PDA

View Full Version : Female NOBO AT Thru-hiker partner wanted for Female (novice)- April 07

Third Wheel
01-09-2007, 03:44
So here's the deal- I am very much a novice hiker and camper, but I got the white blaze fever! I'm 24, from Maine, and am currently an English instructor in Japan. Originally I was planning on hiking with my bro and his wife, but there are some complications concerning them moving back to the states for this year. At any rate, if they can't accompany me, I need to have a back-up plan. I have noooo idea how far I'll get, but I can only know by trying and the flame of hiking the AT has already spread too much within me that I don't want to pass the opportunity.
So, with all that said-please drop me a line-

Furlough
01-09-2007, 04:35
Hello and Welcome 3rd Wheel.

As some of the more experinced folks will I am certain tell you, you will find that there will be many hikers out on the trail at the time frame you are looking into. So, you may end up hiking with or near several folks, meaning a dedicated hiking partner is not necessarily a must have.

Also, as you explore White Blaze you will find (assuming you have not already found) that there is a Forum established for Female Hikers. Posting in there will give you access to some great advice and insights from some very knowledgeable and helpful ladies.

Again welcome to White Blaze and good luck with your hike this year.

Furlough

fonsie
01-09-2007, 05:05
well you should have no problem finding someone to hike with. I myself am starting in the beganning of march and I am so got the joneses for this 6 month vacation. I am a guy starting alone but im sure I will find someone out there to hike with the entire At with. If not O well im out there to enjoy myself and the adventure. But you should be fine.

mambo_tango
01-10-2007, 02:05
Well my sister and I are starting in April (my boyfriend is going to be in Japan funny enough) so maybe we will see you there.

Third Wheel
01-14-2007, 05:25
Arigato gozaimasu! Thanks for the reasurance... yeah, my bro's been telling me the same too... but it won't ease the minds of those ever wonderful parental units.

Pokey2006
01-14-2007, 05:46
Parents are tricky...with mine, I reluctantly agreed to carry a cell phone, and that made them feel better. Worked for me, too, because they paid the bill! Also, make sure you check in at home whenever you hit town, and over estimate how long it will take you to get to the next town so they don't worry when you're half a day late calling them. Eventually they'll realize you're OK out there and relax a bit.

Good luck finding a hiking partner, but if you don't, please don't let that cancel out your plans. You can still hike on your own and meet up with lots of other hikers along the way.

Pokey2006
01-14-2007, 05:47
Oh, and I should probably add: note my age. 34. Yes, 34 and still having to deal with parents worrying about me. It never ends.