PDA

View Full Version : Packing

mambo_tango
01-08-2007, 21:05
Ok so I just got my sleeping bag for Christmas and I have looked at the diagrams on where to put everything in your pack. I keep my bag in the compression sack that it came in but it seems like when I put it in my pack it takes up way too much space and makes me wonder how everything else is going to fit. Tips or suggestions? It is a 4 pound bag from Wiggy's.

Big Dawg
01-08-2007, 21:06
what kind of pack do you have?

MOWGLI
01-08-2007, 21:07
Ok so I just got my sleeping bag for Christmas and I have looked at the diagrams on where to put everything in your pack. I keep my bag in the compression sack that it came in but it seems like when I put it in my pack it takes up way too much space and makes me wonder how everything else is going to fit. Tips or suggestions? It is a 4 pound bag from Wiggy's.

4 pounds? Ouch! That's an awful heavy bag. And I ain't known as a Gram Weenie.

Any chance you could return it for a lighter more compressable bag?

mambo_tango
01-08-2007, 21:18
I have a medium aether 60. My brother from Alaska gave the bag to me and I guess it is just one of those girly sentimental things that make me not want to return it. I know! It is silly.

mambo_tango
01-08-2007, 21:27
Would it be possible to have the bag strapped on the front of the bag? Downsides to this?

mambo_tango
01-08-2007, 21:28
Sorry meant to say on the front of my pack..not bag.

Skidsteer
01-08-2007, 21:41
Sorry meant to say on the front of my pack..not bag.

You'll most likely feel awkward and uncomfortable with a four pounder strapped to the outside of your pack.

You could try walking around the block with it and see for yourself but it is pretty heavy. What's the temp rating?

mountain squid
01-08-2007, 21:47
DO NOT strap to the outside of your pack (bad things are waiting to happen with that plan:eek: )!!!! A 4# sleeping bag is obviously heavy and as you have found out it does not compress well.

If you don't want to return that heavy, behemoth, tell your brother that it is now your "car camping" sleeping bag. And, then, start looking for a lighter, down bag, which will compress very well. If that is not feasible, try to find some compression straps. Compression straps will help some, but you will be adding still more weight...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

bigcranky
01-08-2007, 22:03
Don't strap your sleeping bag to the outside of an internal frame pack like the Aether 60. You'll find it *very* difficult to keep it dry -- and a dry sleeping bag is crucial. Just don't do it.

A couple of random thoughts:

1. Wiggy's bags are fine for synthetic bags -- heavy, but most 20-F rated synthetics are pretty bulky and pushing 4 pounds. If you have a true compression stuff sack -- with straps that let you tighten down the ends to make it smaller -- it might fit in an Aether. I got some big bags in my older Aether 60. The downside to a compression sack is that it will kill the loft faster. Synthetic bags don't last as long as down anyway, and a compression sack hastens their demise. (Also, as an aside, DO NOT store the bag in any sort of stuff sack. If it didn't come with a big cotton storage bag, hang it in your closet or lay it out under your bed for storage. Just don't try #2 if you have cats.)

2. The sleeping bag should fit horizontally in the base of your pack inside it's stuff sack. Then your other gear goes on top in whatever order you decide works for you.

3. Your gear works together as a system. You may have chosen two pieces of gear -- sleeping bag and pack -- that don't play well together. The Aether 60 is a lower-volume pack designed for lighter hikers (not ultralighters) who generally aren't carrying synthetic 4-lb sleeping bags. Not that there's anything wrong with that <grin>, but some compromise might be required. (I do understand the family gift thing, BTW.)

The pack is a great choice. The bag might be, um, suboptimal.

mambo_tango
01-08-2007, 22:04
Ok.. so I am bad but I compare everything to that pack test I took for the forestry (45 Ilbs for 3 miles in 45 min) and tend to think that nothing can be as bad as that (I carried all the weight with my shoulders and it rubbed off some of my skin). Anywho the bag is +20 degrees which is supposed to be an accurate measurement with these bags (I sleep cold).

mambo_tango
01-08-2007, 22:09
Thank you bigcranky (and everyone else)! Obviously I am a newbie hiker and your advice will help a lot (and it was all so sensitive to my delicate newbie senses). I think I will be able to figure something out.

rafe
01-08-2007, 22:11
45 Ilbs for 3 miles in 45 min

That's crankin'. ;) At least twice the typical long-term rate. Question is, what kind of long term rate can you sustain without taxing the bod? Do yourself a favor and invest in a decent, compressible down bag.

bigcranky
01-08-2007, 22:20
Your "delicate newbie senses?":rolleyes:

gumball
01-08-2007, 22:21
Yes, if you can afford it, a lighter more compressible 20 degree bag will make such a difference for you. Its not just 4 lbs, its 4 lbs all compressed into the bottom of a pack not meant to carry a 4 lb bag. That's a lot of weight that would be better to carry in...food!

mambo_tango
01-08-2007, 22:37
Your "delicate newbie senses?":rolleyes:

Well yes. Euphemism for 'green behind the ears yet painfully suffers from some know-it-all disorder that comes with youth and inexperience'. I am only two years past teenagerhood after all.

bigcranky
01-08-2007, 22:39
That's cool, I have a 16-year old at home. 'Nuff said.

mountain squid
01-08-2007, 22:40
That certainly is crankin'...I would assume that you trained alot before doing it and then, after that 45 min you were done and then had time to recuperate...About the only thing that can prepare you for hiking in the mountains, is just that - hiking in the mountains. Just because you CAN physically carry 45# or more doesn't mean that you should. Remember, you will be hiking every day and carrying your pack every day.

As a reference, most hikers probably avg between 2-3 miles per hour (depending upon terrain, of course).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mambo_tango
01-08-2007, 22:47
Meh - I only had a week and a half to train (it was a spontaneous decision to do it and barely made the time - one guy did it in 38 min) and I definitely don't plan to do anything like that when I am on the AT. *shudder* - I am trying my best to keep my weight down and taking only what I need but the sleeping bag christmas gift kind of threw me for a loop.

rafe
01-08-2007, 22:53
As a reference, most hikers probably avg between 2-3 miles per hour (depending upon terrain, of course).

Just curious what your reference is for this. The most official-looking numbers I've seen are from Roland Mueser's study of the AT class of 1989. Eg., in one table (12-4) he cites the "average" hiking speed at 1.3-1.7 mph. The "average" group encompassed 70% of the sample. 10% were "fast" (1.8-2.1 mph) and 20% were "slow" (0.8-1.2 mph)

In overall miles per day (table 12-1) the largest group (60% of sample) hiked 13-15 mpd, the next-largest subset (27%) hiked 16-18 mpd.

Do you think these numbers have changed since 1989? I honestly haven't the foggiest.

bigcranky
01-08-2007, 23:03
OK, back to the original topic.

Mambo Tango, when you go to put your sleeping bag inside your pack, it'll be a tubular shape in the stuff sack. First put the stuff sack in upright (skinny tube up-and-down), which is easier, then reach down inside the pack and turn it 90 degrees so that it's lying flat in the bottom of your pack. It may be *very* tight down there -- don't worry too much about it. You may have to work it back and forth to get it sideways, and this may reduce the capacity of your side pockets.

If you absolutely can't make it work this way, then you might need a smaller compression sack for the bag, or a smaller bag.

Programbo
01-08-2007, 23:08
Tips or suggestions? It is a 4 pound bag from Wiggy's.

If you had an external frame pack there wouldn`t be a problem :D
But aside from that..4 pounds is a bit heavy unless it`s a fairly cold weather bag...On a side note..I had a long phone conversation with Mister Wiggy (Or whatever his real name is) way back when he first started his company and he sent me samples of two of his bags to sell in our store..I wasn`t to impressed with them and told him why..The fact that he`s still around tells me he changed something

rafe
01-08-2007, 23:16
If you had an external frame pack there wouldn`t be a problem :D

That's true... It looks geeky as get-out, but with my old Camp Trails pack, the tent, pad and sleeping bag all lived outside the pack and just under the main compartment. A simple, logical, effective system. Takes about 15 seconds to attach them. Rotational inertia is a b!tch though. And the Vapor Trail is 2 lbs lighter. I think I'm liking this lightweight rig. :)

mountain squid
01-08-2007, 23:16
That is impressive that you were able to complete that endurance test. I don't think I could have done it even when I was younger.

Honestly, though, if you are concerned about your sleeping bag, return it. Everybody returns a Christmas gift at some time. Talk with your brother, tell him it doesn't fit in your backpack very well and hopefully, he will understand.

I don't know if this is what your compression sack is but this is what I was referring to in my first post:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47609587&parent_category_rn=4500447&vcat=REI_SEARCH

As far as "my reference", no, I don't have any hard data. It is just a guestimate from observations...I know that that is about how fast I hike, and it sure seems like alot of people are moving faster than me...but, I don't know.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mambo_tango
01-08-2007, 23:24
OK, back to the original topic.

Mambo Tango, when you go to put your sleeping bag inside your pack, it'll be a tubular shape in the stuff sack. First put the stuff sack in upright (skinny tube up-and-down), which is easier, then reach down inside the pack and turn it 90 degrees so that it's lying flat in the bottom of your pack. It may be *very* tight down there -- don't worry too much about it. You may have to work it back and forth to get it sideways, and this may reduce the capacity of your side pockets.

If you absolutely can't make it work this way, then you might need a smaller compression sack for the bag, or a smaller bag.

OK I just tried this and it freed up a lot of space and I think I will try a smaller compression sack possibly too. Thanks!:D :D :sun

virtualfrog
01-09-2007, 01:55
You probably won't be carrying a 20 degree bag the whole thru unless you do sleep *really really* cold, so I wouldn't necessarily worry about replacing it. But, I'd think you'll want a lighter bag/sleeping system for the summer/southern portions of your hike.

I'd just work at getting a nice light second bag for most of your thru. It'll fit in your pack much nicer. 60L will seem like a lot of room to fill them :)

Undershaft
01-09-2007, 12:34
I also carry a big heavy 20F synthetic bag. I've thought about getting a lighter, less bulky bag, but I'm attached to the one I have. I also use a large pack, which makes finding room for everything a non-issue. Are there any items you can leave out of your pack(that you can live without) to make space for your sleeping bag? If not, perhaps there are other items that can more easily strap to the outside of your pack. Jacket, rain gear, tent(or at least the tent poles), camp shoes, sleeping pad, all come to mind. Virtualfrog has a good idea. Buy a fleece sleeping bag liner or light summer bag to use in the warm months. Thats what I intend to do. Hope you work everything out.

mambo_tango
01-10-2007, 01:19
You probably won't be carrying a 20 degree bag the whole thru unless you do sleep *really really* cold, so I wouldn't necessarily worry about replacing it. But, I'd think you'll want a lighter bag/sleeping system for the summer/southern portions of your hike.

I'd just work at getting a nice light second bag for most of your thru. It'll fit in your pack much nicer. 60L will seem like a lot of room to fill them :)

I slept with a military 40 below bag the whole summer in Alaska :D . Usually with all my clothes on too. Oy. Of course I haven't spent much time in the South so maybe I could get by with something lighter down there.