PDA

View Full Version : Weather moving in

Chaco Taco
01-09-2007, 10:39
Looking at the GSMNP webcams showed the clouds building on the horizon, then, just like that, complete cloud cover. Just goes to show that the weather can change in a matter of moments in upper elevations.
http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/WebCams/parks/grsmcam/grsmcam.cfm
About 20 minutes ago, you could see up to Mt Guyot. Now, nothing!

ed bell
01-09-2007, 10:41
Snow advisory for the High Country Tenn/NC today. Looks like you got to watch the snow movin in.:cool:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-09-2007, 10:48
It is snowing heavily outside as I type from the southeastern valley outside the GSMNP.

Dixie, let me know if you or the boys need any help if we get enough snow be a problem... we have a 4 wheel drive truck and the he-dino knows how to drive in the snow (he was stationed at the USAF base in Minot, ND for a while....)

4eyedbuzzard
01-09-2007, 11:01
Minot, ND. A beautiful woman behind every tree:rolleyes: I spent several years on and off up near there in Beulah building a power plant(Coyote Station). Not all that much snow compared to some other places I lived (Park City, UT comes to mind) but I remember the C-C-C-COLD quite well.

Lone Wolf
01-09-2007, 11:29
snowing like crazy here in damascus

Traction
01-09-2007, 11:35
clear as a whistle in harrisonburg.. clouds moving in though. chance of light snow this afternoon and tonight.. i hope so... i could use a little hike in the snow. :D

Michele
01-09-2007, 11:56
You all must be getting the little system we got here in Michigan yesterday. It was coming down like crazy and all melted by sundown last night. Ground temps are too warm. It's going to climb back up into the 40's this week (regular highs are in the mid-upper 20's). I say keep the warmer weather coming..at least till I get past Mt. Rodgers! :)

TOW
01-09-2007, 12:00
Looking at the GSMNP webcams showed the clouds building on the horizon, then, just like that, complete cloud cover. Just goes to show that the weather can change in a matter of moments in upper elevations.
http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/WebCams/parks/grsmcam/grsmcam.cfm
About 20 minutes ago, you could see up to Mt Guyot. Now, nothing!
Looks like damascus right now! Went from 70 two days ago to almost freezing and snowing right now.........

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-09-2007, 12:08
Yikes - look at the Purchase Knob WebCam in the GSMNP (http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/grsmpkcam/grsmpkcam.cfm)

Ewker
01-09-2007, 12:21
The sun is shining in Nashville with 20-30 mph wind gust

mountain squid
01-09-2007, 12:26
Snowing in Johnson City as well. Can only imagine what is happening up on Roan...

It sure is nice to be inside watching it fall...Good Luck NOBO's:sun .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Hammock Hanger
01-09-2007, 12:46
I have a guy out working on my new pool and the sun is shining here in north FL. DO I really want to drive up to the snow, the cold, a bunch of whacked out hikers.... FOOD!!

stumpknocker
01-09-2007, 12:50
I have a guy out working on my new pool and the sun is shining here in north FL. DO I really want to drive up to the snow, the cold, a bunch of whacked out hikers.... FOOD!!

YES!!!!! I miss you and am looking forward to seeing you again. :)

Hammock Hanger
01-09-2007, 12:52
YES!!!!! I miss you and am looking forward to seeing you again. :)

Ahhhh, for you baby anything!! I will try and bring a little :sun with me.

RadioFreq
01-09-2007, 13:18
Here in the Twin Cities we had a brown Christmas (no snow)....and THAT'S JUST NOT RIGHT! :(
There is still no snow on the ground.....and THAT'S JUST NOT RIGHT! :confused:
We still haven't had any temps below zero....and THAT'S JUST NOT RIGHT! :-?
I have had to shovel my driveway exactly once....and THAT'S JUST NOT RIGHT! :banana

ed bell
01-09-2007, 19:10
Yikes - look at the Purchase Knob WebCam in the GSMNP (http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/grsmpkcam/grsmpkcam.cfm)Check out the link again, folks. Time sensetive cause the sun is about to set.:sun

Ramble~On
01-09-2007, 19:32
I just got home from 3 days of camping in the Citico Creek area of Tenn.
The snow started this morning as a few flurries and gradually turned to large flakes that carpeted everything. The drive back into NC over the Cherohala Skyway was something I hope to not do again anytime soon.
I never got out and measured how much snow is up at the higher elevations on the Cherohala and I won't guess. Without 4x4 I'd still be in Citico Creek (I really wish I was still out there)....freshly fallen snow covering the woods is something that isn't seen enough here.
How nice it would be if the cold and snow could save the hemlock from the monsters ravaging them.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-09-2007, 19:33
Here is the Purchase Knob Web Cam as a still shot for those who missed it before the sun set (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/SnowpicforWB.jpg)

tiamalle
01-09-2007, 19:33
It is snowing heavily outside as I type from the southeastern valley outside the GSMNP.

Dixie, let me know if you or the boys need any help if we get enough snow be a problem... we have a 4 wheel drive truck and the he-dino knows how to drive in the snow (he was stationed at the USAF base in Minot, ND for a while....)There is lots of snow around Franklin too,I hoping it clears off the roads for the ruck.

ed bell
01-09-2007, 19:47
Perfect capture FD. Got a little bit of lights in the distance, and the soft blue color of the fading dusk. Nice. Question: anyone caught a full moon on this webcam with snow on the ground? Just wondered how well the ground shows.

karo
01-09-2007, 20:21
Snowing in Johnson City as well. Can only imagine what is happening up on Roan...

It sure is nice to be inside watching it fall...Good Luck NOBO's:sun .

See you on the trail,
mt squid
Hey, mt squid, I'd love to be up at Roan tomorrow. I wonder if 143 up to Carver's Gap is open.

mountain squid
01-09-2007, 20:50
Hard to say, I would imagine it is clear, but I don't know. It stopped snowing here this afternoon and all has melted already. I was thinking of going up there on Sat to see the potential "winter wonderland". If you have 4wd you would probably be okay...

Was glad to see that your last trip up there went well.

See you on the trail,
mt squid