PDA

View Full Version : section hike

tagalong hiker
01-07-2007, 14:05
planing our section hike for the year and will be doing from Port clinton south to the I/81 interchange in VA. The only thing is we have to start around April 1 in order to be back by memorial day. I was woundering what type of weather to expect. ( yes i know the weather is weird this year, it was 71 here in western ma yesterday) but as a norm,also what type of clothing should we need and will our 20* bags do the trick?

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 14:19
planing our section hike for the year and will be doing from Port clinton south to the I/81 interchange in VA. The only thing is we have to start around April 1 in order to be back by memorial day. I was woundering what type of weather to expect. ( yes i know the weather is weird this year, it was 71 here in western ma yesterday) but as a norm,also what type of clothing should we need and will our 20* bags do the trick?

20* bags will be fine. Might be a little or a lot rainy but temps. should be fairly warm during the day.

Cookerhiker
01-08-2007, 20:29

There are 2 I-81 crossings in Virginia. Which one are you hiking to?

You could have anything in April & May. Some recent years have seen relatively dry Aprils and wet Mays. I did a 4-day section hike in early April between Craig Creek VAlley & Pearisburg and had glorious sunshine but if I had started 2 days earlier, I'd have hiked through rain, wind, and snow. Be prepared for rain and if it doesn't, enjoy! Bring sunscreen because if the sun shines - and you're facing it hiking south - you won't have the leaf canopy until your last 2 weeks.

Temperature-wise, your 20 degree bags should suffice especially since you won't hit 3,000' until about the third week of your hike.

You'll experience a fabulous wildflower display beginning in Shenandoah.

tagalong hiker
01-10-2007, 15:52
cookerhiker we will be going to the troutville intersection. Also i thing i read somewhere that some of the hostles in VA wont be open yet is this true?
thanks all for the help