PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice sleeps in tents

Blissful
01-08-2007, 00:26
Okay, normally I don't watch this stuff, but getting over a bad respiratory thing - I sat and watched the Apprentice tonight. Boy did I get a kick out of watching these people whine about having to stay in tents. It was pretty funny actually. But here they had sinks, showers, nice chairs to sit in, cots, but they were like - "poor me" no ac, having it eat hamburgers off paper plates, etc. Made me so glad I am who I am and love roughing it (though on occasion I do like at least a real bed and a shower when I've been out there a while! But gee, these people had showers and cots!).
All I could think of - boy they had a nice view, and in the evening of the lights.

Cuffs
01-08-2007, 12:39
I heard the previews for that new run... felt kind of insulted that it was a "punishment" to sleep in a tent, when we all keep looking for the next opportunity to get out in ours!!

Lion King
01-08-2007, 12:43
At first I thought ..."How the hell did Donald Trump get Packrat to let them use HIKERS WELCOME for a TV show???

Then I saw they were all a bunch of babies.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-08-2007, 12:44
I soooooo want to see Paris Hilton, Britney Speers (who is required to be wearing undies), JaLo and Celine Dion have to share a large tent for several days........... now that would be funny.

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 12:48
I thought they were just so stupid that they couldn't run a car-wash. Any High School group that needs to raise money could have taught them a thing or two.

And The Donald saying at the end that it was hard to choose who to fire? EXCUSE ME? They were both idiots. Both of them. Fire them both. No hard choice at all.

This is the first time I have watched since the first round...what three years ago. It's still kind of like a Deer in the Headlights thing. Ughh...I hate myself for watching the whole thing. Where's my Alka Seltzer?

Dawg

MOWGLI
01-08-2007, 12:54
Donald Trump. One of perhaps only two things I don't miss about New York.

They can keep the corporate world. Been there - done that.

Sleepy the Arab
01-08-2007, 13:03
How is sleeping in a tent punishment? I don't get it. Your world confuses and frightens me.

Mags
01-08-2007, 13:04
Well, don't trust what you see on "reality TV" anyway.

They edit the responses to make people look dumber and/or create more drama, there are often stage sets, and in the case of the "Apprentice", in the credits of the show, it mentions how the PRODUCERS (not Donald and his "advisers") are ultimately responsible for picking out who wins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_television#Analysis_and_criticism
http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/industry_news/2005_Oct_24_radar_editors
http://www.radarmagazine.com/magazine/table-of-contents.php

Yet another reason why I only use a TV for DVDs. :)

maxNcathy
01-08-2007, 13:16
I was hiking the PCT trail near dusk and I met Nicole Ritchie. I stopped to chat with her. She was hungry so i gave her half my Snickers bar. She said her tent got ripped and her sleeping bag was wet. She begged me to sleep in my tent with me. i agreed as I had a WM badger bag that was big enough to keep us both warm and cosy...........That damn alarm clock!!

Sandalwood

MOWGLI
01-08-2007, 13:25
...it mentions how the PRODUCERS (not Donald and his "advisers") are ultimately responsible for picking out who wins.

A neutered Donald Trump! :banana

That smell over Manhattan this morning? I think it was the remnants from The Donald/Rosie feud. They both stink! ;)

Max Power
01-08-2007, 13:33
It was funny/sad when one of the contestants referred to her living conditions in the tent as "third world."

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 13:40
Not being awful, but I bet there are a few in the "third world" that would kill for a tent that nice.

Dawg :banana

It was funny/sad when one of the contestants referred to her living conditions in the tent as "third world."

max patch
01-08-2007, 13:57
Me thinks thou doest protest too much.

The losers lived in tents - in the back yard - in the summertime in LA. They had no indoor plumbing or other amenities.

The winners lived in a mansion with central air and a swimming pool.

Given a choice I bet everyone here would have chosen the mansion.

Disagree?

Then why do most hikers choose to stay at a hostel when arriving in town?

Lone Wolf
01-08-2007, 14:07

Or a dirty square box in the woods when there's 1000s of acres around them to camp?

SalParadise
01-08-2007, 14:13

a little different, I think. the people on the Apprentice at least have a chance to shower more than once a week and get to eat more than Liptons. for me and I think a lot of people, the hostels were a chance to call family, clean up and especially sit down to laugh with hiker friends, and not nearly as much about the return to luxury living. Proof is that most hikers are generally in a rush to leave Gatlinburg.

About Paris, though (from Frolicking Dinosaurs), I think she's a lot smarter than she lets on. I've seen some interveiws before and she openly admitted that she messed up those "everyday" scenarios on purpose because she knew that it's what viewers tuned in to see, and that simply doing her job at whatever place would never be interesting TV. And as much as she doesn't fit in to our world, there's no way any of us would ever fit into hers (sorry, I think this last paragraph is off topic).

SalParadise
01-08-2007, 14:19
when I saw that commercial that the contestants had to live in tents, I wondered if I was on the show, if I'd be allowed to bring my own. Maybe I'd even feel like hanging a bear bag from a lamppost just for fun.

how about a show about celebrities who are thru-hiking? 10 pseudo-celebrities, each followed by a cameraman, hike the AT, and the first one to summit Katahdin gets $100.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-08-2007, 15:16
SalParadise, I know Paris Hilton is smart -- and plays the dumb blonde a lot. She and the others mentioned are all high-maintenance and that - not their intelligence level - is what would make the show funny.

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 15:31
To paraphrase...dumb like a fox. She gets paid a million a pop to attend the events she is photographed at.

Dawg :banana

SalParadise, I know Paris Hilton is smart -- and plays the dumb blonde a lot. She and the others mentioned are all high-maintenance and that - not their intelligence level - is what would make the show funny.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-08-2007, 15:40
Here is an even better Reality show - we send LW, Pirate, Dirt-Nap and Jack to live at a posh spa for a week... mudpacks, cucumber astringents, lavender soaks... :D

saimyoji
01-08-2007, 15:53
Here is an even better Reality show - we send LW, Pirate, Dirt-Nap and Jack to live at a posh spa for a week... mudpacks, cucumber astringents, lavender soaks... :D

With no alcohol, no smokage, and no red meat. :eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-08-2007, 16:15
Organic veggie diet, purified water only to drink and no smokage of any kind... an hour of stretching and yoga before breakfast...

Newb
01-08-2007, 16:16
how about a show about celebrities who are thru-hiking? 10 pseudo-celebrities, each followed by a cameraman, hike the AT, and the first one to summit Katahdin gets $100.

Several years ago I actually registered several versions of that theme with the writer's guild of America...just in case...