PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Scout Jamboree

RadioFreq
01-10-2007, 12:14
I just saw two new threads re: Scouting pop up. So I thought I would add a third:

I am planning on being at Springer Mtn in early March of 2010, going as far NOBO as I can by the end of July, returning to VA to work the Jamboree, then go back to where I left off to complete my AT thru hike.

Are any of you Scout Leaders here on WB going to the 2010 Jamboree, either as a member of a contingent, to work on staff or just to visit? I'm thinking this would be a great opportunity to get together and put faces to trail names....sort of a ruck within a ruck.

rafe
01-10-2007, 12:26
People plan ***** three years ahead????

Blissful
01-10-2007, 12:53

Why not? I've been planning my hike on the AT for thirty years.

Besides there was a thread of people who are looking at a hike in 2010. And this guy is excited to get something going. Why put a lance in it?

Someone ostracized me for getting a journal together four years ago and even thinking about the AT then.
Guess, what. The four years have passed. Already.

BTW - my hubby is an up and coming Boy Scout leader (will take over next year). So he may very well be interested in the jamboree.

The Weasel
01-10-2007, 12:53
You know, Terrapin, that's my point about vulgarity in places in the General part of WhiteBlaze, especially, and even more so in a thread that focuses on (and likely will be viewed by) youth. Give it a rest. If you feel the need for such things, go to another forum.

As for the main point, yes, emphatically. I've been a Scouter since I was 18, and attended '60 (Colorado Springs) and '64 (Valley Forge), as well as led two as a leader to AP Hill ('89, '93). Nothing gonna keep me away from the 100th Anniversary one, esp 50 years after my first! Not impossible that we could get an OK for a WB booth there then, or perhaps WB could sponsor/staff a Backpacking MB booth in one of the midways. Not to soon to investigate that, if you (and anyone else) is interested.

The Weasel

totally Boagus
01-10-2007, 13:13
The Weasel,
if it's at A.P. Hill, Im just an hour south. Even though my son will Eagle and age out before then, I would be willing to help and organize from this side of the country.
TB

The Weasel
01-10-2007, 13:23
The Weasel,
if it's at A.P. Hill, Im just an hour south. Even though my son will Eagle and age out before then, I would be willing to help and organize from this side of the country.
TB
Boag - They are all at AP Hill, and '10 is almost certain to be there too.

The Weasel

totally Boagus
01-10-2007, 13:31
After the accidents and heat related problems that happened last time I thought they would move. But the site is good. It would be better I guess to find a site in the middle of the country.

Ridge Rat
01-10-2007, 13:58
The reason for it being at Fort A.P. Hill is simple: The BSA pays $1 for the use of the land for the jamboree.

RadioFreq
01-10-2007, 14:03
After the accidents and heat related problems that happened last time I thought they would move. But the site is good. It would be better I guess to find a site in the middle of the country.

I've worked the last two Jamborees at the radio station (QBSA) and was right in the middle of the heat debacle at the last one. This is not the time and place to get me ranting on that foul up and the reasons behind it. :mad: (Ironic coincidence alert: My Steep and Cheap alert box just popped up with a hydration pack on sale...how weird is that!)

And, yes, National Jamborees are held at Fort A P Hill near Bowling Green VA. It happens every 4 years....except for this one which was moved back one year so it would coincide with the 100th Anniversary of Scouting. I am intriqued by the response to this thread so far. When we get closer I will plan on raising this issue again (summer of 2009?) and see if we can all coordinate our plans.

Creek Dancer
01-10-2007, 14:13
I've worked the last two Jamborees at the radio station (QBSA) and was right in the middle of the heat debacle at the last one. This is not the time and place to get me ranting on that foul up and the reasons behind it. :mad: (Ironic coincidence alert: My Steep and Cheap alert box just popped up with a hydration pack on sale...how weird is that!)

And, yes, National Jamborees are held at Fort A P Hill near Bowling Green VA. It happens every 4 years....except for this one which was moved back one year so it would coincide with the 100th Anniversary of Scouting. I am intriqued by the response to this thread so far. When we get closer I will plan on raising this issue again (summer of 2009?) and see if we can all coordinate our plans.

My son attended the Jamboree in 2001 (I think that was the year). He has now made Eagle and has gone off to college (...sniff). I was very much involved with my son's troop and was fortunate to experience Philmont with him and other scouts. Anyway, if you need help with getting on and off the AT or any other logistics, let me know. I would be glad to help out. I live about an hour from A.P. Hill.

cindy

cannonball
01-10-2007, 14:19
IN as a proud father of a now 12 year old 1st class scout. Looking at national Jambo as the crowning jewel to my boy and I's scouting experience together.

IdahoDavid
01-10-2007, 15:30
You know you Scouts and Scouters are always welcome to come back to Idaho. Farragut State Park is still there as are the Friendship Poles errected, I believe, in 1969. I was a visitor there in '69 when the astronauts on the way to the moon talked to the Scouts at the Jamboree by radio hookup. Was anybody else there? Anyway, I've always thought that it was unfortunate to make A.P. Hill the permanent site for the natl. jamb. Kind of left us Westerners with the short end of the stick.

RadioFreq
01-11-2007, 14:30
You know you Scouts and Scouters are always welcome to come back to Idaho. Farragut State Park is still there as are the Friendship Poles errected, I believe, in 1969. I was a visitor there in '69 when the astronauts on the way to the moon talked to the Scouts at the Jamboree by radio hookup. Was anybody else there? Anyway, I've always thought that it was unfortunate to make A.P. Hill the permanent site for the natl. jamb. Kind of left us Westerners with the short end of the stick.

Yeah, I agree, it would be nice if it moved around again. But money talks and Ridge Rat is right about BSA getting to use Fort A.P. hill for next to nothing.
BTW I am flying to Salt Lake City and driving up to Sun Valley for business the week of Feb. 12th. Where exactly is Faragut State Park? I have some extra time and am thinking about taking a winter day hike while up there.

IdahoDavid
01-11-2007, 15:38
Farragut is about half-hour drive north of Coeur d'Alene -- up in the panhandle area. Turn north off of Highway 95 at Athol (ryhmes with Anuth!). There is a nice little museum at the park headquarters and they ccan give you information about trails.

TN_Hiker
01-11-2007, 16:46

Perhaps that is why the national headquarters is in TX and the crown jewel in NM :banana