PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Boy Scout Leader

Chaco Taco
01-09-2007, 20:02
So Ia m interested in trying to join a boy scout group in the area. I am studying to be a teacher and really want to be a part of a troop so I can share my experience I had with young men. What can I do and how can I join up and get put with a group???

Footslogger
01-09-2007, 20:17
OK ...you asked so this was my experience.

Son turned 12 and some of his school friends were joining one of the local troops (Atlanta area) back in '87 - '88. I called the local council and got a listing of the troops in my area and asked around regarding their size and activity levels (some troops are more active than others).

Long story short ...we picked a troop and showed up one night for orientation and to fill out the paperwork. They found out that I was an Eagle Scout and that's when they started sinking their hooks into me.

Now, I'm not complaining because both my son and I got A LOT out of those years. But before going in blindly ...I want to tell you that it is A LOT of work and takes A LOT of your time.

My son made Eagle in '95 and I stayed on as an Asst Scoutmaster until about 2001. The real trick (unless you WANT to spend the rest of your life doing this) is to figure out how to cut back and finally break away. Trust me, if you are serious and committed to the scouting movement it is VERY hard to quit !!

Here's what I would suggest. Decide how much time you have to devote to it. Pick a troop and offer to help in a certain area ...like "Backpacking" and take that on as your primary function. You'll end up doing other things but that will be your focus. Organize seminars (we called them "backpacking 101" ..."102", etc and get the boys (and some of the other adult leaders) interested and involved. Set up a program whereby that subgroup (not all boys in the troop will want to do this) has a monthly outing/activity. Stick with the program and repeat it each year as your troop gets new members.

It's a rewarding experience and I wouldn't trade any of it ...but it was a huge chunk of my life for 12 years.

Enjoy and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

'Slogger

Chaco Taco
01-09-2007, 22:12
Slogger,
Thanks for the info. I really want to do the backpacking stuff and organize monthly trips. I was a Scout but never saw it through to Eagle scouts. My leader was the one that introduced me to the AT and I fell in love with backpacking because of him. Anyway, thanks so much for the info. When I have kids, I hope to get them involved in Scouts or Venturers.
Thanks Slogger

SteveJ
01-09-2007, 22:52
So I'm interested in trying to join a boy scout group in the area. I am studying to be a teacher and really want to be a part of a troop so I can share my experience I had with young men. What can I do and how can I join up and get put with a group???

Hi, Lowspark. I'm the dad of 3 sons - 11, 17, and 19 - all who have been through / are in Scouts. I'm the Committee Chair of my sons' troop. I agree w/ slogger - if you show up at my troop willing to help, I'll end up asking you to help 'till you tell me 'no!'

as far as logistics of how to hook up w/ a troop... Call your local Scout office and ask to speak with the District Executive for your area. Ask him to give you the troop #'s for troops that are near you, and where they meet, and when they meet (he may not know this). Show up at their meetings (in my area, 90% of troops meet on Monday night at 7:00), and check the troop out. If it's a group you're comfortable with, introduce yourself to the Scoutmaster and tell him who you are, why you're there, and how you want to help. Be prepared for some questions - most Scout Leaders have sons in troops, so they'll probably want to be sure that you're not some wierdo... After you clear that hurdle, it's all fun from there!

Thanks for being willing to invest yourself in the lives of boys...

Steve

Dances with Mice
01-10-2007, 06:41
Lowspark - You can also become a Merit Badge Counselor for the outdoor merit badges - Camping, Backpacking, Hiking. In this capacity you are able to work with boys from several different troops in your Council.

mrc237
01-10-2007, 08:18
I was asked to drive one weekend and 33 years later I "retired". Be careful of what you commit yourself to and fulfill your commitments! Some of my best memories in life have to do with the BSA. Enjoy!!!! MrCee Troop 237 Brooklyn NY

JimM
01-10-2007, 08:25
Don't underestimate the time commitment. When my son was involved, I found that it took more time than I originally expected. My experience as a scout was a just starting point...being involved as an adult made me really appreciate the contribution of those adults who were active in my troop when I was younger. Good luck in your quest...it is a rewarding experience.
Jim

txulrich
01-10-2007, 10:47
You mean it's not just an hour a week???? Just kidding. I agree with all of the other posts. Define how much time you are will to commit and what are your activity preferences, then talk to the DE. If you would rather work with the adults, there's a place for that too.

I was a scout as a kid, my sons were both scouts and now I'm involved again with my nephew. I use it as an excuse to go camping!!

ASUGrad
01-10-2007, 11:19
My son is a Webelo 2 moving up and my wife is the Pack Secretary. The greatest skill a Scout Leader can have is the knowledge of when to say "No" before they burn out. Be forceful. You also need to "share the wealth" with the parents and other leaders. Let everyone find their niche. Don't let anyone push you where you don't want to go. I'm game for most stuff but I will not go caving or skiing. Bad knees.

We are looking at one troop that does a lot of different things. They have leaders who only do caving, some only do camping, some only do water events. It really helps to share the load and keep old scoutmasters active after their kids leave.

Footslogger
01-10-2007, 11:43
[quote=ASUGrad;300719]My son is a Webelo 2 moving up and my wife is the Pack Secretary. The greatest skill a Scout Leader can have is the knowledge of when to say "No" before they burn out.
======================================

Been a few years now ...but the biggest obstacle(s) to keeping boys involved and interested were GASOLINE and PERFUME when I was still an Asst Scoutmaster.

Around the age of 15 - 16 (right about the time they are developing good skills and working on their trail to Eagle) the forces of society become a huge factor.

'Slogger

hammock engineer
01-10-2007, 14:40
I went through Scouts and got my Eagle back in '97. My uncle was my scoutmaster for most of that time. One of my friends mom was the assistant, than someone else's dad was the scoutmaster for the last year. They spent a lot of time outside of meeting.

It is a great thing you wanting to do this. A group like scouts is only as good as it's leader. I talked to someone in Cincy who was his son's scoutmaster. They were a high adventure troop. They took at least 1 weekend a month backpacking and usually a week or 2 trip in the summer. A lot of work, but it would be a fun group to be in.

From what I seen in my scouting years, they are in great need of people with backpacking skills. A lot of troops only car camp or hike with so much weight that no one has fun hiking.

4eyedbuzzard
01-10-2007, 15:02
This message has been edited due to deviation from stated intent of this topic. See removed postings HERE (#11) (http://www.hikenow.com/edits.html#a11)

I shall try to remain as straight forward as possible regarding the "Just the facts Ma'am" by posting this link to a summary of some of the controversies and policies/positions of the BSA that some might find as reason not to be involved, and/or that the BSA might find as reason to exclude certain individuals as Scouts or Leaders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies

Tabasco
01-10-2007, 15:16
.....or possibly as specific reasons TO be involved

4eyedbuzzard
01-10-2007, 15:36
.....or possibly as specific reasons TO be involved

Very true, I offered no judgement either way, just information as to BSA policy. The gentleman who started the thread is interested in becoming a BSA Leader. I think that is a good thing. I also believe ethics are a good thing. I believe one has the ethical duty to disqualify oneself from membership if their beliefs are contrary to BSA policies. I further believe any specifics would best be discussed in a "general" thread on the topic.

Toolshed
01-10-2007, 18:09
I've just become a den-leader for my Cub scout pack as my young son joined this past fall. Even after over a decade of leading backpacking trips for several outdoors clubs as well as doing workshops and the like, I can say that I have never been so overwhelmed by all the rules and regulations, the paperwork, all the badge and elective requirements and trying to contain a dozen youngsters. I was a scout growing up and have new found appreciation for my old scoutmaster and cub master. I realize scouts need folks with outdoor skills, but I do feel like a baby sitter at some of these meetings. I think it will get better as the kids get older, though.

reh1966
01-10-2007, 21:17
Lowspark,

As best I could tell, everyone has given you dead on advice. The only point that I didn't see mentioned is the cost associated with scouts. It is money well spent (investing in the future of kids) but be prepared for it. I myself am an Eagle Scout, as well as my oldest son. My youngest son is a Life scout and will hopefully earn his Eagle before to much longer. For those that know me, Scouting has been and will continue to be an important aspect of my life. I encourage you to give it a try in whatever capacity your time and interests allow. Remember that as with anything worth doing, you will get out of it what you put into it. Have fun.

Rex

SteveJ
01-10-2007, 23:52
chuckle.... I have 3 sons, all of whom went through Cub Scouting from 1st grade 'till high school. My wife and I have been involved as leaders because it became obvious to us early on that the quality of our sons' experience in scouting would be directly correllated with the am't of energy and time we put in it.... That said, I couldn't be more thrilled that my youngest son 'crossed over' into the Boy Scout troop last month and we're done with Cub Scouting after 12 years! He's going backpacking with me on a troop outing this weekend! (and yeah, I'll have to admit that's a lot more fun than doing anothe Cub Scout craft!!) That being said, the paperwork, rules and regulations are still important for a number of reasons: liability, accurate tracking of a boy's accomplishments (important if he plans to become an Eagle Scout), etc....

Steve

I've just become a den-leader for my Cub scout pack as my young son joined this past fall. Even after over a decade of leading backpacking trips for several outdoors clubs as well as doing workshops and the like, I can say that I have never been so overwhelmed by all the rules and regulations, the paperwork, all the badge and elective requirements and trying to contain a dozen youngsters. I was a scout growing up and have new found appreciation for my old scoutmaster and cub master. I realize scouts need folks with outdoor skills, but I do feel like a baby sitter at some of these meetings. I think it will get better as the kids get older, though.

txulrich
01-11-2007, 10:09

Some suggestions that may help. Feel free to use or discard as you wish.

At the beginning of the meeting, have the Denner light a "Good Conduct Candle". If the boys act up and get out of control, have the offender(s) blow out the candle. When the candle completely burns out, take a road trip, somewhere scouting related, but fun. The peer pressure of delaying the trip will be enough most of the time to keep them in line.

Get a Den Chief. This is a Boy Scout in need of leadership experience for his own advancement. He can teach them some age appropriate scouting skills, be in charge of gathering time and coordinate a game.

You don't have to do everything. Give one of the other adults in your Den the responsibility of advancement. We collected the books during gathering time. My ADL marked them on the chart (mounted on a piece of plywood) and communicated to the Asst. CM before the pack meeting.

Utilize the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle.

Lastly, you can have the greatest meeting plan of all time, but if they didn't have fun doing it, your meeting cannot be considered successful. If your plan falls completely apart from your perspective, but the Cubs had fun doing it, consider the meeting a success. This can change you view of things from time to time.
If want to chat about any specific issues, drop me a PM. BTW, I used to train our new Den Leaders.

TN_Hiker
01-11-2007, 11:51
To all the other Scouters out there, thank you for time and dedication. I'm definitely bais as a Eagle Scout and currently serving in several leadership positions, but I'm personally convinced BSA is one of the best programs out there for our youth and provides the biggest bang for the buck. Getting back on track.......Another option you might consider Lowspark is Venturing which is a Scouting program that came about in the early 90's. Typically a Venturing Crew is co-ed, ages 14-21 that focus primarly on high adventure type activities such as backpacking, whitewater boating, caving, climbing / rappelling, etc. If you visit www.thescoutzone.org (http://www.thescoutzone.org) you will be able to locate the council and Scouting units in your area.

anneandbenhike
01-11-2007, 15:08
Footslooger's post definitely addresses the declining participation of boys around the ages of 15-16... gasoline and perfume.... So the best thing is to start a coed venturing program. Although my three sons (two eagles) were in scouting before I was, my husband has been part of the program since their cub scout years. In 1999 we started a Venture Crew in our Troop because one of the boys had a twin sister who wanted to join scouts. She said it was not fair for her brothers to go camping with Dad and not her!! She came along as a "guest" on many trips with her family. I was asked to become a female leader so that we could become legal. Since then I have completed all required training, taken Wood Badge and served on the staff of a WB course. Yes, it takes alot of time and energy but it has been the best thing I have done in scouting. The female interest has waxed and waned over the years but we have had more boys stay around when we had coed trips. Since the ages of Venture Scouts is higher (14-21) they are somewhat more mature and the trips that you can take are more high adventure...longer backpacking trips, caving, and sea kayaking are some of our past trips.

Two coed trips to Philmont were the highlight of my times in scouting and showed me that Scouting is the best program that there is to get youth into the outdoors and to keep them out there. I still am active in scouting but recruiting females is a difficult job. There are so many choices and obligations for kids these days. We will keep at it because I believe in the program and I love backpacking! I am just short of half way on the AT.

To address the desire to join a Troop, I would call the Council where you live and ask which troop has a reputation for their outdoor program...some are less active outdoors. Visit the troops and perhaps go on a trip with them...then pick the one that seems have what you want to do and people who love scouting! Good luck. We need people like you who are interested in Scouting.

Footslogger
01-11-2007, 15:35
[quote=anneandbenhike;301886]
Two coed trips to Philmont were the highlight of my times in scouting and showed me that Scouting is the best program that there is to get youth into the outdoors and to keep them out there. I still am active in scouting but recruiting females is a difficult job. There are so many choices and obligations for kids these days. We will keep at it because I believe in the program and I love backpacking! I am just short of half way on the AT.

=============================================

Oh yeah ...I left that out of my original post. Scouting adventures are definitely as much fun (if you want them to be) for the adults as they are for the boys. I led 3 Philmont treks, '95, '97, '99 (all over 100 miles long) and 5 Scuba Adventures to the SeaBase operated by the BSA in the Fla Keys. Did I say I had a lot of fun ????

Bottom line is that you get out what you put in. Not ALL boys will appreciate your efforts. After all, we now live in a society overrun with "entitlement" and "overprivelege". But all it takes is that moment you get through to ONE boy and see the smile on his face when he masters a new skill or accomplishes something he otherwise might not have even tried.

There are medals and such ...but the real rewards are all internal.

'Slogger

skyhiker2
01-11-2007, 15:40
Great thread!!!! I've always wanted to volunter myslef, and intend to do so after my thru-hike this year.. I was a scout from 11 to 16 and never made it past Tender Foot.. LOL >>> I just wanted to go camping.. I have great memories from the scouts and as much as I blieve in krama I fully intend to give back. Thanks for the question and the answers..