PDA

View Full Version : Mess Kit

partinj
01-08-2007, 12:46
Hi well down to just a few more things.I got the Kmart greese pot nice But i also got a open country 2 quart for xmas. The Kmart weight 2oz the 2quart weight 6oz.I like the ideal of heating all the water i need at one time. The kmart is black all the way around it hold heat petty well. The kmart boil water in 3min. the 2q in 3 1/2 min.What do you guys think

Thank:-?

highway
01-08-2007, 13:07
Hi well down to just a few more things.I got the Kmart greese pot nice But i also got a open country 2 quart for xmas. The Kmart weight 2oz the 2quart weight 6oz.I like the ideal of heating all the water i need at one time. The kmart is black all the way around it hold heat petty well. The kmart boil water in 3min. the 2q in 3 1/2 min.What do you guys think

Thank:-?

I have read that the aluminum leaching from our aluminum pots and pans and getting into the foods we consume just might be contributing to the onset of alzheimers in some. And those cooking containers, being designed to withstand the cooking process just may have withstood a harder anodization process than a 'grease pot' would have and so, when heated, may very well leach away those Al molecules or oxides into the food cooked with them quickly. If true, then the savings for going cheaper just might turn out to be more expensive. But, for all I know it may not be true, though

highway
01-08-2007, 13:09
regardless, I hardly think you need 2 quarts for one person and maybe not even for two

mountain squid
01-08-2007, 13:24
2 qts is alot of water. Lipton sides only call for approx 2 CUPS of liquid and you might find that you only need 1/2 of that...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

rafe
01-08-2007, 13:25
regardless, I hardly think you need 2 quarts for one person and maybe not even for two

2 qts is prolly overkill for one person. I'm using a 1.3 quart and it's plenty big. Unfortunately the "small" Open Country pot (about .75 qt.) is marginal for cooking Liptons... it can be done if you're really careful, but there's not much room for error or overflow.

highway
01-08-2007, 13:38
I go solo & use an .85L MSR kettle. With the larger dinners I have to be a little carefull stirring it but it works great and holds the concoction cooked quite well. Its drawback is its a little large for a coffee/choco cup but I still use it for one. I couldnt go smaller unless I went to freezer bag cooking which I considered but opted against it. But two quarts for one is waaaaay to large

Outlaw
01-08-2007, 14:03
I have read that the aluminum leaching from our aluminum pots and pans and getting into the foods we consume just might be contributing to the onset of alzheimers in some. And those cooking containers, being designed to withstand the cooking process just may have withstood a harder anodization process than a 'grease pot' would have and so, when heated, may very well leach away those Al molecules or oxides into the food cooked with them quickly. If true, then the savings for going cheaper just might turn out to be more expensive. But, for all I know it may not be true, though

If you trust Snopes.com, here is an article I found there regarding aluminum poisoning. http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=aluminum+pots&sp-a=00062d45-sp00000000&sp-advanced=1&sp-p=all&sp-w-control=1&sp-w=alike&sp-date-range=-1&sp-x=any&sp-c=100&sp-m=1&sp-s=0 According to Snopes, it seems that this urban legend has been around for quite a while.

We use a KMart grease pot for two of us. It works just fine for us, although my son now has a third eye growing out of his forehead.:D

highway
01-08-2007, 18:47
This message has been edited due to deviation from stated intent of this topic.

Straight Forward Forum posts are moderated. Postings in this forum must be on topic. This forum is intended for a more straight forward discussion. Other forums on Whiteblaze offer wide ranging dialogue.

Your views and posting are always welcome at Whiteblaze.net when they stay within the user agreement.

http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement

Hammock Hanger
01-08-2007, 20:17
I have read that the aluminum leaching from our aluminum pots and pans and getting into the foods we consume just might be contributing to the onset of alzheimer's in some. And those cooking containers, being designed to withstand the cooking process just may have withstood a harder amortization process than a 'grease pot' would have and so, when heated, may very well leach away those Al molecules or oxides into the food cooked with them quickly. If true, then the savings for going cheaper just might turn out to be more expensive. But, for all I know it may not be true, though

I ran an Alzheimer's Clinic for 15 years. Back in the day when I took Girl Scouts out camping and they all used those aluminum mess kits. I asked some of the doctors that worked for me what they thought about Alzheimer's and Aluminum. They said don't worry about it that there is really no conclusive evidence to go with the story.

Now I have not researched this, just passing on what doctors told me.

4eyedbuzzard
01-08-2007, 21:40
Aluminum cookware is fine (especially for simply boiling water)but there are concerns over using it to cook and especially to store tomato based products and certain other acidic/salty foods(rhubarb, sauerkraut, etc.) that react with the aluminum and its oxide surface. Eggs are also on some lists. This includes aluminum foil in contact with the stored food. The danger is real enough that many state's health codes forbid the use of plain aluminum for storing foods like tomatos that should normally be prepared with "non-reactive" cookware. Yeah, they actually write-up and fine restaurants/food services for this - at least in NH at any rate.

Hard anodized aluminum and coated(non-stick)pans do not have this reaction problem and are safe for using with all foods.

BTW, soda(very acidic) and beer cans, (and even steel food cans, etc) have all been lined with thin coatings of nonreactive materials (mostly plastics) for many years now.

Some interesting info at http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/water-eau/drink-potab/aluminum-aluminium_e.html

Outlaw
01-08-2007, 22:08
I ran an Alzheimer's Clinic for 15 years. Back in the day when I took Girl Scouts out camping and they all used those aluminum mess kits. I asked some of the doctors that worked for me what they thought about Alzheimer's and Aluminum. They said don't worry about it that there is really no conclusive evidence to go with the story.

Now I have not researched this, just passing on what doctors told me.

If you go to the Snopes.com article I cited in #7, there is a link at the bottom of the piece to the following article: Is Alzheimer's disease related to aluminum exposure?
(Scientific American)