PDA

View Full Version : Harrison's Pierce Pond Camps

nanillac
01-09-2007, 11:24
Thinking about using the road to Harrison's Pierce Pond Camps in Maine as a spot to leave a car for a shuttle. Would this be a feasable thing to do? Is it a decent road to drive in on?

Lone Wolf
01-09-2007, 11:26
It's a gravel road but well-maintained. Not a problem with a family car.

Askus3
01-10-2007, 02:27
I placed a car at what was called Main Logging Road for two dayhikes: One was from Caratunk to the logging road and then the next day from Main Logging Road to East Flagstaff Road. This was 9/30/04 & 10/1/04.

TJ aka Teej
01-10-2007, 09:00
Thinking about using the road to Harrison's Pierce Pond Camps in Maine as a spot to leave a car for a shuttle. Would this be a feasable thing to do? Is it a decent road to drive in on?
:welcome to WhiteBlaze!
Get yourself a Maine Gazetteer from Delorme. You can park right at Harrison's for a small fee, there's not really room for a car at the trail crossing if I remember right.

warren doyle
01-10-2007, 10:18
Depending on the winter and spring thaw/rain, this road can be a little bumpy at times for a passenger vehicle. Of the fifteen or so times I have driven it, there have been two times that I have had to park about 1 mile short of the actual trail crossing due to road erosion.
No need to pay a fee to park at Harrison's since there is limited, but seldom used, parking at the trail crossing and more trailhead parking (unsigned) a few hundred yards past the trail crossing.
As a matter of fact, if one wants to day hike the entire Maine section of the AT (except for the first 14.6 miles north of the NH/ME border which poses logistic problems), it is possible to do this without paying any fees with the proper strategy. This all depends on how strongly you feel about paying fees to private corporations to walk on a public trail.
When I have time, I plan to start a "How to Day Hike the 100-mile Wilderness' thread.
Happy free trails!

Namaste
01-10-2007, 10:20
That road all the way up to Harrison's was awful last year especially with the logging trucks coming down the opposite side.

Call Tim ahead of time and arrange for his famous pancake breakfast. Yum!

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 10:21
"How to Day Hike the 100-mile Wilderness' thread.
Happy free trails!

can't wait for that and the ensuing huffing and puffing from the usual peanut gallery.:D

MOWGLI
01-10-2007, 10:30
As a matter of fact, if one wants to day hike the entire Maine section of the AT (except for the first 14.6 miles north of the NH/ME border which poses logistic problems), it is possible to do this without paying any fees with the proper strategy. This all depends on how strongly you feel about paying fees to private corporations to walk on a public trail.

Happy free trails!

Warren:

What purpose does the above post serve - other than to stir things up? Do you derive pleasure from watching the fish that rise to your bait?

warren doyle
01-10-2007, 10:47
MOWGLI16,

Since this is supposed to be the 'information superhighway', I know there are people out there who would like to know that one can day hike the 100-mile Wilderness if they want to. I will provide both 'regular' and 'philosophically creative' logistics for the 'obedient' and the 'questioning' respectively.

I don't question your passion/commitment/competency in providing information on the 'western' AT alternative.

Is there only certain people that should be allowed to share their passion/commitment/competency about the AT on this website?

As you already know, I'm not in a 'safe, popularity' contest here.

Bait is in the eyes of the beholder. I see no 'can of worms' here.
I'm not into 'hooking' people. I'm just into providing additional information to help people realize there are choices.

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 15:36
Aaaaaaanyway, back to the Harrison's/Pierce Pond question. When I came off the trail onto the gravel road this summer I took a left instead of going straight and found myself after a few hundred yards at Harrisons and met the owner who was one of the most pleasant and helpful people on the trail. He filled me up with ice cold water, a couple great stories and sent me off feeling better about an already glorious day on the AT. Great Place and I may even plan for a night there when I head SOBO this June.

TJ aka Teej
01-10-2007, 16:15
Back on topic:
WhiteBlaze member Aaron/Askus3 is well known for his great Maine AT trip reports that focus on short day hikes and car spotting.
His site has a very detailed parking/access section, here's what he has regarding nanillac's question:
http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=12%20&sectionID=103

woodsy
01-10-2007, 16:15
I have heard nothing other than good about
the man, and what a place! Pierce Pond!

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 16:20
I have heard nothing other than good about
the man, and what a place! Pierce Pond!

Exactly! Take the short detour. Meet the man. Enjoy Harrison's. One of Maine's best kept secrets. Harrisons at Pierce Pond.

TJ aka Teej
01-10-2007, 16:28
Exactly! Take the short detour. Meet the man. Enjoy Harrison's.

Absolutely!
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1329&catid=member&imageuser=314

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 16:42
Teej, thanks for the photos.

Appalachian Tater
01-10-2007, 20:49
MOWGLI16,

Since this is supposed to be the 'information superhighway', I know there are people out there who would like to know that one can day hike the 100-mile Wilderness if they want to. I will provide both 'regular' and 'philosophically creative' logistics for the 'obedient' and the 'questioning' respectively.

I don't question your passion/commitment/competency in providing information on the 'western' AT alternative.

Is there only certain people that should be allowed to share their passion/commitment/competency about the AT on this website?

As you already know, I'm not in a 'safe, popularity' contest here.

Bait is in the eyes of the beholder. I see no 'can of worms' here.
I'm not into 'hooking' people. I'm just into providing additional information to help people realize there are choices.

FYI: most people on this website seem to be more interested in backpacking than mere hiking.

Harrison's was great: the owner, the pancakes, and the swarm of hummingbirds.

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 22:44
FYI: most people on this website seem to be more interested in backpacking than mere hiking.

Harrison's was great: the owner, the pancakes, and the swarm of hummingbirds.

Depending on the person one is not better than the other and we shouldn't be made to feel that way by people who would like us to. What's the point of the word mere. Mere hiking is how I prepped for the trail and I LOVED it. Anyone else who is merely hiking should be able to also without judgement from outsiders.

woodsy
01-11-2007, 00:28

Back to the question, when? do you plan on hiking? The season could make a difference whether or not you can drive all the way in.

nanillac
01-11-2007, 09:53
Will be hiking during the first of July.

warraghiyagey
01-11-2007, 13:00
I went through there at the beginning of July last summer and the roads were fine and there were a couple cars at Harrison's. I'm sure you could work something out with him to leave your car there. He is a very friendly person

nanillac
01-11-2007, 13:56
Sometimes I like to "backpack", sometimes I like to "hike". I enjoy both.

warraghiyagey
01-11-2007, 14:08

Aren't they both derived of the same inspiration? To be out there? Where it is beautiful. For me there is not much of a delineation between the two.

woodsy
01-11-2007, 15:06

If you like to hike, This a a 10 minute hike you can't miss while you are passing through to Pierce Pond. It's a spectacular not well known canyon just north of Wyman Lake on the road in. Sheer vertical walls, huge boulders and waterfalls, bring camera.
It is not named on the map but the trailhead(sign) is on the left after crossing bridge -Carrying place stream area, small parking area.fyi

Askus3
01-11-2007, 16:51
This place you are talking about - is it Houston Falls? This is on Pleasant Ridge Road - maybe about 1/2 mile beyond where the road curves away from the west bank of Wyman Lake. Photos 123-127 are from here. (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1446747777063208931EfWDIl) The falls is labelled on the DeLorme atlas. About 1/4 mile beyond the falls trailhead (away from Wyman Lake) is Pine Grove Lodge where we stayed and made a base for hiking from Moxie Pond Road to East Flagstaff Road (3 day hikes). Excellent accommodations that I recommend. This facility is more centrally located for hiking the AT and doing this area. The owner also does shuttling.

woodsy
01-11-2007, 17:56
Houston Brook Falls is on the south end of Wyman Lake, another and different hike than Stony Brook Canyon. Work your way north on the road beyond Wyman Lake toward Pierce Pond. Carrying Place Stream is on the map and the next brook going north is Stony Brook, trail goes upstream on right side of stream.

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2007, 18:46
Nanillac:

You received, for the most part, some good advice. A few quick comments:

*Harrison's is a great place; very nice folks.

*While there might be "free" places to leave a vehicle at or near the
Trailhead, your car would probably be safer on the Harrison property; it
might be worthwhile to pay the small fee.

*Also, despite what at least one person has implied, there are places in
Maine where car accessibility depends on one paying a gate fee in order
to access and use privately owned roads. Despite what has been said
about using "proper strategy" in these locations, the simple fact is that
willfully ignoring known fees or charges on the Trail is not only unethical,
but is also illegal. Those advocating "proper strategy" in order to save a
few dollars are simply suggesting that like them, you become a thief.
In my opinion, this is not particularly wise advice. The vast majority of
people enjoy the A.T without resorting to this.

Have a great trip!

Sly
01-11-2007, 20:38

Perhaps that's true, but it's not a prerequisite to be a member here. it's a "community for AT enthusiasts..."

It appears you're another one that doesn't like Warren. How valuable to the community is it for you to criticize his every post?

Askus3
01-11-2007, 21:16
I have been section hiking the AT and figured out a way to dayhike the AT thru Maine (including the Hundred Mile Wilderness). I have taken detailed notes that I have posted on http://rohland.homedns.org/AT/State/state_menu/at_state_menu.aspx?id=12 . I have requested a sub-forum (see: askus3 subforum) explaining to Attroll my plans when I started of posting my trip reports which gives tips on how to dayhike the AT thru Maine and beyond as i am starting to work my way into New Hampshire. These are very long reports requiring much more than the maximum space allowed for a normal attachment. I give times, mileages, landmarks, statistics and also include links to an extensive photo log of the AT over at Webshots. There is alot of info for a southbounder to utilize from these reports. However this is a collection of dayhikes with information for car shuttling. I have invited Warren to look over my notes and maybe we will collaborate on something. These reports deal exclusively with the AT. The Whiteblaze moderators feel there is worthwhile info here. TJ says in post #11 that I am well known for what I have documented. I doubt that highly, but every morsel of info on the AT belongs here. Whiteblaze.net is synonymous with the AT information center. If you want info on the AT this website is where you come to get it. Has anyone ever come to an old wood road and wondered if that was a way out of the wilderness, where does it lead? Maybe you're out of water, food, need medical attention. You are limping badly. Maybe there is a morsel of useful info that could be used. Then it is worth having or knowing it is out there. There is a whole series of guidebooks on dayhikes utilizing the AT. Nothing wrong with this in my opinion. This website is about the AT and if you want to hike it exclusively in the dark, barefooted, with 200 lbs of gear, over the course of 3 months or 30 years at the speed of a turtle or an impala the choice is yours. We are all welcome here. Stop bickering over whose post belongs or doesn't belong because you don't believe it is the proper way to do the trail, if it is about the AT ... then it belongs!

Moxie00
01-14-2007, 22:00
Pierce Pond is just a short hike from the Kennebec crossing. I have left a car at Ferryman's, crossed, hiked to Pierce Pond, caught a few trout and hiked back to the Kennebec to catch the last crossing. The are several excellent places to leave a car where the trail comes off Little Bigelow. There is quite a network of logging roads between Bigelow and the Kannebec and most can driven in a car. With a 4 wheel drive it is amazing the places you can get to. Once mud season passes, around Memorial Day, most Maine logging roads are passable.

Askus3
01-15-2007, 00:22
The hike Moxie00 mentioned, I think is one of the prettiest day-hikes in Maine. I would add a stop at Harrison's Pierce Pond Camp and make sure you take in a couple of those spur trails to the waterfalls along the way. If you have a youngster, make an overnight out of it staying at the Pierce Pond Camp. Your kid will be looking forward to the canoe ride on the way back to keep them motivated plus it is pleasantly all down hill going back.

Maineiac
01-18-2007, 11:02
The road into this area has been greatly improved over the past few years. I maintain the section of trail from Pierce Pond Southbound and park at this road crossing every trip in there, and I have found the road easier to travel each time. You should have no problem getting in there with a family car at the time of year you plan on hiking. As mentioned, there are a couple of parking spots where the trail crosses the road (this is where I park) and more further on up the road just a bit. You can also check with Tim Harrison to see if he would let you leave your car in his parking area, which might save you about a hundred yards or so of walking and gets your car out of sight of the cars that might pass it on the roadway. Anyway, say hi to Tim for me when you pass through and enjoy the breakfast if you can. Enjoy a nights stay at Pierce Pond shelter, and have a safe and great hike.

Maineiac