PDA

View Full Version : Review my gear please

VictoriaM
01-07-2007, 22:07
I'm putting this hear because I'm including everything I'll be carrying, right down to the toilet paper. Please let me know what's missing or what's too much:

Pack – Gregory Tega (2lb 13oz, 2750ci)
Sleeping Bag – Marmot Pounder+(1lb 15oz)
Tent – Eureka Spitfire (2lb 12oz)
Stove – Pepsi can
Fuel Bottle (juice bottle)
Water Filter – Miniworks EX (1lb 3oz)
Coffee Filter
Sleeping Bag Liner – silk (4.7oz)
Leki Poles
Water Bladder
Thermal Pants (camp)
Thermal Shirt (camp)
Winter Tights
Long-sleeved Shirt
Jacket (fleece lined water-resistant shell)
Winter Hat
Mittens
Socks (3 pairs)
Sock Liners (2 pairs)
Poncho (doubles as pack cover)
Skirt
Waterproof rain/Sun Hat
Shoes – NB trail runners
Head Lamp – petzl tikka plus
Sink (bottom of milk jug)
Towel – microfiber car cloth
Bandana
Baking Soda
Toothbrush
Razor
Nail Clippers
TP
Hair Bands
Vitamins
Glucosamine
Tylenol
First Aid Kit
Tick Off
Bug Spray
Sun Screen
Knife - tiny swiff army knife w/ scissors
Duct Tape
Compass
The Companion
Stationary
Envelopes
Pen
iPod & case
Camera
Pot – small titanium pot
Cup – small plastic measuring cup
Titanium Spork
Ursack
License
ATM Card
$1 in Change
$50 Cash

maxNcathy
01-07-2007, 22:13
What day are you heading north?
sleeping pad?

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 22:16
nothing is missing and nothing is too much. how could a stranger know? go with what you got. add and subtract as you go. it's really that simple.

maxNcathy
01-07-2007, 22:17
What day are you heading north?
sleeping pad?

soap, aqua mira, chapstick, tampons,whistle

maxNcathy
01-07-2007, 22:21
soap, aqua mira, chapstick, tampons,whistle

ear plugs, lighter/matches, sunglasses, sleeping pills, knee brace

Jester2000
01-07-2007, 22:28
VictoriaM --

Regarding your list: have you weighed everything together (including food) to get an idea of how heavy it all is or even if it all fits in your pack?

You're going to get A LOT of advice from people on this thread regarding your list. Try to ignore the people who want to argue you into carrying THEIR gear instead of yours (this happens quite a bit with tarp & hammock folk, although they can be worth listening to if you're into that).

I highly recommend reading Rock's series of articles on this site regarding gear. I particularly like how he splits his gear into different categories and deals with them individually.

But now one or two pointers from me:
I generally tell people to bring everything they think they'll need, as long as the weight isn't crippling. You can always get rid of things early on that you discover you don't need. I, for example, wouldn't carry the sink, as you'll probably eat from your pot (which you don't need a sink to clean), and wash other things using the pot. You'll probably discover you don't need the towel or even the compass. But you may be more comfortable having both.

The one important place you can save weight (and space) is your clothing. On an AT thru you'll probably carry extra warm clothing that you'll send home after Mt. Rodgers and get back around Hanover. Same with the liner. I think you'll find that you need less clothing, generally, than you think.

Your list is a good start, I think Add a pack cover, liner, and ziplocks, as things do get wet out there. And stay tuned for everyone else's additions and subtractions. . .

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 22:32
nothing is missing and nothing is too much. how could a stranger know? go with what you got. add and subtract as you go. it's really that simple.

if you never posted your list you were gonna hit the trail with what you have. do that and you'll be fine.

rafe
01-07-2007, 22:33
Victoria... it seems like a complete list. So what does it weigh, all told?

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 22:34
Victoria... it seems like a complete list. So what does it weigh, all told?

what doesn't matter.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 22:34
what doesn't matter.

i mean weight.

VictoriaM
01-07-2007, 22:35
I forgot to list a few things that I'm already planning to use.

Pack liner - large garbage bag
Ear plugs
Chapstick
Baking soda (for teeth and all washing)
Matches
Sleeping pad - 3/4 Zrest
Sunglasses and case

I'm starting March 4th, heading north. My pack weight with everything including food, but no water (my hydration bag is 2 liters) weighs 22.4 pounds.

rafe
01-07-2007, 22:41
I'm starting March 4th, heading north. My pack weight with everything including food, but no water (my hydration bag is 2 liters) weighs 22.4 pounds.

That's excellent, given the early start. You'll be fine.

Skidsteer
01-07-2007, 22:44
Take a lighter(in addition to the matches).

And have fun. :)

Michele
01-07-2007, 22:48
Just throwing out things I've seen on other people's list, but not necessarily required:

Camp shoes
Does a ursack have additional line for hanging?
Hand sanitizer
Maps (if you're taking them)
Watch

The good thing is no matter if you forgot something or have too much, Neel's Gap is only 30 miles away. I'm sure I'll be unloading stuff there too! See you out there! :)

rafe
01-07-2007, 22:52
Sleeping pad?

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 22:53
Sleeping pad?

post #12 slick

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 22:56
Sleeping pad?

if you don't stay in shelters you don't need one.

maxNcathy
01-07-2007, 22:57
Test your sleeping bag and liner in cold temps before you go.
I will need a warmer bag for myself than you plan to take.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 22:57
Sleeping pad?

if you don't stay in shelters you don't need one. mama earth provides one.

rickb
01-07-2007, 23:03
Mother earth can be a cold mistress.

VictoriaM
01-07-2007, 23:06
I've had my bag and liner out one night that fell below freezing. It worked pretty well, and will be better when I'm in my tent rather than a shelter. I'll be doing two more overnights before March, but the way the weather has been I doubt I'll get another below freezing night.

I do need a sleeping pad, unfortunately, because of my joint issues. I won't be able to sleep without one, even on nice soft dirt and leaves.

I have some line (Kelty Triptease Lightline) but am debating on bringing it. For camp shoes I'll probably bring the lightest pair of flip-flops I can find. Or not bring camp shoes. On my couple of overnights, I have just slipped my unlaced trail shoes back on if I need to walk around much, and otherwise gone barefoot.

Johnny Swank
01-07-2007, 23:15
I'd bring 25' or so of the Triptease for a clothesline or bearbag, and maybe a fleece liner till you get to Damacus. You'll figure it out soon enough, and you're already ahead of where most folks are when they start. You can always pick up some flipflops somewhere down the road, so I'd go without until you decide you have to have them. Campshoes are nice to have, but you might not get a whole lot of use out of them till the weather warms up.

Appalachian Tater
01-07-2007, 23:43
More money and a credit card. $50 isn't a trip into town.

4eyedbuzzard
01-07-2007, 23:43
Tylenols okay, but isn't an anti-inflammatory. Ibuprofen or Aleve might be a good addition or substitute.

I would never travel with just a single ATM card and $50 cash. I'd also bring a second (and third)credit card and/or some travellers checks. If the magnetic strip on your ATM card is damaged, or the card cracks, or if there is a banking or computer problem, you're SOL. At minimum, take $300 in travellers checks and get a duplicate - not replacement, ATM card. Also, I try to never use ATM's that charge a fee. Many food stores, and Wal-Mart's etc will give you $60 to $100 cash back even on a one dollar purchase. Check to make sure your driver license doesn't expire during your hike. Homeland Security is a real pain on expired ID if you have to travel by air for an emergency. Also bring your health ins ID if applicable.

River Runner
01-08-2007, 01:24
Is the fleece lined shell insulated? If not, with a March start, you might want an insulated jacket instead, or an insulated vest that you could use under the shell jacket and send home later.

River Runner
01-08-2007, 01:43
Considering the early start, you might also want a pair of rain chaps to go with the poncho, or even consider switching out to a jacket and rain pants for the earlier part of your hike when cold, windy rain storms might be expected.

bfitz
01-08-2007, 01:54
22 lbs for all that? Good job!

Alligator
01-08-2007, 02:43
Treat yourself to a little tube of toothpaste:) .

Pokey2006
01-08-2007, 04:06
A very well-thought-out list. Just a couple of thoughts:

It might work best to have separate fleece and rain jacket, rather than two in one. Layering, layering, layering. And you might need another layer for warmth, either a wool sweater or a down jacket. Especially with your early start date.

Lose the envelopes. You can get envelopes at the post office, if not from a hostel or motel in town. Ask at the post office if they have the envelopes with the stamp already on them, that way, no need to buy and carry stamps separately. Plus, I would imagine envelopes wouldn't keep well on the trail.

Lose the "sink." You won't need it. Use your cooking pot for anything you'd need a "sink" for (such as a sponge bath).

Definitely bring some rope. There will be times when you camp away from the shelters, and you'll want to hang your food.

Lose the bug spray. Bugs won't be a real problem until summertime. Sunscreen is also iffy, since I can't imagine you'll be showing much skin in early March. However, in April last year we had temps in the 70s, and there were a lot of burns out there due to the warm weather and the lack of tree cover. So do bring it if you are sunburn-prone, but only bring a small, small bottle, or, even better, one-use packets. Remember, you are never far from a store, so you can always pick up things like that you need at the next town stop.

Good luck! You're off to a good start, from what I can tell.

hopefulhiker
01-08-2007, 09:13
Are you hiking the AT?
You really don't need the URsack, that's a bear bag right?.. You can just use a silnylon food bag.... If you are hiking the PCT, I think it's a requirement....

Dancer
01-08-2007, 12:42
Get a pair of Crocs or Croc knock offs. Lightweight and you can wear them around camp with a couple of pairs of socks if it's cold. You'll want some kind of shoe backup.

fonsie
01-08-2007, 13:05
cool on everything but 2 things....the spitfire tent, its only 26 inches tall...and that pepsi alcohull stove...I tried that before but its to bulky and you still need to prop it above the stove...I got the Vargo titanium stove and its small 1/2 ounce and I can use alcohull tablets also. I'll be a week behind you on the trail. Im starting my thru hike on march 11. Good luck:banana

mountain squid
01-08-2007, 13:17
I'd bring 25' or so of the Triptease for a clothesline or bearbag
Triptease is very thin. With the weight of food it might cut into the tree as you pull it up. Possible that overnight it might get stuck. Suggest use 50' (25' might not be enough) of parachute cord instead.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

QHShowoman
01-08-2007, 13:22
cool on everything but 2 things....the spitfire tent, its only 26 inches tall...and that pepsi alcohull stove...I tried that before but its to bulky and you still need to prop it above the stove...I got the Vargo titanium stove and its small 1/2 ounce and I can use alcohull tablets also. I'll be a week behind you on the trail. Im starting my thru hike on march 11. Good luck:banana

The Eureka Spitfire is a little over three feet at its peak (3'4" as advertised on Campmor) and the Vargo Titanium stove is essentially a modified pepsi can stove design with built-in pot stabilizers. Both stoves weigh about the same and pack down to relatively the same size.

Pepsi Can Stove (http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=3_39_40&products_id=55)
Eureka Spitfire (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39168734)

rafe
01-08-2007, 13:29
The Eureka Spitfire is a little over three feet at its peak (3'4" as advertised on Campmor) and the Vargo Titanium stove is essentially a modified pepsi can stove design with built-in pot stabilizers. Both stoves weigh about the same and pack down to relatively the same size.

As a long-time fan of Eureka tents I just have to say... compared to my ancient (and trusty) Eureka Gossamer, the TarpTent rainbow blows it away for floor space, headroom, and low weight. Palatial is the word that comes to mind. :)

VictoriaM
01-08-2007, 13:44
The Ursack doesn't have to be bear-bagged. It can be tied to the base of a tree with its own cord. My main reasoning for it has nothing to do with bears, either. The material is mouse-proof.

I'm at the end of my budget for gear, so there probably won't be any changes in the big things at this point. I'm thinking about changing my filter to something less bulky (I can't use Aqua Mira or anything of that sort, it has to be a filter) but haven't decided for sure yet.

Good idea about the pre-stamped envelopes. I use them all the time at home, so I don't know why I didn't think of that.

My issue with rain gear is that it's huge! I do have rain pants, but The Little Pack That Could is already stuffed near to bursting, so I had to pick one or the other. The poncho won. If anyone knows of good, light, small, cheap rain pants and poncho that would be better than what I have, please let me know!

Big Dawg
01-08-2007, 13:46
My pack weight with everything including food, but no water (my hydration bag is 2 liters) weighs 22.4 pounds.

How many days of food does that weight include?

QHShowoman
01-08-2007, 13:48
As a long-time fan of Eureka tents I just have to say... compared to my ancient (and trusty) Eureka Gossamer, the TarpTent rainbow blows it away for floor space, headroom, and low weight. Palatial is the word that comes to mind. :)

You don't have to convince me -- I myself, own a TarpTent Cloudburst. Yep, that would be a 2-person tent just for lil' ol' me.

VictoriaM
01-08-2007, 13:57
How many days of food does that weight include?

I weighed it with 5 days of food. Of course, the amount I'll be carrying will vary, some of my drops are farther apart than others.

rafe
01-08-2007, 14:22
I weighed it with 5 days of food. Of course, the amount I'll be carrying will vary, some of my drops are farther apart than others.

What are your assuming or planning for "pounds of food per day?" Just curious. There's more than one of us surprised that your list weighs only 22 lbs (including food.) More power to you if it really does.

Dancer
01-08-2007, 14:35
Victoria,

If you purchased a first aid kit you may want to check the quantity of bandaids and also how much neosporin type stuff you have. Add some bigger (knee cap sized) bandaids and knuckle bandaids. Those are the things that you will actually use in the kit and the quanities on a prefab kit are usually skimpy. Also I don't think you had a sewing kit on the list and you can get tiny ones that will be quite handy if your clothes start coming apart. Good luck, you seem very determined to start out right. That's a sure sign that your chances are good to finish. You go girl.

VictoriaM
01-08-2007, 14:43
I know, I know. It really is only 22 pounds. My food probably isn'y as much as what most people would brng, because I just don't run on as much food as most people. Here's what I'll be bringing for the first five days, to give you an idea:

Breakfast
2 bags if mini-muffins
1 package of pre-cooked bacon
2 instant oatmeals (double portions)
1 instant cream of wheat (double)
10 bags of tea

Lunch
2 boxes flavored cous-cous
2 5oz packages flavored tuna
2 single-serving cups of peanut butter
Honey bear (should last at least a month)
6 slices bread

Dinner
5 Lipton sides, or other sort of instant pasta/rice

Snacks
2 Luna bars
1 Snickers
Block of cheese
Quart freezer bag of cookies

I didn't plan pounds per day, rather going by calories per day. I nearly tripled my usual daily intake.

VictoriaM
01-08-2007, 14:47
Victoria,

If you purchased a first aid kit you may want to check the quantity of bandaids and also how much neosporin type stuff you have. Add some bigger (knee cap sized) bandaids and knuckle bandaids. Those are the things that you will actually use in the kit and the quanities on a prefab kit are usually skimpy. Also I don't think you had a sewing kit on the list and you can get tiny ones that will be quite handy if your clothes start coming apart. Good luck, you seem very determined to start out right. That's a sure sign that your chances are good to finish. You go girl.

I don't have a sewing kit, but will probably add a needle, now that I've been reminded. I have already packed floss. I made my own first aid kit, based on my first aid/CNA experience. Basically, it's a few band-aids, some tape, blister patches, antibiotic cream, a little gauze, and a small bottle of rubbing alcohol. It's smaller than a mens wallet.

rafe
01-08-2007, 14:49
I didn't plan pounds per day, rather going by calories per day. I nearly tripled my usual daily intake.

The stress on your back and shoulders will relate to pounds and ounces... not calories. I was just trying to figure out what portion of the 22 lbs was going towards food, and how many days' food that was. Most folks figure 1.5 to 2 lbs. per day. In any case, I'm not worried for you... you'll be fine.

the_iceman
01-08-2007, 15:12
Victoria -

When is you first resupply point? A lot of people actually have suppressed appetites for the first few days. You may want to pack a little extra just in case and you can always increase your food a Neel’s Gap. Are you doing mail drops or buy on the fly?

VictoriaM
01-08-2007, 15:51
Victoria -

When is you first resupply point? A lot of people actually have suppressed appetites for the first few days. You may want to pack a little extra just in case and you can always increase your food a Neel’s Gap. Are you doing mail drops or buy on the fly?

Both. I'm doing half mail drops to help my husband stay involved with my hike, and half shopping along the way for convenience. Neel's is my first mail drop. Yes, I'll be going that slow at first. :o

the_iceman
01-08-2007, 16:09
I am doing the same thing. Mostly buying. I get a chance to resupply form the car at Neel's Gap when my wife picks up our daughter. (and maybe send stuff back) Then a small mail drop to NOC and then again at Fontana since they both have limited resupply. I have not looked beyond that yet. Still working on it.

TurkeyBacon
01-09-2007, 13:27
the list looks great, but... the Ursak. NOTHING is mouse proof. They are smarter than you, they have to be, its what they do for a living. On the entire hike, I got food broken into twice. Once was on a bear pole in Shenadoa and they took the peanuts out of my GORP. The second was 800 miles north and hanging from a low lying tree and they used the same hole that was created by the first mouse and they took peanuts from my GORP. They both could have been squirrels. My point is don't worry that much about mice. Save some weight and use a normal stuff sack... or not.
TB

hopefulhiker
01-10-2007, 10:50
I liked the Frog Togg rain gear. I just used the jacket though.. It is relatively inexpensive... really light and effective though... Lot of people used the Frog Toggs...

maxNcathy
01-10-2007, 11:49
You will probably be coLDDDD in a 40F sleeping bag unless you have down-filled long underwear and socks.
PS I enjoyed reading your journal....get your new guy geared up to go with you because you will miss each other tooooooo much if you are not together much of the time.
my 2 cents

Max/Sandalwood

mountain squid
01-10-2007, 12:24
A couple of thoughts on your food:

tea bags - then why do you need a coffee filter:confused:
bread has a tendency to get squished - consider some tortillas
2 Luna bars and 1 Snickers - is that enough for 5 days?
quart bag of cookies might be a little bulky - consider some individual pkgs - those Grandma's cookies (2/pkg) pack alot of calories and are very good.

Looking over your original list, noticed the Tick Off and the bug spray. You won't need that until later. Not too many bugs out in the cold...Good call on the sun screen. Many don't consider that there are no leaves on the trees early in the Spring. You will be in the sun all day long...

How many ounces does your fuel bottle hold? I carry a 20oz soda bottle and have never run out (came close a few times though). It looks like you have alot of meals requiring hot water.

Since your knife has scissore, leave the clippers at home. Does your knife also have tweezers? You will need them during the summer for pulling out ticks.

You won't need the compass (without a map, a compass isn't much good, anyway) - follow the blazes.

Are you carrying the entire Companion or just a section at a time?

How about a whistle?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

rafe
01-10-2007, 12:34
You won't need the compass (without a map, a compass isn't much good, anyway) - follow the blazes.

A compass needn't weigh more than a fraction of an ounce. I'd never go deep in backcountry without one. It can be useful even without a map. Deep in the woods on a cloudy day, you may have nothing else to give a sense of direction. I've never really needed a compass on the A.T. There are several items that I carry and hope not to need.

QHShowoman
01-10-2007, 12:52
You will probably be coLDDDD in a 40F sleeping bag unless you have down-filled long underwear and socks.

Victoria-

Is your bag the 40 degree pounder+ or the 25 degree pounder+? If it's the former, I too, would be concerned you'd freeze your butt off!

QHShowoman
01-10-2007, 12:54
tea bags - then why do you need a coffee filter:confused:

Perhaps she's using it as a pre-filter for her water filter?

John B
01-10-2007, 13:01
I think that your gear list looks great. It's obvious that you've thought it out and made well-informed decisions.

The Ursack caught my attention. Despite standard precautions, I've lost food to mice several times and considered an Ursack. The company website says, though, that it is not guaranteed against mice. To quote, "...rodents have varying degrees of success. Sometimes mice can chew very small holes, but very little of your food is likely to be taken."

Because I'd be one of those to lose the battle against mice even with an Ursack, I decided to save the 6 oz. and hang my food further away and higher...

Just something for you to consider, but your gear list is a good one.

VictoriaM
01-10-2007, 14:26
My bag is the 25 degree, and my liner adds at least five degrees or so (it claims 9, but I don't think it's really that much.

The coffee filter is to pre-filter my water.

I'll be taking the Companion piece by piece, having chunks dropped to me as I go along.

The knife has no tweezers, that's what the Tick Off is for. It's not a repellent, it's a little plastic thing specially designed to pull out ticks, head and all. I trust it more than tweezers (less backflow too, so less risk of disease).

As I said, I know my food seems like much less than I should need. I know it might turn out that I do need more, and in that case I can always buy extra along the way. Normally I eat one snack and one small meal a day, so the amount I'm bringing for the hike is a lot for me. More than a lot.

Thanks for both the advice and the praise of my list. It's nice to know I'm not far off the mark, especially since I can't really afford to change much at this point.

Ewker
01-10-2007, 14:38
As I said, I know my food seems like much less than I should need. I know it might turn out that I do need more, and in that case I can always buy extra along the way. Normally I eat one snack and one small meal a day, so the amount I'm bringing for the hike is a lot for me. More than a lot.

yes but in your normal day do you burn as many calories as you will on the trail.

VictoriaM
01-10-2007, 14:43
yes but in your normal day do you burn as many calories as you will on the trail.

I'm a dancer, so I'm pretty active as a rule. I just don't seem to need as much food as most people. What I've planned in my drops is about triple the number of calories I eat on a normal day at home.

Appalachian Tater
01-10-2007, 20:52
You'll likely be hungrier than normal but not insatiably ravenous the first week, anyway. You're starting out with plenty of food. A few people even had reduced appetite the first few days.

bfitz
01-11-2007, 05:27
I didn't really notice much change at all in my eating. I probably ate less. Powdered gatorade in my water might made for additional calories, though...I pay pretty close attention to food and such, since I'm diabetic. Even on big days I doubt my caloric intake was ever more than twice the usual average. All the talk of 6000 calories a day is way exaggerated in my opinion. Not that you're not hungry for good food when you get to town.

Jaybird
01-11-2007, 07:21
U can get all that stuff in a Gregory Tega pack?

WOW!

Good luck w/ yer hike...

when you pass me & "Jigsaw" in Central VA Apr 25-May 6th say "howdy!":D

Frog
01-11-2007, 07:30
I would not tote my fuel in a plastic bottle.

rafe
01-11-2007, 09:44
I would not tote my fuel in a plastic bottle.

Plastic is fine for toting alcohol. Wouldn't work for white gas.