PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap question

bigben
01-09-2007, 23:57
I know this will be hard to answer, but give it your best shot. When do the most thru-hikers cross Newfound Gap, and at what time of the day?

I ask because my wife wants to do a family mini-vacation to Gatlinburg March 29th thru April 2nd. She can't really hike(chronic bilateral hip dysplasia) and we'll have the 5 and 1 year olds with us, so I figure the LEAST I can do is to drive up to Clingman's Dome and stop at Newfound Gap and pass out cold drinks and stuff to thru-hikers for an hour or so and maybe give a few a ride into Gatlinburg on the way back.

Given the above info, when should I be at the Gap?

Thanks,

Bigben

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 00:06
Between 11:00 and 1:00 you should catch hikers coming from Silers Bald shelter and Double Springs Gap shelter.

Jack Tarlin
01-10-2007, 00:13
Wolf is correct. Also, if you wanted to get up to Newfound earlier in the day, you should know that many hikers stay at Mt. Collins Shelter which is just over four and a half miles south of Newfound Gap. Assuming these folks will be leaving the shelter between 6:30 and 8:30 AM for the most part, and will take perhaps two hours, maybe a bit less to cover the distance, you should see thru-hikers at Newfound between 8:30 and 11:00, as well as the other times previously mentioned. I think right around 9:15 would be perfect.

And by the way, THANKS! This is a very nice idea.

Jim Adams
01-10-2007, 00:28
That may be the ultimate yogi spot on the trail. It is really great for you to spread some magic but it might also be fun just to see how hard some hikers will "work it". Remember, if they ask for it , thats begging. Yogiing is an art!
geek