PDA

View Full Version : '07 Thru Hike Tent help please!

Socrates
01-07-2007, 08:08
Greetings and thankyou once again to you who have been so nice to come here and assist me with my equipment options! For those of you who recognize me, you'll be proud to know that I have decided to not go with the 6 pound Nemo Morpho tent... Even though it is really cool! lol
SO, here's what I'm looking for... A quality 2 person, single wall, water proof, well ventilated tent. And you guys would NEVER mention a heavy product so I'm not worried about that! (Also long enough for my 6'4" length to sleep in without compromise.) And if you guys come back and tell me that my only option is the Nemo Morpho, I'm going to scream.
With that said, I found one tent called the Taiga Solace Deluxe. The only problem is that I can't find much of anything on it except for the website selling it. Usually a good product will pop up all over a google search. Heard of it?
So what's the word? I'll keep looking, but I know you guys know quality names and features better than I do.
I'll be buying something by the end of the week so get to work! lol Thanks again! ~ Socrates

Socrates
01-07-2007, 08:11
Ok, scratch the Taiga Solace Deluxe. It's a solo tent. Back to square one!

hammock engineer
01-07-2007, 08:21
Give hammocks a look. If you have the time before you start to give it a good try first. It takes a little more thought and effort than a tent.

Having said that, check out www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com) . A lot of people who post here use them. They uswe your hiking polls to save weight. They have some sub 2 lbs tents. This is the type of tent I am going to get for those treeless hikes.

KG4FAM
01-07-2007, 08:52
I only have personal experiance with the Big Agnes Sarvis and Seedhouse. I have the Seedhouse myself and my brother has the Sarvis. I have the seedhouse one so I can't comment on the room of the two person, but I do like the tent and the two person sl is under three pounds for a full double wall tent. You said that you wanted a single wall, but if you dont have to worry about touching the sides you are a lot more comfortable especially if you are tall and have your body filling most of the length of the tent. The sarvis is massive, but it is a little on the heavy side just under four pounds. You could have a four person card game during a rain storm in this thing. It is a bit more complicated to set up, but it is freaking huge. These arn't the lightest things out there, but they are nice. If you want the lightest get a tarptent, I like my double walls though.

RiverWarriorPJ
01-07-2007, 09:20
I use the "Zeus" (also my dogs name). I have read some bad reviews on this model, but I would swear by it & has always kept me dry & comfy.......Since it is a single wall.....be sure to adjust the vents properly b/4 zZz time......And best of all....it looks kool..lol..

RiverWarriorPJ
01-07-2007, 09:21
http://www.eurekatent.com/zeus2classic.asp

Big Dawg
01-07-2007, 11:59
Socrates, take a look at the Henry Shires Tarptent Double Rainbow, http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow.html ,,,, it's a sweet setup for us big guys (I'm 6'5"), and at only 2 & 1/2 lbs. It's a 2 man tent, but for us big guys, it's a one man tent w/ some room to spread out you gear, and easily accomodates another person if need be (I know that was an option you wanted to have based on your other "gear list" post). Do a search here on Whiteblaze and see all of the praise for Tarptents. You can't go wrong w/ this tent,, & it'll hush the crowd of "Nemo Morpho" gaspers.:D Good luck w/ your gear list and hike. Maybe I'll see ya on the trail!!

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 12:01
single wall tents kinda suck. lots of condensation. i have a northface canyonlands. nice little tent. 3lbs.

Hana_Hanger
01-07-2007, 12:17
If you can get to a outfitters store...it is the best way. Then you can crawl in and out of the tents and see which is easy for you and which feels the most roomy and comfortable.
There are sooooo many great light weight tents out there now adays.

You need to see if you prefer the side doors or end entries....single or double wall.
I LOVE a large vestibule where my gear/pack is out of the wind and rain...but close at hand and not in my way inside the tent.

For me as well I HAVE to be able to sit up without feeling cramped!
If two people are hiking together you can share the weight of the tent if it weighs a little more but has the features you prefer.

So I have one that weighs in at 5 lbs which I love and one that only ways 2 lbs for solo for when I cannot hang in my hammock.
Google the name of the tents and then it usually brings up sites that have reviews...this helps as well. Check out Campmor and REI web sites they usually describe the tents fairly well.

I REALLY LOVE this site....for the details and the photos showing the tent in use and the models crawling in and out or sitting inside....it sure helps in seeing just how much room you do have if not able to see the tent in person.....check it out!!!

http://www.moontrail.com/tents/tent_overview.html

mountain squid
01-07-2007, 12:30
Also consider this:
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

It might not be available yet, but you could contact them and, well, you never know...

I've used the lunar solo and the tarptent virga. I like both, but the lunar solo has better, useable interior space...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-07-2007, 12:30
Given the fact that you are 6' 4" and want a 2 person tent - look at these Tarptents (http://www.tarptent.com/products.html): tarptent double rainbow (http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow.html), tarptent Rainshadow (http://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow2.html), tarptent Cloudburst (http://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst2.html)

You might also want to consider the soon to be available Six Moon Design Lunar Duo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47). I saw the prototype at the Gathering this year and this is a sweet tent.

RiverWarriorPJ
01-07-2007, 12:42
that MoonTrail site is pretty kool....thnx Gail..

Hana_Hanger
01-07-2007, 12:52
that MoonTrail site is pretty kool....thnx Gail..
Your Welcome....
I really love the details and all the photos....this site has saved me from making plenty of gear mistakes and saved me lots of money:p
or wait has it cost me more????:D

handlebar
01-07-2007, 12:59
I'm glad you decided to lighten up on the tent.

You might want to check the MSR HubbaHubba. It's 84" long but weights about 4 lbs. They also make the 1 person Hubba which would be lighter. Cohiba (check his 06 journal on trailjournals.com) used the HubbaHubba. He felt the one-man Hubba would be too small. This is a quality doublewall tent that I think is long enough for you.

(I used the Marmot EOS1, but it would be too short for you).

Whatever you get, practice setting up at home in an actual or "pretend" rainstorm. I had one occasion to set up in hard freezing rain atop Tray Mtn when the shelter for 8 was packed with 12 people and I was developing hypothermia. Was able to keep the tent and all my stuff dry by first setting up the fly and footprint, then putting up the tent from under the fly.

If you sleep cold, I suggest you avoid the hammock. Veto, my 06 hiking buddy, found his hammock very cold and switched back to his tent.

the_iceman
01-07-2007, 12:59
I have the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL-2. It is a great tent and a whole lot roomier than my Sierra Designs Clip light and a pound lighter. I shopped a long time and I don’t think there is a better REAL 2 person tent out there.
I got the 2 person because I thought the 1 person would be too cramped since I pan on tenting a lot and taking nearos of zeros when ever I can. The SL-2 is like a palace.
After I got it plans changed and I am going to solo and starting in early March. Originally I thought I would go out with my brother in mid February and we could carry one tent for the first 4 - 6 weeks since we would probably have no problem getting shelters.
Now I kind of wish I got the SL-1. The thing is it is only 25% smaller but it also only about 20% (0.9 oz with footprint) lighter and would set me back an additional $250 when I already have a brand new SL-2. That is like 5 nights in town.

the_iceman
01-07-2007, 13:01
The Big Agnes SL-2 is 2 lbs 14 oz. The footprint is 6.5 oz.

Big Dawg
01-07-2007, 15:49
single wall tents kinda suck. lots of condensation. i have a northface canyonlands. nice little tent. 3lbs.

I've not had much of a problem w/ condensation using my Double Rainbow, and the few times I do, it's easily wiped off.

WhoAh
01-07-2007, 19:02
I'm planning on using the MSR Fling for my thru this year - looks like a TarpTent ripoff.... so far I really like it but have only done a couple of nights out in the yard in it.

rafe
01-07-2007, 19:53
I just got back from an overnight on the Mid-State trail in MA. Spent a windy night in my Tarptent Rainbow. The tent performed admirably. Compared to any solo backpacking tent I've ever used before, it's a) 1 lb lighter and b) palatial in terms of headroom and floor space. Setup/takedown couldn't be easier. No condensation that I could notice. A keeper!

rafe
01-07-2007, 19:54
Sierra Designs Lightyear. Under 3 pounds, about $130. Big enough, and a decent sized vestibule.

Nice tent, but a bit heavy. Big Agnes SL1 is at least a pound lighter, double-walled, and free-standing to boot.

rafe
01-07-2007, 20:06
SD lightyear is doublewalled. More like 7 oz lighter, and $100 more expensive, and freestanding.

http://www.rei.com/online/ComparisonChartDisplay.do?type=User&storeId=8000

The newer B.A. SL1 is 2 lb 4 oz (36 oz) trail-ready. I've weighed it. My SD Lightyear weighed 53 oz, trail-ready. I've since returned it to REI.

maxNcathy
01-07-2007, 21:11

For under 3 lbs try the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. Condensation turns to inner rain at times.

cutman11
01-08-2007, 20:24
Hard to find, harder to order, but the tent I have is the Wanderlust 2-4-2. Singlewalled, good ventilation so not much condensation, footprint is 48x84, uses your hiking poles for support. Weight= 31oz with stuffsac. You can fit in it with room for your pack and your boots can go in or under the "porch awning". I paid $180 for a second hand one(original $250). Kurt Russell was making these a few yrs back, got a bad rep for slow replies to inquiries, but the tent quality once it arrived was great, they were hand made by him. I dont know if he is still making them, I lost the web address.

mindi
01-08-2007, 22:53
I got a Tarptent Squall and I love it. Plenty of room for two or for one person plus your whole pack, airy, and comfortable.

:) Mindi

copythat
01-09-2007, 18:44
The newer B.A. SL1 is 2 lb 4 oz (36 oz) trail-ready. I've weighed it. My SD Lightyear weighed 53 oz, trail-ready. I've since returned it to REI.

if i'm reading the specs right, you can get a b.a. seedhouse sl2 that weighs LESS than the lightyear and has TONS of extra room. so if you don't mind carrying 50-something ounces, you might as well have enough room to host a poker game.

(i've owned a lightyear for a few years. not crazy about it, the weight/space thing.)

rafe
01-09-2007, 18:49
if i'm reading the specs right, you can get a b.a. seedhouse sl2 that weighs LESS than the lightyear and has TONS of extra room. so if you don't mind carrying 50-something ounces, you might as well have enough room to host a poker game.

(i've owned a lightyear for a few years. not crazy about it, the weight/space thing.)

Umm, yes... that was my point. From what I've seen the (new) B.A. SL series are about the lightest double-wall tents around. The Big Sky tents match them (on paper) but apparently have other issues (eg., timely delivery.) The Lightyear was an "upgrade" from my old Eureka Gossamer ... but I returned it after realizing that it was nearly half a pound heavier.

copythat
01-09-2007, 18:51
Umm, yes... that was my point ...

sorry. posting without reading carefully gets me EVERY time. :(

mweinstone
01-09-2007, 19:18
i am a solver. if you got a problem, i can solve them, ( vanilla ice) . i offer you a gift sir or mam. you may have my other tent. its a chouinard megamid. single pole teepee tarp. it is in mint condish and i replaced it with the new one made from sil non and with the new black diamond bibler logo cause chouinard changed things at patagonia when a kid fell out of a harness. long short, this is your new floorles tent. floor is 79 bucks and works like a charm.this tent is four man and under three pounds and tested in the andes. it can be used so many ways it aint funny. look it up, study it and say yes. then ill ship it tommorow and have bragging rights that my tent went to a happy place. its old but fine. no damage. all good. all cool.

mweinstone
01-09-2007, 19:30
please give this poor tent your love.

mweinstone
01-09-2007, 19:37
jay michels is comming down the isle ,..tel us what you've got jay! well monty,.. ita a chiouinard megamid tent. its never been stored folded allways hung. its only ever been washed with doc bronners. its seam sealed by mathewski a painter caulker by trade. its more than enough tent for anyone. new ones have a top vent old ones dont. never leakes a drip. shockcord replaced recently. cusomized fly fishing tail of string protrudes from pole giving another anchor to dry sox or to fly fish , atatch a tapered lead and go baby! i carry hooks biatches!

hopefulhiker
01-09-2007, 20:58
Another vote here for the Tarp tent style of tent... check these out for sure.... for double walls saw a lot of hubbas out there in 05...

maxNcathy
01-11-2007, 09:39
For a big guy who likes elbow room get the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 . Footprint not needed.
I have the SL1 and it is light, sturdy and rainproof.
Sandalwood

Socrates
01-11-2007, 09:58
Ok, I got a tent now. Thanks for all the help!

rafe
01-11-2007, 10:05

PS: on most modern tents, no need for a groundcloth. That's extra weight you don't need to carry.

Big Dawg
01-11-2007, 10:26

Uhhhhh, please share.... which one did you decide on? :-?

fonsie
01-11-2007, 12:18
I whent with the Big Anges seedhouse SL 1ten its 90" by 43" and it wheighs 2lbs 6ounces....its around $250 its roomy and its lighter than the hubba, wich I might sell.