PDA

View Full Version : Favorite State on the AT

Kerosene
06-25-2003, 18:16
As difficult as it may be, select your favorite state that the AT passes through. Feel free to provide rationale for your decision, as well as the time of year you enjoyed most.

I've listed North Carolina and Tennessee as the same state, since the Trail runs along the border much of the way.

Finally, you should have at least hiked part of the state that you're choosing; none of this "I think this will be my favorite state" opinions!

celt
06-25-2003, 22:27
NC / TN because of the grassy balds, the experience of watching the forest come to life in April and May and as a northbounder the experience of thru hiking was so new and exciting that first month that I find myself thinking back to those days more than most.

Blue Jay
06-26-2003, 08:18
Greyson Highlands, Shenandoahs, Tinkers Cliffs, MacAffee's Knob, Dragons Tooth, Damascus, Waynesboro, I am in love with Virginia

MOWGLI
06-26-2003, 08:43
Bliss, with euphoria a close second.

asmtroop3
06-26-2003, 10:17
Although I haven't done more than a few sections yet in MA,
What I've seen and heard, the Green mountian state is something I look foward to.

Make a donation to the Jimmy Fund Walk for Cancer (https://www.jimmyfundwalkregistration.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=22672&lis=1&supId=5741195)

Weeknd
06-26-2003, 10:27
Well, I voted for NC/TN primarily because thats where I've done the most hiking and have the best memories. I started in NC too. It pulls me back like a magnet. I will say that I'm not making a negative statement about the other states. I've only hiked in GA, NC/TN and VA. I would love to do the whole thing so I could have an objective opinion. Think my wife would go for that? NAA!

Peaks
07-16-2003, 07:21
I'm often asked what is your favorite part of the AT. My reply is that it's like asking a mother which child she likes best, because every state has their attributes.

But, Maine is truely magical.

mongo
07-16-2003, 16:45
For me it PA. Why...because I asked Mrs Mongo to marry me at the Doyle that is why!

Mongo

TJ aka Teej
07-16-2003, 21:08
Hundreds of AT hikers every year walk almost two thousand miles to get to -- MAINE! :O)

smokymtnsteve
07-19-2003, 19:43
the Smokies and the rest of NC/Tn is so beautiful...why go anywhere else!

warren doyle
09-09-2003, 12:52
Maine - challenging at first; contemplative later (northbound) all in beautiful surroundings - forest, moss, rock outcroppings, streams, waterfalls, rivers, timberline, fresh smelling air (except in the Mahoosucs), sandy beaches, waves and whitecaps, wildlife, swimming places galore, and glimpses of the 'holy mountain'.

Virginian
09-09-2003, 22:27
Maine. But do yourself a favor and keep the "Hundred miles" just that. Its a better experience in my opinion.

White Blaze/Pack on Back

RedneckRye
11-27-2003, 13:24
Vermont, because when you are headed NB you stop crossing roads every 3 or 4 miles when you cross into the GMNF. Also, the woods seem to smell better. Oh yeah, The Inn At Long Trail. Skip the relo and head directly there for a pint and some Guinness Stew.

mdionne
11-27-2003, 20:10
maine, no doubt about it.

Pirate
12-10-2003, 12:47
As difficult as it may be, select your favorite state that the AT passes through. Feel free to provide rationale for your decision, as well as the time of year you enjoyed most.

I've listed North Carolina and Tennessee as the same state, since the Trail runs along the border much of the way.

Finally, you should have at least hiked part of the state that you're choosing; none of this "I think this will be my favorite state" opinions!
I don't see Florida or Kentucky on this list!!!

Kerosene
12-10-2003, 13:31
I don't see Florida or Kentucky on this list!!!

That's because the AT doesn't run through either Florida or Kentucky, Pirate.

A-Train
12-10-2003, 19:15
Peaks that analogy to a mother picking her favorite child is excellent ! Never want to hurt any states feeelings!

I really can't decide- top 2 would be:

Maine-truly special scenary and feeling as you contemplate the end as a NOBO. For me the maine woods really transformed into a special feeling somewhere aroundd Caratunk. And all the Trail towns are pretty unique unlike any other state.

Virginia-such a diverse state with so much different scenary to offer (because of its length). From the obvious like the Grayson Highlands and Shenendoah to the less like the area just south and north of Catawba (which i thought was a gem) and really the whole stretch from Daleville to Waynsboro (Jennings Creek, Apple Orchard Mountain, James River, Punchbowl, Cold Mtn, Tar JackeT Ridge, The priest and the three ridges and Tye River).

Honorable mention goes to Jersey and New Hampshire. Many a thru-hiker couldn't believe how 'wild' and pretty jersey is. The ridge walking in the state as well as wildlife is pretty neat IMO
And the Whites speak for themselves.

Cedar Tree
12-10-2003, 19:49
New Jersey
It was the most diverse....mountains, cow pastures, bog logs, roads...a little taste of everything.
Cedar Tree

greyowl
12-11-2003, 11:47
What are you thinking of? My favorite state on the AT is Pennsy. Rocks, heat humidity, rattle snakes and no water. What more could an ex-ranger ask for?

Grey Owl

Jester2000
12-11-2003, 19:06
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Walkin Home will pick Maine. Hmmmmm. . .

Jaybird
01-20-2004, 09:24
my favorite state on the A.T. is............

...whichever one i'm currently hiking! :D

which would be (in 2004) TN/NC

see ya'll UP the trail!

Kozmic Zian
02-08-2004, 14:13
Maine, no doubt.

Kozmic Zian
02-08-2004, 14:22
Well now, they all have their own true uniqueness..... I live in VA...a long way from Damascus to Harpers...all beautiful on the Blue Ridge. The Grayson Highlands in the south, Big Walker, Dragon Tooth, McAfee Knob, The Blue Ridge, SNP, The 'Rollercoaster, Potomac River, Harpers Ferry...all just wonderful.
But Maine.....That's another batch 0' Apples. The Mahoosucs, Saddlebacks, Bigalows, moss, rocks, fords & streams, lakes, towns, Shaws, Wilderness and of course The Greatest Mt. Just too much to deny! Definitely Maine is Hikers Paradise!

weary
02-08-2004, 15:03
But, Maine is truely magical.

I'm prejudiced, I know, but conversations with thru hikers over the years convince me that Maine is the favorite state of a big majority of those who have hiked the entire trail.

The trail in Maine is also among the most threatened. In places the trail corridor is only 200 feet wide. Maine provides an illusion of wilderness because the trail goes through what has traditionally been a commercial forest.

Unfortunately, the paper companies are selling their forests to speculators, investors and developers as rapidly as they can. Almost 30 percent of the land mass of the state has changed hands in the past four or five years. Some of the lands have been picked up by groups like AMC, and the Nature Conservancy. But the bulk has been purchased by investors seeking a profit, which realistically means development.

A few of us have gotten together to form the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust to broaden the AT corridor to a mile, at least. We are just now getting underway with our first major project -- completion of the purchase of the ridgeline of Mount Abraham north of Saddleback, and to pick up some of the southerly slopes of Saddleback, which are on the market.

For information on these efforts or to become a founding member just write to the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust, PO Box 325, Yarmouth, Maine 04096.

Dues for founders are $100. Regular member dues are $35. But we take donations in any amount. Dues and donations are all tax deductible. We are still awaiting for appraisals to be completed, but just our tiny Abraham-Saddleback effort will cost probably $300,000.

Other lands in the Western Mountains that are being sold will cost us an estimated $5-$6 million.

We are off to a good start. Our advisory committee includes Congressman Tom Allen of Maine; Leon Gorman, the guy who took over LL Beans after the death of his grandfather and turned it into one of the premier outdoor stores; and ATC's and MATC's Dave Field.

Our board includes three thru hikers, Milt Wright, Tony Barrett, and Deane Jones and me, who walked from Georgia to Katahdin, but who doesn't claim thru hiker status for reasons too complicated to go into here.

Weary

rambunny
02-08-2004, 16:45
The one i'm in at the time

Footslogger
02-09-2004, 13:28
Probably one of the hardest questions for me to answer. Let me start at the bottom of the list ...Pennsylvania.

That said, I'd have to admit that I realy thought New Hampshire was amazing. I liked every state (exception noted above) for different reasons. However, I remember the day I climbed Moosilake ...all I could think of was that THIS was why I was out there. Just something about being above tree line and having a 360 degree view that takes the breath away. You could see where you had been and where you were headed. After the previous 5 months of hiking quite often in a "green tunnel", New Hampshire felt like a reward. Ironic because it certainly wasn't easier than any of the other states.

Anyhow ...you asked and that's my honest answer.

Smooth03
02-09-2004, 14:22
For me the argument isn't which is your favorite state? But rather which is your favorite state other than Maine. Just my opinion.

I'm gonna go out on a limb again here when I say that I loved Massachussetts. The middle valley did suck and was super buggy but I was so surprised by the Berkshires. Race Mt, Jugend, and those others were just amazing for me. I also had some uber awesome trail magic in Mass. including the Cookie Lady, a random women giving me 20 bucks, and a family taking me in for the night in great barrington.

To be honest I thought all the states had good qualities excepting PA and even then Southern PA wasn't horrible.

Kerosene
02-09-2004, 16:55
I walked through southern Massachusetts and Connecticut in March 1975, with 6-12 inches of snow on the northern slopes. The "middle valley" was actually quite pleasant at that time of year; it was certainly warmer than in the hills and the sun was out as we strolled along the Housatonic.

Jersey Bob
03-25-2004, 16:03
at least 10 characters

spanky
03-25-2004, 16:38
Maine... I hiked it SOBO in '02 and lost 16 pounds of fat in the first two-weeks and hiked with Pete (he passed away on Mt. Washington but a few weeks after we began hiking together)

Spanky
www.pgmradio.org/hike4kids
SOBO '02

Motor City Rambler
04-25-2004, 13:42
I voted Maine but they all have their high points (especially New Jersey)

I vote Pennsylvania as the last state I would return to do any hiking. Not that there is anything inherently bad with Pa., it's just ............last on the list.

Tha Wookie
04-25-2004, 15:06
There's nothing like the climbs in GA - home sweet home:sun

Mountain Dew
04-26-2004, 04:47
I'm amazed at the number of people who mention New Jersey as their favorite. Did you people have bottled water or something ? Virginia and Maine are easy choices for my top two. Maine for obvious reasons and Virginia because:Greyson Highlands, Shenandoahs, Tinkers Cliffs, MacAffee's Knob, Dragons Tooth, Damascus....need I say more ?

Hood Ornament
05-23-2004, 10:24
New Hampshire because of it's challenges, especially to us Medicare hikers. Maine would be a close second.

Kerosene
05-23-2004, 14:02
There's nothing like the climbs in GA Maybe it's because I've hiked the AT in sections from central Virginia north into New Hampshire, but the Georgia section was comparatively easy. Now while I consider myself to be in pretty good shape for a middle-ager, I didn't have to stop on any ascents from Amicalola until I crossed the border into North Carolina.

ga2me9603
06-12-2004, 00:19
My favorite AT state?

Here's what this seven-year section hiker of the entire AT wrote on the back of a photograph showing him at the summit sign of Katahdin Sunday, August 31, 2003:

"Maine was the best of the 14 states of the AT. I'm glad I saved it for my grand finale. It had everything: high alpine-zone peaks; lush, thick woods; pristine lakes; river and stream fords; and, best of all, the greatest mountain, Katahdin."

Ramble~On
06-12-2004, 04:17
Hard Choice.

#1 Maine
#2 Virginia
#3 NC/TN

Really, for me it's a four way tie between the four states I listed.
This is a great thread cause it got me thinking hard about the trail.
brought back memeories of places I haven't thought about in years.
Maine is so special though it had to get my vote.

hiker5
08-17-2004, 21:09
I'm voting for the only state I've hiked the AT in, VA. But when the forty miles or so that i've covered include McAffee's Knob (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4127/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/500), Dragon's Tooth (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2758/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/500) , and Tinker cliffs, I'm pretty comfortable with calling it my favorite.

Kerosene
08-18-2004, 08:00
I'm voting for the only state I've hiked the AT in, VA. But when the forty miles or so that i've covered include McAffee's Knob (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4127/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/500), Dragon's Tooth (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2758/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/500) , and Tinker cliffs, I'm pretty comfortable with calling it my favorite.I've done just over half the AT, from Catawba, VA to Glencliff, NH, plus GA, and my section hike around Roanoke last Fall was probably my most scenic hike. But it looks like it will be a battle to keep civilization at bay much longer.

Nvyvetclgbd
08-28-2004, 00:16
Polls on the favorite state seems like a lot of wishful thinking-highest percentage haven't hike the AT yet-I hope we can all do it one day-guaranteed when I retire out of the NAVY it's gonna happen-I would rather hike 6 months then go outon a 6 month deployment-lol

Crash! Bang!
10-11-2004, 13:20
pa is my 14th favorite state, but number 1 is virginia. great food, great hostels, wildlife, variety of scenery and trail, dragons tooth, grayson, ponies, trail days. hells yea!

CRAZYPACE
11-10-2004, 15:17
Look at it this way. If you have'nt done the rocks of PA, you did'nt test your gear to its full potential. Not to mention the trail towns of PA are very, very
accommodating to Thru-hikers. Then again, I'm a bit bias.

2 cents
11-10-2004, 15:21
Absolutely, positively, MAINE!!

weary
11-10-2004, 15:22
Polls on the favorite state seems like a lot of wishful thinking-highest percentage haven't hike the AT yet-I hope we can all do it one day-guaranteed when I retire out of the NAVY it's gonna happen-I would rather hike 6 months then go outon a 6 month deployment-lol

I think we can safely add most of the "haven't hiked" votes and much of the southern state votes to the Maine total because a large percentage of such have never experienced the splendors of the Maine trail.

Weary

The Solemates
11-10-2004, 15:58
Its a toss-up of areas, rather than states:

NH-the Whites
ME-yea, pretty much the whole state
TN/NC-I grew up in the Smokies and still cant get enough
VA-I absolutely love the diversity of trail in this state.

Ridge
11-10-2004, 20:20
...and each of the 14 states has something special. Even the one day thru W.Va. I like Ga (my home) it was the beginning. Maine,for its beauty and it was the last. The poll is really unfair for all kinds of reasons ie: Different seasons, weather etc,etc,etc.....This was a loaded Poll!

I would like to do a winter thru-hike of the AT, It would be cool (ha ha).

swamp dawg
11-14-2004, 13:27
Va rules.......there is just so much of it to love.

broodX
11-14-2004, 13:40
PA, Because its my home state and damn it I LIKE ROCKS! Lehigh gap and the Palmerton superfund site. There is nothing like it anywhere else on the trail! I loved it. I mean it does suck that it is an ecological disaster area but it is just sooooooo awesome up there. Like you are on the surface of the moon.:cool:

Happy Feet
02-22-2005, 15:15
Well, this is sort of like eating Lay's potato chips. Who could pick just one? I had picked NH first, but in the end I had to go with TN/NC. I LOVE the magic of the balds and the Southern Appalachians. The Whites come in a real close second in my book, and of course I'm not suprised to see that Maine is coming in first. I'd pick those as my top 3.

Percival
02-22-2005, 15:43
Some of the poll answers have got to be phoney. New York the favorite state on the whole AT? And WV, all 10 miles of it?

kentucky
02-22-2005, 15:54
well what about conn.kentucky:datz

The Weasel
02-22-2005, 16:45
Georgia. I loved Georgia, and everything about it, but not until I looked back from the other side of the GA/NC sign. Damn!

The Weasel

c.coyle
02-22-2005, 17:18
Some of the poll answers have got to be phoney. New York the favorite state on the whole AT? And WV, all 10 miles of it?

I prefer them both to Maine and Virginia. Much better cell phone coverage.

Nvyvetclgbd
05-12-2005, 01:37
Did a day hike from baxter state park-to the foot of Katahdin while I was on vacation-what a view from the base of Katahdin-I know Maine would have many more splendors-take care

I think we can safely add most of the "haven't hiked" votes and much of the southern state votes to the Maine total because a large percentage of such have never experienced the splendors of the Maine trail.

Weary

TOW
05-12-2005, 09:39
I love Veromnt, but I am very fond of NC/TN as well. Brey Owl you are a nut.

Wanderer

neo
05-12-2005, 10:11
hard to say,i only have 3 more states to go,vt,nh,maine,plus 24 miles left in mass,virgina was the the longest,i love really pennsylvania,cant make my mind up.:cool: neo

Beegfut
06-04-2005, 16:47
Tough call. Every state has some great trail, even PA west of the 501 Shelter. My two finalists are NH and TN/NC. The Whites are hard to beat but TN/NC has both GSMNP and the balds, especially the Hump Mtns, my favorite spot hands down.

Bigfoot

Tntrekker52
06-28-2005, 23:20
My favorite has to be Tn/Nc because of the balds, springs, and the down to earth people. oh yea and its the only part ive hiked

rafe
06-29-2005, 16:28
NH has some of the best views and above-treeline ridge walks, but has huge crowds and is ruled tightly by the AMC. Maine is much wilder and at least as hard. The views are nearly as good, but the crowds and the AMC are no longer a factor. Speck Pond campsite marks the northern end of AMC territory. Great ponds for swimming once you get north of Stratton.

Buckingham
08-20-2005, 14:46
I've only been in portions of PA and NJ, so I probably should'nt have piped in on this poll. But I have to say that there is alot of beauty in Jersey to take in, a number of people I tell that to don't believe me. At least 2 idiots have tried to argue with me that the AT does'nt even go through Jersey!:eek:

Beegfut
08-20-2005, 15:48
Having just finished Maine, I now place NH in third and put Maine and Tenn/NC in a tie for first. The vastness of the views from the summits of Maine's mountains is unlike any other state on the AT (big blue lakes surrounded by vast stretches of low green forest). The walk along Namakanta Stream in the 100 Mile vies with the Hump Mtns as the prettiest spot on the AT.

Kerosene
08-20-2005, 16:45
Having just finished Maine, I now place NH in third and put Maine and Tenn/NC in a tie for first.Over the years it just worked out that I did the middle portion of the AT (Virginia thru Vermont) first. I did Georgia last year, so I have NC/TN and NH and ME to go, which I think will be some of my best scenery to date. Now if I can just arrange for blue skies as I do the Whites...

Traction
10-06-2005, 01:29
maryland baby.. yea! I fell in love with maryland.. and I'm not too sure why. I think it was all the historical sites.. it was just down right neat... and a nice change of pace. :sun

Cookerhiker
10-06-2005, 09:42
Having finally finished the AT, I can now answer: Maine. Reasons:

1. The mountains - both the views from and the setting on the summits. They're all gorgeous: Gooses, Baldpates, Bemis & Old Blue, Saddleback, Bigalows, Pleasant Pond Mt. (despite my cracking a rib on the ascent!), Moxie Bald, Whitecap, Nesuntabunt, and of course the Big K.

2. The lakes & ponds

3. Loons, moose, mosses, lichen, fungi, balsam firs, blueberries, et. al.

4. Relative solitude compared to the Whites

5. Good services and friendly people at trail towns - Andover, Rangely, Stratton, Monson

I suppose the only caveat is whether to factor the time of year in answering this question. I hiked Maine from mid-August to mid-September. If I'm hiking in early May, I prefer the Southern Highlands (Big Bald, Beauty Spot, Unaka) with the profusion of wildflowers.

Lybarger
08-09-2009, 15:58
Hundreds of AT hikers every year walk almost two thousand miles to get to -- MAINE! :O)

Interesting thought !!!! Yes, Maine has to be at the top of the list.

Namaste
08-09-2009, 18:19
Maine. "The way life should be" absolutely.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2009, 19:41

only because that's where the friggin' sign is on top of a mountain in a highly regulated park. trust me, most thru-hikers don't enjoy maine

Homer&Marje
08-09-2009, 19:56
Sheesh....Black flies aint that bad:D

Chaco Taco
08-09-2009, 20:33
Maine was unreal! Will always hold a special place on my heart!

Chaco Taco
08-09-2009, 20:37
only because that's where the friggin' sign is on top of a mountain in a highly regulated park. trust me, most thru-hikers don't enjoy maine
I agree with you for the most part. Maine really tested me. It was getting cold, rain rain rain. I remember the day I went up Baldpate and just felt so alive. Got to Speck Pond and had a beautiful crystal clear night by the pond. Maine challenged me more than any state, but mentally, I felt more clarity in Maine. The sign was a part of it but I had never seen Maine and I didnt want it to end!

Tinker
08-09-2009, 20:42
Maine, though very tough, is wilder than most other states and the AT passes numerous lakes for swimming.
I haven't hiked the central states except for parts of Va. and the whole of Ga., so I hope I haven't spoken too soon.
By the time they get to Maine, many thruhikers are in a rush to get it over with, some hope it never ends, and some are nearly out of cash, so I imagine some of them don't notice the scenery as much as I did, and being a section hiker who is out for a week or a little longer I'm not tired of the daily drill that the thruhikers go through for months.

Jaybird
08-10-2009, 05:47
I agree with you for the most part. Maine really tested me. It was getting cold, rain rain rain.............................................. ...............etcetecetc...........

i think the majority chose MAINE because they are so tired of hiking by this point...this is the ONLY state they remember!:D

WalkinHome
08-10-2009, 15:07
We'll take it!!

hbower
08-10-2009, 19:46
The Smokies so far, but I have fond memoreies of last years Ga. section.

zoberrath
12-09-2009, 13:36
She must really love you if she said yes in the Doyle.

jersey joe
12-09-2009, 14:27
Another vote for NJ! but of course I'm biased. Great diversity as stated in a previous post and some excellent ridge walking. Honorable mentions to Virginia and New Hampshire.

Disney
12-09-2009, 14:46
I was going to ask for the rationale behind picking NJ or Mass. But as Jersey Joe has reminded, me, there was alot of diversity and some good ridge walking. Personally I don't think was good enough to rank at the top of the list, but to each his own.

That leaves Mass. What possible reasoning could lead any rational and honest person to pick Massachusetts as their favorite state on the trail? I love the Byrdcage too, but really, as far as the hiking goes, it has got to be the worst section.

jersey joe
12-09-2009, 15:00
Disney, my guess is that a lot of people have low expectations for NJ and are pleasantly surprised when they get here. Also, NJ follows the unimpressive state of PA which helps NJ seem fantastic relative to the previous 250+ miles.

CrumbSnatcher
12-09-2009, 18:43
i took a guide book and glanced through it and made a mark on things i liked or thought was cool along the way. it could of been a town,deli's,views,campsites,sections of trail,etc... didn't put alot of time into it but this is what i came up with for a list. i added the number of things i highlighted.
TN/NC 25
VA. 24
NH. 12
ME. 11
VT. 10
GA. 9
PA. 7
NJ. 6
CT./MA. 5
NY. 4
WV./MD. 1

Disney
12-09-2009, 18:49
Disney, my guess is that a lot of people have low expectations for NJ and are pleasantly surprised when they get here. Also, NJ follows the unimpressive state of PA which helps NJ seem fantastic relative to the previous 250+ miles.

That's a good point. Everything changes quickly after many days of monotony. Northbounders also get to actually look up and around instead of down at the rocks.

I still stand by my position on Massachusetts. I remember walking through swamps while listening to 18 wheelers, past a junkyard and springs so polluted I knocked on wealthy houses instead of drinking from it.

CrumbSnatcher
12-09-2009, 19:25
i'd like to see a poll about which half of the trail would you choose? as your favorite!
SOUTH*springer mtn. to pine grove furnace state park*
OR
NORTH*pine grove furnace state park to katahdin? IMO, i would choose the south.

weary
12-09-2009, 19:39
i'd like to see a poll about which half of the trail would you choose?
SOUTH*springer mtn. to pine grove furnace state park*
OR
NORTH*pine grove furnace state park to katahdin? IMO, i would choose the south.
That strikes me as a weird choice. When you had had a chance to visit Maine and Katahdin. But to each his own, I say.

Weary

CrumbSnatcher
12-09-2009, 19:58
Loved Maine great state, great people! i think its in my top 4

Jaybird
12-10-2009, 06:08
I've only been in portions of PA and NJ, so I probably should'nt have piped in on this poll................etc................At least 2 idiots have tried to argue with me that the AT does'nt even go through Jersey!:eek:

I hope JERSEY is on the A.T.!
I'll be hikin' that section next MAY (2010):D
weeeeeeeeeeee

Rockhound
12-10-2009, 07:35
My favorite states to hike in are drunken and confused. It allows for much more spontaneity. Helps keep it fresh. You'll never know where you'll wind up at the end of the day.

WalkinHome
12-10-2009, 17:29

The poll says different.

XCskiNYC
12-10-2009, 17:43
Based on my AT hiking, this is only between CT and NY (pretty much all of CT but NY only from Bear Mountan Bridge NOBO).

The shelters are much better maintained in NY, plus NY has Greymoor which is a pleasant stop. Also, fires are against the rules in CT.

However, most of the water in CT comes from brooks rather than pumps and that makes me feel much more Grizzly Adams. Also, much of the NY water is placarded as unsafe to drink whereas in CT it's mostly safe.

This may be partly because my NY sections were in the summer with more leaves on the trees, but I found CT to have many more scenic viewpoints than NY. It's really pretty rare in NY to get a spot where you can see out very far (Shenandoah Mtn. and the side of the Hosner Mtn. ridge being a couple of exceptions).

The Housatonic River walk in CT and the Stewart Hollow Brook camping/shelter area are outstanding.

Ramble~On
12-10-2009, 19:30
My favorite states to hike in are drunken and confused. It allows for much more spontaneity. Helps keep it fresh. You'll never know where you'll wind up at the end of the day.

I voted on this in 2004...I didn't mention NH.

New Hampshire! and Maine! and Virginia! and the 20 or so yards in PA closest the Doyle.

jersey joe
12-11-2009, 12:14
i took a guide book and glanced through it and made a mark on things i liked or thought was cool along the way. it could of been a town,deli's,views,campsites,sections of trail,etc... didn't put alot of time into it but this is what i came up with for a list. i added the number of things i highlighted.
TN/NC 25
VA. 24
NH. 12
ME. 11
VT. 10
GA. 9
PA. 7
NJ. 6
CT./MA. 5
NY. 4
WV./MD. 1
Crumb, It'd be interesting to divide these numbers by the miles in each of the states to get the "cool things" per mile...In this list, it seems like PA ranks higher than several states, but because of the number of miles in PA, it likely ranks last in cool things per mile!

Kerosene
12-11-2009, 13:31
Crumb, It'd be interesting to divide these numbers by the miles in each of the states to get the "cool things" per mile...In this list, it seems like PA ranks higher than several states, but because of the number of miles in PA, it likely ranks last in cool things per mile!With that approach, WV would rank first!

CrumbSnatcher
12-11-2009, 13:32
Crumb, It'd be interesting to divide these numbers by the miles in each of the states to get the "cool things" per mile...In this list, it seems like PA ranks higher than several states, but because of the number of miles in PA, it likely ranks last in cool things per mile!
your absolutely right joe!
example- pa. ranked higher than jersey mostly/probably because it had more miles. i loved jersey! the delis were awesome too!!!
i love ga. too, just not enough miles.
the list would change a little but i still would put NC.,TN.,VA. FIRST no matter what.
i think ill try it again & put more time & work into it. i really need to go hiking!

mweinstone
12-11-2009, 16:23
state of mind

double d
12-11-2009, 18:55
Really Lonewolf? Thats the first time I've heard that statement! Just about every thru hiker I ever communicated with has said how much they loved Maine.