PDA

View Full Version : Article: 2006 Warmest on Record for U.S.

Buckles
01-10-2007, 15:59
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/01/10/warm.year.ap/index.html

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-10-2007, 16:08
Given the trend, I expect the lower portion of the AT to start resembling a tropical forest. The hammock hangers are gonna love palm trees.

I saw where alligators are now living in the TN River and water moccasins are being spotted further and further north.

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 16:10
At this point it is hard to ignore the facts of global warming. This article didn't even mention the phonomena of arctic and anarctic ice shelves collapsing and giant icebergs floating in the seas off Australia and New Zealand. Fortunately, we're taking care of our oil concerns in the mid-east incase it ever does get cold again - for the cost of only a few tens of thousands of lives in the middle east and a few thousand of our own women and men fighting for this rather than spending those monies developing renewable energy sources here in our own country.
Every one of those flag draped coffins that returns on military cargo planes for proper burial at Arlington may as well be our own.
Meanwhile, here in Boston, the average temperature for December and January is 15 DEGREES above normal. Go Bush!!!:) :confused: :( :mad:

DawnTreader
01-10-2007, 16:34
c'mon Warraghiyagey, we all know Global Warming is just bs propaganda, fueled by Al Gore to scare the dumb Americans into buying his new movie....
Peace

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 16:44
c'mon Warraghiyagey, we all know Global Warming is just bs propaganda, fueled by Al Gore to scare the dumb Americans into buying his new movie....
Peace

So, it's worth it. That was a great movie. And Al Gore is really, really. . . really smart! Right?

hopefulhiker
01-10-2007, 16:55
Being over 50, I have collected a lot of clothes. Most of the coats I have I just simply don't need anymore.. I just wear this old fleece jacket all winter long... I am seeing a lot more skin on the women as they trot through the winter too.....

warraghiyagey
01-10-2007, 17:01
... I am seeing a lot more skin on the women as they trot through the winter too.....
??????????????

Boat Drinks
01-10-2007, 17:08
Hey warraghiyagey
For every study you cite that says This heating trend is due to global warming, I can site you one from an equal or greater source's study saying it is NOT. And I bet you drive an SUV huh? :D
link: http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

1. The idea that man-made pollution is responsible for global warming is not supported by historical fact. The period known as the Holocene Maximum is a good example-- so-named because it was the hottest period in human history. The interesting thing is this period occurred approximately 7500 to 4000 years B.P. (before present)-- long before human's invented industrial pollution.
2. CO2 in our atmosphere has been increasing steadily for the last 18,000 years-- long before humans invented smokestacks ( Figure 1). Unless you count campfires and intestinal gas, man played no role in the pre-industrial increases.
As illustrated in this chart of Ice Core data from the Soviet Station Vostok in Antarctica (http://rainbow.ldeo.columbia.edu/ees/climate/labs/vostok/), CO2 concentrations in earth's atmosphere move with temperature. Both temperatures and CO2 have been steadily increasing for 18,000 years. Ignoring these 18,000 years of data "global warming activists" contend recent increases in atmospheric CO2 are unnatural and are the result of only 200 years or so of human pollution causing a runaway greenhouse effect.
Incidentally, earth's temperature and CO2 levels today have reached levels similar to a previous interglacial cycle of 120,000 - 140,000 years ago. From beginning to end this cycle lasted about 20,000 years. This is known as the Eemian Interglacial Period and the earth returned to a full-fledged ice age immediately afterward.

3. Total human contributions to greenhouse gases account for only about 0.28% of the "greenhouse effect" (Figure 2). Anthropogenic (man-made) carbon dioxide (CO2) comprises about 0.117% of this total, and man-made sources of other gases ( methane, nitrous oxide (NOX), other misc. gases) contributes another 0.163% (http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html) .
Approximately 99.72% of the "greenhouse effect" is due to natural causes -- mostly water vapor and traces of other gases, which we can do nothing at all about. Eliminating human activity altogether would have little impact on climate change.

. If global warming is caused by CO2 in the atmosphere then does CO2 also cause increased sun activity too?
This chart adapted after Nigel Calder (6) illustrates that variations in sun activity are generally proportional to both variations in atmospheric CO2 and atmospheric temperature (Figure 3).
Put another way, rising Earth temperatures and increasing CO2 may be "effects" and our own sun the "cause".

rafe
01-10-2007, 17:13
2. CO2 in our atmosphere has been increasing steadily for the last 18,000 years-- long before humans invented smokestacks

False. Atmospheric CO2 levels have risen 35% since we started measuring them in the mid-18th century. And according to the best science available (http://www.ipcc.ch/), it's likely that the current atmospheric CO2 level has not been matched or exceeded in the last 20 million years.