Go where you want. Walk there. Hike. The trail will not be encumbered by your weight - nor your weight by the trail. And that trail is where you find. . . you.:) :)

Don't you ladies agree?

I am a big Big woman and finding the right pack was a little bit of a challenge. I had used "hand me down" packs or old throw aways for so long that I didn't know what a good pack would feel like. I went to a good store and tried on about 50 packs! In the end I bought a Gregory reality. It is a 4 pound pack and fits great and carries about 24 pounds really well.

Hey Roots... want to sell those big womens convertables??

warraghiyagey
01-07-2008, 02:38
Hi MJ. Hope to meet you this fall - early Oct-ish.:) :)

MamaCat
01-07-2008, 15:18
Very happy to find this site and have taken advantage of several of the tips and suggestions.

I did my first "hike" New Years Eve. Very short - just up the service road to Springer. Made it fine, but I was using an old pack of my sons' (who is very thin I might add). Not a good option.

Appreciate any input.

The most important thing is get a pack that feels good with weight in it. A good outfitter will have several to chose from and can load it to simulate what and how much weight you intend for it. So try on lots -- female packs, male packs, different manufacturers and pick the one that feels the best and have some fun too!

Lost My Mind
01-08-2008, 01:29
Thanks for your responses on the packs. But most of all, thanks for this forum. I too am tired of using hand-me-downs, etc. If I'm gonna do this, I deserve to do it right! I was feeling embarrassed to go in and try to get fitted for a pack, but by golly, I'm gonna do it. I don't think twice about getting the best equipment for my kids, so REI dividend, here I come!:)

warraghiyagey
01-08-2008, 01:31
Thanks for your responses on the packs. But most of all, thanks for this forum. I too am tired of using hand-me-downs, etc. If I'm gonna do this, I deserve to do it right! I was feeling embarrassed to go in and try to get fitted for a pack, but by golly, I'm gonna do it. I don't think twice about getting the best equipment for my kids, so REI dividend, here I come!:)
:sun :sun :sun :sun :welcome

MamaCat
01-08-2008, 09:54

I am embarrassed at how much my REI dividend is going to be this year! A little too much shopping :D Sometimes I feel like I am a walking REI ad...

sarbar
01-08-2008, 23:02

Don't ever be embarrased! You DESERVE it! In my years of hiking I can tell you I have seen plenty of "bigger" ladies out there (And it seems I have seen more women over size 12 and up than I have small skinny ladies). Have fun shopping! It feels great to have a good fitting pack.

Lellers
01-09-2008, 00:09
Don't feel embarrassed! You're doin' it! You'll feel so empowered on the trail!

And it's sooo worth it to talk to someone about packs who really knows what he/she is doing. I've got an REI pretty close to home, and I go in there and pick brains all the time. And it's not just the fit. They'll show you how to put it on properly, how to adjust the fit, give you tips for packing, etc. etc. I bought a pack there about a year or so ago. After a three-day trip, I was not completely happy. I brought the pack back to the store, fully packed, and asked what we could do to make it fit better. In just a few minutes, some minor adjustments were made, and I've had no problems since. I love REI!

Lost My Mind
01-09-2008, 00:49
I've been checking out several packs on line and have found a couple I'd like to try. Hopefully I'll be heading to REI and a couple of other places this weekend. Again, thanks for the suggestions and encouragement!

gldwings1
01-09-2008, 07:05
:welcome Bump,

I am WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overweight and my kids are finally old enough to hike the trail with me. They have been on The Art Loeb, Bartram, Overmtn Victory and Appalachian Trails. Taking them with me started as my attempt to lose weight in a manner I enjoy as opposed to the gym every morning at OMG it's early. My hiking buddy is also overweight. You will love the way it makes you feel and you may lose weight, you may not, but you will get healthier. Welcome to the community.

See you out there,

Chuck

Cindy from Indy
01-09-2008, 11:34
Junionia.com has some great 'quikwik' stuff in big beautiful female sizes.

I have ordered and worn the 'quikwik' shortsleeve tee, the 'quikwik' cycling shorts and the 'quikwik' regular shorts.

All these have worn really well and definitely made the difference in the 'sweat' department.

They have cold weather stuff too.

Dancer
01-14-2008, 11:53
REI now carries extended sizes for women.
http://www.rei.com/search/Women's+Extended+Sizes?cm_re=toc*toc*extended_size s&vcat=REI_SSHP_WOMENS_CLOTHING_TOC

Thanks for the link. I'm on REI all the time but I don't bother checking out the clothes because I figured they didn't have anything my size. But now they do. Now I just have to keep away from it until my tax refund comes in!:banana

nyushka42
01-18-2008, 18:20
On my first (and so far only) attempt at the AT, I was 240... I got a great womens pack from REI (the girl spent a good 1/2 hour with me figuring out the one that's right for me), and the 2 biggest guys pants I could find. Had to get guys boots too, 'cause my feet were so fat/swollen. All the gear worked great for the 2 weeks I was out there (my hike ended due to a sprained ankle).
By hiking/biking/ and going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week (I know I'm lucky with no husband & no kids so I have more time than most on this forum) I've dropped over 45 lbs, & can't wait to go to REI again to suit up for my next expedition.
**Wanting to add, a great incentive to go to the gym... find one that has a tv on each machine, don't have cable @ home & have some shows you really want to watch (I'm fanatical about being at the gym Tuesdays @ 7 to watch Biggest Loser.)

freespirit2000
02-28-2008, 23:21
This will be my third thru hike. my advice would be to keep your pack as light as possible. (mine weighs full just under 30 lbs). The more weight you carry the more likely it will be to put strain on your knees and cause injury.

BumpJumper
03-04-2008, 20:28
I aint believing this thread is still going. Its a good thing!:D

BumpJumper
09-09-2008, 15:40
I brought this back because there is some very interesting reads on this topic. It may help a few that have posted "weight" guestions.:D

PaceCar
10-09-2008, 06:51
Slow and steady, slow and steady. I may be the last one off the trail but I make it on my own steam. I've hiked in almost all of the above criteria - in shape and at a v. good weight for me 130#(climbed Mt. Washington in NH then and overweight), Pregnant anywhere from newly pregnant to 7-8 months with an added 40+ #'s, and I'm currently in the worst shape I've ever been in, about 80# or so overweight. It doesn't stop me from going out there, as you can see from my trail name it fit's - I'm a slow hiker too. I huff and puff right now and occasionaly need my inhaler but it just reminds me of where I want to be and currently is giving me good, positive motivation to lose. My hubby & I are starting to plan a thru-hike together in 10 yrs, so I'm on the 10yr plan lol. Hiking at a kids pace has been my style for 18 years - my oldest is 19 and the youngest is 8. To echo what has been said before listen to your body. Some days you may need to beat it into submission, other days you'll amaze yourself at what you can accomplish :D:D

earlyriser26
10-09-2008, 08:43
I hiked this Summer in VA and did a 16 mile day in 90 degree heat at 280 lbs. Not much fun, but it can be done. My weight is now down to a fat 250, hopefully going down to 225 soon. Take your time and work on your weight. The worse thing about being fat is not hiking, but hiking with people that are in good shape. If you go slow and don't have any heart problems, go for it! It is so nice to drop weight. When you lose weight you feel like you can fly.

sandykayak
10-09-2008, 15:32
You need to put a caveat at the top: Warning! Don't start reading this thread from your work computer!!

But I feel sooo much better. Although I'm in Miami, I've signed up with the Trail Dames forum and hope I'll be able to get up there one day and hike with "my kind of people." I'm short and fat....but they're starting a Weight Watchers group in the office next week, so I've signed up for that, also. (4-time WW dropout!!)

BumpJumper
10-09-2008, 18:29
Pace, I am with ya on that one.:cool:

"Cat"
10-21-2008, 13:24
Hi I am "Cat";

This year I have hiked twice on the AT, I am overweight, and also carried to much weight in my pack! My first trip was from AFSP to "Hawk Mountain shelter back in March of this year.

The second was from AFSP to Blue Mountain Shelter! I had a lot of fun, and each time I have learned new things about the trail and Myself! I am planning too "Thru-Hike"the "AT" in March through Oct 09.

So if any one would like to give me any advice??? Or is interested in hiking with me, "I am very slow" hiker. I would appreciate it if you would reply to me.

I do not have my own computer so I can only check every few days!

Lilred
10-21-2008, 19:06
Hi Cat and :welcome to Whiteblaze

My best advice is to come to this website often and search for every question you have. If you can't find the answer, ask, and someone will have the answer.

I've learned about almost every piece of gear I have from reading the posts on Whiteblaze and I've made some very good decisions because of it, saving me lots of money and time.

BumpJumper
10-21-2008, 20:38
Hi Cat. Well, we have about five things in common already! Welcome:welcome

"Cat"
10-26-2008, 18:03
Thanks for the encouragement :o)

"Cat"

BumpJumper
10-26-2008, 19:53
Hey Cathy. Got your email. Sorry I didnt know which Cat you were. I email with another Cat from Tenn.
Hey, you are more than welcome to join me anytime to hike up here on the FT. I dont know just how slow I am but I bet I am in the slow class! Not really sure. When I hike with Trailtalker and Bluegill, I feel like I am playing catch up all day. So, I dont know, but I think I am slow. But then Tom Alan says I hike a good pace. Go figure.

tom_alan
10-26-2008, 20:05
Hey Cathy. But then Tom Alan says I hike a good pace. Go figure.

Bumpjumper have only hiked together in Colorado and at the higher altitude I thought you hiked a good pace. Really didn't get a chance in Flordia to hike with you.

Yahtzee
10-27-2008, 09:37
Hi,
I used to be pretty obese and started putting on a lot of weight especially on my thighs and bottom in my late thirties. I started exercising as often as possible and also cut down on a lot of high calorie stuff. Unfortunately I hardly managed to lose much weight at all. I then recently read an article by a lady who claimed that she managed to lose nearly half of her weight using a particular weight loss supplement. I tried it out and it actually worked quite well. Within 4 months I managed to lose about 65 pounds. The results were pretty amazing and I feel so much healthier and energetic now. You can read more about the lady's article at

http://www.obesityzapped.com

Ladies, please beware of this link. At the bottom of the page there is another link to a website for acaipure. A quick search of the internet will show that this site has been overcharging credit cards and not returning the money.

Alligator
10-27-2008, 11:04
Ladies, please beware of this link. At the bottom of the page there is another link to a website for acaipure. A quick search of the internet will show that this site has been overcharging credit cards and not returning the money.And "Jennifer" is not from NY, but rather India:-?. Good catch Yahtzee.

BumpJumper
10-29-2008, 15:29
I ran to the site and ordered me three dozen of them things. I can wait to get em to start SHEDDING 100 lbs in two weeks!!!!:D:D:D:D

Oprah ought to be shot.

BumpJumper
10-29-2008, 15:31
Where is that site for womens hiking clothing? The one for us gals with some meat on our bones...not the one for all those size 0-2 skeletal gals.:eek:

"Cat"
10-29-2008, 16:06
Hey Bumpjumper;

Yes I am just slow, but I do know I like hiking! I am thinking of hiking come March and would like to find someone to hike all the way with, stopping mostly in shelters cannot afford motels only stayed in one "Hostel" at "Neel's Gap" last time. in 16days and camped along side trail in my tent once during a big storm!

I was hiking alone and stayed alone at night at most shelter's, which I feel is a little unsafe? I thought more people would be out there, there wasn't. My next attemptin March of 09 will be the one I feel...."All the Way"!

The trail shure helps knock weight off also lost 12 pounds on the second short trip!

"Cat"

BumpJumper
10-29-2008, 18:02
Yes it does Cat. I got your email. Email me when you get back online.

Mud Butt
10-31-2008, 10:56
I just love all the answers that you got to this post!!! When I spent my season on the AT, I could have sworn tht I was the only overweight backpacker in the world!!!! In fact, that is why I started Trail Dames...cause I wanted to see other women out there doing it!! I am about 100 pounds overweight and I backpack every chance I get. :) Here are some thoughts....

Get two hiking poles and use them all of the time. They will help your balance, get you up the steps that would otherwise be difficult and save your knees.

Go to the sporting goods store and get some body glide. Spirit Walker mentioned chaffing. it can make a hike the most miserable experience on earth....but since I found body glide I have not had any chaffing at all. And by at all, I mean for five years and about 900 miles of hiking!!!

Go to junonia.com and get some cute hiking clothes that fit. They will make you feel good without the worry of having to fit into normal hiking clothes. :)

Last but not least, and in my opinion, the most important......relax, breathe and have a good time. Every time you worry about having to keep up with someone, kids or not, stop, breathe and look around you. You are really doing it. :)

I am sooo glad that you are doing this!!! Have a great time and tell us how it goes!!
Anna aka Mud Butt-www.traildames.com

BumpJumper
10-31-2008, 21:56
Thanks Mud
I was hoping someone would post that site. I saw it about a year ago and could not remember it.

Smile
10-31-2008, 22:00
Mudd Butt, yours was a great post full of excellent advice. (Especially the suggestions on pole use) There are many strong, overweight gals out there who are terrific hikers.

It's such great workout for your body, and mind out there! No matter how slow, you can always hike your own hike! :)

Diamond Diggs
11-01-2008, 16:14
Completely siked about this post! I am also about 1oo pounds overweight (ashamedly), but I absolutely love backpacking. I can never get enough. Although dont do it as much as I would like. (probably why I am still so overweight). I would love to be joining you in spring 2009, preparing to do so, just depends on if the money comes in.

Poles are a saviour in getting in the miles and elevation gains. Helps the knees on the downhills too.

I am thankful for the advise on the body glide. Chaffing on the inner thighs and blisters on the feet are my main concern as well as knee pains.

As for now, I can make 10 mile day in the lower AT, It busts my tail to do it, but it is worth everymile. I look forward to a day when I am in better shape and can make a 1o mile day with ease. Until then....

I have learned that going at my own pace is key to an enjoyable and SUCESSFUL journey. Trying to keep up with others who are in better shape is missery, and holding them up waiting on me at every uphill is just as bad.

CowHead
11-04-2008, 12:00
In January 2008 I started walking the first 1/4 mile I had to turned around and head home. Wt was 350+ 11 months later I 'm at 235 and I have hike the 42 miles of Maryland x3 carrying 33 lbs in a backpack. Every Saturday I tried to do at least 14 miles and it now takes me 4 hours and 15 mins to do. As soon as I can take off the six months to do the whole AT I will be there.

CowHead
11-04-2008, 12:01
Sorry Didnt know this was a female forum oops

BumpJumper
11-05-2008, 10:51
The red was you first clue!:D:D Thanks anyways.

Good for you loosing the weight. We all need to hike more and weigh less.!!:D

sclwrkhikergirl
08-24-2009, 22:43
Does anyone have any suggestions on women's packs that fit bigger women? What have been your experiences? I'm looking for a pack that'll work for weeklong trips.

LaurieAnn
08-27-2009, 14:21
Hi All,

I have to admit to not wading through all 13 pages to post a reply so I don't know everything that's been talked about. I wanted to give you great hope for a very successful hiking hobby. I am probably one of the heaviest female hikers out there. Right now I am 305lbs. Now, I know a lot of fat people say this, but nobody thinks I weigh this much. I have had years in the gym doing serious weight lifting so I will admit to wearing a size 24. I have hiked some serious hikes. My first backpack was the approach trail (before the recent re-route up the steps) from the visitor center at ASP to the Springer Shelter. Back down the next day via the hike inn trail. I was a bit lighter on that hike -- maybe 260. The latest one I have done is the Coosa Backcountry loop (I did cut off the lower end but still a 11.5 mile rough day). So I will tell you hiking while heavy is entirely possible. You will not go as fast and it does take a toll on you the week after. But get in shape slowly and get out there! It will only get better and there is nothing like being in the woods!

Thanks for sharing your story. I was close to 370 pounds at one point. As of now I am below 200 pounds for the first time in probably 2 decades. I have never been skinny and this is the lowest BMI and proportion I've had in my life.

I've been reluctant to share my story on some sites because there are a handful of women who have been extremely cruel but given the discussion here I feel comfortable sharing the link to my story and photos...

a plus-sized outdoorswoman's personal journey (http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2609)

LaurieAnn
08-27-2009, 14:21
Does anyone have any suggestions on women's packs that fit bigger women? What have been your experiences? I'm looking for a pack that'll work for weeklong trips.

When I was much bigger I found that Granite Gear and Arc'Teryx brands were the best. Both companies have interchangeable hip belts that come in larger sizes.

Diamond Diggs
08-28-2009, 16:45
i am going to read your story, but wanted to chime in first.
Congrats! I myself have been overweight for most of my life.
I love the outdoors and love to hike - but I will admit the frustration in not being able to handle the terrain as well as most "fit" hikers. It never has stopped me, It might take me longer, be a harder climb, but i will do it!

As of Feburary of this year I weighed in at 376 pounds! I couldnt believe it. And although I and everyone else knew I was a really big girl, noone would ever have believed i weighed that much!
I have always failed in weight loss attempts. But this year was different! I think the burning desire to thru-hike the AT (and enjoy it) and to get my butt down into a whitewater kayak, and just be able to do more.... when I realized my weight was keeping me from doing ALL that I wanted to do. My attitude changed- and it became about just being healthy and having the ability to DO, not so much about how it would make me look or how OTHERS would percieve me. I have as of present lost 100 pounds - in a little over six month! Honestly, Its hard for me to even believe this is happening, like Im gonna wake up one morning and realize this was all a dream.

I have got quite a bit more to lose, but I know I am there... I feel great, I look so much better, I can already do most of those things that I could not before. Life is good - and I have plans for an AT thru in 2010!!!

If you are trying to lose- dont ever give up! The thing that ticked me off more than anything was people telling me "if you really wanted to lose weight then you would" - I loath that statement! Truth is, unless you have been there- you do not have a flippin' clue!!!! I say, just dont give up on the effort. I had to get my attitude changed and my emotions in check. Its not always just about the diet. Keep working at the answers to why you cant seem to lose the weight, and just keep going - get out there and hike while you are trying to figure it out. If younever give up, you will eventually reach your desired destination!

ONWARD TO KATAHDIN!!!!

Goridewithme
08-28-2009, 18:39
walk, walk, oh..and walk. before you go hiking plan at lease a month or two in advance to start walking at least one hour a day. as you walk this time peirod you will speed up as you grow stronger. but for the first couple of weeks do flat land then as the week build find some hills. Oh and when you do go, GET THE POLES... they will save you so much strenth! just ask others who do this kind of activity regularly, not the "I once did" ask the ones who at least do this four to five times a year for a couple of days straight. and know you can do this, anyone can!

Diamond Diggs
08-28-2009, 20:00
i disagree that should walk, walk, walk BEFORE you go hiking- Unless you are talking about a long distance hike. Hike if you want to HIKE! I dunno, others might be a little more challenged physically then myself.... but even at 376 pounds, I was climbing up trails like Alum Cave Bluff to Mt LeConte in the Smokies... My love for the mountains and hiking did not let my weight hinder me from the Hike. I chose not to consider a thru-hike until I became more fit in order to enjoy the experience more.. just get out there and enjoy it..... great wayy to lose the weight!

LaurieAnn
08-29-2009, 08:38
That's one thing I have never done.... speed up. I can walk farther for longer and it feels easier plus I don't get out of breath as often but my pace has never changed. I'm always checking out everything around me, taking photos of fungi or flowers and such. That's why the guys call me turtle. I can do 20 km in a day (or more) but I have one stride... lol. I'm about the journey as much as I am about the destination. Think of the story of the tortoise and the hare... and that's me.

I have to agree with the pole comment - trekking poles are amazing even if you aren't overweight. The stress they reduce on your knees is great. Also the keep klutzes like myself a little more stable... there is another reason I have the trailname of turtle... lol. I've been "turtled" on my pack from time to time. Oops.

Dicentra
08-31-2009, 13:16
Btw, one of my hiking partners who is thin? I wait for her often. She is slower than me.

I think she means me?? LOL!

Yup. These days Sarbar is in better shape than I am. She gets out more. Her and I have talked about weight/size on countless occasions. People come in different shapes and sizes. What's important is that you are getting out and are healthy (not thin/fat etc).

HYOH and don't let anyone hold you back! :banana

emeggke
08-31-2009, 15:16
I am so thankful for this thread! Last summer a friend asked me to become a female chaperone on a trip to the Tetons. Plan was to walk the crest trail (49 miles) in 5 days. Between the planning stage and the going stage I injured my knee and felt that I could not do it... he pushed. We ended up going with many many things that should have stopped us(including his son cutting his leg badly enough that it should have had stitches) and we did not make it to our first night destination. Long, long story short... he blamed it on my weight and when the group talked about canoeing this summer told me that I shouldn't go because I would hold them back again. Because of lots of different issues, the group dissolved. But the best thing about the whole trip was that I rediscovered my love for hiking and backpacking and my husband discovered a love for it as well. Now we(husband and I) are planning to hike sections starting next summer and thru hike when our youngest is out of school. This thread has been an encouragement. We hike locally now as often as we can and are both getting in better shape so we can eventually thru hike the AT.

Kimmee
09-03-2009, 02:25
This thread has been so helpful. I am 60 pounds overweight and I feel it in my knees and so want to hike the trail. I am planning on doing the approach trail at the end of the month up one day down the next and then another section in October. I am planning to join a group of experienced hikers for a section hike in November and want to be in better shape as to not totally embarrass myself. I am not expecting to keep up but not be 4 or 5 miles behind them either.

I would love to thru hike and these three short trips will help me decide if a thru hike is for me.. I would want to start in March 2010.

I work nights am a Registered Nurse and traditional workout routines are just hard and I have a hard time keeping to schedules and would rather save my money for my hiking and equipment than a gym and/or trainer.

LaurieAnn
09-17-2009, 18:19
So how's everyone doing?

I'm so close to my goal weight and less than 30 pounds to go... plus some toning in the right places. It's a little frustrating as I find the closer I get the harder it is to lose. I'm sure this is because my body has adjusted and to be frank - when you are much bigger it does come of dramatically at first. So I've had to switch up my routine and I've incorporated even more muscle building exercises and increased the duration of the flexibility exercises.

What has really surprised me is the weight I've lost in my face. I posted another photo in the Faces of WhiteBlaze members photo gallery and when I look at it compared to my 2006 photo it just shocks me.

Anyway, I figured that if we keep this thread open maybe it will keep the motivation alive for some. You think?

MikenSalem
09-17-2009, 20:37
I used to be morbidly obese. Now I'm just considered obese. Loose 10 more pounds and I'll just be overweight. The biggest trail problem and life problem was loss of mobility. It comes back!! I'm running into big people on the trail all the time and their doing just as well as every one else. Same as old people and gimpy people and every person in between. The trail appears to have the same cross section of humanity that the rest of the world has. I have noticed most through hikers don't seem to be carrying around allot of extra weight but they aren't wasting away. Start slow, listen to your body, and don't stop movin down the trail.
God bless, good weather and happy hiking!

shoe
09-17-2009, 21:23
I suck !
I can't seem to get myself in the gym and I can't seem to motivate myself to eat the right things. One would think I would be more inclined since every time I climb a mountain I want to die :)

LaurieAnn
09-17-2009, 21:38
I used to be morbidly obese. Now I'm just considered obese. Loose 10 more pounds and I'll just be overweight. The biggest trail problem and life problem was loss of mobility. It comes back!!

Way to go MikenSalem!!! I finally brought my BMI from off the chart to the point where I am no longer morbidly obese or even obese... I'm in the overweight category for the first time since... well... let's not go there as it makes me feel old... lol. The mobility does come back. This summer I jogged a section of wilderness beach for the first time ever. My 8 year old was pretty amazed that I could move that fast - especially when I grabbed him and tossed him in the lake for splashing me!

I suck !
I can't seem to get myself in the gym and I can't seem to motivate myself to eat the right things. One would think I would be more inclined since every time I climb a mountain I want to die :)

I hate gyms. I do yoga, pilates and power walking with weights - all from DVDs. I have the best motivation in the world... an 8 year old who needs a healthy Mom. Being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes earlier this year was the biggest kick-in-the-pants-motivation ever. For those of you who are overweight (obese or otherwise) please... I'm telling you... please don't neglect your weightloss goals. You don't want to end up diabetic and it can happen much easier than you realize. Trust me on this.

So maybe we should start a thread of discussion where we post what we are doing each week in order to keep motivated? Ya think? I'm plenty motivated but I'd love to help others keep moving forward... kind of a pay-it-forward for those who've helped and stood by me over the years. Who's in?

MikenSalem
09-17-2009, 22:26
Thanks for the encouragement LA. I think it might have to be in the members forum since anything can go in there. So it'll cost $10 if someone isn't a donating member. I looked at the health description and it may be out of bounds. course I'm not supposed to be posting here anyway :o I think the thread is a good idea though.
While weight is a huge issue with how women view themselves it become a big issue with men over 40 as it contributes to poor health and manly issues too. Weight is a lifelong problem with weight loss needing to be revisited periodically. With habit changes and understanding what behaviors affect weight and how, it can become allot easier. Pick the one worst meal or pig out time of the week and change it to a time for a little exercise and you avoid calories and get in better shape a win win situation. Eat 5 full servings of fruit or vegetables before allowing yourself to have a meal one day a week. NEVER BUY BIGGER CLOTHING AFTER LOOSING WEIGHT that was the best advise my diet Dr. ever gave me, contributed to my to loosing 30 lbs this spring.

:sun
Do me a favor somebody post to this really quick before any other men see my name on here, I am now banning myself from this line until I grow ovaries :eek:

BTW yall ALL rock :D keep on keepin on

LaurieAnn
09-17-2009, 22:55
ya... get outta here... lol

seriously though - it would be great if there were a public section like the health section... that said... the $10 donation is for a good cause

bumpass
09-19-2009, 20:24
LaurieAnn..thanks for bravely sharing your story. I applaude you.

I have a few more thoughts being a Bariatric and Cardiac nurse. First and foremost for everyone, please see your PCP (primary care provider). Preventative maintainance is key. Sometimes we take better care of our cars than ourselves. :-?
Affective weight loss/maintainance usually comes down to 3 things: behavior modification, nutrition and regular physical activity.
Behavior modification: How we think about food, poor habits, food triggers: stress, boredom or sometimes childhood trauma. Accountability?
Nutrition: What we actually put in our mouths, its value, its volume or portion size. (When I don't get enough lean protein spaced throughout the day, I make poor food choices):(
Regular physical activity: Anything that gets you moving adds up on the calories burned side. Its good to have several options so to keep it fun and frequent. Hiking is a wonderful activity.
For some, surgery may be a viable option for weight loss. Usually its the last straw. Everyone, please know that it is NOT an "easy way out." It is hard work if worked right. Surgery will help shed the pounds, but if old habits are not replaced with good ones, weight easily can be regained.
This goes for all of us though, surgery or no surgery.
Google: Resting Metabolic Rate or RMR, sometimes refered to as BMR. You can figure out how may calories it takes to maintain your current weight and what activites that you already do or could do to change that.

Sorry, got off topic here. I hope to be encouraging, not offending.:o
PS regarding poles: if you keep them short enough, you'll keep the stride shorter which can help save the knees too. Cheers!

LaurieAnn
09-19-2009, 20:46
Thanks to you as well... what you have posted is important information that some people might not think of.

You are so right that sometimes people do take better care of their vehicles. That said, it's much easier for me to go to my family doctor because I don't have to pay for it. Sometimes I wonder why the US doesn't have a system like ours in Ontario but I won't even start that debate.

bumpass your post reminded me that I should have mentioned some of the things I have done to keep myself on track. I am self-employed and most often work from home so it does make it easier for me.

1. I keep a daily food diary that also has a spot for hydration, exercise and at the bottom I include the total servings of each food group I consumed for that day. Now I also record blood sugars and medication.

2. I replaced a dinner sized plate with a luncheon sized plate.

3. I never ever eat in front of the computer or television or while reading a book.

4. I measure and weigh all my foods.

5. I eat protein with my carbs or in the least, try to include at least 3 of the food groups at each meal.

6. If I want chocolate cake on my friend's birthday I have a very small bit and I also up my exercise time for that day. I ensure that the rest of my choices for the day are healthy.

7. I replaced bad habits with good ones - water instead of pop.

8. I don't grocery shop without a planned menu and list. I don't go when I am hungry.

9. I keep the fridge full of healthy snacks such as cut up veggies and lower fat cheese, fresh fruit and the like. That way it's easier to grab for something healthy rather than the cookies.

10. Speaking of cookies. If I really want cookies I reach for something like arrowroot biscuits, gingersnaps or animal crackers and I only have two.

11. Dark chocolate is my little treat and I have a bit every week.

12. I find I get very hungry if I am cold... so instead of reaching for junk food I have a cup of green tea with ginger instead.

13. Fibre is your friend. I always (99% of the time) try to choose whole grains over more refined grains.

14. Because I am diabetic I consider not only the carbs and fat I consume but also the glycemic index of the food. This actually has been a great help on the trail as carbs with a lower GI give you energy that is more drawn out than the quick spike caused by more simple sugars.

15. I lift hand weights.

16. I walk every day - without fail. Having to walk my son back and forth to school helps and on the return trip in the morning I make an effort to go out of my way.

I had considered surgery. In my opinion it's very difficult and a last resort. My doctor was of the same mind. She didn't sugar coat things... basically told me I needed to get off my butt and make conscious choices about what I was doing to my body. She also said the same thing you did about old habits.

The BMR info is quite interesting. Thanks for posting that.

If there is enough interest I could set up a forum on my server for those here who want to start a support group. What do you think?

saimyoji
09-19-2009, 21:08
So how's everyone doing?

I'm so close to my goal weight and less than 30 pounds to go... plus some toning in the right places. It's a little frustrating as I find the closer I get the harder it is to lose. I'm sure this is because my body has adjusted and to be frank - when you are much bigger it does come of dramatically at first. So I've had to switch up my routine and I've incorporated even more muscle building exercises and increased the duration of the flexibility exercises.

What has really surprised me is the weight I've lost in my face. I posted another photo in the Faces of WhiteBlaze members photo gallery and when I look at it compared to my 2006 photo it just shocks me.

Anyway, I figured that if we keep this thread open maybe it will keep the motivation alive for some. You think?

you're right. when you're a fat **** its easy to lose weight. as you lose more, it gets harder. i haven't tried to understand your psyche on weight loss but here's the hard fact: just trying to lose some weight dooms you to put it right back on again. you must make a change in your lifestyle, totally change the way you eat, what you eat, when you eat, how you eat, how you work out ( even if its only 15-30 min a day) if you want to keep it off.

one of the worst things you can do is say: "I want to lose 30 lbs." You'll do it, but put them right back on over the following months. You gotta change your life. whatever works for you, do it. Keep changing your routine, keep your routine the same....so long as you do the one thing most people can't do:

eat fewer calories than you burn.

hikingshoes
09-19-2009, 21:16
Sorry,ladies but men just dont talk about there weight.So i hope its ok to post a note here.After i retired from the Army res. 2yrs ago i stop running 2-3miles a day.I was up to 240lbs and now i started riding my bike 2-3miles a day and im down to 235lbs in just 3wks.Now shoe i know what your talking about there now.but i look forward to the bike ride.(30-40mins a day).Onces again Thanks for letting me post this is the Female Forum.Charles
I suck !

LaurieAnn
09-19-2009, 21:47
you're right. when you're a fat **** its easy to lose weight. as you lose more, it gets harder. i haven't tried to understand your psyche on weight loss but here's the hard fact: just trying to lose some weight dooms you to put it right back on again. you must make a change in your lifestyle, totally change the way you eat, what you eat, when you eat, how you eat, how you work out ( even if its only 15-30 min a day) if you want to keep it off.

one of the worst things you can do is say: "I want to lose 30 lbs." You'll do it, but put them right back on over the following months. You gotta change your life. whatever works for you, do it. Keep changing your routine, keep your routine the same....so long as you do the one thing most people can't do:

eat fewer calories than you burn.

I respectfully disagree on your philosophy surrounding the desire to lose weight dooming one to put it back on. Give me a break. Saying that you are going to do something like losing 30 pounds isn't a negative thing - it is the first step in making the loss a reality. Positive statements bring about positive change. Setting goals is important in any facet of ones' life. Your comment "I haven't tried to understand your psyche on weight loss but here's the hard fact: just trying to lose some weight dooms you to put it right back on again." is quite insular.

Of course, if you say you are going to lose 30 pounds and then do it as a fad diet without a lifestyle change - sure you'll gain it back. There has to be motivation and common sense and it sure isn't the mantra stating to lose weight that causes the weight to be gained back once it is lost - its the mindset that one can return to pre-weightloss habits.

I'm also a firm believer that you need to shake up your routine from an activity perspective from time to time. The body gets accustomed to the same activity level and that's great if you are at the point of maintenance... but if one is still trying to lose that last bit of weight a change in routine can really help get through a plateau especially when metabolism changes and such.

It also isn't always as simple as eating less calories using calories properly. Sometimes these issues are caused by the hormonal imbalances that can come with being obese in the first place and other issues such as glandular problems and the like can make weightloss difficult although not impossible. Let's not forget the self-esteem factor too. One has to be ready to follow through with permanent change. Without a healthy self-esteem that can be difficult at best.

While you are correct in saying that you have to work at the lifestyle to keep it off - there is nothing wrong with making/stating a goal and sticking to it.

"A man is but the product of his thoughts - What he thinks, he becomes." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

LaurieAnn
09-19-2009, 21:55
Sorry,ladies but men just dont talk about there weight.So i hope its ok to post a note here.After i retired from the Army res. 2yrs ago i stop running 2-3miles a day.I was up to 240lbs and now i started riding my bike 2-3miles a day and im down to 235lbs in just 3wks.Now shoe i know what your talking about there now.but i look forward to the bike ride.(30-40mins a day).Onces again Thanks for letting me post this is the Female Forum.Charles

That's great. I love activites like biking because it is fun and seems less like exercise.

Shoe... chin up. You can do it.

Walkie-Talkie
09-19-2009, 22:05
Ya know, I'm sorry to be the one voice to go against the grain here, but it was reading posts like this one before my 2005 thru hike attempt, that left me with a lot of regrets.......

Before I started I was a good 30lbs overweight but listened to everyone saying if I started out slow, listened to my body, went at my own pace, etc etc, then the weight would come pouring off. I would justify this too with logic like :hey you spend day after day doing nothing but hiking up and down hills and burning all those calories, it's simple mathematics, WEIGHT LOSS MUST HAPPEN! And I didn't give a second thought to what I ate while on the trail because I had read you burn something like a bizzillion calories a day hiking so GREAT! I'll eat what ever I want! Heck, to listen to people talk I almost had visions of me starting up one side of the mountain as a sack of potatoes and climbing down the other side as a super skinny weif like model!!

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!!!

I made it approx. 700 miles to Pearisburg, VA and the day I stopped I weighted exactly the same as the day I started. And I was in horrible shape. I had absolutely no energy, I was cronically exhausted, sleeping an average of 12 hours a night and still feeling like I hadn't gotten enough sleep. Most of all, the entire trip was one long memory of pain filled days that began almost immediately and no amount of Advil could touch. Later on I learned that I had collapsed the arches of both of my feet. Since I hadn't gotten into shape and lost the extra weight before the trip, my combined body and pack weight tipped the scale over 200lbs! My knees, ankles and feet just couldn't handle that load, especially over the rugged AT terrain. As for my energy level, I hadn't paid attention to what I ate, which resulted in eating the standard hiking fare of empty calories and "fake" food that slowly but steadily drained my body of life day by day. By the time I limped into Pearisburg, I was whipped both physically and mentally, and my having to the leave the trail was a foregone conclusion.

Since that ill-fated trip I have learned alot. I have spent two years learning from my mistakes and educating myself on ultralite hiking concepts. I will be attempting to thru hike again this summer and I have started training NOW. I also plan on eating REAL food while out there and eating sensibly. I have no doubt that the out come of this trip will be very different from the first.

Now this is just my own personal experience and maybe it's not the normal one. But my advise is, if you are planning to thru hike and are overweight, loss as much weight as you can before you go or at least be in the best possible shape that you can be in before you start. You will only be giving yourself a wonderful advantage and healthy head start right from the get go so why wouldn't you? Learn from my mistakes and save yourself the pain not to mention the medical bills.

Learn to spell.

bumpass
09-20-2009, 04:02
Laurieann,
All 16 of your points are just what I teach in my pre and post-op classes. Everyone of us would benefit from them.
You said, "You are so right that sometimes people do take better care of their vehicles. That said, it's much easier for me to go to my family doctor because I don't have to pay for it. Sometimes I wonder why the US doesn't have a system like ours in Ontario but I won't even start that debate."
I don't believe it is a matter of cost for most Americans (most have smaller co-pays than any oil change cost). Its really a priority problem.
We do need to make some changes down here. This nurse would rather see tort reform and have the ability to buy policies across state lines, not a bigger government. There goes my 2 cents.
Thanks again for your input.

LaurieAnn
09-20-2009, 09:41
ah... and here I thought it would be hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a mere checkup. our system has it's flaws too though

talking about doctors... I took my son a week ago friday because he had a cough that just wasn't going away... turned out to be viral asthma and he was put on an inhaler for a week. Anyway, I generally see a specialist (endocronologist) and hadn't seen my family doctor since shortly after I was diagnosed with diabetes in the late winter. It was strange... I've known her awhile and at first she was acting like she didn't recognize me. As soon as we started talking you could see the lightbulb go on and even though this wasn't my appointment she asked me if I had time to talk. My endocronologist always sends her updates and I was scheduled for a physical for the next week. She wanted to weigh me on the spot and ask what I was doing to lose the weight. It was funny to see how excited and enthusiastic she was. I have to say that her attitude also goes a long way with helping me to stay focused. She also reviewed some side-effects I'd been having with metformin and cut my dosage in half.

My endocronologist is much the same. When I got my A1C down from the 17.5% on diagnosis to 5.2% in three months he was shocked and redid my bloodwork. Then he wanted to find out if was making myself have to many lows to get the good number. It was odd to see how shocked he was that I was actually doing the dietary and exercise that he had prescribed and he took me off all the bolus insulin immediately and I started to add in metformin. I have to see him again in 5 weeks and I suspect at that time I'll be pulled off the basal insulin too. I'm down to 4 units a day (that's not a typo) and when I hike I don't take any.

For those of you that are obese... this is going to be harsh... but take it from me and get the weight off (in a healthy way) and really start watching what you eat and your activity levels. Being diabetic is a pain in the rear to say the least and you put yourself at high risk with being obese. If I had known what I know now I would have got myself on track 20 years ago and done everything I could to prevent this disease. Don't think it can't happen to you... it can and it is reaching super-high levels in North America. I know I sound preachy but dealing with retinopathy and neuropathy really has scared me... especially the retinopathy part. My eyes will heal because we caught it early enough and my blood glucose is under tight control.... but I am a graphic designer/author and the thought of losing my vision is the scariest thing for me.

Connie
09-22-2009, 14:10
Body Armor brand "running" tights or their capris help with chaffing on the inner thighs.

It isn't necessary to be overweight to have this problem: some women have very round thighs up there.

I do. I don't have chaffing though.

I wonder if it is because I select moisture transport underwear and moisture transport or quick-dry outerwear that do not allow moisture buildup. I choose Jockey-for-Her Comfries briefs undies and I usually wear my Pearl Izumi Tokyo tights (cut for full-figured women). Either those tights or quick-dry mountain pants, like the no longer made Outdoor Research Rhyolite.

I think it is important to select outerwear that have a sewn-in or ventilated inseam gusset like Prana Zion pants still available in stores.

I haven't looked recently at the brands available right now having these features, because these items just do not wear out.

Overweight isn't necessarily bad.

I am overweight, by medical standards, but I am strong and I feel stronger when I am a more than a little overweight.

hikingshoes
09-22-2009, 14:32
Thanks LA,Im up to 5miles a day now and your right its less like exerice.I think your eight on a new site.I do want to get ran off due to being a male on here.thanks,Charles:banana
That's great. I love activites like biking because it is fun and seems less like exercise.

Shoe... chin up. You can do it.

Diamond Diggs
09-23-2009, 19:52
Originally Posted by Bugbite http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=302828#post302828)
Ya know, I'm sorry to be the one voice to go against the grain here, but it was reading posts like this one before my 2005 thru hike attempt, that left me with a lot of regrets.......

Before I started I was a good 30lbs overweight but listened to everyone saying if I started out slow, listened to my body, went at my own pace, etc etc, then the weight would come pouring off. I would justify this too with logic like :hey you spend day after day doing nothing but hiking up and down hills and burning all those calories, it's simple mathematics, WEIGHT LOSS MUST HAPPEN! And I didn't give a second thought to what I ate while on the trail because I had read you burn something like a bizzillion calories a day hiking so GREAT! I'll eat what ever I want! Heck, to listen to people talk I almost had visions of me starting up one side of the mountain as a sack of potatoes and climbing down the other side as a super skinny weif like model!!

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!!!

I made it approx. 700 miles to Pearisburg, VA and the day I stopped I weighted exactly the same as the day I started. And I was in horrible shape. I had absolutely no energy, I was cronically exhausted, sleeping an average of 12 hours a night and still feeling like I hadn't gotten enough sleep. Most of all, the entire trip was one long memory of pain filled days that began almost immediately and no amount of Advil could touch. Later on I learned that I had collapsed the arches of both of my feet. Since I hadn't gotten into shape and lost the extra weight before the trip, my combined body and pack weight tipped the scale over 200lbs! My knees, ankles and feet just couldn't handle that load, especially over the rugged AT terrain. As for my energy level, I hadn't paid attention to what I ate, which resulted in eating the standard hiking fare of empty calories and "fake" food that slowly but steadily drained my body of life day by day. By the time I limped into Pearisburg, I was whipped both physically and mentally, and my having to the leave the trail was a foregone conclusion.

Since that ill-fated trip I have learned alot. I have spent two years learning from my mistakes and educating myself on ultralite hiking concepts. I will be attempting to thru hike again this summer and I have started training NOW. I also plan on eating REAL food while out there and eating sensibly. I have no doubt that the out come of this trip will be very different from the first.

Now this is just my own personal experience and maybe it's not the normal one. But my advise is, if you are planning to thru hike and are overweight, loss as much weight as you can before you go or at least be in the best possible shape that you can be in before you start. You will only be giving yourself a wonderful advantage and healthy head start right from the get go so why wouldn't you? Learn from my mistakes and save yourself the pain not to mention the medical bills.

I wonder what his/her diet was like on the trail - to have hiked over 700miles, and not lost any weight?

sarbar
09-23-2009, 22:08
One of the best things you can spend money on is a personal trainer who is good. Not only will you prevent injury....you will gain strength and bone density. Yes, gyms are not for everyone - you can get PT's that come to your house even.

Most of all? Ladies, don't be scared of weights! You won't get bulky! You will though stand better, feel better and protect yourself in later life.

Training doesn't always equal weight loss in big numbers (due to gaining muscle weight as you loose fat weight) but you will notice a difference in the first 2 months.

LaurieAnn
09-24-2009, 08:00
I don't agree with the expense of a personal trainer over the long-term but one or two sessions here and there to learn the right technique is important. I am fortunate that I have, at my disposal, a champion female power lifter. She has helped steer me in the right direction when it comes to weight loss. While I don't want to be a power lifter - she was able to show me what I needed to do movement wise and how to do it without injury.

Here is one of the things that was very helpful. Build the leg muscles first. While all over training is important, a bit of extra emphasis on the legs will serve you better as that is where the largest muscles in our body are. Strong leg muscles will use more energy and help you burn the fat more quickly. As hikers it isn't a bad approach anyway.

Standing better comes from core training and building the abdominal muscles. This is another very important area because it supports the back.

While the scale is a great tool to track your progress, I also recommend a tape measure. Measure your neck, biceps, forearms, wrists, bust, waist, hips, thighs, calves and ankles. Then in a month do it again. The mirror helps too.

Losing weight through lifestyle change is a much slower process but also a healthier one that will enable you to keep the weight off over the long-term. The other benefit, especially for those who need to lose a lot of weight, is that the skin has a chance to catch up without the need for skin removal surgery. Weight training also helps with this. Right now I don't have any issue with extra skin except in one spot (the flesh under my upper arm and I am working on that - it's one of the most difficult spots to tone). Considering that I have lost almost 1/2 of my body weight it is amazing that I don't need a skin tuck, especially on the belly. But this was because I chose to take my time. Weight didn't appear overnight so I went with the thought that I am not going to lose it overnight either. As I get closer to my goal weight (less than 30 pounds now) I find this more difficult and I have to rein in my inpatience.

LaurieAnn
09-24-2009, 08:01
I wonder what his/her diet was like on the trail - to have hiked over 700miles, and not lost any weight?

It does give one pause for thought, doesn't it?

sarbar
09-24-2009, 10:28
We get you don't like gyms. That is OK. For those of us who do, they are invaluable.

One thing a trainer does do is ramp up your workouts - forcing you to change often, go harder and longer. If one wants to hike stronger and not get sidelined with injuries it is worth every cent.
Don't get me wrong, trainers are NOT cheap.

Too often women (and men) will do the minimal workout and not push into the next level - particularly with strength training. You want to be exhausted when done - almost jello-like. If you are not, you need to do heavier reps.

Having said that, carefully picking out one is essential. Not all are equal and they often specialize in different things. At our gym we have trainers for every goal (there are at least 20 trainers) - since I am not into weight lifting competitions I don't see one who specializes in that - rather my trainer is a runner.

Important things are balance, core strength and form. Work on this and the weight will start moving after a while. You will feel better - chronic back pain often goes away after 1 to 2 months as well.

PS: On hiking 700 miles and not loosing weight? That could happen. Particularly if your body is converting to muscles and your body is not getting enough calories/nutrition. Not everyone is set up to become thin from exercise. Notice she came off the trail after 700 miles feeling whooped, I'd say she was deficient and her body was grabbing onto everything it could...

LaurieAnn
09-24-2009, 11:10
PS: On hiking 700 miles and not loosing weight? That could happen. Particularly if your body is converting to muscles and your body is not getting enough calories/nutrition. Not everyone is set up to become thin from exercise. Notice she came off the trail after 700 miles feeling whooped, I'd say she was deficient and her body was grabbing onto everything it could...

I'm not entirely sure you understand how lack of proper nutrition affects one on the trail Sarbar. I've spent a great deal of time consulting with sports nutritionists and such in the writing of both my books to know that there would be some sort of movement on the scale.... as well as learning from my own hiking experiences and from my peers. In 700 miles there would be a change unless she was consuming what she was burning.

Sure if she was in deficit calorically her body would start to store because of metabolic changes however with that length of hike and the energy output - well there just aren't enough calories to store. And if she was lacking nutrition as you mention.. there would also be muscle wasting from lack of the adequate protein necessary to repair muscle even if she wasn't experiencing a great enough caloric burn to lose weight.

LaurieAnn
09-26-2009, 17:21
Thanks LA,Im up to 5miles a day now and your right its less like exerice.I think your eight on a new site.I do want to get ran off due to being a male on here.thanks,Charles:banana

Way to go!

I've added to my daily activity level as of this coming Monday. I've decided to help out at Tobias' school (he's my 8 year old). They needed to hire someone part time to supervise the kids outside on their nutrition break. It's only about 1 hour a day so I can still run my business. Because I am just learning to drive it means I will be adding another walk into my day. I take T to school in the morning and pick him up in the afternoon. That's about 2 or 2 1/2 miles a day and with the supervising position I'll be adding another mile and a bit. Couple that with the working out (yoga, pilates and weights because I like to switch things up from day to day) and I should be able to get rid of this last little bit. Plus I get paid which is a little bonus because I expected it to be volunteer. I plan to use the extra to buy some new clothes seeing as everytime I turn around nothing fits... lol.

Tonight will be my first night without basal insulin so I am pretty charged up about that and a little scared about it too. I'm not cured - there is NO cure for diabetes... but it means I am one step closer to living medication free. The reduction in meds is a positive side effect of all the weight loss and lifestyle changes.

RainJFC
09-28-2009, 21:11
I'm a big girl too but it doesnt stop me from going out there and huffing up and down the mountains. I take it as slow as I need to on the ups and down and then make up time on flat sections if I have to make distance. When I go out for a few days, I average between 8-12 miles a day depending on how far I have to get. The trick is to not give up or get demoralized. Just go out and have fun.

Connie
09-29-2009, 11:46
It is hard to believe absolutely everyone doesn't lose weight on a backpack of long duration.

Does the AT have so many "trail towns"?

My entire experience is it is difficult to get enough calories and enough nutrition on the trail, I am not the high metabolic rate person burning off calories at a fast clip.

I am a "full figured", that is, overweight by the medical charts, but I am not strong unless I am more than a little overweight.

I really have to plan well, to get enough calories and enough nutrition.

ShoelessWanderer
09-29-2009, 15:04
Thanks. I dont plan on doing a trek of miles at first. Is a matter of fact Trailtalker is going to take me on a KIDS hike for my first time!!! Stop the laughing...I hear you!!!
Ok, so I may have to stop behind the kids and rest...SO!!!!!!!!!!:jump

Don't worry! We all had to start somewhere! NO matter what anyone tells you they had to start on easy hikes, too! Besides, hiking is a great fun way to loose weight! Just remember, everyone's first trip is somewhat discomfortable, whether or not they are overweight...make it past the first trip, and you'll be hooked http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy093.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php). (pss...finding some other females to hike with helps too, guys can be intimidating :))

LaurieAnn
09-29-2009, 15:39
ShoelessWanderer is right on there.... everyone starts somewhere and also I wanted to add - everyone has their own pace.

hikingshoes
09-29-2009, 15:48
That is GREAT!!Hang in there.Hope you can get off the Meds and 2.5miles is great as well.I started out doing only 1mile,it gets better and i feel better.Charles
Way to go!

I've added to my daily activity level as of this coming Monday. I've decided to help out at Tobias' school (he's my 8 year old). They needed to hire someone part time to supervise the kids outside on their nutrition break. It's only about 1 hour a day so I can still run my business. Because I am just learning to drive it means I will be adding another walk into my day. I take T to school in the morning and pick him up in the afternoon. That's about 2 or 2 1/2 miles a day and with the supervising position I'll be adding another mile and a bit. Couple that with the working out (yoga, pilates and weights because I like to switch things up from day to day) and I should be able to get rid of this last little bit. Plus I get paid which is a little bonus because I expected it to be volunteer. I plan to use the extra to buy some new clothes seeing as everytime I turn around nothing fits... lol.

Tonight will be my first night without basal insulin so I am pretty charged up about that and a little scared about it too. I'm not cured - there is NO cure for diabetes... but it means I am one step closer to living medication free. The reduction in meds is a positive side effect of all the weight loss and lifestyle changes.

LaurieAnn
09-29-2009, 16:47
Thanks.... so far so good... blood glucose numbers didn't go up with the drop in basal.

Surplusman
10-05-2009, 05:55
Like LaurieAnn says, you have to start from somewhere. I always hated hiking with a group because there were always some who wanted to show off and go faster and tried to get everyone else to do the same. Take it easy at first and the stamina and the distance will come, believe me, before you even know it. Best wishes to all of you!

Rhapsodist
10-25-2009, 19:17
I'm pretty heavy myself but going your own pace and perseverance are the only important things. After a week your legs tighten up and you're pretty good to go. You tend to feel really hungry at first, I dare say more so than your lighter companions. I've seen a 350 lb kid get to teh top of one of New Hampshire's 4000 footers. If you're smaller than that you'll be okay. A little pre-conditioning never hurt. Things will start out smoother and you'll spend less time asking yourself 'why the hell am i out here?'

BumpJumper
11-09-2009, 22:00
update a year and a half later. I only do the kids trail to take my granddaughter hiking these days.
I have lost like 40 lbs and still going strong. Hiking is good!!!!

hikingshoes
11-09-2009, 22:16
update a year and a half later. I only do the kids trail to take my granddaughter hiking these days.
I have lost like 40 lbs and still going strong. Hiking is good!!!!

Thats GREAT BumpJumper,hang in there.I got 30lbs to go and ill be at my set weight(200lbs),plus i just did a hike last weekend and did over 10miles(2days) and it was Great and i feel Great as well.LOL,its funny how little things mean alot.Keep up the good work.Charles

LaurieAnn
11-15-2009, 00:17
well Hiking Shoes... I'm back on insulin - this time bolus (meal-time) insulin only. This isn't because of bad diet or lack of exercise but because I'm pregnant... which also means my AT plans (and most of my other hiking plans) are going to be delayed a bit. We'll take baby and big brother out on baby's first canoe trip next summer though and I'll be doing some snowshoeing over the winter months - but without a pack.

truthisnature
11-17-2009, 14:30
Everyone can hike...you hike your own hike at your own pace and all will be fine. I have been hiking for 2 years carrying an extra 30 pounds around. Please keep in mind that health isn't solely determined by your weight. I am more physically active and can out do alot of my thinner friends.

BumpJumper
12-11-2009, 09:48
Charles, thanks for the vote there. You guys are great. :sun

JAK
12-11-2009, 09:52
Best wishes to all on the weight loss. Hiking and walking is definitely the best. I try to get out a little each day. I seem to have trouble getting past certain weights, and I think alot of it is 90% psychological. I'm sure the other 50% is all in my head.

hikingshoes
12-11-2009, 11:19
Hey,i understand that and you'll be back at it in no time.Its GREAT your adding to the Family that is always nice.I have 5 step-brothers/2step-sisters/3full blooded sisters=10 of use.Im down to 230lbs now thats 19lbs,just 30 more to go and I'll be set.Hang in there.Charles
well Hiking Shoes... I'm back on insulin - this time bolus (meal-time) insulin only. This isn't because of bad diet or lack of exercise but because I'm pregnant... which also means my AT plans (and most of my other hiking plans) are going to be delayed a bit. We'll take baby and big brother out on baby's first canoe trip next summer though and I'll be doing some snowshoeing over the winter months - but without a pack.

daylaandjasper
12-11-2009, 11:44
I would just like to second all the other thoughts on here about overweight hikers. I started the AT overweight in 2001 and I just started slow, you really just have to make sure and hike your own hike and don't try to keep up with others. I am starting overweight again this year- I've been trying to train and lose weight, but it seems long distance hiking is about the only way I can lose weight. I find wearing spandex shorts absolutely essential- keeps your thighs from rubbing together.

I am not really a skirt girl in normal life, but on the trail a stretchy material skirt over spandex shorts is my ideal hiking outfit. If its cold its easy to wear tights or other warm pants under the skirt (or skip the skirt that day)- if it warms up its easy to change out layers. the stretchy skirt covers my knees at breaks , adds a little warmth.

hiking poles are a big help for anyone, but especially so for those of us with a few extra pounds on our knees.

ShelterLeopard
12-11-2009, 12:15
This is a great thread- very helpful and motivating.

I'll admit, I'm overweight. My ideal is 120, and in November I was 180, now I'm 170 (in December).

I used to be between 120-135 in my sophomore and junior year of high school, then I had to start taking a medication and I gained a lot of weight. Went off the meds, managed to somehow lose the weight, then gained it back when my senior year was over.

But, I've decided that I want to be at most, a fitter 155-160 when I hit the trail in late February, and hopefully (though proper eating and plenty of hiking), by the end I'll have lost the rest.

drifters quest
12-12-2009, 02:10
Ugh, I know all about the medication weight gain! I went from 135 (real good weight for me) up to 190 mainly due to medications I was taking and a messed up metabolism from poor eating habits. After a year or two the weight started to melt off and i'm now at 140. I'm hoping to sort of maintain that weight or lose maybe 5 more before the trail. I figure if not, no biggy since I tend to lose weight pretty easy now.

ShelterLeopard
12-12-2009, 12:57
Ugh is right. Pretty much my exact problem. Except I went from more like 125- 185. But, it's coming off.

BumpJumper
12-13-2009, 12:54
Yall are young and granted, it comes on easy and goes off slow, but boy let me tell ya what.....get it off now before you get older because it is so much harder to get off after 30 then 40 and a real bitch at 50:eek:

BumpJumper
01-13-2010, 11:26
Update:
Still hiking and still loosing. I love it. Not really trying so much as just getting healthy again.

Blissful
01-13-2010, 11:47
Good for you! Way to go

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 12:09
At the moment, I fit in under "overweight hikers", but the weight is coming off! (Not planning to lose too much before my thru starts though. I figure the hiking'll do the rest of the work.)

JAK
01-13-2010, 12:27
I've gotten back into running over the past year and still found it very hard to break through 200 pounds, which is about 25% body fat for me. What I started doing since December is adding alot of walking or hiking or easy cross country skiing back in with the running. That seems to be making a big difference. Now the experts will tell ya that exercise below 50% of your VO2Max, or about 60% of your maximum heart rate, is not getting fit, and higher intensity exercise is better, but I think that is a crock.

Reason is, most people can't do much more than say, 5 hours/week of running, or some similar exercise divided up between 50-70% intensity, 80-85% intensity, and >90% intensity. But on top of that, even if you are doing all that, you can still get out and enjoy another 10-20 hours of easy outdoor activity, like walking, easy hiking, easy paddling, easy cross country skiing, easy cycling, at about 30-50% in

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 12:29
I just need to lose weight that I gained from medications I took a couple years ago. I was 120-125, then my weight shot up. Went off the meds, but it didn't come down. Finally I stopped pussy-footing and took matters into my own hands. Lost 15 pounds since early December.

JAK
01-13-2010, 12:52
Oops, anyway, if you can find or make the time, get out and enjoy as much easy outdoor activity as you can, in addition to whatever you are doing for diet and exercise. Besides making it easier to lose weight, its finding and doing stuff that you really enjoy, and do with the family.

My 5 hours of running were only burning about 4000 calories a week, and I tene ded to eat more after a run. By adding alot of walking and other fun stuff, alone or with the family, I'm up to 7000 calories a week, and I find I am recovering better for my runs, and finding it much easier to diet and lose weight. Now I'm losing weigh again, but more importantly I think I will be able to maintain it because I am finding better ways to live, not just exericising in order to be able to live better.

BumpJumper
01-13-2010, 19:26
Leopard...that is great. Good for you. I had the same problem. Got put on steroids for a back injury and blimped up like a cocoon. I have been doing my version of the South Beach diet. I go on it, then off and as long as I keep loosing, it works for me. I gave myself one year to shed it all.

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 19:35
Thanks Bumper- good for you too!

By my calculations, I should be at the high end of the target weight for a female my size, height and age when I start my thru in 5 weeks.

JAK
01-13-2010, 22:37
I have 15 pounds to go to be at the high end of normal for my height.
I've been stuck at this level for about 6 months, but I think I might have a system.
Still, I've said that before.

Way to go everyone that's done it. The rest of us will figure it out eventually.
Hiking definitely helps, and is an end in itself of course.

hikingshoes
01-13-2010, 23:19
Sorry,so late getting back with you.Ive been planning a hike with a friend.Im just going from GA/WV and my friend is going from GA/ME.now that im down to 227 and feeling great.Its new to have support on something so hang in there and maybe ill see you on the trail or at a Hang.HS
Charles, thanks for the vote there. You guys are great. :sun

hikingshoes
01-13-2010, 23:22
Its nice to have support on something so hang in there and maybe ill see you on the trail or at a Hang.HS[/QUOTE]

Lillianp
01-14-2010, 00:06
Thanks Bumper- good for you too!

By my calculations, I should be at the high end of the target weight for a female my size, height and age when I start my thru in 5 weeks.

FIVE WEEKS?!?
Holy GRANOLA. I hadn't realized it was so soon! I will certainly still be in the overweight category, but I'll be stronger, cardiovascularly speaking and muscle speaking, so I should be able to put in a good long day's worth of hiking.

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 11:38
FIVE WEEKS?!?
Holy GRANOLA. I hadn't realized it was so soon! I will certainly still be in the overweight category, but I'll be stronger, cardiovascularly speaking and muscle speaking, so I should be able to put in a good long day's worth of hiking.

I KNOW! I was planning shakedown hikes, and I laid out all the weekends we have left- whoo my goodness. There are FOUR weekends left after this one!!!!!

BumpJumper
01-14-2010, 12:28
Leopard,
I tell ya, this South Beach thing is worth checking out. Bluegill and Trailtalker are also on it and loosing tons...
I modified mine. Meaning, I will go on it all week or whatever, then on the weekend, if Iwant to cheat, I do. No big deal to me. It is like it kicks your metabolism back into gear and the next week, I loose even more...really weird...but it works.
I am not weighing either. I dont care how much I loose, I have went down three sizes and giving myself a year to do it is easy....
Walking and running and being as active as I am helps...

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 12:32
Leopard,
I tell ya, this South Beach thing is worth checking out. Bluegill and Trailtalker are also on it and loosing tons...
I modified mine. Meaning, I will go on it all week or whatever, then on the weekend, if Iwant to cheat, I do. No big deal to me. It is like it kicks your metabolism back into gear and the next week, I loose even more...really weird...but it works.
I am not weighing either. I dont care how much I loose, I have went down three sizes and giving myself a year to do it is easy....
Walking and running and being as active as I am helps...

Thanks, but I've got a system worked out- lost 10 lbs in January alone. (Slowing down now- that was just the initial weight coming off.)

I kind of take weekends off. Well, I do my "diet" for two weeks, eat pretty much what I want for two days before a weekend hike, hike, then start up again.

BumpJumper
01-14-2010, 20:09
Whatever system works...thats great. I like anything that doesnt make me feel restricted...including underwear that rides up the crack of your butt....:D:D

Lillianp
01-14-2010, 21:28
I KNOW! I was planning shakedown hikes, and I laid out all the weekends we have left- whoo my goodness. There are FOUR weekends left after this one!!!!!

Gah!!! Weird. I have to plan a weekend hike at some point-at least one overnight, but I'm not sure my parents will be too happy with me if I don't find someone to hike with. Especially here in new england. It even makes me slightly nervous-at least on the AT I KNOW people will be a day ahead or behind of me and I'm pretty durn sure there'll be people at the same shelter I am on the same night that first night.

As for losing weight-I just weighed myself. it's not really happening. But I know my muscles are stronger! :) Which, for me, is the important part. I figure the weight will come off while hiking. Right now, I need to ensure my ability to go 8-10 miles a day. Which i'm also positive will be able to happen.

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 23:18
Yeah, who cares? As long as we're strong, we'll lose weight on trail, no worries! :)

JAK
01-15-2010, 00:26
It's great that you are doing weekend hikes before your trip.
Being able to hike hard and have 5 days to recover and grow stronger.

You might go with a post hike meal rather than a pre-hike meal. I wouldn't worry so much about carbing up before the hikes, but I would get some extra protien and carbs during and after the weekend hikes. Just a thought. Timing can be important. Also eat mostly fresh meat and fruits and veggies while you still can I guess. Besides being great for training, they are great diet food also, but whatever you are doing keep doing it.

ShelterLeopard
01-15-2010, 00:28
And cheese- important trail food in my life! Thanks JAK, good advice. (Blueberries, steak, salmon, lettuce- favorite dietish foods)

JAK
01-15-2010, 00:43
Blueberries are great anti-oxidants. So is salmon I think. Awesome.
I have sardines and blueberries and spinach every day.
Big on skim milk also. Great recovery drink. Lots of great food. No need for junk.

ShelterLeopard
01-15-2010, 00:45
Yeah, I find when I eat "good diet foods" like the ones I mentioned, I have no desire for junk! (And definitely more energy, whichi is very important to me)

JAK
01-15-2010, 00:58
I still get cravings if I see a bag of chips of something, but I've gotten better at saying, ok, I guess its time for another healthy meal, or maybe get by on a big spicy mug of skim milk chai. I use loose tea and add my own spices. Stir, microwave, stir, steep, strain.

1.5 cups skim milk, usually no water for me
2 teaspoons of loose black tea
cardamom - maybe 1/4 teaspoon
3 cloves - grind with fingers
ginger - half as much as cardamom
cinnamin - a few shakes
anise seed - a few sprinkles
maybe some black pepper or nutmeg

after straining - foam up the milk a bit and sprinkle some more cinnamin and nutmeg

rcli4
01-15-2010, 21:07
Something for overweight women to think about

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34881925...ion/?GT1=43001

Clyde

saimyoji
01-15-2010, 21:32
Something for overweight women to think about

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34881925...ion/?GT1=43001

Clyde

you may wanna try this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34881925/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/?GT1=43001

LaurieAnn
01-19-2010, 20:18
I still get cravings if I see a bag of chips of something, but I've gotten better at saying, ok, I guess its time for another healthy meal, or maybe get by on a big spicy mug of skim milk chai. I use loose tea and add my own spices. Stir, microwave, stir, steep, strain.

1.5 cups skim milk, usually no water for me
2 teaspoons of loose black tea
cardamom - maybe 1/4 teaspoon
3 cloves - grind with fingers
ginger - half as much as cardamom
cinnamin - a few shakes
anise seed - a few sprinkles
maybe some black pepper or nutmeg

after straining - foam up the milk a bit and sprinkle some more cinnamin and nutmeg

Sometimes I make a double batch of chai. I put half of the strained chai in the fridge until the next day and then I add 1/3 cup frozen fruit and ice as desired to it... then make a smoothie in the blender... yummy for breakfast or dessert.

BumpJumper
01-20-2010, 11:20
you may wanna try this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34881925/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/?GT1=43001

DAYUM......:eek:

Johnny Appleseed
01-20-2010, 17:30
On my thru hike I saw this guy at least 300 lbs. Huge and sweating bullets. I thought I gotta get around this guy. The terrain was very steep or should I saw average AT mtns. It was late in the hike and I'm in top shape. I had the hardest time getting around this guy. He was booking, and I even tried to go fast to get speed to pass.

Do not underestimate someone because of their size.

BumpJumper
01-20-2010, 19:30
I surely dont....I have seen tall ones go slow and short shiots like me haul butt....
:eek:

Kimmee
01-22-2010, 22:35
Well I am gearing up for a 4 day hike on the Foothills Trail before tackling the AT this spring and due to illness since Labor day and a surgery 11/30 and one next Thursday my weight has not come off. I will be starting the trail at 200 pounds and then add another 35 to 40 for a pack... I really wanted to have lost 40 before starting. It is true about heavier people moving fast I know plenty who I could never keep up with and some smaller folks that I have to wait up for. I just plan on going slow and eating healthy foods with plenty of water and doing the best that I can and pray that I can succeed.

Good Luck everyone

BumpJumper
01-23-2010, 00:02
Kim, with that positive attitude...you will do fine. What did you have surgery on?

Dovetail
02-17-2010, 21:38
Pace yourself. Pushing too hard at first can predispose you to injury and discouragement. I will tell you though, we crossed paths with a couple of formerly obese hikers who had just taken a little chunk at a time and kept at it. By the time they'd gotten half way along the AT, they were different people....fewer medical conditions, and carrying less weight= less stress on all your joints and your heart.
Walking is the best exercise next to swimming. Try to enjoy the out of doors and focus on what you're discovering and the people you meet along the way.

JAK
02-17-2010, 22:31
Sometimes I make a double batch of chai. I put half of the strained chai in the fridge until the next day and then I add 1/3 cup frozen fruit and ice as desired to it... then make a smoothie in the blender... yummy for breakfast or dessert.Cool. I like it.

The other thing I do sometimes, at home and on the trail, is make my chai, pour it all onto my oats for making porridge, then drain it back into my cup when the oats are ready. It adds a nice chai flavour to the oats, and a nice oats flavour to the chai. Gets a little tricky when working with loose tea and spices. You have to remember to strain it BEFORE you pour it on your oats. lol

redmarbleshoe
02-27-2010, 15:50
Thank you for this forum. I do not feel alone anymore.

I'm 5'10, and plus size (size 18/20 pants). I hike and backpack often come spring to late fall. 29 degrees at night is my cut off. Still synchronizing my gear. But I found out that addiction never ends.

I usually hike about 2 miles an hour. I thought that was a good normal pace, especially when conquering inclines. I have gone out with local hiking groups and found myself discouraged by there increased pace. I immediately felt insecure and out of place.

Quick background on me, I own a weight loss clinic and used to weigh 315lbs, so I've lost a lot of weight and I teach others how to do it and keep it off.

This initial experience really threw me off mentally, but I refused to push myself harder and cause injury to my body. My husband was right there behind me, encouraging me to stop stressing over the pace of the others and be proud that I was there doing it. He never cared what pace he went.

Here's the good part. At camp that night, sitting around the fire sharing stories and experiences, I found that I had the most experiences hiking and encountering wildlife. The other women were commenting on how they never see dear, coyote, rabbits, lizards, tarantulas, etc. I then realized that it was because they were RACING down the trails and wouldn't stop gabbing.

"HA" I felt, I was going a great pace the whole time. My pace. I am extremely focused on taking care of my hydration and food intake, to ensure a more enjoyable guilt-free experience.

I encourage to keep going, rest as you need it, and take time to look around. most people do not even get out and see what mother nature offers.

p.s. for my lightweight food options, I use Mary Jane farm organic dehydrated meals. I pick through the ones with the least amount of sodium. I only use one for my dinner meal, and I split a 12 oz pack of chicken breast pieces with husband for the protein. I do get my sodium/potassium needs through my electrolytes/drink packets, I use during my hiking in/out.

Pic attached is in the superstition mtns, headed to Reavis ranch. Sorry my knee braces slipped and look yucky. but they help with the inclines and declines.

JAK
02-27-2010, 16:08
Great job. Pace is a funny thing. We naturally thing other people are going faster when they are ahead, even when we are keeping up. Also, skinny little runts somehow think that have accomplished more than you when they hike up a hill without getting as winded. Maybe they need to feel what an extra 50 pounds feels like. Nice to set you own pace. When I hike with my daughter I try and let her set the pace. Morale is much better that way. Avoiding injury is the critical thing for me right now. It is so much easier to lose 5 pounds a month when I am able to stay active. It is so much harder not to gain 5 pounds a month when I am not. Stay strong. Keep the faith.

GGS2
02-27-2010, 18:36
I usually hike about 2 miles an hour. I thought that was a good normal pace, especially when conquering inclines. I have gone out with local hiking groups and found myself discouraged by there increased pace. I immediately felt insecure and out of place.
This initial experience really threw me off mentally, but I refused to push myself harder and cause injury to my body. My husband was right there behind me, encouraging me to stop stressing over the pace of the others and be proud that I was there doing it. He never cared what pace he went.

Here's the good part. At camp that night, sitting around the fire sharing stories and experiences, I found that I had the most experiences hiking and encountering wildlife. The other women were commenting on how they never see dear, coyote, rabbits, lizards, tarantulas, etc. I then realized that it was because they were RACING down the trails and wouldn't stop gabbing...
Yes! I am amazed at the amount of chatter I hear when I am out and encounter a group. And of course they never see the stuff that we do, my wife and I. I don't really know our pace. We just go out for an hour or so on the local dog walking trails as often as we can. We stop and greet the dogs, but we try not to walk behind them, as they tend to scare the wildlife.

When I am out on a long trail by myself, I go very slow, but I keep going. And I cover some ground. I notice that you ended up with the rest of the group, so you covered the same ground they did, but saw and heard a lot more. Bravo! Excellent technique. Just keep doing it, and avoid injury.

Strong Spirit
02-27-2010, 19:19
Question since the conversation has gotten into 'pace'. Does it really matter what your pace is in regards to section or thru hike? What I mean is, if your goal regardless of 'pace' is to get to a specific shelter, and you have all day to do it, aren't you going to wind up with the same people at that shelter, that you just camped with at the previous shelter at the end of the day anyway? I've been reading some of the trail journals, and it just seems that if your camping spot is 9 miles away, regardless of how fast or slow you hike it, you'll still be with the same folks that night. Which in that case, does it matter how fat or fit you are?

JAK
02-27-2010, 19:23
I figure if I get there around the same time as my feet, the pace was just about right.
As for distance, as long as my feet and I agree on the same campsite, that's far enough.

JAK
02-27-2010, 19:26
Now if I can only get my stomach and my scales to agree on the same diet...

rrsmith
02-27-2010, 19:47
I was and still am alittle over weight. I just recently lost 35 lbs and what a difference, its like carrying another pack. I am still 20lbs from my goal, but if i want to thru hike I know I have to loose these pounds. If you are a weekend hiker don't worry, just take it slow, rest when you need to, its not a race. You can still enjoy the trail, just don't injure yourself, and always talk to your doctor. But all said you should have fun and enjoy that's what counts.

GGS2
02-27-2010, 20:37
Question since the conversation has gotten into 'pace'. Does it really matter what your pace is in regards to section or thru hike? What I mean is, if your goal regardless of 'pace' is to get to a specific shelter, and you have all day to do it, aren't you going to wind up with the same people at that shelter, that you just camped with at the previous shelter at the end of the day anyway? I've been reading some of the trail journals, and it just seems that if your camping spot is 9 miles away, regardless of how fast or slow you hike it, you'll still be with the same folks that night. Which in that case, does it matter how fat or fit you are?
Spirit, I don't think your weight or fitness level will be the ultimate determining factor for success in completing your section or thru, unless you have an unrealistic schedule. Some people want to do multiple long days and average 20 miles a day and so on. There is no point trying to emulate them if you are less fit and carrying much more weight. But if you keep to your own pace, no matter what it is, and keep going, you will eventually finish. You may be a few days behind the pack, but that is of no great concern. You will probably see more wildlife and stop for more great views, and possibly have wonderful conversations with other people who have stopped for a breather just as you may. And if you have some slack in your schedule, you may want to take some blue trails that will be very much worth the effort. The important thing is to chose a pace which keeps you interested and which doesn't make you injury prone. That need not affect the quality of your experience. Most of the speed devils are either very young or are life long athletes. If you are neither of these, you likely have a different expectation and will have a different experience. Just as it should be. Go and have the experience of your life.

redmarbleshoe
02-27-2010, 22:13
YES! I agree totally. It took sometime to get over my pride issues, but I now realize that my hiking technique is just fine. My husband is very supportive and is right there with me. So I'm not concerned of being left behind or missing out on anything. I have my gear/food/water/maps/gps and my husband to insure my safety if needed. The group hiking thing is kind of over-rated. I thought the purpose of backpacking, is to get out and enjoy the wild. I do enjoy the chit chat at the campfire, but I get that in a coffee house or car camping. My personal preference is about 4 maybe 5 people. MAX. I have not done a thru hike yet. But I cannot see any problems conquering the Arizona Trail. It's just the schedule part. lol.

Pace is all yours. "Fat or Fit" I'd like to think that I am curvy and fit. I enjoy a challenge sometimes. Makes me feel accomplished. :) Comparisons are usually not a healthy approach. :)

Rockhound
02-28-2010, 09:18
I know, female forum, but certainly weight is a unisex issue. I can only imagine it would be much harder starting out the more overweight or out of shape one is. Perhaps it even takes more drive and determination to keep going in the beginning. On the flip side, as a hiker keeps melting off the pounds, it continues to get easier and easier and the reward greater. The question has often been asked,"How do I get in shape for the trail?". Easy answer? Start hiking the trail.

Chillfactor
03-05-2010, 20:00
Ok, I am new to this hiking thing. Trailtalker got me into it. I want to know how hard this is going to be for an overweight woman to do.
No fat jokes ok.....
I aint morbidly obese but I carry alot of extra weight.

People that are extremely obese must be very strong from carrying so much extra weight. (I'm not trying to offend) It will be hard initially. Take it slow and ease into the daily routine. It will get easier, it does for everyone. Within 10 days you'll feel much stronger and might even find clothes looser.
All you can do it your best. It's easy to get discouraged and, as my daughter told me, focus, deal, and suck it up. You can do this. The rewards that come with the discomfort are worth it. Don't give up. Good footwear is super important.
Go for it!

RockDoc
03-05-2010, 20:04
My wife and I joke that there are only two "diets" that really truly work.

1. Hike on the Appalachian Trail
2. Cancer

Choose the former!

PACTwink
03-07-2010, 20:29
So going on this vein, what kind of shorts do you guys use for even day hikes, normal summer wear, multi-day trips? I'm about 30 pounds overweight and a size 10-12 and am so tired of my shorts riding up in the middle! There's GOT to be something out there that doesn't do that!

redmarbleshoe
03-08-2010, 21:23
So going on this vein, what kind of shorts do you guys use for even day hikes, normal summer wear, multi-day trips? I'm about 30 pounds overweight and a size 10-12 and am so tired of my shorts riding up in the middle! There's GOT to be something out there that doesn't do that!

I suggest Capri's. They work great for me. Even the exercise ones. They are polyester I think...but they are better than cotton. With them lower than the knee, they do not crawl up. I'm a size 18/20, and I had the same problem. So Capri's and a synthetic tank top. Lots of sunblock. :)

fanlynne
02-22-2011, 05:54
I was in horrible shape. I had absolutely no energy, I was cronically exhausted, sleeping an average of 12 hours a night and still feeling like I hadn't gotten enough sleep. Most of all, the entire trip was one long memory of pain filled days that began almost immediately and no amount of Advil could touch. Later on I learned that I had collapsed the arches of both of my feet.

Country Roads
02-22-2011, 20:51
Just carry a light pack and take your time. Listen to your body: rest when you need to. By Damascus you will be in much better shape. I am no ones athlete and carry more weight than I should, but I am in better shape after only 4 or 5 days of hiking. Be nice to yourself, and yes you can do it.

jima59
03-05-2011, 17:22
I know from experience that being heavy is terrible on the knees and feet. I've managed to drop almost a hundred pounds since last april and I know that by next feb. I will be down to my normal weight for height and age. If you are fighting the bulge please be careful with the downhills on the knees, walk your own hike and don't let others get you into mileage competing.

Turtle Feet
03-05-2011, 18:24
I know from experience that being heavy is terrible on the knees and feet. I've managed to drop almost a hundred pounds since last april and I know that by next feb. I will be down to my normal weight for height and age. If you are fighting the bulge please be careful with the downhills on the knees, walk your own hike and don't let others get you into mileage competing.

My goodness! CONGRATS on your weight loss jima59!!! You've accomplished something 99% of the population never will - you GO! :banana

Graywolf
03-07-2011, 02:25
I thought I would chime in. When I setioned hiked in 09' I was 270. I wee bit on the heavy side. I lost 15 pounds that week alone. Now I am down to 230 and dropping. expecting to be even lighter as my thru comes up. I am exercising constantly. I stopped driving to work and instead ride a bicycle or take the bus.

Mind you, but being a Chef, it is hard to lose weight. But alas! I am doing it. Im looking forward to be running down the downhills, not rollin'..

Hairball
12-28-2011, 14:54
Great story! Thanks for sharing! Your story is an inspiration to me.

Hairball
12-28-2011, 14:56
Thanks for sharing your story. I was close to 370 pounds at one point. As of now I am below 200 pounds for the first time in probably 2 decades. I have never been skinny and this is the lowest BMI and proportion I've had in my life.

I've been reluctant to share my story on some sites because there are a handful of women who have been extremely cruel but given the discussion here I feel comfortable sharing the link to my story and photos...

a plus-sized outdoorswoman's personal journey (http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2609)

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It's definitely an inspiration. Keep up the great work!

Lemni Skate
12-28-2011, 15:03
As someone who has backpacked at a lot of different weights, I'd say don't get all into how many miles you are hiking. Hike until you are really tired, but not to where you are ready to drop dead. You'll be amazed how fast you can go from 5 mile days to 10 mile days to even 20 mile days. Just don't push those things. They will happen. One other word of warning: heavier people need more water. I usually have to carry more than my companions or I'm in trouble.

Turtle Feet
12-28-2011, 15:08
As a follow-up ...

I started the trail 3/13/11 at roughly 186#, finished 10/7/11 at 141# (roughly). I can echo Lemi Skate's comment. Walk as far as you can, regardless of what the other folks at the shelter that morning are planning to do for the day. I can't even count the number of people that left me in the dust at the beginning of the trail, but I'm betting more than half of those folks never finished. Do what YOU can, not what THEY can. HYOH (hike your own hike) and you will finish.

Del Q
12-28-2011, 20:28
Guy talking here...........I was about 245lbs + 40lb pack when I began my section hike years ago, its January 1st in a few days, perfect timing, with some reasonable amount of fitness, cardio, core work and a SOLID MEAL PLAN 90% of the time, you will be in tons better shape in 90 days than you are now.

Focus on the change - not the end result.

I was a pork-packing 290 or so the doctor tells me, when really overweight you can drop pounds pretty fast, over 90 days..........maybe your pack weight which will make a HUGE difference.

Go slow, enjoy, stop when huffing and puffing, I find that if I keep putting one foot in front of the other..........100% of the time i do eventually get to the top of every UP

foreversuperawesome
01-31-2013, 23:57
If you can walk, you can hike! No matter what your size is. Hiking is a great way to exercise plus you get to see a lot of pretty things while doing it! (unlike walking on a treadmill at the gym) Good luck!

Sari
02-17-2013, 05:57
How inspirational are you!? I am beyond out of shape, and only relatively overweight. I have a hard time motivating myself, but I do truly believe that if you want this, you can make it happen: All it takes is to tell yourself that you can. Remember many small goals lead to larger goals. Set your sights on things that are attainable today, and tomorrow you can set new goals that are attainable tomorrow. And "don't forget to look!" when you get where you're going.

JAK
02-17-2013, 09:25
Psycologically, you need to seriously take pride in the extra work you are doing until you drop the weight through hiking. If you are say, 50% overweight, which is quite common, you are doing at least 50% more work for the same speed and distance. You need to feel the accomplishment in that. Pack as light as you can, and if you have a skinny willing hiking partner do not be afraid to spread some load their way so you can both cover more ground safely. You are already carrying more than your share. I know what it is like when people hike together. The thin ones find it easy and hike in front like heros, but it is really the heavy ones that lag behind that are doing all the work. Take pride, and take care of those joints, and the weight will come off. Take pride in every pound you hike off especially the first one. Also, if you are comfortable with your weight, don't be too concerned if it comes back on between hikes. Function over form. If you love hiking the only important thing is to maintain your weight at a weight you can hike with comfortably and safely. I think that weight is probably less as you get older, but don't be in too much of a hurry. A lot of people run to lose weight, but I really think hiking is the way to go. Then if you also love running you can take that up when your weight gets closer to a more reasonable running weight.

For me I can hike comfortably at about 240 total weight on feet, and I can run comfortably at about 200 total weight on feet, and my ideal endurance athlete weight is about 165. Include your gear weight, so when first losing weight you might focus on day hikes in summer, so you can carry less. As the weight comes off you can carry more and do more. Keep it positive. It's really needs to be addictive. Don't let that skinny old running man flying by you effect what you are doing in any way. Hopefully that will be us in another 20 years. Until then you be you and let them be them.

Carry-On
02-17-2013, 12:52
I was 220 lbs at 5'6" when I started my thruhike on April 19, 2012. My pack was around 50 lbs (yikes!). Strangely, though the people I shared the shuttle to Springer with left me behind in the first ten minutes, due to their zero days I kept running into them all the way through the Smokies. By Partnership Shelter/Marion, VA, I was down to 200 pounds and I had dropped my packweight to 38 lbs at Neels Gap so that made a big difference.

I struggled to do 20 mile days, but I did do several of them through the hike, especially slackpacking. I was often the last of my friends to arrive at camp, but I would often stop to take pictures, so that may have contributed. I made it. I had a few minor injuries, but I just kept putting one foot in front of the other for almost eight months, took my time, enjoyed many things off the trail and wouldn't change a thing.

When I finished my thruhike Dec 9, 2012 I weighed around 180 lbs and I've been very careful with my diet in the last two months, so I'm about 175 lbs now, even with very little exercise since my thruhike. I intend to do the triple crown eventually (next ten years) so I have a goal to keep the weight down and drop it even more, but not go all crazy about it. I just don't want to get back up to where I was because it did make hiking more difficult. Now I know how to make a lighter pack, too, so nothing will ever be as hard as my first few weeks on the AT (which were awesome, BTW!).

SassyWindsor
02-17-2013, 14:23
Long distance hiking is not a weight loss program, it's a temporary form of exercise with no worry about over eating , as long as you're hiking a lot of miles per day. Some obese people believe they can start at Springer and be at normal weight at Katahdin. It can happen but I would think it's rare. Afterwords, it's back to the high fat diets with no dietary control.

T.S.Kobzol
02-17-2013, 16:05
It could be a great beginning or a continuation of a life long love for the outdoors as a weekend warrior and a weekday stroller.

Long distance hiking is not a weight loss program, it's a temporary form of exercise with no worry about over eating , as long as you're hiking a lot of miles per day. Some obese people believe they can start at Springer and be at normal weight at Katahdin. It can happen but I would think it's rare. Afterwords, it's back to the high fat diets with no dietary control.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Pedaling Fool
02-17-2013, 16:14
For me, it was a reset in my physical condition, because I was starting to get fat, as do most that age. I also saw it as an opportunity to start running, since I saw hiking in the mountains near synonymous with running; walking on flat ground is very different than running, but walking in the mountains is very much similar to running.

And it worked, both in restarting my vigor for exercise in general and getting me started as a life-long runner.

So yes, a thru-hike can be a kickstart for overweight hikers, despite the fact that many that thru-hike revert back to being fattie patties:eek:;)

JAK
02-17-2013, 16:21
I agree with the last the last two. Hiking doesn't have to be a once in a lifetime thing. A long distance hike, even a section hike, can be a great kick start, and you can carry on as a weekend hiker and week day walker. I also agree it is a great exercise in itself, and a great kick start or companion activity for long distance running. I also have to congratulate john for not going on a "fatty foods don't make you fat" tirade, although I agree with him on that also. It's unburned carbs, and unburned fat, that makes you fat.

Del Q
02-17-2013, 19:11
The PERFECT DIET - eat whatever you want (can handle carrying), walk every day, all day long, 6 days a week, eat like a pig in town............get in the best shape of your life, lose a ton of weight. Learn about eating to live vs living to eat.

Join the AT Thru Hiker weight loss clinic - and its FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bear Cables
02-26-2013, 21:49
One step at a time. It's just walking. Plan short milage days and keep your pack as light as possible. Try taking 10 min Pack breaks every hours to keep you on a steady pace.

Coosa
03-05-2013, 20:59
Find a Trail Dames group near you. Trail Dames a hiking club for women of a curvy nature (http://traildames.com/)

Coosa

58starter
03-07-2013, 20:39
Go to the photo gallery section at the top and look at all the different folks hiking the trail. You will see that you will fit in just fine. Seems like only the 18 to 30 croud are slim and trim and the rest look like us.

JAK
03-07-2013, 20:49
We are not really overweight for hiking,
just a little over-recovered from our last hike or previous endeavours. :D

2014hopeful
03-21-2013, 00:00
I hated hiking. I absolutely hated it. I was heavy, wasn't used to strenuous physical activity, and hated being uncomfortable, not to mention feeling like I was slowing people down. I remember ending up in Mount Rainier park one summer and hiking solely because I was in an unfamiliar place alone and didn't know what else to do. I hiked until I was above the snow line--I didn't even know it was possible to just come upon snow in summer. I remember saying out loud, "Why would anyone do this?" Then I hit my first vista. A few years later I got a job at an outdoor ed center and was required to lead hikes with kids. During training, we did a 1.5 mile hike with 650 feet of elevation gain and I almost cried at one point when we hit a false summit and I realized I had to keep going. When I led my first High Peaks (4000 ft over 3 miles) hike in the Adirondacks of NY, I slowed the group down, but thanked them for their support, cried, and got a group hug from a bunch of 12-yr olds at the summit. I moved to Alaska and found solace alone again, hiking in deep deep wilderness like I'd never experienced before. I realized that I was seeing places I could never, ever see if I wasn't hiking.

I still sometimes have a hate mile--the very first leg of a hike before my body warms up and I wonder if I really want to do it.

It took me years to understand the value of hiking and feel confident in my physical ability. I am so happy to have discovered it as a recreational pastime, way to stay fit, and feel good about myself. I am proud of how far I've come. And I'm still learning and progressing every time I'm on a trail!

Theses are things I learned along that way and things that helped me:

1. Your pace is fine. I don't care how slow or fast you are going. If someone wants to go faster, let them. Do not feel pressured and if you do--just say so. "Sorry if I'm going a little slow." Or, just step to the side and let them pass and say you will catch up in a bit. Hikers are a good group of people and I often find that they don't even really care or appreciate the slower pace.

2. Play games! There are a ton of word games and logic games you can play while hiking with others that make time pass more quickly and can make a hike seem easier since your mind is elsewhere.

3. REST when you need to. It doesn't make sense to push yourself to injury just because you want to get a certain distance or whatever other reason. If your back hurts, take a short packs-off break. It will help you in the long run to listen to your body.

4. If someone continually criticizes your hiking, maybe you shouldn't be hiking with them. It should make you feel good at the end of the day, not question yourself.

I'm already proud of you! Go get it!!!

shelb
03-21-2013, 23:52
.... I would often stop to take pictures, so that may have contributed. I made it. ......

Wow! Wonderful pictures!

Special K
03-23-2013, 01:19
Carry-on,

CONGRATULATIONS!! Loved you blog and pics.

Coosa
03-31-2013, 12:14
If you haven't read Zach Davis' book, Appalachian Trials, I recommend it highly ... Body weight, while important to physical health, does not determine the success or failure of a hike. Mental strength & determination are 80% of what gets a hiker to complete a Thru Hike.

After you read it get Gary Taube's book Good Calories Bad Calories to read.

Zach has a blog: The Good Badger

After the hike, to keep your weight down, concentrate on eating Low to Moderate Glycemic level foods.

Warren Doyle's 8 -10 week pre-hike hikes are useful ... 2 weeks of M-W-F 3 miles & Sat 5 miles With Fully Loaded Pack. Every 2 weeks increase mileage by 2 miles. It doesn't matter if you're hiking on flat ground or not, it's about conditioning your body & mind.

You'll be surprised at what just 2-4 weeks of pre-hike hikes can accomplish even if that's all the time you have. Remember - Fully Loaded Pack! That's the key!

See you on the Trail,
Coosa

ArtificialSunshine
04-01-2013, 22:04
Hi all! New to here :) I've been browsing back through the many pages of this thread, and the posts get pretty old pretty quick. I'm sure the subject plus-size clothing for hikers has been brought up at least once in here, but I was wondering if any of you wouldn't mind reviving the question once more. I've found some success from REI and Columbia, as well as some nice looking moisture-wicking tops from Old Navy, and I got my down from Eddie Bauer. Have any of you found great clothing from any other places? As far as getting some more technical clothing pieces, are we pretty much forced to resort to mens? I especially have had trouble finding a good baselayer in my size.

Lemni Skate
04-02-2013, 15:48
Key is to hike your hike and do as many miles as you enjoy. If two miles exhausts you...well there's no rule against pitching your tent after 2 miles. Enjoy.

Coosa
04-03-2013, 16:03
Read Gary Taube's book "Good Calories Bad Calories" .... it's an eye opener.

Also, bookmark and check out The Good Badger ... http://zrdavis.com/ ... and check out his posts under HEALTH ...

AFTER the hike ... eat low and moderate glycemic foods to keep your weight down.

As for HIKING ... put on a pack [day pack with 10 essentials] bring water ... and just 'take a walk' ... walk for an hour if you can, three times a week. Then increase by half an hour every two weeks ... build up your stamina ... until you're walking 6 hours a day, three days a week. And as you purchase your gear ... lightweight because you are going to be the recipient of all this free knowledge here on White Blaze ... you'll finally be able to put a loaded pack on your back and start training ... 3 miles, 3 days a week with a full pack and 5 miles on a weekend day, then every two weeks, add 2 miles ... Do this for 10-12 weeks before you start a long distance hike.

Now, if you cannot get out for 8-10 hours a day three days a week ... do what you can ...

Coosa

Mule Team
04-04-2013, 01:40
Check out the women's hiking club I belong to, the Trail Dames www.traildames.com. Awesome group and believe me you will find supportive, kindred spirits of all shapes,sizes and ability levels.

ArtificialSunshine
04-04-2013, 08:04
Check out the women's hiking club I belong to, the Trail Dames www.traildames.com (http://www.traildames.com). Awesome group and believe me you will find supportive, kindred spirits of all shapes,sizes and ability levels.

I was so bummed to find that there wasn't one terribly close to me :( I would love to start a chapter but I just don't have the time right now, but I would love to be a part of a group like this!

S'more
04-08-2013, 17:23
I was so bummed to find that there wasn't one terribly close to me :( I would love to start a chapter but I just don't have the time right now, but I would love to be a part of a group like this!

Check out meetup.com there may be a woman's hiking group near you. there is one near me that is a spin-off, sort of, of trail dames.

ArtificialSunshine
04-28-2013, 12:07
Check out meetup.com there may be a woman's hiking group near you. there is one near me that is a spin-off, sort of, of trail dames.

Good thinkin' :)

RJ Lewis
04-28-2013, 21:25
I think there is great advice all around here... I agree...go slow...and look for the small changes at first in your body. I remember a gal I used to live near...SWORE she couldn't hike more than a mile...soooo I took her out just walking around the area....when we got back, I showed her on the GPS that she had walked over 3 miles!! She was amazed and every day after that, would get out and hike a local trail we lived on.

Just keep on keepin on, and soon you will be there. =)

katypaty
05-03-2013, 05:31
Don’t worry. I have my own experiences. Hiking is a good way of losing your weight. But please do for a limit. Don’t work harder in hiking. If you feel uncomfortable don’t continue. Give some rest and start again. The people who’s going to hike with you should understand your situation.

Butterfly58
05-23-2013, 20:59
Wow, this was soooo encouraging and helpful for me to read tonight. I've been dreaming of hiking the AT all my life and I've finally decided to do it next year. I'm really overweight though and just this week I finally decided to start training. I live in Florida, so no mountains near me! But I know I need to toughen my feet and start walking so the beach is the most logical and beautiful place. So I've been going to the beach every morning and walking barefoot on the shells (ouch!) for an hour as a start. Thanks for all the helpful posts. I'm also planning on going to the Trail Dames Summit in July. We don't have a chapter down here but the Summit looks like a great place to learn some stuff to help me prepare for my hike. Anyone else going?

Wise Old Owl
05-23-2013, 21:12
OK Girls the Bumpjumper has not been here since January

Butterfly58
05-25-2013, 13:50
Doesn't matter, sometimes reading old threads is still very helpful

shelb
05-27-2013, 22:40
Wow, this was soooo encouraging and helpful for me to read tonight. ...I finally decided to start training. I live in Florida, so no mountains near me! But I know I need to toughen my feet a...

It is flat in my area too, so I have found a state park that has a lot of steps (1/4 mile up a sand dune). I hike up and down those suckers over and over and over and over...lol....

As another overweight hiker, I can say that each year I have taken off a few pounds, I have noticed a difference. I still have many pounds to take off, but every little bit helps!

Armywife
07-11-2013, 19:38
I am obese, as in morbidly obese according to the numbers. I can also run 3 miles at a time or hike 12 miles. After trying everything under the sun to try to lose the flab I went to my doctor. He said that it would take something as drastic as hiking a couple thousand miles at a time to knock my body off its flabby butt. Good thing I had been planning a hike for a few years! I am going to be training over the next few months to make sure I don't hurt myself though! According to Justin Lichter I want to hike with an empty pack until I hit my base milage (11 miles a day) then start adding weight until I can manage the 11 with my full pack on. That's what I am doing. (his book Trail Tested is quickly becoming my bible). I am planning on hitting the end of the trail on my 40th birthday. :) OH! Make sure your pack will shrink with you! I got fitted for my pack (Quest 65L) today and it small enough (medium) that I can wear it comfortably now and it should have no trouble shrinking as I shrink. You also want to find out how many calories you need to eat to maintain the weight you want to be at. So, I would be perfectly fine at 170 pounds, so I need to eat 4K calories a day while hiking to maintain that weight, which will allow those pesky 60+ to find new homes along the trail. In order to maintain my current weight I would need to eat closer to 6K. I hope this helps!

Lemni Skate
07-14-2013, 10:39
Yep, I'm really heavy myself. Just don't push for miles. Hike until you're tired and stop. After a month you'll be hiking as many miles as anyone.

Granwalker
10-03-2013, 21:27
One of the great Hiking books is Following Atticus. The author is a very heavy journalist who did all the 4000 footers with his Schnauzer name of Atticus. One of the funniest moments happens when a group of hyper fit, extravagantly geared up group makes it to a halt near the top of Mt. Washington, and encounters their worst nightmare---a fat man with a small dog. Book is definitely worth everyone's while.

ugggggggh
02-12-2014, 16:35
i am sooo fat. " how fat are you?" i am sooo fat when i typed this reply i wanted to eat the key board! any way i am fat and i am convinced that i will hike a good part of the at cause it means so much to me to do it! any more questions? you go for it!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-13-2014, 01:05
40 years ago I waited for them(those OLD people) at the top of every hill. Life has a way of coming full circle. I always make sure that I'm carrying dinner or the stove - that way they CAN'T leave me behind!;)
Should be like facebook, where we can "like" something. Like your stradegy 4eyed :cool:

Butterfly58
02-14-2014, 20:13
Who cares if you're fat? Doesn't really matter. A lot of fat people hike. Have you looked at anybody's pictures here or on trailjournals? Do what you can do and be proud that you did it, whatever it is. What a fun way to get in shape, right?

AngelEyez
02-14-2014, 21:00
don’t know if its been said but its not about how fast one get to there destination it about the fun and the memories one makes getting there.:banana

kayak karl
02-14-2014, 22:20
i like when this thread pops up and remembering all the people that posted in the beginning :sun

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2014, 22:39
Uh me too missed BJ' posts for a while... shame really...

Rebelgirluk
12-10-2014, 10:10
Hun, take it slow, travel light, walk your own walk, try lighter weight walking shoes, carry safe minimum with a little extra. Use hiking poles, take knees supports, enjoy zero days, it will work out... Just be gentle on yourself. I'm not a little bitty thing either...

Mama
12-19-2014, 18:34
Ok, I am new to this hiking thing. Trailtalker got me into it. I want to know how hard this is going to be for an overweight woman to do.
No fat jokes ok.....
I aint morbidly obese but I carry alot of extra weight.

Hi BumpJumper,

I am living proof that you don't have to be thin to enjoy hiking and backpacking.

When I was younger I was considered obese according to the charts, weighing in at 173 pounds. I worked out on the stair climber 5 days a week, and took as many walks and day hikes as I could squeeze into my schedule to stay in shape for backpacking trips. Despite my weight i was able to keep up with and sometimes out hike thinner friends on backpacking trips, probably because I exercised so much. Based on that experience I learned that if you exercise in a way that prepares you for your hikes you will do well.

Now I'm 48 and I weigh about 150 pounds, still overweight according to the charts. I go to the gym and do cardio 5 days a week along with strength training twice a week. I also day hike once a week to stay in shape for backpacking and canoe tripping. I still attribute my ability to do well on hikes to the exercise. I don't think my "overweight" on the chart is hampering my ability to hike.

If you're truly new to this, my advice is start out with easy and then work into moderate hikes before working up to higher miles and strenuous terrain. if you are truly new to this, for exercise I'd start out walking at 4 or 5 days a and work my way up in speed and distance before tackling more strenuous excercise. Of course I'm not a doctor and you should use your own good judgment and self knowledge, and seek a doctors opinion regarding your state of health and exercise recommendations.

Happy Hiking!

Connie
12-19-2014, 18:42
I saw an "obese" man "set" a woman back on her feet, with one hand.

The woman fell backward to the floor. The instant before she hit the floor, he got one hand under her back, setting her back upright on her feet.

It was on the city bus.

I know him. I walked with him all over San Francisco, CA to help "me" get "in shape".

This shows me, "obese" or not, you can be strong, you can be "in shape" athletically. You only have to do what is involved with achieving strength, and, getting "in shape".

It became apparent, to me, overall size in height, or, volume is not the determining factor.

bethmess
12-28-2014, 17:42
Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere - I looked a bit and couldn't find it.

I am an overweight lady trying to get trail ready for a thru hike in the spring. To give you an idea - 5'7, about 280 pounds. I'm mainly going to lose weight and change my way of thinking. I've been through some stuff and am ready to get gone! This thread has been SO HELPFUL AND ENCOURAGING. I really appreciate it.

My question of the moment is in regards to gear - I'm looking online currently at backpacks and sleeping bags with the intention of also checking in store later, but am doing my research. Has anyone had any issue with fitting into sleeping bags/are there are bags that are roomier but still lightweight and compact? Also, with backpacks, are there any packs anyone can suggest that are widely adjustable and comfy for larger bodies? If I'm going to be losing weight along the way I'll need to adjust it, but it's gotta be bigger at the start too.

For reference - waist is about 42 in hips 60. Hips are always where things are snug on me.

Connie
12-28-2014, 19:13
I think packstraps that are wide on the shoulders could be more comfortable.

The Granite Gear website has shoulder straps that are wide.

otherwise, pack fit would be determined by length from C7 neck to waist: see sizing help. There are differences: one sizing help wants the length from C7 neck to the illiac crest of the hip.

Sleeping bags for women are the right shape for women. The Big Agnes brand fits bigger men and women.

I use a sleeping quilt. If 280 lbs. for 5'7" I would select Wide instead of Standard. I would select a skeeping pad by width, as well. Start with 25" wide air mattress or inflatable sleeping pad.

Many Moons
12-28-2014, 22:07
Move more! Eat less!

One-8T
12-28-2014, 22:36
Move more! Eat less!
Why be a butt? She was honest, open and sincere and asked questions relevant to her, but you contributed nothing but a negative comment. Someone who admits to being overweight and wanting to do something about it should be provided support and positive feedback. if you can't do that, it is very easy to simply say nothing at all.
Many Moons - While I wish you the best in your hiking endeavors and enjoyment of the outdoors, I also hope you find some tolerance and compassion. Best Wishes.
Bethmess - Connie has provided sound advice. Additionally, you can take some time to go to an outfitter and literally try some bags and packs on for size. Most have no problem with you snuggling into a bag to see how it fits prior to purchase.
Good Luck on your hike this Spring. Slow and steady at the beginning and you will ease into the flow of longer miles.

Many Moons
12-28-2014, 22:44
Date of post is old. I am a personal trainer and bodybuilder. My post stands for advice! Move more! Eat less!,,
Hike On!!!
Miller

Why be a butt? She was honest, open and sincere and asked questions relevant to her, but you contributed nothing but a negative comment. Someone who admits to being overweight and wanting to do something about it should be provided support and positive feedback. if you can't do that, it is very easy to simply say nothing at all.
Many Moons - While I wish you the best in your hiking endeavors and enjoyment of the outdoors, I also hope you find some tolerance and compassion. Best Wishes.
Bethmess - Connie has provided sound advice. Additionally, you can take some time to go to an outfitter and literally try some bags and packs on for size. Most have no problem with you snuggling into a bag to see how it fits prior to purchase.
Good Luck on your hike this Spring. Slow and steady at the beginning and you will ease into the flow of longer miles.

Connie
12-28-2014, 23:31
Today's post.

Hammock Gear and Enlightened Equipment will make-to-measure, if need a different size than their offered sizes.

They make top quilts.

I would not purchase a backpack without a return policy, or, better, trying it on and walking around with the weight inside you intend to carry. If too much weight to carry, consider more lightweight gear. I walk around. I kneel to tie a shoe. I shift around. Does the backpack slide around? Does this backpack throw me off balance? Does this backpack feel right? Is there a mesh back? This helps keep perspiration off. Is there a mesh pocket? This is good for wet gear?

The mid-size Osprey Exos may be a likely backpack.

Traveler
12-29-2014, 07:45
Connie is right in regard to trying on the gear first. In order to figure out the best pack for you now is to get a pack "for now", never mind where you may be in terms of weight loss or body shape changes after a few months of use. You will get far more use and enjoyment from a pack that fits you well than getting one for a future goal that does not. I would recommend getting to an EMS or REI store and investigate the packs they have. Sales staff are typically well trained and are hikers themselves, offering some fair advice and objectivity you will probably find useful.

There is a significant used gear market you will be able to sell the pack into should you find it no longer fits you or your needs in a pack are redefined as your experience and ambitions grow. It is a grand adventure you are engaging, I wish you well!

CoffeeBager
12-30-2014, 00:39
I sent bethmess a longer PM, but for future reference for others looking, I'm a big-hip lady, and here's my basic setup:
Sleeping bag--Montbell UL Super Spiral (15 degree). Pro: elastic flexes to accommodate larger bodies. Con: Very large in the shoulder area, which isn't ideal for women.
Pad--Exped UL 7 Synmat. Pro: Thick but lightweight pad provides sufficient cushioning for big hips. Tip: Buy the Schnozzel pump bag to make inflation much easier.
Pack--Deuter ACT lite 45+10 (women's specific). Pro: Women's specific design has tilted hip belt to accommodate women's shape better. Con: weight.

RainbowDash
12-30-2014, 00:47
Try a sleeping quilt! That don't have the bottom part so you can stretch out ( the bottom is useless anyway). I know how your feeling! I weigh 260 and am the same height as you. I am joining a gym in March after I finish my car payments. I use to be skinny but moved to I indiana which has nothing to do lol.

davismills
01-02-2015, 09:26
I do two short (ten day) section hikes in May and Sept. I start out really panting on the hills the first few days, but it gets easier and feels fairly normal by day three. Since my hikes are short in duration, I have very little appetite and usually drop 3/4 lb per day. I usually gain it all back in a few weeks after completion. Nevertheless, it's a great weight loss program and always FUN.

Demeter
01-18-2015, 07:45
I do two short (ten day) section hikes in May and Sept. I start out really panting on the hills the first few days, but it gets easier and feels fairly normal by day three. Since my hikes are short in duration, I have very little appetite and usually drop 3/4 lb per day. I usually gain it all back in a few weeks after completion. Nevertheless, it's a great weight loss program and always FUN.

even if you gain some back, it's a great way to kick off some muscle-building. I always think each hike is an opportunity to build leg muscles (and butt, and back!), no matter how short or steep. Muscles burn more calories than fat!