PDA

View Full Version : sleeping options.

SillyGirl
01-09-2007, 15:50
I was reading the post on sleeping bag liners and wondered... Does it make any sense to carry a light weight extra pair of long underwear for sleeping as opposed to a sleeping bag liner? The extra pair would be only for sleeping in and could be washed in town. :cool:

rafe
01-09-2007, 15:52
I was reading the post on sleeping bag liners and wondered... Does it make any sense to carry a light weight extra pair of long underwear for sleeping as opposed to a sleeping bag liner? The extra pair would be only for sleeping in and could be washed in town. :cool:

Makes sense to me. The "ultralight" crowd will scream, of course.

Footslogger
01-09-2007, 15:56

===================================

Well ...from personal experience I can tell you that a pair of lightweight polypro long johns (at least the bottoms) will NOT get tangled around you at night and they will keep you at least as warm as a bag liner.

With the exception of mid summer hiking I generally always carry a pair of polypro long john bottoms nowadays.

'Slogger

hammock engineer
01-09-2007, 15:58
I am planning on doing that. Someone else here said it best, I would rather wear my bag liner then get tangled up it (or something to that effect). I like seperate sleeping clothes anyway. That way they are always dry. They will also be cleaner than my hiking clothes. It will also give you extra emergency layer if you get too cold or soak your hiking clothes during the day.

Hammock Hanger
01-09-2007, 16:39

When I do sleep in long-johns there is no need for a liner.
As long as your "sleep clothes" are clean the bag will stay clean.

mountain squid
01-09-2007, 16:41
It does not make sense to me. When it is cold, I already carry one pair of long underwear. I don't even recall ever having slept in them. Usually sleep in t-shirt and nylon shorts. It doesn't make sense to carry an extra pair just for sleeping in. It would be "dead weight" for me, as well as taking up more space in backpack.

Additionally, during the summer, when it might be too hot to sleep in a bag, you can sleep in the liner with your bag as a "blanket". (By summer, you will probably have sent your long johns home.) Also, The JagBags website implies that a mosquito cannot penetrate the silk. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but something to consider...(unless I am in my tent, the pesky little buggers seem to find a way to get me...)

See you on the trail,
mt squid

sparky2000
01-09-2007, 16:59
Make sure you have a big enough sleeping bag so you'll be able to change yur clothes in the shelter.

Johnny Swank
01-09-2007, 17:34
I've tried liners but just can't make myself like them. I already carry at least a seperate thermal shirt most of the time, so I just wear that to be if it's cold.

Actually, now that I think about it, I just wear my DriClime shirt to bed most of the time if it's chilly. I live in that thing 8 months of the year.

Spirit Walker
01-09-2007, 17:56
I tried a liner when I first started the AT but got so tangled up in it I left in in a hiker box at Neels Gap. Never missed it since. Yes my sleeping bag gets dirty - but I live with it.

When it's cold I sleep in long underwear - top and bottom. I never hike in long bottoms, just my Supplex pants, since my legs get too warm if I'm wearing longjohns too. I keep a set of long underwear just for camp and sleeping when it's cold. I get hypothermic easily, so I need to get into something dry as soon as I stop moving. When it's cold it's long underwear, but when it's warm I still change my shirt. Usually to a light long underwear top even in summer, unless it's REALLY hot, then it's a spare t-shirt.

So - my gear is usually 2 long underwear tops and one bottom in the winter, plus a t-shirt for the warm days, and 2 t-shirts, no bottoms and one long underwear top in the summer. But we also hike places where it gets cold at night in the summer.

My husband sleeps warmer than I do - he only wears long underwear bottoms if it's really really cold - he likes his legs to be free. Thermal bottoms are always the first thing to be sent home or put in the drift box and the last thing he takes out of the box in the fall. There has been more than one night where I was warm and cozy and he was freezing because he wouldn't wear the thermals - but he'd rather not carry the weight and I'd rather be comfortable. It's up to you.

Frosty
01-10-2007, 00:01
Makes sense to me. A pair of silk long johns will weigh about the same as a liner, so not only is it not dead weight, it might even save weight. Keep the long johns in a zip lock bag and you will always have a pair of clean, comfy sleepwear.

I have a liner, but dislike it after a couple of uses because it is hard to get out of for those midnight calls-of-nature, and back into. It makes a decent bag for weekenders when it is hot.

As someone said, it is good to have a tent big enough for you to sit up in so you can change into and out of you night clothes.

I keep a night stuff sack in my pack, with sleep silks, silk gloves and balaclava in cold weather, tiny radio with earphones, photon light, fleecy pillow cover, and a zip lock pee-bag for those rainy nights when nature calls but I don't want to go outside my tent to answer :cool:

Flask
01-10-2007, 00:09
wow a zip lock pee bag in the bag. genious! thanks for the idea!

FanaticFringer
01-10-2007, 01:05
wow a zip lock pee bag in the bag. genious! thanks for the idea!

That is until you roll over onto it.:D
Better to use a small plastic bottle with a decent size lid.

The Weasel
01-10-2007, 01:10

Silly (actually, no so silly)...

I always carry a fleece sweater and fleece longjohn bottoms, to be worn for cold weather or, with socks, at night in my sleeping bag, much as you suggest. I'm an ultralighter, and I use a basic principal that everything I carry should have 3 uses: The sweater/bottoms are for cold, for sleeping warmth, and to keep the interior of my bag clean. I haven't used a liner in years.

The Weasel

Frosty
01-10-2007, 01:13
Better to use a small plastic bottle with a decent size lid.You don't put it in the sleeping bag with you! As an aside, if I were able to use a small soda bottle for that purpose, I surely wouldn't admit it on the internet! :eek:

copythat
01-10-2007, 01:21
Better to use a small plastic bottle with a decent size lid.

http://tinyurl.com/ybw6v3 ????????????????????

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-10-2007, 08:28
A .25 oz bottle isn't going to get it -- try a 20 oz gatorade or powerade bottle.

hopefulhiker
01-10-2007, 10:58
I started out with fleece long johns and a silk liner. Sent the fleece long johns back at Neals Gap... It depends on how you sleep.. But you can wash the liner, it helps keep your bag clean.. Also on really hot nights I just used the liner by itself... Also I carried the patagonia silk long johns and wore them at night. I learned I could wear them wet and they would be dry in the morning...

rafe
01-10-2007, 11:27
Ideas on where to get simple generic, lightweight silk top/bottoms, in, say, black or dark blue?

Footslogger
01-10-2007, 11:39
Ideas on where to get simple generic, lightweight silk top/bottoms, in, say, black or dark blue?

================================

REI sells them under their own brand name ...or at least they used to.

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-10-2007, 12:49
Ideas on where to get simple generic, lightweight silk top/bottoms, in, say, black or dark blue?From our own Fiddlehead dba Warm Stuff Distributing (formerly The Underwear Guys) (http://fiddleheadpa.safeshopper.com/49/cat49.htm?38)

hammock engineer
01-10-2007, 14:33
Also check out sierratradingpost.com, campmor.com, and sportsmansguide.com. They usually have some sale going on.

rafe
01-10-2007, 14:34
Didn't see any plain silk base layer at Campmor. Just ordered some from "The Underwear Guys." Cheap, too.

Frosty
01-10-2007, 16:10
Didn't see any plain silk base layer at Campmor. Just ordered some from "The Underwear Guys." Cheap, too.tops:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39157631

bottoms:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39158136

Underwear guys have good stuff, too. Just make sure you type theunderwearguys.com and not underwearguys.com. Not that there is anything wrong with the other one.

rumbler
01-10-2007, 18:17
Be interested to see what the difference between silk thermals and my polypro thermals is.

rafe
01-10-2007, 18:26
Be interested to see what the difference between silk thermals and my polypro thermals is.

From what I've seen so far... silk is very light, but not as warm as most polypro fabrics I've seen. I'm thinking of using it for camp/sleep only, and 3-season only, so warmth isn't critical.

Footslogger
01-10-2007, 18:30

========================================

For me they were huge (in favor of polypro).

Now, I'll qualify that by saying my silks were pretty thin ones. They feel nice going on and all ...but they didn't do much for me in terms of warmth.

Not that you asked ...but the same goes/went for my silk bag liner.

'Slogger