PDA

View Full Version : New AT Hiker

Joopster
01-09-2007, 21:35
Hi all, I am new to the site (obviously).

My wife and I have been to the Grand Canyon and have spent four nights at the bottom. We took an intermediate trail down there.

We are from Ohio and are going to have about a week to hike a part of the AT. We are wondering what is the best way to go about this. We are interested in maybe starting somewhere in VA or possibly North Carolina. We have purchased a Data Book about the AT trail but really have no clue as to where to start with the planning.

Are there lots of places to park a vehicle? We plan on driving to a trail head and entering from there. Is it best to hike one way and then catch a taxi or shuttle back to where you parked your car? Or is it better to hike one distance up the trail and come back down the second part of the week.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Josh

Lone Wolf
01-09-2007, 21:37
Come to Damascus, Va. I'll set you up with a shuttle and tips on where to hike.

Gray Blazer
01-09-2007, 21:42
Come to Damascus, Va. I'll set you up with a shuttle and tips on where to hike.Take him up on it! The perfect way to start getting to know the AT!

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2007, 21:44
Once you pick out where you want to go, you should get in touch with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and get the appropriate Maps and Guidebook. The maps will be useful for all sorts of things; the Guidebooks will give all sorts of other information, including road access spots, parking areas, etc.

(Go to www.appalachiantrail.org Info on maps and guides can be found on the "Ultimate Trail Store" section of their website).

If you're planning a trip of more than a few days, you might want to pick up a copy of "The Thru-Hikers Companion 2007" which will have all sorts of information on Trail mileage, shelters, campsites, water sources, road crossings, facilities and businesses that cater to hikers, etc.

And you might want to take Wolf up on his offer; the area of the Trail both North and South of where he lives (Damascus VA) is wonderful.

Alligator
01-09-2007, 22:27
Are there lots of places to park a vehicle? We plan on driving to a trail head and entering from there. Is it best to hike one way and then catch a taxi or shuttle back to where you parked your car? Or is it better to hike one distance up the trail and come back down the second part of the week.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

JoshThere's generally a place to park at most trail heads, but not always.

I prefer to get a shuttle from one endpoint when traveling with one car. I find it best to do my shuttle before starting my hike, as arranging the exact time of pickup is problematic. Some folks don't mind walking back over the same section of trail.

If hiking with two people, we take one car when the cost of driving the second car exceeds the cost of a shuttle. The cost of a shuttle can be somewhat variable.

There is a shuttle list here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/shuttle list appalachian trail conservancy).

moondoggy
01-09-2007, 22:47
Joopster....Listen to them...they are giving you good advice. We were in the same situation this year...a regular on this site(Star Lyte) recommended the Damscus, Mt Rogers area...we had a blast...great hike, beautiful area.
Damascus is a great little town..(I would add stay at the Lazy Fox Inn before or after your hike.. or as we did both)
Read as much as possible on this site between now and the time you leave....You'll have a great time

Socrates
01-09-2007, 23:57
Damascus does sound like a good place to start. Take LWolf up on his offer... Just don't bring any prarie dogs!

Jim Adams
01-10-2007, 00:32
LW,
You da man!

FanaticFringer
01-10-2007, 01:09
This message has been edited due to deviation from stated intent of this topic. See removed postings HERE (http://www.hikenow.com/edits.html#a01)

Peaks
01-10-2007, 09:56
Gee, for some one who has not done much backpacking, and looking for some place along the AT in Virginia or North Carolina, I'd recommend Shenandoah National Park. You can make several good loops using the AT for one leg. The best hiking in SNP is off the AT.

I think that second choice might be to do loops in Great Smokey Mountains National Park, using the AT for part of it.

Kerosene
01-10-2007, 10:36
I concur with the others; take L. Wolf up on his proposal and get in some great backpacking in the southern Virginia/Tennessee area. It's a short hop from Ohio and you won't have to worry about your car at trailheads.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 10:38
I concur with the others; take L. Wolf up on his proposal and get in some great backpacking in the southern Virginia/Tennessee area. It's a short hop from Ohio and you won't have to worry about your car at trailheads.

They can bike the Creeper and do lots of loop hiking around here.

Green Bean
01-10-2007, 11:44
How was at the bottom of the grand canyon??! heard it gets pretty hot down there. ~GB

Joopster
01-11-2007, 09:09
Thank you all for the help. I will be getting some maps and guidebooks for the Virginia area.

As for the bottom of the grand canyon, yes it's hot. Especially in June. ;)

maxNcathy
01-11-2007, 11:27
Last April Cathy and I visited Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus and Tom suggested we shuttle north and hike south back to Damascus.He suggested camp sites. It was a 42 mile hike that took us fron Sat noon to Wed afternoon.The scenery was great.Got cold rain on the last day.The next day we rented bikes and rode up and down the Creeper Trail. It was easy and fun to go the 20 miles. We got to speak to many hikers as they headed north on the AT using parts of the Creeper(old railbed) Trail.
Lone Wolf probably knows this area as well as anyone. He may even know who provides beer as trail magic.

Sandalwood