PDA

View Full Version : Day Pack

reh1966
01-08-2007, 11:01
I understand that this can be a very individualized thing, but I would like to have your input. I am looking to buy a day pack. All of my day trips I have used a cheap school book bag. This has worked but later in the year I will be taking a trip for a week to Glacier National Park and would like a better alternative. Also with the right pack I was thinking that I could use it for overnight trips as well. What is everyones thoughts on the best packs. If I can get two or three good choices then I can go from there. Thanks.

Rex

c.coyle
01-08-2007, 11:14
... I am looking to buy a day pack. All of my day trips I have used a cheap school book bag. This has worked but later in the year I will be taking a trip for a week to Glacier National Park and would like a better alternative...

What about your current cheap school book bag do you think will be inadequate for your GNP trip?

Gray Blazer
01-08-2007, 11:37
What about your current cheap school book bag do you think will be inadequate for your GNP trip?
I use a cheap school book bag when I'm out day hiking. Bob, the Smokies Ridge Runner even painted an official waterproof white blaze on it. Thanks, Bob (Don't tell Minnesota Smith that someone was actually out repainting blazes). Go Gators !!

Footslogger
01-08-2007, 11:42
I understand that this can be a very individualized thing, but I would like to have your input. I am looking to buy a day pack. All of my day trips I have used a cheap school book bag. This has worked but later in the year I will be taking a trip for a week to Glacier National Park and would like a better alternative. Also with the right pack I was thinking that I could use it for overnight trips as well. What is everyones thoughts on the best packs. If I can get two or three good choices then I can go from there. Thanks.

Rex
==================================

How much you looking to carry in it ?? ...weight-wise, I mean. I was in REI recently and saw a couple light weight daypacks that caught my eye. Made from ripstop silnylon and have a foam frame sheet, decent shoulder straps and a small hip belt. Can't remember the exact model names but they are REI packs.

'Slogger

highway
01-08-2007, 11:50
Footslogger seems right. First decide what you would like to stuff it with and then the decision is automatically made. I have a small Kelty fanny pack called boulder 475 that I have used, mostly for the two webbed pockets on each side for water bottles. Otherwise that is large for me. Now I just keep my fishing tackle in it while walking the beach looking for pampano schooling:p

fiddlehead
01-08-2007, 12:09
I love my daypack. It is a smaller version of the Go-Lite Breeze which is my regular pack. However, they quit making it but i have 2 so they should last a while. IT is simple, with mesh pockets and i use it overnight if it's less than 3 nights.

reh1966
01-08-2007, 15:27

The school bag has been fine, but I was hoping to get something maybe a little larger so it could double for short one night trips. Plus it gives me an excuse to buy something new:) .

How much you looking to carry in it ?? ...weight-wise, I mean. I was in REI recently and saw a couple light weight daypacks that caught my eye. Made from ripstop silnylon and have a foam frame sheet, decent shoulder straps and a small hip belt. Can't remember the exact model names but they are REI packs.

Slogger,

Weight wise I was thinking something capable of maybe 25lbs or so. Campmor has the GoLite Dawn. It looks like it may have potential but I will also check and see what REI has.

Rex

copythat
01-08-2007, 16:47
Weight wise I was thinking something capable of maybe 25lbs or so. Campmor has the GoLite Dawn. It looks like it may have potential ...

Rex
i have a dawn. i think it's a fine day pack and could easily carry a light load for overnight, but i wouldn't put 25 pounds in it -- or even 20 -- if you paid me AND carried it for me. unroll a ridgerest, plop your sleeping bag and tarp in the bottom and add some extra clothes and a small nested pot/cup/stove set-up and ... bingo.

and that golite daypack fiddlehead has -- i think it was called the day, or something like that (is that the one, fh?) -- that was a nice pack. you might be able to track one down used.

reviews: http://tinyurl.com/y6fefy