PDA

View Full Version : Trek Poles vs The old Hiking Stick

Mags
01-10-2007, 03:25
One option is to use a pair of ski poles. For the princely sum of ~$10, you get something that works just as well as a "trekking poles" for about $90 less.

Any goodwill or used sporting goods store should have them.

They do not adjust, but I see that as a plus! Collapsible poles tend to collapse at the wrong time!

I did use it a hiking stick on the AT. It has a place of honor and my metal ski poles will never have the same "feel". Just find it easier to use ski poles overall.

rafe
01-10-2007, 08:50
One option is to use a pair of ski poles. For the princely sum of ~$10, you get something that works just as well as a "trekking poles" for about $90 less.

FWIW, Campmor "Voyager (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=21854782&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1)" trekking poles (made by Leki) are $50.

warren doyle
01-10-2007, 10:22
The closer 'leave no trace' alternative:

$1 used ski pole (you only need one) from a thrift store.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 10:23
FWIW, Campmor "Voyager (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=21854782&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1)" trekking poles (made by Leki) are $50.

Still too much$$.

rafe
01-10-2007, 10:27

Presumably some hiker got the benefit of the lone pole I left behind at Chestnut Knob shelter, in 1990.

Mags
01-10-2007, 14:19

What time machine are you using to buy a $1 ski pole? :) Perhaps RI was a little more pricey in c.1998 vs. whereever you purchased yours. I can understand this area (CO) being more expensive as used equip. is in larger demand.

No, $5-$10 seems about the going rate.

ALso, be careful telling people what they need. Everyone is different. Giving your opinion is not fact. You may need one.... Someone else may prefer two.

Point being, $50 is still too expensive when you can get goodwill alternatives for much less.

warren doyle
01-10-2007, 15:57
No need for a time machine on the $1 ski pole purchase. I have purchased about two dozen for that price in the last three weeks.
Being a non-profit enabler/middleman, I then sell them to prospective hikers for $1.
My opinion is a fact to me based on my experience; my opinions serve only as suggestions/advice to others.
Perhaps you should be careful in assuming that I am not aware of the previous sentence above.

headchange4u
01-10-2007, 17:30
I have a set of Leki poles that I bought used. I like them a lot but a friend of mine cut me a set out of Red Alder and I think I like them better than my Lekis. I just need to find some way to shod the end to protect them from the ground.

Gadog430
01-10-2007, 17:36
Not at that shelter, but I did get one that was left at Trail Days. I wonder if it knows your missing pole?

Dawg

Presumably some hiker got the benefit of the lone pole I left behind at Chestnut Knob shelter, in 1990.

weary
01-10-2007, 17:40
I have a set of Leki poles that I bought used. I like them a lot but a friend of mine cut me a set out of Red Alder and I think I like them better than my Lekis. I just need to find some way to shod the end to protect them from the ground. Go to any hardware store and buy rubber crutch tips, with openings slightly smaller than the bottom of the sticks. Then just carve the bottoms for a tight fit.

rafe
01-10-2007, 17:46
Not at that shelter, but I did get one that was left at Trail Days. I wonder if it knows your missing pole?

Dawg

IIRC, Chestnut Knob is north of Damascus... ;)

Mags
01-10-2007, 18:18
Perhaps you should be careful in assuming that I am not aware of the previous sentence above.

Perhaps making it a bit more explicity..'eh?

Saying "you only need one" along with "My opinion is a fact to me based on my experience" sounds a bit er..domagtic. ;)

If you meant it otherwise, than boo on me!

In any case, glad you could find this stash of $1 poles! Good for you!

Most of us mere mortals will have to put up with $5-$10 (for a pair) and counts ourselves lucky. Which is fact based on my experience! :D

Vi+
01-10-2007, 19:44
“... glad you could find this stash of $1 poles! ... Most of us ... will have to put up with $5-$10 (for a pair) ...

Let’s see, one pair of ski poles for $5.00; less $2.00 for two poles bought singly (without shipping and handling fees). We use one and keep the other for replacement; dividing the difference of $3.00 by two

All this “P”ing and moaning over $1.50.

Come on guys, you love each other.

Time for a group hug.

SalParadise
01-10-2007, 20:22
no kidding, lighten up guys.

I found an awesome pair of bamboo X-country poles for $1, too. they were great, and so easy to find at a shelter with 10 other people, too.

Monkeyboy
01-11-2007, 22:35
I use a hiking stave.....call me old fashioned, but I'm going hiking, not skiing.

Not to mention, hiking medallions are becoming more popular over here in the States....got a ton of them from Germany, Italy, Austria, Luxembourg, France, etc......

Place them on your stave and now you have a little memento to go everywhere with you to remember your past adventures. Not to mention, it's a great conversation starter. People will come up to you to start the conversation just to look your stave over at the neat little medallions. Get to meet a lot of interesting people that way.

Monkeyboy
01-11-2007, 22:37
Not to mention...pretty soon I'm going to have to retire this one soon....too many medallions. Only have a couple open spots left......

C'est l'vie......just have to get a new stave and buy more medallions......

Must be rough.... :)