PDA

View Full Version : commando all the way?

RumPrint
01-10-2007, 10:26
We're all gear heads with a dirty side right? So in an effort to save weight and space, I have thrown around the idea of ditching any sort of under garments south of the border (besides emergency long underwear) and relying on shorts with a liner. What are the pros and cons of that one? Clean yourself, clean the shorts, got it. Any other contributions are welcome...

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 10:31
I ain't wore no underwear going on 25 years now. don't wanna keep your boys all bunched up.

MOWGLI
01-10-2007, 10:33
...in an effort to save weight and space, I have thrown around the idea of ditching any sort of under garments south of the border (besides emergency long underwear) and relying on shorts with a liner. What are the pros and cons of that one? Clean yourself, clean the shorts, got it. Any other contributions are welcome...

:welcome Liners chew me up. I suggest you figure this out for yourself when you get to the trail.

To save weight though??? :-?

RumPrint
01-10-2007, 10:37
save weight not carrying extra understuff ya know?
chaffage may be a whole separate post

Footslogger
01-10-2007, 10:39
Best decision I ever made. Just one more thing to wash.

'Slogger

Johnny Swank
01-10-2007, 11:08
Maximum air flow keeps the chafe down.

bigcranky
01-10-2007, 11:33
Hiking or running shorts with liners work well for me. I haven't carried underwear hiking in years.

Outlaw
01-10-2007, 11:46
Hiking or running shorts with liners work well for me. I haven't carried underwear hiking in years.

I don't know why, but I find those liners tend to gravitate northward on me and have caused me some rather uncomfortable cases of monkey butt (especially if wearing rain pants over the shorts with liners!).

I cut them out and either go commando or use those thin biking-style shorts underneath my hiking shorts or pants.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-10-2007, 11:49
The she dino hikes in a skirt commando in the summer - great air flow and no chafing. have tried shorts with a liner and got chafed.

KG4FAM
01-10-2007, 12:14
...and relying on shorts with a liner.
shorts with a liner isn't commando, it is just shorts and attached underpants. if you are actually going to save the weight, you have to ditch the liners too.

Sly
01-10-2007, 12:14
I thought I'd like liners but... had the tip of my weannie bleed through my pants because of them! :eek: I cut them out and ended up buying cotton boxers to help with chafing and wore them the entire trail.

D'Artagnan
01-10-2007, 12:31
I thought I'd like liners but... had the tip of my winnie bleed through my pants because of them! :eek: I cut them out and ended up buying cotton boxers to help with chafing and wore them the entire trail.

Damn, I'm wincing and writhing in pain just reading that!!! YIKES! :eek:

Vi+
01-10-2007, 12:40
One day, fairly “off season” for hikers, I was hiking along the AT, wearing a new pair of shorts with a liner. I had hiked some miles without seeing anyone and couldn’t take it anymore. I pulled my shorts out in front of me with my left hand and vigorously stabbed down into the front of them, holding my sheath knife in my right hand, to pierce the liner and begin freeing it from my shorts.

Hikers appeared. They stared in disbelief. “Cutting out the liner,” I croaked, my voice breaking, as they cautiously walked by me giving me a wide berth.

Underwear; don’t leave home with them.

PS, Sly, "Winnie?" You didn't give it a girl's name did you?

Sly
01-10-2007, 12:40
The she dino hikes in a skirt commando in the summer - great air flow and no chafing. have tried shorts with a liner and got chafed.

Ha, we'll have to change your name to Paris or Britany! :p

Sly
01-10-2007, 12:42
PS, Sly, "Winnie?" You didn't give it a girl's name did you?

It was D'artagan that spelt it wrong! ;)

PJ 2005
01-10-2007, 12:48
l like a pair of light boxer briefs. They offer the comfort - and support - I so desparately need. Much much more effective than a liner in that department.

jmaclennan
01-10-2007, 12:52
i vote commando. it worked for me. just a pair of soccer shorts (like umbros). had some chafing at times, but don't think underwear would have helped.

Traction
01-10-2007, 12:53
I thought I'd like liners but... had the tip of my weannie bleed through my pants because of them! :eek: I cut them out and ended up buying cotton boxers to help with chafing and wore them the entire trail.

haha.. oh man i just started dying. I know exactly what you mean. One time in the Shennies i was wearing an old pair of adidas soccer shorts with just the liner.. it started raining.. and oooooh man. It was like sand paper. I strapped my poles to my pack and used my hands to hold the front of my shorts away from my stuff.. i remember stopping into one of the waysides and wrapping myself with toilet paper down there.. haha, i had nothing else.. the wayside wasn't open.. just the bathrooms (i wasn't carrying toilet paper).. anyway. wow, i looked like a mummy below my waist.. and that worked for a bout 0.5 miles when the rain made the toilet paper fall apart.. agony. i had to pull about 25 miles holding my shorts out in front of me and waddling like a duck until i got to the car. :eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-10-2007, 13:30
Ha, we'll have to change your name to Paris or Britany! :p:eek: ::: Bites Sly on good ankle ::: :eek:

greentick
01-10-2007, 14:04
Almost 20yrs now freeballin in all environments. Any chafing that occured would have happened no matter what I was wearing.

Footslogger
01-10-2007, 14:09
In the now somewhat famous words of Seinfeld ...

"I'm out there, and I'm loving it" !!

'Slogger

Mags
01-10-2007, 14:10
I always cut the liner out of my shorts for my long hikes. Otherwise, I find I get too much chafing.

VictoriaM
01-10-2007, 14:16
Pardon me if this question is too personal...but doesn't all the bouncing hurt? If I had what y'all have, I wouldn't be setting it free like that.

Footslogger
01-10-2007, 14:17
Pardon me if this question is too personal...but doesn't all the bouncing hurt? If I had what y'all have, I wouldn't be setting it free like that.
========================

Only if you get into a jogging pace ...

'Slogger

yappy
01-10-2007, 14:25
I don't wear undies either.... liners are fine for me. I don't wear them at all actually, unless I am in a summer dress of course. Who the heck wears underwear ??!!!....must be the island girl in me.. haven't since high school. SHUT UP Sly !:sun

Sly
01-10-2007, 14:32
SHUT UP Sly !:sun

You don't wear undies? :banana

Mags
01-10-2007, 14:33
========================

Only if you get into a jogging pace ...

'Slogger

Which is why I wear lined shorts on runs.

Hiking = no liner
Runs = liner

Footslogger
01-10-2007, 14:35
Which is why I wear lined shorts on runs.

Hiking = no liner
Runs = liner

===========================

Are you saying that it's important to wear a liner when you have the runs ??

'Slogger

VictoriaM
01-10-2007, 14:37
I don't wear undies either.... liners are fine for me. I don't wear them at all actually, unless I am in a summer dress of course. Who the heck wears underwear ??!!!....must be the island girl in me.. haven't since high school. SHUT UP Sly !:sun

I'm with you on that, they're damned uncomfortable. But then, I don't have dangley bits to protect. :D

Footslogger
01-10-2007, 14:44
\ But then, I don't have dangley bits to protect. :D

==========================

Maybe that needs to be added to the "Terms" thread.

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-10-2007, 14:44
I wish I could talk the he-dino into giving commando a spin. It took me forever to get the ol' boy outta his cotton tiddy-whities and into synthetic boxer briefs for hiking.

'slogger, bits is a pretty common Euro term for man-parts.

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 14:55
I almost hate to say this but on the trail, it's a matter of practicality. Spandex shorts. No need for the extra weight of the undergarment. Keeps all internal issues under control. Dries well enough at night. Less garments to pack. Would I run it past the folks on the sidewalk in my hometown? No.
But I wouldn't run the other issues my body/self becomes/collects past them either. They are just plain comfortable.

Footslogger
01-10-2007, 15:02
I almost hate to say this but on the trail, it's a matter of practicality. Spandex shorts. No need for the extra weight of the undergarment. Keeps all internal issues under control. Dries well enough at night. Less garments to pack. Would I run it past the folks on the sidewalk in my hometown? No.
But I wouldn't run the other issues my body/self becomes/collects past them either. They are just plain comfortable.

==================================

I see more and more hikers wearing spandex. Haven't tried it so my comments are all speculative ...but to me at least, it seems like they'd be warm and confining ??

'Slogger

MOWGLI
01-10-2007, 15:04
I sometimes wear Underarmor spandex-type shorts under my hiking shorts. Saved me big time on the JMT this summer.

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 15:12
The best I can say is give them a try. They seem to roll with the temp, although on especially hot days I would change to a dry pair at lunch. They just seem to cut out on any extra garments you might be tempted to bring. All in one pants really, and most hikers seem to be forgiving if there is such a thing as a fashion faux-pas on the trail. I'm heading SOBO again in June w/ spandex in tow unless someone convinces me of a better system.:) :)

yappy
01-10-2007, 15:13
Maybe we could just in underwear ! We would all sure be purty...lol

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-10-2007, 15:13
Before I got my thunder-thighs under control (via weight loss), I used spandex running shorts to keep the upper thighs from rubbing each other raw -- it worked. However, the nether regions did get hot and uncomfy in those at times. I seem to remember reading one of the ladies cut the crotch out of a pair to have the best of both worlds.

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 15:17
Before I got my thunder-thighs under control (via weight loss), I used spandex running shorts to keep the upper thighs from rubbing each other raw -- it worked. However, the nether regions did get hot and uncomfy in those at times. I seem to remember reading one of the ladies cut the crotch out of a pair to have the best of both worlds.

Oh my God - I just spit ramen noodles all over my keyboard. That is hilarious. But seriously, another great attribute is that they do protect your inner thighs from rub rash, which even the more svelte folks experience on long, hot hiking days. If you've ever suffered from this you might find it the best reason of all to try the spandex.
:sun

Footslogger
01-10-2007, 15:20
Do they make spandex shorts with a fly front ??

'Slogger

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 15:23
Do they make spandex shorts with a fly front ??

'Slogger

I don't know if I've ever seen them but if access is an issue, you will find when you're wearing them that it is not an issue.:) :) :)

Michele
01-10-2007, 15:23
I vote for spandex as well. $5.00 at Wally world. If doing anything that results in sweat, I wear them to keep the chub-rub under control at my inner thighs. The other thing I like about them is that I can take my hiking pants off and have an instant bathing suit for swimming on those hot days. Dries fast too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-10-2007, 15:24
I think Champion brand sold at Target make some that are sold as underwear with a front fly, but the material they're made from would keep you covered if you used them as shorts. As others have noted, were aren't on the catwalk when on the AT.

Michele
01-10-2007, 15:26
I As others have noted, were aren't on the catwalk when on the AT.

What? We're not? Damn...I guess I should remove my 6" pumps from my pack then? :D

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 15:26
I vote for spandex as well. $5.00 at Wally world. If doing anything that results in sweat, I wear them to keep the chub-rub under control at my inner thighs. The other thing I like about them is that I can take my hiking pants off and have an instant bathing suit for swimming on those hot days. Dries fast too.

Interesting, the going commando thread that seems irresistible to readers. Like I say though, with the spandex you need neither undies or hiking pants. And you can swim in them as well and don a dtry pair when you're done.:) :)

Outlaw
01-10-2007, 15:35
Interesting, the going commando thread that seems irresistible to readers. Like I say though, with the spandex you need neither undies or hiking pants. And you can swim in them as well and don a dtry pair when you're done.:) :)

kinda like wash 'n wear... but why change after swimming? I find that Spandex material dries pretty quickly.

Sweat, which contains salts and other minerals is a good reason for changing as it is highly abrasive on the skin, but after swimming, most of that would be washed out of the material and your good to go.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-10-2007, 15:35
What? We're not? Damn...I guess I should remove my 6" pumps from my pack then? :DGirl, I'd pay to see you hiking in 6" pumps. :D

Michele
01-10-2007, 15:37
Girl, I'd pay to see you hiking in 6" pumps. :D

Hmmmm......how much? Maybe I could quit my job sooner! :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-10-2007, 15:38
::: PM's everybody on WB to collect money :::

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 15:41
kinda like wash 'n wear... but why change after swimming? I find that Spandex material dries pretty quickly.

Sweat, which contains salts and other minerals is a good reason for changing as it is higly abrasive on the skin, but after swimming, most of that would be washed out of the material and your good to go.

Excellent point except that if you're going the spandex route you will want to put dry ones on eventually for the sake of your skin. Prolonged contact with the wet spandex can cause umm. . . complexion problems on your legs and ummm. . . butt. Changing into dry ones alleviates this possibility.:) :)

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 15:43
Hmmmm......how much? Maybe I could quit my job sooner! :D

I've given this some thought and I don't think seeing someone hiking in pumps would be nearly exciting as you might think. Now a bikini, that would be something!!:) :) :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-10-2007, 15:46
I've given this some thought and I don't think seeing someone hiking in pumps would be nearly exciting as you might think. Now a bikini, that would be something!!:) :) :)For you maybe, but Michele isn't my type. Now if we can get the he-dino to wear a speedo....

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 15:52
For you maybe, but Michele isn't my type. Now if we can get the he-dino to wear a speedo....
Well, there it is then, all in the eye of the beholder. But if that's really a picture of Michelle it seems she would be everyone's type!!:) :)

MOWGLI
01-10-2007, 15:53
Dashing Through the snow.
On the trail I'm on my way
O'er the hills I go.
Commando all the way

(OK - someone take over from here)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-10-2007, 15:55
Bells on Mowgli ring....

(I couldn't resist -too easy :D)

Footslogger
01-10-2007, 15:57
Jingle Balls ...Jingle Balls ...Jingle All the Way !!

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 15:58
But this one guy has us all beat. As Buddah, True Grit and I were hiking through Vermont we came across this 60 something couple who were obviously day-hiking. He was wearing their day pack - and that is all. It was interesting as we stopped to talk to them, especially as we pulled off a good five minute conversation with them without anyone alluding to the fact that the husband was wearing nothing but his day pack and trail runners. That would cut way down on your pack weight for a thru-hike!!
:) :) :)

Almost There
01-10-2007, 16:08
Sorry but the liner on shorts started to rub my bag o' marbles raw!:eek: Patagonia has a pair of boxer briefs that are a little bit longer than the standard capilene. This coupled with body glide applied liberally has kept the frank and beans safe for when I return home to the wife.:banana

Hiked one day commando in Va this past summer, underwear was riding up...will say with my kilt kept me plenty cool, but I still get the rubs and the beginnings of monkey butt!

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 16:16
Dashing Through the snow.
On the trail I'm on my way
O'er the hills I go.
Commando all the way

(OK - someone take over from here)

Let my freedom sing
My spirit feeling bright
Oh what fun it is to hike
Commando day and night

UK-Blue
01-10-2007, 17:05
I've given this some thought and I don't think seeing someone hiking in pumps would be nearly exciting as you might think. Now a bikini, that would be something!!:) :) :)

I can't wait for naked hiker day. Good thing it's in June and not March.......

Michele
01-10-2007, 17:32
Well, there it is then, all in the eye of the beholder. But if that's really a picture of Michelle it seems she would be everyone's type!!:) :)

I wish.......:p

leeki pole
01-10-2007, 17:39
I wish I could talk the he-dino into giving commando a spin. It took me forever to get the ol' boy outta his cotton tiddy-whities and into synthetic boxer briefs for hiking.

'slogger, bits is a pretty common Euro term for man-parts.
A day or two ago
I thought I'd take a hike
And soon she-froly dino
Was hiking by my side
She told me not to wear
Those tighty whitie briefs
But dinos have such short memories
That I got a rash, good grief!
:sun

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 18:08
I wish.......:p

Well that's not really my silouhette on top of a mountain either, although right now. . . I wish. . . that that's where my silhouette was. With my pack. Looking for a place to camp. But June 1st will be here soon enough, I guess.:)

Mags
01-10-2007, 18:12
===========================

Are you saying that it's important to wear a liner when you have the runs ??

'Slogger

That..or lots of TP.

Footslogger
01-10-2007, 18:27
That..or lots of TP.

======================

...and here I thought your answer was going to be "Depends" !!

'Slogger

Mags
01-10-2007, 18:28
======================

...and here I thought your answer was going to be "Depends" !!

'Slogger

Oh god! That was a good one! :)

Bravo
01-10-2007, 18:37
I've suffered from liners too.

I'll commando at home and work but I like sapndex for hiking. No itchy burny nonsense on my inner thighs. I do wear shorts or pants over them though because I don't like to be without pockets.

Spandex with pockets would be pretty funny.

neo
01-10-2007, 18:42
We're all gear heads with a dirty side right? So in an effort to save weight and space, I have thrown around the idea of ditching any sort of under garments south of the border (besides emergency long underwear) and relying on shorts with a liner. What are the pros and cons of that one? Clean yourself, clean the shorts, got it. Any other contributions are welcome...

:D i am overly endowed i need the support that underwear provide:cool: neo

Bravo
01-10-2007, 18:45

But no one can ever see it because its camouflaged. LOL:D

aroth87
01-10-2007, 19:21
I wore nothing but lined swimming trunks for a week straight canoing in the Boundary Waters. There was a little chaffage, but I survived. Mostly I hike in a pair of boxer briefs but I have been known to wear running shorts from time-to-time (namely to finals and when its snowing).
I was hiking one day, and it must have been 100 F, so I decided to take off some clothes. I started with my shirt, but that wasn't enough. I hadn't seen anyone else on the trail, so I stepped off behind a rock, dropped my drawers and threw my undies in the pack. It was really comfortable and I actually forgot to put them back on once I got in my car. When I disrobed at home I was surprised to find I wasn't wearing them.
I was eyeing some running shorts at the store they other day though... they were so light :D.

Adam

neo
01-10-2007, 20:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=301116#post301116)

But no one can ever see it because its camouflaged. LOL:D

now thats funny:cool: neo