PDA

View Full Version : Best 50+ Section South of MD

barefoot
01-09-2007, 22:25
I take a group of teens from my church on week long trip on the AT in the summer. Last year we did Davenport Gap to Hot Springs. We live in Charlotte. I starting to think where to take them this summer. We can go anywhere south of Maryland. What's your favorite section?? I currently thing the Mt Rogers Area or Roan Mountain. Would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
01-09-2007, 22:27
Mt. Rogers area of course.

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2007, 22:33
Funny....I was gonna suggest either the Mt. Rogers area or the Roan Highlands!!

But seriously, if you want to do a great section that takes just under a week, look at the section from Erwin TN to Kincora Hostel in Dennis Cove, TN. I believe it's just under 70 miles. Janet Hensley, who runs a great hiker hostel in Erwin would be a great help as a local shuttler, a place to leave a vehicle, etc. Call her at (423) 743-1932

On the other end, Bob Peoples of Kincora Hikers Hostel would also be a great help. His number is (423) 725-4409

If you do the Virginia stretch, Jeff Patrick of Mt. Rogers Outfitters would be of similar assistance; you can reach him at (276) 475-5416 anytime.

Let us know what you decide, these are both fantastic stretches of Trail.

bigcranky
01-10-2007, 08:51
Second Jack's suggestion. If it has to be ~50 miles, then start at US 19E in Tennessee and hike south to Erwin. But I would go the whole 70 from Kincora. I love that stretch, though it kicked my butt pretty hard (I'm a wimpy section hiker).

barefoot
01-10-2007, 18:05
Mileage is an interesting topic. We usually travel Sunday morning and then hike Sunday afternoon to Friday. We usually do 7-11 miles per day depending on mountains