PDA

View Full Version : Gone By Train

partinj
01-07-2007, 21:07
Ok here is a Question for ever one who has took a train to Gainesville.
have you carry your pack on board or put in the baggage car.The reason i aking is my pack is over the size limit it is 36x22x5. I hear if you carry it on board it has to fit in the rack over head.I do know that gainesville is just a drop offpoint their is no one to get your pack out of the baggage car ant ideal on this :confused:

THANK

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 21:13
Between 1986 and 2000 I rode Amtrak From R.I. to Gainesville 10 times. Never checked it as baggage. Always carry on. Half of those times I was in a single slumber compartment. Since 9/11 things have changed. Call AMTRAK and ask.

Sly
01-07-2007, 21:16
In 2002 I walked on a train in MT with my pack, no problems...

Johnny Swank
01-07-2007, 21:28
I just took the train back from Pennsylvania. Carried on a Mountainsmith Ghost and Timbuk 2 bag. No questions asked.

For that matter, the only thing I've ever checked on Amtrak was a bike. As long as your pack isn't too obnoxious, the Amtrak folks seem to just let you carry whatever on.

iamscottym
01-08-2007, 21:14
I've taken Amtrak from DC to Chicago, and Chicago to Indianapolis. I carry on a large duffel and a 5500cu in backpack, and I've never had a problem.

mrc237
01-08-2007, 23:31
I recently took Amtrak from NYC to DC and checked my pack. If you are planning to carry fuel with you check your pack. The likelyhood of being stopped and having your pack searched is remote but possible. When and if you do check with the handler or ticket agent as to the availability of baggage handlers in Gainsville.

Skyline
01-09-2007, 00:09
Before 9/11 you definitely would have had no problem carrying a backpack. Today, there are some security measures being employed at major stations, sometimes on-board, and with track/equipment inspections along the way.

Backpacks and typical hiker contents are not banned today, but there is some minor possibility you might have your gear searched. Just cooperate, and if some item raises the ire of an inspector it will most likely be something that could be flammable. In that case you might have to give up that item and replace it in Georgia.

As for fitting your pack in overhead racks, the Crescent (train that stops in Gainesville) has additional shelving on board where you can store your pack if it doesn't fit. You don't have to check it as baggage (where it would be stored in a baggage car or in a baggage compartment under the passenger compartments), but you can carry it on board. The location of these shelves, however, makes it problematic to keep an eye on your pack. IMHO this might be yet another reason to downsize both your pack volume and pack weight so it will fit in an overhead rack near your seat. :-)

Sly
01-09-2007, 01:52
If you're really worried about it, you could ship your pack via UPS to the Hiker Hostel and have them pick you up at the train station...