PDA

View Full Version : Bag Liner?

the_iceman
01-07-2007, 15:00
I have read that a bag liner helps keep the stink out on a thru-hike and is easier to wash. However they all seem to be 6 to 10 oz. or more. Does anyone have a good suggestion for my REI Sub Kilo? Something light that doesn't cost $100?

mountain squid
01-07-2007, 15:10
This is what I have:
http://www.jagbags.co.nz/products.htm

I have the mummy one.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Hana_Hanger
01-07-2007, 15:13
If you are only looking for a liner to keep the bag clear...$5.99 or the one for $7.99 at Campmor is pretty darn cheap.
https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=7640&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

rickb
01-07-2007, 15:26
Had one with special tie-ins and everything.

Damn thing still twisted around in the middle of the night and strangled me better than any python ever could have.

hopefulhiker
01-07-2007, 15:53
I used one made in New Zealand, weighed five oz and cost fifteen dollars, ten to ship.. It worked well. easy to wash, help keep bag warm too, in summer used it by itself...

the_iceman
01-07-2007, 16:07
Rick -

I was worried about that myself. Being all tangled up unable to get out to pee.

Programbo
01-07-2007, 16:35
I have read that a bag liner helps keep the stink out on a thru-hike and is easier to wash. However they all seem to be 6 to 10 oz. or more. Does anyone have a good suggestion for my REI Sub Kilo? Something light that doesn't cost $100?

Just make one from a sheet (If you want a softer cottony feel) or buy a few yards of nylon (Like $4.95 a yard)....You could even add snaps to hold it in place or velcro..Cheap and easy

Tipper
01-07-2007, 18:42
I worried about weight, but ended up very pleased with the silk liner I received as a gift (couldn't very well NOT take it...at least for a while). Kept the down bag clean and sweet smellin'. Easy to wash and pack. I had bought 'silk' polyester at a fabric store to make my own. A bit heavier, but I liked the idea of do-it-yourself (then my wife bought me the gift). As nights got warmer, I used the liner with the bag opened as a quilt on top. I shipped the liner home in summer when I switched to a ultralight synthetic fill bag - easier to wash. I used the fabric and made a cover for my sleeping pad. That way, on REALLY HOT nights, I could sleep comfortable on the pad alone, with the unzipped summer bag as a quilt, if and when temps dropped overnight. I decided to leave the liner at home when I swapped out gear in Glencliffe, NH. Didn't need the weight or added warmth (this was August in the Whites). Also, as I was on the homestretch, I was less concerned about the 'smell' factor. By that time I had learned how to give myself a pretty good field-bath each day to ward off the smellies. Good luck and have a great trip!

Hammock Hanger
01-07-2007, 19:42
I hate bag liners.... when people would rise at the crack of dawn or earlier and start that crinkle crinkle crinkle it drove me nuts... Another reason not to stay in a shelter.

I have never lined my bag and doubt I ever will, just don't get that concept.

I was knocked down and washed down stream in ME and everything was fine in my pack. That is what the sil nylon stuff stacks are for.

Just do not get the garbage bag thing......

Jester2000
01-07-2007, 23:15
I hate bag liners.... when people would rise at the crack of dawn or earlier and start that crinkle crinkle crinkle it drove me nuts... Another reason not to stay in a shelter.

I have never lined my bag and doubt I ever will, just don't get that concept.

I was knocked down and washed down stream in ME and everything was fine in my pack. That is what the sil nylon stuff stacks are for.

Just do not get the garbage bag thing......

Ok, just quickly, here. That crinkle noise is probably from an emergency blanket, not a bag liner. And the kind of bag we're talking about here is sleeping bag, not backpack, so the second part of your comment is a bit comfusing to those of us talking about sleeping bag liners, which I personally don't use, as I like my stank.

Hammock Hanger
01-08-2007, 08:17
Ok, just quickly, here. That crinkle noise is probably from an emergency blanket, not a bag liner. And the kind of bag we're talking about here is sleeping bag, not backpack, so the second part of your comment is a bit comfusing to those of us talking about sleeping bag liners, which I personally don't use, as I like my stank.

Ooops! That would be confusing...

I was talking about those plastic bag liners in backpacks.

I DO use a sleeping bag liner as it keeps my sleeping bag cleaner.

Sorry for any confusion.

esmithz
01-09-2007, 08:03
Good question about the bag liner. I used a silk bag liner and I liked it. Its main purpose was to keep me warmer on extra cold nights, which it did. But I had other gear I could have worn to do the same job. If you want to keep your pack ultra light I'd suggest not using one.

highway
01-09-2007, 08:21
I have used the below two:

Bag Liner, silk, Design Salt, Camouflage w/storage bag 0.27
Bag Liner, silk, Jagbag, Endura w/bottom drawstring 0.28

A silk liner would be lightest for you. It might even be warmer as silk is an amazing, natural fabric.

The design salt, at 4.3 ounces is a little lighter. I believe I was the first to have the jagbag folks in NZ do the drawstring bottom for use with a hammock. I remember having to explain to them what I wanted and it took a phone call to New Zealand to do it. Now they offer it as an option. Anyway, the jagbag is roomier at the foot if that helps.

Pokey2006
01-09-2007, 08:31
If you're worried about the stink, don't be, unless, of course, you are an especially smelly sort of person. If there's any stink, your nose will quickly become accustomed to it, and you won't even notice.

To keep things as clean as possible, you can wash your bag during town stops. Pick up the special down wash at the nearest outfitter, or use Woolite in a pinch. Or, heck, even wash it without any soap at all! To dry, throw two or three tennis balls into the dryer (to break up the down clumps) and put the setting on medium or low. Get the tennis balls at the local Wal-Mart or wherever. In a pinch, throw your camp shoes in the dryer instead.

In between town stops, you can easily air out the bag for a few minutes here and there in camp.

Finally, let me commend you on your sleeping bag choice. I had an REI sub-kilo myself, and I LOVE this bag! My absolute favorite piece of equipment. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine.

SalParadise
01-09-2007, 11:30
only my family thought my gear (and me) stank. I didn't notice a thing.

mountain squid
01-09-2007, 13:59
If you do wash a down sleeping bag while on the trail, be aware that it takes a very long time to dry. 2 or 3 cycles probably. And, it still might not be completely dry...Those clumps of down take forever to break apart and dry...Make sure you start early in the day and pay attention to the hours of operation at the laundromat...

A liner is definitely easier to wash. As to getting tangled, I've never had that problem.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Hammock Hanger
01-09-2007, 15:10
Just an added footnote:

It is not always about the stink. (I never smell other hikers or myself for that matter.)

Body oils can shorten the life of a down bag, washing can shorten the life of a down bag.

Easiest solution is to keep it as clean as possible. I would doubt I would ever wash my down along the trail. I have a process and it is time consuming but it is better for the bag.

Airing it out everyday and lofting it is a good practice.

Boat Drinks
01-09-2007, 15:34
Dupont (http://http//www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&catalogId=40000008000&storeId=8000&partNumb) Sea To Summit Reactor Thermolite Mummy Bag Liner
Introducing the Reactor® Thermolite Mummy Liner--the first to use Thermolite® from Dupont. weighs 8.1 oz.

Happy
01-09-2007, 23:07
This is what I have:
http://www.jagbags.co.nz/products.htm

I have the mummy one.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Highly recommend this option at 4.7 oz!!! Great as a summer bag also!!!

English Stu
01-10-2007, 08:31
A Mummy silk liner is the way to go, one with a hood helps with the odd fly and is warmer.

Swass
01-21-2007, 13:44
The ones on that jagbags site are almost exactly like the one I in Vietnam for hostels! And here I was thinking I would have to get a fancy schmancy one from REI for $50 or more.

So those of you who use liners, you pretty much never ever have to wash your down bags on the trail? I mean, during any laundry stops?

Johnny Swank
01-21-2007, 13:58
I don't know of many people that wash their bags on the trail, liners or not. Regardless, washing a sleeping bag isn't rocket science, it just takes some time and a small modicum of attention.

the_iceman
01-21-2007, 15:37
I wound up getting a silk sea-to-summit for 50% off at an EMS store closing.

Thanks for all the input.

Swass
01-22-2007, 17:57
I don't know of many people that wash their bags on the trail, liners or not. Regardless, washing a sleeping bag isn't rocket science, it just takes some time and a small modicum of attention.

That's asking a lot from some of us;)

Footslogger
01-22-2007, 18:03

==============================

Excellent point. I know of a hiker who attempted it and didn't have access to the correct type of equipment or enough time to do the job correctly. She ended up with a pertex shell full of down clumps.

Not saying a down bag couldn't be washed along the trail but you need a large capacity front loading washer and a huge dryer with some tennis balls to break up the down as it dries (slowly !!)

'Slogger

saimyoji
01-22-2007, 18:18
That's asking a lot from some of us;)

What was the question again? :-?

hammock engineer
01-23-2007, 00:28
Hana Hanger post this over on hammock forums. It is a bag liner that doubles as a jacket, or vise versa.

Here is the link.

http://www.bodibag.com/

Here is the thread where we are talking about it. Should be a fairly easy DIY project if that is your thing. Some talk on this too.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=481