PDA

View Full Version : Baxter Park Black Bear

woodsy
01-08-2007, 22:53
Not too often that you can get a picture of the front side
of one of these in the great north woods (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/scan0003.jpg)

Watched this guy for about 10 mins . before he caught
wind and turned tail.:sun

stumpknocker
01-09-2007, 06:56
I finally got to see my first Baxter bear last year near The Birches. He was a beautiful fella, but I only got to see him for about 15 seconds before he was gone. :)

woodsy
01-09-2007, 11:08
I got 6 pictures of this Bear, here is another one as he/she comes closer (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/scan0005-1.jpg)
Watched it tear open a stump before this:eek:. These close encounters without being detected are pretty exciting!

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 11:23
Darn it! I had the perfect broadside of a large, relatively unconcerned male bear on the actual AT, broadside to the camera, paused and posing in front of a tree with a White Blaze on it! In the Shennies.
A lifetime shot.

Framed the perfect shot, the next ATC cover photo, took the shot... click - oh no! I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't see camera function print, finally realized the camera card was full! Damn! Fumbled out another care...and dropped that! Oh no! Crap!

Retrieved card from dirt, pulled old card, jammed in another, the bear is just waiting there... framed another shot - thank you bear! you are very patient - click and oh no!

THAT card is full too, and needs to be reformatted. No glasses still, so squinting and holding the camera at arms length to find the function, cursing softly and continuously, the pressure is on now, meanwhile my friend takes a few beauties with his box camera....

Finally, I find the correct reformatting button and, with a mechanical whir, the camera starts erasing old photos... that takes awhile and meanwhile, Mr. Bear finally tires of the attention and moves off down the trail.

("Hey! Wait up!") I got a few desperate shots of his disappearing backside. LOL.

No animals were harmed in the filming of this comedy of errors.
;-)

stumpknocker
01-09-2007, 11:29
Darn it! I had the perfect broadside of a large, relatively unconcerned male bear on the actual AT, broadside to the camera, paused and posing in front of a tree with a White Blaze on it! In the Shennies.
A lifetime shot.

Framed the perfect shot, the next ATC cover photo, took the shot... click - oh no! I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't see camera function print, finally realized the camera card was full! Damn! Fumbled out another care...and dropped that! Oh no! Crap!

Retrieved card from dirt, pulled old card, jammed in another, the bear is just waiting there... framed another shot - thank you bear! you are very patient - click and oh no!

THAT card is full too, and needs to be reformatted. No glasses still, so squinting and holding the camera at arms length to find the function, cursing softly and continuously, the pressure is on now, meanwhile my friend takes a few beauties with his box camera....

Finally, I find the correct reformatting button and, with a mechanical whir, the camera starts erasing old photos... that takes awhile and meanwhile, Mr. Bear finally tires of the attention and moves off down the trail.

("Hey! Wait up!") I got a few desperate shots of his disappearing backside. LOL.

;-)

Sounds like the typical nobo to me. Oops, did I say that??? :D

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 11:39
Sounds like the typical nobo to me. Oops, did I say that??? :D

You're just as blind as me, babe!
:)

stumpknocker
01-09-2007, 11:43
You're just as blind as me, babe!

THAT'S YOUR RETORT???? Very dissappointing. :(

I thought you would slam me for that crack. :)

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 11:46
Here's the money shot, and my account.
I got most of the details right, LOL:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=35607

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 11:48
THAT'S YOUR RETORT???? Very dissappointing. :(

I thought you would slam me for that crack. :)

Sorry, I don't pick on helpless critters.
Unlike some mouse-killing Leki weilders.

stumpknocker
01-09-2007, 11:55

NOTICE; Don't click on that link!!!! She's just trying to increase the counter on her old, decrepit, deficient, exhausted, doddering journal. :eek:

woodsy
01-09-2007, 12:03
A lifetime shot.

;-)

Jan , are you admitting to being just a little bit excited? LOL

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 12:04
NOTICE; Don't click on that link!!!! She's just trying to increase the counter on her old, decrepit, deficient, exhausted, doddering journal. :eek:

Ha! Don't be bitter.
Can 415K clicks be wrong?
;)

stumpknocker
01-09-2007, 12:08
Ha! Don't be bitter.
Can 415K clicks be wrong?
;)

Nah, I still tell anyone who asks about the best journal to read, to go check out Liteshoes. :)

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 12:09
Jan , are you admitting to being just a little bit excited? LOL

Ha! Yeah. Just a little bit!
It was a very very cool day - and my first close-encounter bear on foot.

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 12:10
Nah, I still tell anyone who asks about the best journal to read, to go check out Liteshoes. :)

Did my teth just fall out?
(Where are my teeth?)
:D

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 12:12
Leki weilders.

That doesn't look right. Does "I" come before "E" in wielders?
Matt, where are you?

Kerosene
01-09-2007, 13:28
I ran across a beautiful 10-point buck near Apple Orchard Mountain in Virginia a few years ago. He was about 30 feet from the trail, staring at me intently. I stopped and waited for 20 seconds and s-l-o-w-l-y tried to reach my camera, but he'd had enough. The locals in Daleville didn't believe that I had seen a 10-pointer!

TJ aka Teej
01-09-2007, 16:17

Is the "bear" hiding behind that black shadowy kinda thing in the middle?

MOWGLI
01-09-2007, 16:25
I really like the fireworks on the end of that log!

PS: I was the 415,000th visitor to Jan's journal. What do I win?

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 16:53
Is the "bear" hiding behind that black shadowy kinda thing in the middle?

It looks like a buzzard to me.

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 16:53
I really like the fireworks on the end of that log!

PS: I was the 415,000th visitor to Jan's journal. What do I win?

Bacon, of course.

woodsy
01-09-2007, 19:57
It looks like a buzzard to me.

That's what I meant when i said:

Not too often that you can get a picture of the front side
of one of these in the great north woods (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/scan0003.jpg)