PDA

View Full Version : what happened at neels gap?

mountain squid
01-07-2007, 13:11
This keeps coming up in other threads. Although, there may not be time for 07 NOBO’s to make adjustments, all the lurkers and future hikers might benefit from others experiences. Please share:

What happened when you made it to Neels Gap?
What new equipment did you purchase?
What did you send home?
It might be hard to admit, but how much money did you spend?
Any other relevant thoughts...

If you did make it past Neels Gap unscathed, did you exchange any gear later on?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mountain squid
01-07-2007, 13:13
I didn’t purchase any new gear. Things I sent home:

** my backpack “lid” - it was just a convenience, not really necessary.
** altimeter/thermometer watch - after calibrating it on Springer, it stopped working?!?
** a book - too tired in the beginning to read.

In Damascus, I sent my poncho home and opted for an umbrella and a light weight, wind shirt.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Sly
01-07-2007, 13:15
I didn't send anything home and bought a balaclava.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 13:16
I never bought anything major at Neel Gap. Never sent anything home. Spent $ on food and beverage.

MOWGLI
01-07-2007, 13:24
I bought a brand Dana Design new pack (my CampTrails pack was falling apart), a water bag, a ridgerest, and Polar Pure.

I also mailed home 14 pounds of gear including 3 books (a 2 pound philosophy textbook - included) and my water filter. I retrieved my thermarest the next week.

Neels Gap is great! Just try and arrive there better prepared than me. :o

PS: I ate the obligatory Ben & Jerrys!!!

Fannypack
01-07-2007, 13:31
PS: I ate the obligatory Ben & Jerrys!!!
I was such a rookie that I didn't know what Ben & Jerrys was & didn't eat any until Manchester Center (of course this was in 1996, did they sell Ben & Jerrys below the Mason Dixon line back then?)

MOWGLI
01-07-2007, 13:36
did they sell Ben & Jerrys below the Mason Dixon line back then?

I donno. I was (and still am!) a Yankee lving in New Yorkin '96. :sun

bigcranky
01-07-2007, 14:47
In June 03, on a 3-person family section hike, we sent home:

Dragonfly's Swiss Army knife
Several paperback books
My nylon boonie hat
DF's cotton boonie hat (we weren't wearing them)
Lots of prepackaged food that we didn't eat in the first few days
8x10 silnylon tarp -- never used
2 sets of Tevas (heavy)
Lots of other little things I can't remember now. I remember weighing just the gear when we got home, and it was about 8 pounds.

We bought 2 pairs of Waldies as camp shoes. Lilac, the 12-year-old, was getting bad blisters from her big Italian leather boots, but she didn't want to trade in for trail runners (we tried, we tried). Those blisters forced us off the trail at Unicoi Gap, only 20 miles later. We did buy a couple of small first-aid supplies, and a t-shirt or two, which we shipped home.

Nowadays Lilac is wearing Montrail Hardrock trail runners, but she's not into backpacking so much. Oh well.

Spirit Walker
01-07-2007, 14:53
In 1992 Jersey John had a hostel on the trail at Roan Mountain. He used to drive to Nashville to buy B&J for the hikers. I think that was the only Ben & Jerry's I ate south of Manchester Center.

As to Neels Gap - in 1988 there was a full service hostel there. I stayed and ate dinner. In 1992 they no longer served meals but you could still stay there and buy awful microwave pizza. We had a power outage and lost water - so folks were driven to the campground to take showers. I think they stopped having the hostel a couple of years later.

I didn't buy anything or ship anything home there. At only three days into the hike, I still thought I needed everything I carried.

In 1992 I watched someone spend 3 hours going through his pack, carefully considering each and every item. He dropped about 10 lbs there. Someone else decided that his KMart tent wasn't working and dropped a couple hundred dollars for a new one. He was lucky the outfitter was there, but it was an expensive visit.

max patch
01-07-2007, 15:22
What happens at Neels Gap stays at Neels Gap!

max patch
01-07-2007, 15:27
I bought a coke and a candy bar and called home. Then -- like I always do at Neels Gap -- I perused the books. Was there for about half and hour and then moved on.

As far as gear, in Damascus I bought an second Nalgene and mailed my water bag home. That was it in terms of gear changes except I bought an extra shirt in Monson - it was starting to get cold.

Tha Wookie
01-07-2007, 15:40
I hung out with the barefoot sisters there in 2001 before I took off my own shoes and followed..... for about two miles, then they lost me!

The next year I met Gene Autry, aka Crazy #2!

Johnny Swank
01-07-2007, 16:59
Bought a couple of extra Snickers then hauled butt toward Springer. I was freezing my butt off and ready to finish!

Footslogger
01-07-2007, 18:14
[quote=mountain squid;298599]This keeps coming up in other threads. Although, there may not be time for 07 NOBO’s to make adjustments, all the lurkers and future hikers might benefit from others experiences. Please share:

Nothing. It's only 2 -3 days from Springer ??

None

What did you send home?

Nothing

About $25 or so. Hostel fee and some minor re-supply. A few hot meals (a la microwave) and a trip into Blairsville for pizza

===========================

Neels Gap is a great place to pull off and catch your breath. Winton Porter is (owner of the store at Walasi-Yi) is a great guy and the hostel/store is a good place to shake off the first 30 miles and re-supply

'Slogger

Bloodroot
01-07-2007, 19:50
What happened when you made it to Neels Gap? I wiehged my pack and drank a Mountain Dew

What new equipment did you purchase? Alcohol stove, best purchase I made.

What did you send home? Thermals
It might be hard to admit, but how much money did you spend? 20 bucks on junk food and resupply.

If you did make it past Neels Gap unscathed, did you exchange any gear later on? I switched out packs in Damascus and got rid of all my rain gear and pack cover and bought a poncho to cover it all.

rafe
01-07-2007, 20:18
Gave a long sleeve tee to another hiker. Bought a short-sleeve tee. Stayed the night and ate well.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 20:45
walkers plan for years to do this trail. come to websites like this, get all the 'best' info, think they got it dicked, then 30 miles into their trip of a lifetime, drop a thousand bucks for "better gear" then quit a weelk later. hmmm. pain is weakness leaving the body.

handlebar
01-07-2007, 21:40
What new equipment did you purchase? None.
What did you send home? Nothing
It might be hard to admit, but how much money did you spend? About $25 in 06 on food (two hot dogs, a pint of B&J Cherry Garcia,), did my laundry, took a shower, drank a beer at the trail magic underway outside the hostel and hiked on out on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.

Fannypack
01-07-2007, 21:57
In 1998 I met a hiker in VA named StormCloud (call sign in the Seals; retired officer) and he told me that when he got to Neels gap he had a 100 lb pack. At that point, he was known as 100 lb. Rob. He was convinced to get his pack down to about 70 lbs.

I asked him what he was carrying and he commenced to tell me how he had a backup for a backup. Evidentally that is the Navy seals way, i.e., always have a backup pieces of gear.

Great guy, last i heard he was an EMT somewhere in Wyoming. He hiked allot with Canucklehead (from Calgary) & Sunburn (theater guy from England). I saw them all again when they summitted Big K in Sep 98.

jambalaya
01-07-2007, 22:37
30 miles doesn't seem like much after you've done a thru-hike, but at the time... we were glad to see the place. I got rid of a canteen, replacing it with a 2-liter Platypus (which I used the rest of the time, even though I kept having to replace parts). I got rid of my foot powder because my feet were too blistered to use it (had to buy more foot powder later). My husband bought hiking poles (I already had some).

We spent probably $50 on resupply and snacks for two of us, plus $20 for the Platypus, and maybe $100 for the poles.

I saw a few hikers totally re-outfit at Neels Gap, but most only made minor adjustments, I think.

RAT
01-07-2007, 22:57
I remember my first time at Neels Gap all too well. It was many years ago. I started at Springer equipment rich and experience poor and had rain for 2 weeks straight. Our packs were way to heavy to begin with then add the wetness, it took us 4 and a half days to get there (took one whole day off at Gooch) all of which I had no appetite for the too many lbs of food I was carrying and had a food drop waiting on me at Neels !!! I still had all the food I started with ! So I left alot of food there along with a radio and some other nonsense gear I didnt need but that morning on Blood mtn. my appetite kicked in voraciously and I ate two sandwiches and drank two milks in the time it took me to register with Dorothy for the supper and breakfast at the full service hostel that was there then !!! I remember gorging on the spaghetti dinner complete with the gallon of milk I ordered with it and was so full I couldnt move for hours afterwards ! Then there was a big b fast and we were on our way again in the rain. I just dropped off some food and gear and bought the food and lodging and a Tshirt I dont remember how much it all was but have been close friends with Dorothy and her husband ever since. They had the best of gear for sale at good prices considering teh location and was very knowlegable on it and how to drop some lbs off hikers packs. It was my dear friend Sam Waddle who placed the memorial to Dorothy`s father Rex Pulford on the trail just south of Spring Mtn shelter where he fell dead with a heart attack. Neels Gap has always been a great place to me but I miss the previous owners. Same with Rainbow Springs.

Hey Fannypack, are you the same one who used to post on hobocentral way back when ??

RAT

Jester2000
01-07-2007, 22:58
I dropped nothing and bought ice cream and a knee brace. On the other hand, Monsterfrog, whose pack originally weighed 98 pounds, dropped about 50 pounds, including three of the four knives he was carrying. He also bought ice cream.

Funkee Munkee bought ice cream and bummed 3-4 smokes from me. So I suppose he sent home his "plan to quit smoking."

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 23:01
Hey Fannypack, are you the same one who used to post on hobocentral way back when ??

RAT

yup. that be him.:)

RAT
01-07-2007, 23:04
Thanks Wolf, sure is good to see some of the old gang still around ;)
Bout time for the RAT race eh ? HA HA HA !

RAT

River Runner
01-07-2007, 23:07
On my April 2006 section hike from Springer to Unicoi Gap, I bought a toothbrush and a small summer sausage I took on the trail. I also bought a couple of hot dogs and a banana and ate them there, ordered chicken wings from Domino's (group order someone set up) for supper and stayed at one of the cabins (reserved previously with friends).

I sent home mid-weight base layer bottoms and top since it was unseasonably warm then, and some excess dehydrated food.

khaynie
01-08-2007, 07:05
Since we walked SOBO, everything we were hiking with was pretty much dialed in by the time we reached Neels Gap. When we got there in Nov of 05, they had this guy grilling up pork, onions, peppers, sausage ~ ummmm it was delicous. And, we were even able to snag a few cold beers aka units from the grill master...I cannot remember his name. Then we ate our Ben & Jerry's and pushed off.

However, it was a sweet moment hiking down into Neels. Kinda of our last hoorah...before the end. Man, I miss it.

highway
01-08-2007, 09:47
When I arrived end of April, 2004, i sent home:

1) 1 pair low-cut trail runners, Nike Air wallowa. I kept the Teva sandals and continued hiking in them.

2) Extra Platypus. I had a 2 liter platypus hoser and that was more than enough. water was everywhere.

I bought a great T shirt, cotto,. d$*#ed with "same Shirt Different Day" across the front. Still have it but its quite ragged. I have got to replace it

hopefulhiker
01-08-2007, 10:29
I had one of the guys there do a shake down on my stuff..

They were interested in the Luxury lite pack that I had.. I was the first they had seen to hike the trail with one...

I sent home an extra pair of long underwear.

Jim Adams
01-09-2007, 03:06
actually found alot of Ben and Jerry's in 1990. i know i purchased it in Erwin but i think i may have found it in Hot Springs also.
geek

soulrebel
01-09-2007, 04:33
I bought a dehydrated meal then carried it for 400miles before putting it in a hiker box. I shoulda just bought a can of spaghetti-o's--then I might've eaten it!!!

esmithz
01-09-2007, 07:54
Sent home about 3 lb of extra stuff. Pack bonnet, containers, cell phone and charger, reading material, etc. Also sent home my Raichle Nordic boots and bought a pair of Lowa trail runners. I wonder if the boot switchout was the best thing. My Raichle's were heavy but fit my feet perfect. Never a problem with blisters. The Lowa's did not work out. They were too lightweight. By the time I got to Hotsprings my feet were killing me and I switched boots again. My feet never got better. My the time I got to Laural Fork walking was painful.

Pokey2006
01-09-2007, 08:13
Didn't send home anything. Picked up a holder for my water bottle ($10 velcro-type, to put on my hip belt). The one I had was rigged up at home with duct tape, and was already falling apart a few days in.

Later on, in Hot Springs, I think, I picked up a pack cover (for the rain). And my folks sent me a new rain coat when the zipper broke on the one I had. Otherwise, no changes to my gear. I tried a summer sleeping bag I bought in Damascus, but got my own regular down bag back by Pennsylvania.

I also recommend doing the research ahead of time, here especially, but also on other websites, using Backpacker magazine's annual gear review issue, and talking to experienced backpackers. If you thoroughly research your purchases ahead of time, there should be no need to drop unnecessary $$$$s at Neel's Gap. They thrive on a "captive audience."

If you do need to switch out any of your gear, try to wait for Hot Springs, or, even better, Damascus, where you have a choice of outfitters to comparison shop. And make note that in Franklin, N.C., you can hit the major department stores, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc., which is a great way to pick up items you forgot without the major outfitter expense.

Bottom line, get as much of your gear right BEFORE you get to Neel's Gap. Treat it as just a very convenient place to re-supply your food and fuel and grab a shower before hiking on.

mrc237
01-09-2007, 08:34
In Feb 96' swapped out a 20 d. for a 0 d.

bigcranky
01-09-2007, 08:50
I don't see the folks at Neel Gap taking advantage of a 'captive audience' so much as I see them helping hikers go through their packs and eliminate stuff they don't need. I thnk the biggest story there is how many tons of stuff get shipped home. While they do end up selling some gear to replace that heavy stuff, I suspect most of their sales are alcohol stoves and Crocs and that sort of thing -- not too expensive.

There are still plenty of hikers who show up at Springer with 60 pound packs. I've seen them. The simplest way to lighten up that sort of pack is to take out all the unneccessary items -- the laptop computer, the sat phone, the three pairs of jeans, the 5-pound mess kit, the boom box, the Bowie knife, the Costco-size bottles of shampoo and conditioner, the 3-D-cell Mag light, the extra 32-ounce fuel bottle (full, of course), the 100 foot climbing rope, the loaded handgun, etc., etc. If and when said hikers get to Neel Gap, they can -- if they want -- get some help going through their packs and shipping home the excess gear. While the resulting pack may not be light or ultralight by our standards, it's still *waaaaay* lighter than it was. All of this can be done without spending a ton of money on expensive replacement gear. That's the most common story I've heard from hikers who went through the Walasi-yi Center.

While I agree with Pokey that hikers should do plenty of research ahead of time, sometimes that research leads to unfortunate choices.

Finally, the outfitter at Neel Gap is one of the best long-distance hiking outfitters around (along with the others mentioned above). If you can get up there the year before your hike, you can see, touch, smell, and try on lots of specialized clothing and gear that you probably won't find at the local Big Box sporting goods store, or even at most local outfitters.

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 09:45
What happened at Neel's Gap STAYS at Neel's Gap...
:D

Footslogger
01-09-2007, 10:19
What happened at Neel's Gap STAYS at Neel's Gap...
:D

========================================

Well ...almost Jan. You left one of the "Ted Towels" for me (Remember that ??). Carried it all the way to Springer.

'Slogger

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 10:20
========================================

Well ...almost Jan. You left one of the "Ted Towels" for me (Remember that ??). Carried it all the way to Springer.

'Slogger

You're right.
I guess not everything stayed there.
:)

Jester2000
01-14-2007, 15:06
The simplest way to lighten up that sort of pack is to take out all the unneccessary items -- the laptop computer, the sat phone, the three pairs of jeans, the 5-pound mess kit, the boom box. . .

I can't believe you think a boom box is unnecessary.

bigcranky
01-14-2007, 22:18
Funny, I was actually expecting someone to defend carrying a sat phone. The boombox is a new one on me....

:)

Gray Blazer
01-14-2007, 22:46
Walasi-yi is an awesome place in an awesome location. Great place to visit even if not hiking the trail. Wynton is a good salesman. He'll sell you the antique backpacks off the wall. I know, I bought and still use that old school jansport that used to hang there. I used it to replace parts on my sister's backpack that she carried from FL to OR in the 70's.

Pennsylvania Rose
01-15-2007, 12:23
actually found alot of Ben and Jerry's in 1990. i know i purchased it in Erwin but i think i may have found it in Hot Springs also.
geek

They had it at NOC, too. It was the first I ever had.

Lilred
01-15-2007, 16:43
I was doing a section from Springer to Neel's where I hiked with a girl who had some of the worst gear I had seen. She was carrying, for a shelter, a Brazillian hammock, the kind you hang in your backyard, with no tarp. Her sleeping pad was a huge inflatable, 3lbs. She was using a poncho as a pack cover that was not working at all. She had enough powdered drink mix to last her 3 months. No less than a dozen bandana's, etc.

Restless did a shakedown with her and she ended up spending $500 on new gear. Among which was a new hubba tent, new hiking poles, new pack cover and new rain gear. She learned there what a bounce box was and mailed her extra food forward. If I remember correctly, she lightened her load by about 30lbs.

I remember while hiking with her that she never once complained and always had a great attitude, even when she woke up in a rainstorm from her unprotected hammock. I remember peeking out of my tent, which was sitting in an inch of rainwater, at Justus Creek and seeing her just standing there, watching her hammock and pack getting soaked. Still, no complaints. I knew she would make it all the way, and she did.

Lilred
01-15-2007, 16:46
oh, I forgot to mention. They had the ULA P-2 packs there, and they custom fitted one to me. They held on to it for me until I could get home and call them with my credit info. They shipped it out to me in record time. I love that pack!

Glo-Worm
01-18-2007, 13:51

We all realized we had sent ourselves WAY too much food.

Sunscreen. Coffee. Gatorade. More Coffee. Alcohol for my stove.

What did you send home?

Nothing

Not too much. Maybe $10.

Fill your fuel bottle OUTSIDE. Doh.

If you did make it past Neels Gap unscathed, did you exchange any gear later on?

Not too much. I picked up a water bladder in northern VA, really enjoyed not having to stop to drink. Replaced my sleeping bag with a liner in Harpers Ferry. I changed to a thermarest in Kent, when I finally got sick of my 1/2 length chopped down ridgerest.

Glo-Worm
GA=>ME 06

PS Mountain Squid it was nice to run into you again at that hostile in NH.

Rain Man
01-18-2007, 16:09
I remember while hiking with her that she never once complained and always had a great attitude, even when she woke up in a rainstorm from her unprotected hammock. I remember peeking out of my tent, which was sitting in an inch of rainwater, at Justus Creek and seeing her just standing there, watching her hammock and pack getting soaked. Still, no complaints. I knew she would make it all the way, and she did.

I liked reading that story! Thanks for sharing it.

THE Rain:sunMan

GlazeDog
01-20-2007, 19:54
I can't remember that messiah of gear shakedowns name, but he's a wonder worker for a lot of people. Don't be afraid to let him work his magic. I bought a pair of lightweight hiking poles because being a flatlander from Ohio my knees were hurtin'. They saved my hike for many many more miles.
Also a group of us went in on a cabin you can rent down the mountain for $75 or $85 a night as many people as you can pack in. We packed in 7-8 and had the house to ourselves--drove in beer from trailangel, washed clothes, showered. It was great. Recommended--though it will slow you a little. But going easy at the beginning is a pretty good idea.

GlazeDog

p.s. a trail friend got a new pack, new sleeping bag, new shoes, and other misc. after the shakedown

Knees
01-21-2007, 18:49
This is kind of a weird thread, as it's just an outfitter and a hostel. I know they do a lot of business selling people stuff and they have a fairly good selection...

In all reality, anybody who's online and hanging out here already knows about what gear they need and what they don't. More importantly, the trail is 90% mental and only 10% physical.

People hike the whole trail with 20-30 lb packs and people hike it with 50 plus lb packs. Ask any group of hikers what gear is best, and you'll get different responses from all.

With that said:

'05
Spent too much money on overpriced food.
Ate AYCE in town.
Stayed in their cabin.
Watched The Graduate

'06
Ate Dominos and was disappointed that they didn't have a run into town.
Stayed at the hostel.

N/A

What did you send home?
N/A

N/A
I spent the usual ~$1000 when all was said and done to initially gear up. Could I have spent less? Of course. Was I happy with my selections? Yep!

It's only 3-4 days from Springer/Amicalola. There are plenty of other outfitters along the way.

Look at the gear lists of any long distance thru hiker. Weigh your gear. If you are at more than 35-40lbs full weight with food and water, you are going heavy. Make sure you have appropriate clothing for the weather.

No.

fonsie
01-21-2007, 23:05
Ok I am starting my thru hike March 25, but im no newbe on the trail. In the past year I have bouten so much gear, and im always out on the trail. I just recently bout the Vapor trail. My weekand pack is about 15lbs with food and water and my week long weight is 25lbs. I do carry stuff still I don't use. But if I might use on a thru hike. I read that alot of people get blisters. I wear mid weight boots wich break in real quike...

eric_plano
01-21-2007, 23:19
I got a free soda :)

AquaMira

What did you send home?
Nothing

10$ for AquaMira then $ for food

If they order the pulled pork be careful! It definitely hit me the wrong way. Spent the next two hiking days paying for that meal. :o