PDA

View Full Version : Hogzilla caught

StarLyte
01-07-2007, 05:25
A long time ago, I remember camping out at Three Forks, and was awoken by a grunting, large animal, who was beating his hooves into the ground outside of my tent as if to say...."you're in my path"........it was full moon.....it most definitely was a boar, wild pig. I often wondered about that pig.....it's one of my very favorite trail stories.

Here's a link to story about the capture of a wild pig.....click here (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/10682932/detail.html)....I'm sending you the link so that you can view the photo.

TOW
01-07-2007, 11:59
Man, could you imagine cooking that thing up at a hiker feed?

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 12:05
Man, could you imagine cooking that thing up at a hiker feed?

would taste like *****t. too big and old.

khaynie
01-07-2007, 12:14
You should have heard the interview with the shooter. It was quite funny depending on your sense of humor... People of the town were driving by his house to have a peek at this "hogzilla" that he had hung up from a tree in his front yard. Nice score.

mrc237
01-07-2007, 12:28
Saw one of these on the Florida Trail of course smaller than the one pictured. I had hoped it was a boar 'till a local told me it was just a pig.

Desert Lobster
01-07-2007, 12:59
LW,

Speaking of pigs, were you at Maineak's pig roast when the hiker given the honor to shoot the pig failed in his job and the pig ran into the road and committed suicide?

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 13:02
No. What year was that? I had the honors in 92. Shot it point blank with a .410 slug. That was the best pig I've ever eatan.

Cuffs
01-07-2007, 16:55
Florida has such a problem with feral hogs that there is no closed season on them. We used to go out regularly and "clean up neighborhoods" of these beasts. At first we just hunted them, cleaned them and cooked up the hocks (about the only "good" part of a wild hog). Later we learned a local hunting ranch would buy them from us by the pound if we brought them in alive. Well, needless to say, I made a few bucks off of that venture!

As someone mentioned earlier... they are all pigs or hogs... boars are the males. You must be especially wary of them and their tusks. I have a pair of tusks off one that are almost 4 inches long each! And they will not hesitate to chase you or your hunting dogs. Oh, and they will kill the dog if they get the chance!

MOWGLI
01-07-2007, 17:06
I've only seen Wild Boar on the Benton MacKaye Trail. A sow and three piglets. I bet those piglets would have been nice and tender!

Cuffs
01-07-2007, 17:14
Ive seen a sow and several piglets too, in Sipsey Wilderness... They are getting further and further north... just like the alligators are... saw them in Tennessee River this summer (learned that theyve been there for over 30 years tho!!)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-07-2007, 17:25
We saw a wild boar while walking out Parsons Branch Road from the TN 129 / NC 28 side. It was in the flat spot that had flooded about a mile from the main road. It appeared to be a true European boar - like this one (http://www.steele.com/pirosmani/animals/boar.jpg). This portion of Parsons Branch Road is only about four miles as the crow flies from the BMT at Cheoah Dam.

Dances with Mice
01-07-2007, 17:27
Man, could you imagine cooking that thing up at a hiker feed?Wolf is right, yeah, but I imagine there were a few others like me here in Georgia thinking about how they could do it....

First, the rules: You can't cut it up, we're going whole hog. You have to use what's on hand as if someone just drove up with it on a flatbed, you don't have a couple days to prepare.

And I thought and figured but I can't do it. I can do a 200 pounder easy - that's on the hoof - and maybe one three times that. For Hogzilla, I can get pretty close but I'd still need to rent a backhoe and buy a truckload of ice.

But I am getting hungry!

Skidsteer
01-07-2007, 17:52
And I thought and figured but I can't do it. I can do a 200 pounder easy - that's on the hoof - and maybe one three times that. For Hogzilla, I can get pretty close but I'd still need to rent a backhoe and buy a truckload of ice.

But I am getting hungry!

I should know better but OK Dances, what's the ice for?

Dances with Mice
01-07-2007, 19:28
I should know better but OK Dances, what's the ice for?Serious stuff, Skid. If my son's girlfriend's grandmother's husband showed up tonight with a hogzilla (...and he'd be the one that would...) the first order of business would be to clean it. That's the first thing we'd need the backhoe for, to dig a hole for the waste. I don't do chit'lins.

Then we'd need to cool the carcass while digging the pit and laying in the support, building the fire and letting it burn down to coals, and fabricating the pit lid. And we'd have to scrape out another area to start the replacement coal fire. And get 'bout another half-cord of wood. That all would take about a day, at the soonest, so I figure it'd take a truckload of ice to cool the hog and enough beverages to keep the crew working constantly if not alway steadily.

Cuffs
01-07-2007, 19:38
the first order of business would be to clean it. That's the first thing we'd need the backhoe for, to dig a hole for the waste. I don't do chit'lins.

I got a deer on Thursday, and by the time I reached my car w/ the deer on the ATV, the buzzards had already landed and began devouring any remains I had left in the field!!

Then we'd need to cool the carcass while digging the pit and laying in the support,

I made a very tall support pole that resembles a real estate for sale sign post (think inverted L) but stands about 12' high. Thats how I hang and cool my venison...

...and enough beverages to keep the crew working constantly if not alway steadily.

Now thats what the ice should be for!! Keeping beverages cold!

All in jest, DWM, I like your thinking!

Jan LiteShoe
01-07-2007, 19:42
Here's a link to story about the capture of a wild pig.....click here (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/10682932/detail.html)....I'm sending you the link so that you can view the photo.

You're not bringing him to the SoRuck?
:)

Cuffs
01-07-2007, 19:50

BACON BACON BACON!!!!

Skidsteer
01-07-2007, 19:53
Serious stuff, Skid. If my son's girlfriend's grandmother's husband showed up tonight with a hogzilla (...and he'd be the one that would...) the first order of business would be to clean it. That's the first thing we'd need the backhoe for, to dig a hole for the waste. I don't do chit'lins.

Then we'd need to cool the carcass while digging the pit and laying in the support, building the fire and letting it burn down to coals, and fabricating the pit lid. And we'd have to scrape out another area to start the replacement coal fire. And get 'bout another half-cord of wood. That all would take about a day, at the soonest, so I figure it'd take a truckload of ice to cool the hog and enough beverages to keep the crew working constantly if not alway steadily.

the first order of business would be to clean it. That's the first thing we'd need the backhoe for, to dig a hole for the waste. I don't do chit'lins.

I got a deer on Thursday, and by the time I reached my car w/ the deer on the ATV, the buzzards had already landed and began devouring any remains I had left in the field!!

Then we'd need to cool the carcass while digging the pit and laying in the support,

I made a very tall support pole that resembles a real estate for sale sign post (think inverted L) but stands about 12' high. Thats how I hang and cool my venison...

...and enough beverages to keep the crew working constantly if not alway steadily.

Thanks guys. I knew beverages would figure big in the equation-that's what perked my ears up.

If the occasion ever arises, I've got a Bobcat(AKA a skidsteer loader)with a lifting capacity of 1400 lbs.; And I know how to use it. I also have a trailer to haul it around on.

We're set.

Jan LiteShoe
01-07-2007, 19:57
BACON BACON BACON!!!!

Say it again, gal!

Dances with Mice
01-07-2007, 20:03
We're set.Nothing goes together better than heavy equipment and cold beverages.

ed bell
01-07-2007, 20:14
Nothing goes together better than heavy equipment and cold beverages.Just make sure you call to get all the utilities marked at least 72 hours before you start drinking.;)

Green Bean
01-07-2007, 21:11
well... now im gonna feel a lot saver now i dont have to worry about the "hogzillla" creepin around!! ~GB

Newb
01-08-2007, 09:26
I should know better but OK Dances, what's the ice for?

For the Margaritas you drink while the hog is cooking. Duh. :D

rhjanes
01-08-2007, 10:30
strange how this thread

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20325

and THIS thread (hogzilla) are on today. ;)

Newb
01-08-2007, 11:19
Turns out it wasn't a hog at all. It was a mouse from the shelter on Blood Mountain.

Gray Blazer
01-08-2007, 11:42
Ive seen a sow and several piglets too, in Sipsey Wilderness... They are getting further and further north... just like the alligators are... saw them in Tennessee River this summer (learned that theyve been there for over 30 years tho!!)Gators will be in Arizona tonite.:sun

Gray Blazer
01-08-2007, 11:45
Nothing goes together better than heavy equipment and cold beverages.How about cold medicine?

highway
01-08-2007, 11:53
Gators will be in Arizona tonite.:sun
And the 'bait' will be there too!:D

Dances with Mice
01-08-2007, 11:59
How about cold medicine?So how much more ice will you need to keep your medicine cold?

cannonball
01-08-2007, 12:32

You field dress your deer? If any thing ever happens to Mrs. Cannonball, would you marry me?:D

AbeHikes
01-08-2007, 15:58
BACON BACON BACON!!!!

Oh, now that's funny.

StarLyte
01-08-2007, 17:40

OMG Jan I needed this laugh so bad-- you have no clue.

Sure, I have a couple pigs I can bring to the Ruck, and you'd better believe I am quite capable of cooking them.

Blackstone agrees. :D