PDA

View Full Version : Twenty Five Pounds

MrHappy
01-09-2007, 23:58
Just packed up my pack, and the whole kit and kaboodle with 5 days food and 2 litres water weighs a mere 25 pounds!!! I'm psyched -- only 2 more days until I fly down and start walking.

Bravo
01-10-2007, 00:00
Sounds Great. Good Luck.:D

Flask
01-10-2007, 00:10
could you jot down a quick list of what you ahve in your pack? im just curious what youre carrying. thanks!

Jim Adams
01-10-2007, 00:11
good luck and have all the fun that you can.
geek

Frosty
01-10-2007, 00:24
Just packed up my pack, and the whole kit and kaboodle with 5 days food and 2 litres water weighs a mere 25 pounds!!! I'm psyched -- only 2 more days until I fly down and start walking.I can hear your knees saying, "Thank you, thank you." :D

bigcranky
01-10-2007, 08:41
Sounds great -- have fun. I do have to say that you have one of the best trail names I have ever heard. :)

MrHappy
01-10-2007, 15:32
Ok, here's the packing list (roughly):

Pack: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus + 3/4 Length GG Foam Pad
Tent: REI Roadster Solo
Fartsack: REI Mojave +10 (womens... it was cheaper)
Packed in Sea to Summit 25L waterproof sack
Stove: Jetboil (original)
1 Orikaso Bowl and Cup
Titanium Spork
various spices in small plastic baggies, sm. bottle of olive oil.
small bottle of biodegradable soap
Full size backpacker towel (also for use as sleeping pad)
1 set of maps (GA + NC), Thru Hikers Companion
First Ait Kit (bandaids, Ibuprofen, moleskin, gauze)
Emergency Kit (flint, tiny compass, signal mirror, duct tape, fire starter)
50 feet Parachute Cord
Yaktrax Traction Devices
2 Platypus 2 litre bags
one nalgene (empty)
down booties
compass
head lamp (tikka)
extra batteries
small pocket knife
paper + pencil for journaling

Clothing:
Fleece Jacket, Pants, Vest
EMS Polypro Lovesleeve, short sleeve (worn) and leggings
Zip-off pants (worn)
EMS waterresistant gloves + liners
EMS Polypro balaclava
OR fleece hat and neck warmer
Socks: 1 pr heavy, 1 pr lightweight, 2 pr liners
3 bandana's

Food
5 quart-size freezer bag meals
5 instant oatmeal packets
10 snack baggies (fruit roll up, beef jerky, gorp, etc.)
5 cliff bars
coffee
parmesan cheese
chai tea powder
emergen-c powder

Looking at it, I realized I'm missing a few things:

Toothbrush, baking soda, hair ties, vitamins

MrHappy
01-10-2007, 15:38
Oh yeah, and a Patagonia hard shell and Marmot Precip pants stuffed into the outer pockets of my pack.

rafe
01-10-2007, 15:47
. . . Camera???

RITBlake
01-10-2007, 16:29
leave the nalgene home and go get yourself a 32 oz gatorade. Just as durable but lighter!

Good list though. You've done your homework.

stickat04
01-10-2007, 18:36
[QUOTE=RITBlake;301000]leave the nalgene home and go get yourself a 32 oz gatorade. Just as durable but lighter!

Need the Nalgene in a January-February start for a hot bottle, I would not trust a Gatorade bottle in my bag.

MrHappy
01-10-2007, 18:36
Thanks for the input.

My camera is very small and goes in my pants pocket, so I didn't count.

In warmer weather I plan on dumping the nalgene, but I want it's leakproofness for a hot water bottle in my sleeping bag on cold nights.

Bravo
01-10-2007, 18:41
Are you sure you won't need more food? 1 pack of oatmeal in the morning seems a little light.

Fannypack
01-10-2007, 18:54
Are you sure you won't need more food? 1 pack of oatmeal in the morning seems a little light.
ditto, more food but hey u will figure that out early & u can buy more at Neels Gap & Hiawassee as well as Franklin..
I started out thinking I could eat a freeze dried meal for one (for dinner) and soon found that I need a freeze dried meal for two

RITBlake
01-10-2007, 18:59
Need the Nalgene in a January-February start for a hot bottle, I would not trust a Gatorade bottle in my bag.

:datz:datz I forgot he was leaving so early. It feels like late fall/early spring with this warm weather. Good call on the nalgene.

MrHappy
01-10-2007, 19:04
I think I may need more lunch foods. The dinners and breakfasts are homemade and quite large. Once I get going I'll be doing a mixtures of maildrops and store bought food. I've posted apart of my my resupply list on my website, http://2000miler.net.

RITBlake
01-10-2007, 19:17
Thanks for the input.

My camera is very small and goes in my pants pocket, so I didn't count.

In warmer weather I plan on dumping the nalgene, but I want it's leakproofness for a hot water bottle in my sleeping bag on cold nights.

MrHappy, It doesn't leak...it MELTS!

Rainman
01-10-2007, 19:45
Definitely going to be hungry

MrHappy
01-10-2007, 22:37
What other food would you guys recommend? I'm mostly worried about $/calorie ratio. At the supermarket, chewy bars seemed to be the best. What else is good for lunches/snacks and also cheap? I don't really like candy bars (snickers, etc.) on the trail. The sugar doesn't last me very long.

chicote
01-10-2007, 22:42
I don't think he'll get that hungry, especially in the beginning. I always find my appetite takes a while to develop. I actually for the first 3 days eat less than I do in town. However, after that it kicks in just fine.

chicote
01-10-2007, 22:44
Oh and good luck and have fun. If you slow down a lot (not leaving till March 24th) I'll see you out there somewhere.

Jim Adams
01-11-2007, 01:56
If you are hiking the AT and starting mid March or later NoBo: leave the compass, signal mirror,traction devices, 1 platypus, down booties, 2nd compass, extra batteries, fleece pants and jacket, gloves, neck warmer,2 bandanas.
ADD: more food and whistle.
you should not worry about getting lost, if you do get lost , you need to talk to Bill Irwin (compasses and signal mirror)
if for some reason the trail is ice or heavy snow, stay in camp (traction devices)
2 liters and a nalgene is plenty of water
too cold to hike or be comfortable in camp--stay in camp and/or sleeping bag.(down booties,heavy gloves,neck warmer)
In town every 4--5--6 days(don't need to carry extra batteries)
you have rain jacket, rain pants, polypro, long pants and vest (don't need fleece jacket or pants)
geek

Jim Adams
01-11-2007, 01:56
If you are hiking the AT and starting mid March or later NoBo: leave the compass, signal mirror,traction devices, 1 platypus, down booties, 2nd compass, extra batteries, fleece pants and jacket, gloves, neck warmer,2 bandanas.
ADD: more food and whistle.
you should not worry about getting lost, if you do get lost , you need to talk to Bill Irwin (compasses and signal mirror)
if for some reason the trail is ice or heavy snow, stay in camp (traction devices)
2 liters and a nalgene is plenty of water
too cold to hike or be comfortable in camp--stay in camp and/or sleeping bag.(down booties,heavy gloves,neck warmer)
In town every 4--5--6 days(don't need to carry extra batteries)
you have rain jacket, rain pants, polypro, long pants and vest (don't need fleece jacket or pants):-?
geek

MrHappy
01-11-2007, 02:06
Well, Geek, the thing is, I'm leaving this sunday, which is defenitely BEFORE March 15th. And I'm very worried about getting lost -- it's my specialty.

rafe
01-11-2007, 02:11
Well, Geek, the thing is, I'm leaving this sunday, which is defenitely BEFORE March 15th. And I'm very worried about getting lost -- it's my specialty.

Then please ignore geek's advice and take a compass (http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24441778121&emssrcid=Nextag)!

http://images.ems.com/media/images/products/001/00168/0016867/001686799/001686799_green_200.jpg

Jim Adams
01-11-2007, 02:13
COMPASS??? the first 400 miles the trail looks like a highway!
geek

hopefulhiker
01-11-2007, 02:36
try dehydrated fruit, nuts, and beef jerky...

rafe
01-11-2007, 02:50
COMPASS??? the first 400 miles the trail looks like a highway!

I'll concede all that. I'm talking about a sub-ounce that could save my bacon in a worst-case scenario. To me, that seems safe & rational. Just my $0.02.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-11-2007, 06:40
TP?
In the winter you shold plan on 4 days of extra hi calorie food just in case the wx goes to hell and you get stuck for a while.

Jaybird
01-11-2007, 06:51
Just packed up my pack, and the whole kit and kaboodle with 5 days food and 2 litres water weighs a mere 25 pounds!!! I'm psyched -- only 2 more days until I fly down and start walking.

Man, i need to get your packing tips....
i'm hoping i'll be in the 25-lb range when i pack it up in late April.:D

Good Luck with yer hike!

i'll be section hiking (w/ "Jigsaw") Apr 25-May 6 in Central VA

LIhikers
01-11-2007, 08:00
What other food would you guys recommend?

Peanutbutter

Appalachian Tater
01-11-2007, 08:10
A pound of plain M&Ms mixed with a pound of those peanut butter M&Ms would be even better. Best two pounds you'll carry. If you're an ultra-lighter, use 12 ounce bags instead.

the_iceman
01-11-2007, 08:34
I am trying to get my weight down to that now for a March 5th start.

Do you know what your dry weight is without food and water?

Are you counting the clothes you are wearing?

MrHappy
01-11-2007, 11:00
I've repacked with some items I was missing and more food (peanut butter, honey, more gorp). Before it was 17lbs dry 25lbs wet. It's now 22lbs dry 30 lbs wet. The five days food is for the 30 miles to Neels Gap, so I don't think I'll run out. My Dinners are 400-600 calories and my breakfasts are 200-300, so i'm really going to have to pack it on in the middle of the day. I just finished making beef jerky and it came out great. Cost was about $5 for 8 oz. of jerky, which is much better than the store, and it tastes better too.

rafe
01-11-2007, 11:35
Cost was about $5 for 8 oz. of jerky, which is much better than the store, and it tastes better too.

FWIW, I've priced beef jerky at Costco and it's well under a buck an ounce. But I didn't really care for it on the trail. Agree that the home-made stuff tastes better -- but will have a shorter shelf-life.

RITBlake
01-11-2007, 11:42
The five days food is for the 30 miles to Neels Gap, so I don't think I'll run out.

Yah thats what I was thinking......

That's plenty of time for a young guy like you. You'll be walking in to Neels Gap with food in your pack I would imagine.

bigcranky
01-11-2007, 13:51
Well, if you do the approach trail, it's closer to 40 miles to Neel Gap. Five days is a reasonable amount of food. (I actually *liked* the approach trail and recommend it.)

If you are making your own breakfasts, you can greatly improve the calorie content by carrying a squirt bottle of margarine or a couple of sticks of butter to add to your oatmeal/grits/etc. Mmmm, fat. Keeps you warm. (I am totally serious about this.) Same with dinner, though some folks carry a small bottle of olive oil instead.

MrHappy
01-11-2007, 18:05
Ok, I've revised my food list. It's a lot heavier now, but should sustain me better. What do you guys think for the first 4 days?

Snacks
4 6 oz bag gorp
2 2 oz bag beef jerky
2 Fruit Leathers
2 8 oz bag banana chips

Breakfast/Lunches
1 Honey Teddy
1 1.5 oz tube Peanut Butter
4 half cups Oatmeal
4 Cliff Bars

Dinners
2 Freezerbag Meals
2 Backpackers Pantry Meals (3.5 oz)
3 Ramen Noodles

1 6 oz bottle of olive oil
2 oz. parmesan cheese and 2 oz. of various other spices

rafe
01-11-2007, 18:07
Banana chips never worked for me. But dried pineapple... yummy. Cheese is good. Any kind. Has fat, protein, carbs. The perfect hiking food.

jigsaw
01-11-2007, 18:18
i like the tuna pouches for lunch. along with some jerky and cajun snack mix.

MrHappy
01-11-2007, 18:33
I love freeze dried pineapple, but I'm saving what i've got for later in the trip (as a reward). I got a gift of 10lbs of banana chips, so... Also don't eat seafood. Other than that, do you guys think it will be enough/too much/too little? I'm a teenage boy with a large appetite, but I usually don't eat much for my first two days on trail (never done more than 4 days before, except as a part of a group where they provide the food).

the_iceman
01-11-2007, 18:37
Test show that eating banana chips attracts misquitos in bug season. No kidding.

nitewalker
01-11-2007, 18:40
harvest crunch power bars double cherry yum yum, gatorade mix for water = extra energy, a few gel shots, bagels are always nice and they are very durable, summer sausage and some hard cheese, beef jerky mix with oodles of noodles these are some good ones p butter with bagels[almost forgot]..your taste buds will cange along the way... also double check your sleeping bag and clothing we all seen what can happen when caught with slightly less gear than actually needed, dont be fooled by mother nature she is asleep now but can wake at anytime....good luck too you. hike smart and stay warm....peace out, nitewalker

nitewalker
01-11-2007, 18:57
ice man my relatives live just south of u in citrus hills..have u done any of the florida trail, ocala north? i may be doing some of that trail in the near future...

Pokey2006
01-12-2007, 07:09
Does anyone else think that 50 feet of parachute cord is excessive? Can't remember how much rope I brought with me, but I really don't think it was 50 feet.

Lose some cord and maybe save enough weight to add a couple of Snickers to the food list!

C-Stepper
01-12-2007, 08:10
Noticed a Jetboil on your list.

I don't own one (but, I may use my REI dividend later this year to get one...still mulling it over).

One of the downsides of the Jetboil is poor performance in colder temps. It's not the only stove like this!

You may want to experiment before you leave, as it would suck to find out two days out at elevation in the snow that you can't cook your food. As I haven't owned one, I wouldn't be one to ask what measures to take to get better performance from this stove. Maybe you could post a separate thread to get some help with this.

...and, good luck. I'm very, very jealous of your opportunity! Last kid graduates from high school in 2010! :cool:

iamscottym
01-12-2007, 09:17
C-stepper. Canister stoves work better at altitude, because atmospheric pressure is lower but the pressure in the canister (vapor pressure of the fuel) is the same as it was at sea level.

The jetboil (as do all canister stoves) does suffer in the cold, but you can warm the can up in your sleeping bag or with your hands and it's no big deal. I'm sure you already knew this, though.

MrHappy
01-12-2007, 10:06
I'm heading out in a few hours, just checking to see if I got some any last minute advice.

Re the jetboil in cold temps: With the normal fuel canisters, it was very finicky and I had to hold one canister in my crotch to warm it up while I used the other, and switch every few minutes. This was in 17 degrees F. I switched to the "four season" blend and it has worked great in -20. Just warm it up in your sleeping bag first as iamscotty suggested.