PDA

View Full Version : Lost Hiker, Some good lessons

STEVEM
01-07-2007, 09:59
This story is not directly related to the AT, but it does point to much of the good advice I have read here.

Yesterday the weather was really nice so I decided to do a little peakbagging. My normal winter turnaround time is 2:00 PM and I was very close to that time as I reached the summit of Cornell Mountain. My plan was to reach the summit viewpoint and immediately turnaround so as to reach my car at sunset.

At the viewpoint, there was a young man carrying a small fanny pack and accompanied by a medium sized older dog. I said hello and turned to leave. At that point he asked me if I thought he could leave the trail and take a shortcut back to his car by bushwacking through the forest. The direction he was looking was to the south toward Friday Mtn. This area has no trails and is ruled by balsam thickets and blowdown so dense that you can't see two feet and sometimes you need to crawl to get through. The mountain is also fronted by a cliff nearly a mile long.

Based on his questions I realized that he was lost. I determined that he thought he was on Table Mtn. which is 5 straightline or 10 trail miles to the southwest. Table Mtn is equally remote and even further from his car. I showed him my map, and he asked me if I was sure about what I was telling him. I assured him that I was.

I told him that he needed to simply follow the trail back up Slide Mtn and back down to his car a distance of about 6 miles. He said he couldn't because the backside of Slide was too steep for the dog. I then showed him the route in the opposite direction (from which I came) and offered to hike with him to my car and drive him back to his car. He declined my offer and quickly left in the direction I had shown him. I expected to see him waiting for me at the trailhead, but he wasn't there. If he did successfully loop back to his car, his hike would be about 17 miles with 5000-6000 ft of elevation change, at least 5 miles in the dark.

The lessons here as I see them:
1. Always carry a map.
2. Always carry some equipment in anticipation of the unexpected.
3. Don't leave a marked trail if you are lost.
4. Don't exceed the abilities of your dog.
5. If you need help then ask.
6. If help is offered, consider accepting.

Chip
01-07-2007, 10:10
Hope he made it out ok. He should have taken your offer. I think you 6 points are good ones. :)

stumpy
01-07-2007, 11:10
This reminds me of a trip that I once was on. I was hiking with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law on the AT in Gergia/NC area in March. We had spent one night in on the trail and was working on our second day. It had become obvoius that some severe weather was moving in on that second day. My partners (being from Florida) did not bring the proper clothing for this type of weather. I was starting to get a little worried about our next day. We happened upon a group of day hikers at Bly Gap. They offered to take us back to our cars if we walked out with them. My in-laws did not really want to cut thier trip short becouse of how far they had driven. However, I convinced them to abort our trip. We would have probably been OK, but they would have been miserable at best. We walked to the cars and got off the mountain. I am glade that we accecpted the help when it was offered.