PDA

View Full Version : 17 pounds! (+food/h20)

iamscottym
01-10-2007, 18:14
I know everyone's probably sick of all the 'analyze my gear list' threads, but here's another. This is my skin-out list, + trail runners. I expect to wear the zip-off pants, 1 pair socks, boxers, and UA Cold Gear shirt.

I'd like to lose a little weight, and you'll note there are some lighter weight alternatives in my gear list (WM down jacket, WM bags) which I don't have, but I may acquire. My dad also has a WM caribou MF (35F) that I got him for christmas, which he offered to let me borrow (though I'm a bit hesistant, because I don't want to stink it up).

My start date is up in the air. I had planned on a 3/1 start, but my paperwork for military enlistment has been hung up so I may start as late as mid april. This may change my clothing and sleeping bag needs, so I could save some weight there.

I'd appreciate any advice on lightening up, and whether a new bag/down jacket are worth investing in.

Note: I will note give up my GPS, unless it becomes hard to find lithium batteries along the way. I like to use it to track daily mileage, average moving speed, altitude change, etc. It helps me push myself physically, and I'm shooting for a <4 month hike so it will also help me stay on schedule.

I anticipate 7-10 days between resupply, so I'm looking at 15-20 lbs of food. This explains my choice of pack, as the GG VT can't handle this. I'll be alternating shopping in town and mail drop resupplies.

Last of all, I'm a very hot sleeper. so I can probably cut more clothing than most folks.

Thanks everyone,
iamscottym

jesse
01-10-2007, 18:21
I'm not going to comment on your gear, because I am not a hru hiker, However, damn good spreadsheet. I stole it. Good luck

Johnny Swank
01-10-2007, 18:45
The gear list looks fine. You'll fine-tune a few things once you get out there, but I'd say the only thing I'd consider changing would be your tent to a tarptent (tarptents.com) and possibly your pack.

There's no reason to carry that much food on the AT when you go near a town every 3-4 days on average. I'm all for going farther between resupplies and cutting out towns, but a 10 day resupply is going to seriously cut down your mileage with the weight. Maybe split the difference and aim for about 5 days between towns?

SalParadise
01-10-2007, 19:47
i couldn't open the link because i don't have Xcel yet, but..

I would definitely recommend three pairs of socks and not one. it's not a weight thing, but a comfort one. One pair of socks is going to get crusty fast, and what i found is that when I hiked in one pair for too long, it would get so full of dried sweat that the salt residue would cut blisters in my foot, and an extra pair or two would help that. A clean pair is also nice to have to just sleep in if you do end up getting cold at night, as clean socks will keep you warmer in your bag.

I will respectfully disagree that 7-10 days between resupply would be too long. if your gear and such is indeed that light and you're figuring to push your mileage most of the time, you'll become a strong hiker pretty quick, and the extra food weight would definitely be manageable. Plus, since you want to hurry, cutting down on town resupplies helps eliminate that laziness that everyone gets in town and that constant desire to stay in town longer and longer. fewer town stops will make it so much easier for you to stay on schedule.

and it's really not hard to find lithium batteries along the way, either. i used them for my camera and ipod. easy enough to find with all the grocery stores and gas stations along the way.

iamscottym
01-10-2007, 19:59
Salparadise- re: lithium's for your ipod. what charger are you using, and what kind of battery life do you get. also, how much did you usually pay for lithiums.

SalParadise
01-10-2007, 20:18
I'm sorry I don't remember what I paid for the batteries, though I'm sure people on here would know.

I hiked with an iPod Shuffle ($150), not one of those higher-end ones, and I really liked it. I got that model because Apple sells a battery pack for it ($30) using 2 AAAs, and I got 30 hours of life per pair.

I liked that model because I could rubber-band it to my shoulder strap and could fiddle with it as I hiked. I've dropped it on rocks, found it (and myself) submerged in water in my tent, and amazingly it still works great. sorry if you thought I was using one of those bigger iPods.

Grandma Dixie
01-10-2007, 20:45
I noticed you have a filter, aquamira AND a steri pen. 3 ways to cleanse your water? At most, I would carry 2 of them. (filter plus aquamira) but really, you only need one. Plus, how many lights do you need? you're not going caving, if your batteries die, you wont be stranded. (mag lites are heavy too)

rafe
01-10-2007, 20:50
I noticed you have a filter, aquamira AND a steri pen. 3 ways to cleanse your water?

I believe you have misread the spreadsheet (or it's not rendering properly.) But it's not my spreadsheet... I'm not here to defend it. ;)

iamscottym
01-10-2007, 21:11
Grandma Dixie, terrapin is correct- you have misinterpreted my spreadsheet. Please note the check boxes, and the weight at the bottom calculated accordingly. Only items checked off or with a number indicating quantity are to be taken. The rest is just gear I have. :cool:

-iamscottym

PJ 2005
01-10-2007, 21:20
-it's tempting to go with down, but you don't have to worry about getting fleece wet. you will get soaked, rain gear or not.

-you're a bit redundant with the rain pants and zip-off pants. i'd leave the legs at home.

-20 oz is a big bottle for fuel. Try to find a 12 oz so you're not tempted to carry more than you need to.

-aqua mira is good, but bleach is half the weight (be sure to use the unscented, uncolored kind of clorox)

-sometimes i dream that my vapor trail is a woman.

-tarptents are wonderful. if you're wary, get the full bathtub-style floor.

-one lighter will be fine for fire. you can always find good kindling... i would not worry about the cotton balls or emergency matches.

-i wouldn't take a compass unless it was built into a watch. you just don't use it.

-that little cell light is also redundant. a headlamp is all you need.

-ipods are heavy. i like music but i was never bored without my tunes.

-triptease... is that rope? screw rope. dental floss!

-pack soap is useless after you realize that cleaning your pot sucks. take a small rubber spatula end and clean your pot as thoroughly as possible, then just throw it back in the food bag. also, anywhere with a shower will have shampoo available (well, most places).

-purell? liquid is HEAVY and you will be so dirty nothing will help you.

-glad to see you don't have "deodorant" checked :-)

-the bandana is all the kleenex you will need.

-i have allergies, but amazingly they did not bother me on the trail. at all. still don't know how that worked... take the zyrtec, but try going without for a couple days to see how you do.

-benadryl - again, liquid is really heavy. unless you absolutely need it, leave it.

-i found chapstick to be a godsend for the first couple weeks. after that, didn't need it.

-you won't need deet until new york. be SURE you have it before massachusetts!

-out of order, but i very seldom used my knife. not really necessary.

just my opinions

iamscottym
01-10-2007, 21:32
Okay, no offense guys, but seriously- this spreadsheet is not that complicated. If it's checked, I'm taking it. If not, then not.

As for the down; my fleece is just as heavy as my down jacket, and bulkier. I took my down jacket for a couple weeks in SNP this fall and didn't have a problem keeping it dry. I only wear it when I'm stopped, and thus not sweating, and it's pretty water resistant. Plus I wore a shell over it.

rafe
01-10-2007, 21:45
-i wouldn't take a compass unless it was built into a watch. you just don't use it.

Weighs a small fraction of an ounce. It could save your a$$. No, I've never needed mine, but I don't go deep into the woods without it.

-that little cell light is also redundant. a headlamp is all you need.
Light is worth a bit of redundancy. The photon light weighs how many grams?

-benadryl - again, liquid is really heavy. unless you absolutely need it, leave it.Available in tablets and capsules. Nice to have for bug bites, bee stings, plant rashes & even to help induce sleep. Very versatile, multipurpose drug!

Rebel, with a Cause!
01-11-2007, 08:43
I started my hike in 2002 with no soap nor shampoo. At Neels Gap, Soap Suds was the only item I added, mainly because of no shampoo. Sometimes the hostels have shampoo, sometimes not.I now carry one of those small one ounce Hotel ones ( my wife and I now collect them :)

Today Hand Sanatizer in a small bottle is better than soap in my opinion. I use it before cooking and eating.

Have fun

Rebel with a Cause

iamscottym
01-11-2007, 22:10
terrapin- I like benadryl liquid because if I get stung or whatever and start going into anaphylactic shock it's easier to swallow and acts faster. I haven't had this happen yet, but as a kid my doctor told me peanuts and bee stings would kill me, and despite recent experiences to the contrary my paranoia persists. I thought about grinding up benadryl tablets and making a concentrated liquid, but worried about weird things happening.

glitch
01-11-2007, 22:14
iamscottym,

I suffer from allergies to wasp stings. In my experience there's rarely such a thing as 'too much' Benadryl. I've had my doctor tell me before that if I couldn't make it to a hospital just chugg the liquid stuff or pop a whole bunch of the pills. As far as I know the worst thing that's going to happen to you is you'll pass out hardcore style for a while and wake up feeling groggy. I'm no doctor though. :)

iamscottym
01-11-2007, 22:43
glitch, I didn't mean problems with taking too much benadryl, just that dissolving the pills might do something weird. I know it'd probably be just fine, since dissolving is what it does in your stomach, but the last thing I want is to need benadryl and have it not work just because I wanted to save an ounce.

And I can vouch that chugging benadryl will just make you tired. As a child, if I accidentally ate a peanut I'd spit it out, rinse out my mouth, and down probably half a bottle of benadryl.