PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness question for past thru-hikers

SuperDave
06-24-2003, 13:09
I understand there are some rock faces to climb in the 100 mile wilderness. Is this something I need to be using rock climbing equipment? Or, Is can this be acheived by hands, knees, feet, and sweat.:-?

Blue Jay
06-24-2003, 13:20
You do not need rock climbing equipment. Although they would be nice for coming down the north side of Garfield in the Whites while it's raining or SOBO down the Lehigh Cliff.

MOWGLI
06-24-2003, 13:39
The worst rock faces that I can recall were in Western Maine, outside of the 100 Mile so-called Wilderness. Regardless, there is no place along the trail where you will need anything other than what you carry in the south. Your hiking pole(s), should you choose to bring along one or a pair, will be useless in certain areas with rock slabs. you can always affix them to your pack in those areas. I did hear of some hikers who used a rope to lower their packs ahead of them in some of the areas with steep rock faces. I didn't use that technique however.

MOWGLI
06-24-2003, 13:53
Let me clarify my previous entry. When I stated that you will not need anything other than what you carry in the south, I am not referring to clothing considerations. That can be very different in the north. I am speaking specifically about gear.

TJ aka Teej
06-24-2003, 17:14
Originally posted by SuperDave
I understand there are some rock faces to climb in the 100 mile wilderness. Is this something I need to be using rock climbing equipment? Or, Is can this be acheived by hands, knees, feet, and sweat.:-?

There are no Trail features on the AT (In Maine or elsewhere) that require technical climbing equipment. You will encounter bare ledge, scrambles, and even some bouldering, but nothing needing special skills or gear.