PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Canister Availability

Mags
01-10-2007, 18:26
>>Aren't there restrictions on shipping fuel canisters?

Yes there are. But, with careful planning, it should not be an issue. From the FAQ (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=97824&postcount=1):

Q: Can I mail canisters?

Yes, according to USPS guidelines, you can ship a 1L (or smaller) canister via ground delivery if the package is marked with an “ORM-D” and/or "Surface Delivery Only" sticker. This is the same sticker that must be placed on a package if it contains alcohol hand sanitizer (Purell).

See http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf (http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf), section 342.22a-c, for details.

However, don't be surprised if some post masters quickly respond with a "heck no you can't ship butane in the mail", as some seem to take the "better to say 'no' than bother to find out for sure" approach.:p

Conversation from a trip to PO (Dublin, OH 43017 4/4/2005 about noon):

Me: Holding an 8oz MSR canister in my hand. "Can I ship this propane/butane fuel in the mail?"
PM: "No."
Me: Holding Section 342.22a-c from Pub 52 in my hand. "According to Pub 52, it reads like I might be able to as long as I ship less than 1L of fuel."
PM: Walks over to some big chart on the wall. Stood there for several seconds and came back to the counter. "Looks like you can, but I'll need to mark the package as 'Surface Mail Only'".
Me: "Do I need to fill out any additional paper work?"
PM: "No"
Me: "Do I need to leave the box open when I arrive at the PO?"
PM: "No, just declare the package's contents and the PM will need to put 'Surface Mail Only' on the outside of the package."
Me: "Are there any additional fees?"
PM: "No"
Me: "Will you put the ORM-D sticker on the box?"
PM: "No, we don't stock them. I just need to mark the package as 'Surface Mail Only'."

This is where it gets a bit funny (at least to hikers).

Me: "Can I send the package General Delivery?"
PM: "Does the person you are sending it to have an GD account setup with their PO?
Me: "No, I'll be sending it to myself."
PM: "If you want to send any package GD, you need to notify the PO before you send the package."
Me: Trying not to laugh. "It's common practice for hikers and backpackers to send packages to themselves via GD. They don't typically notify the PO."
PM: "Our PM does not allow us received GD packages. Other PM have their own rules."

So, if your your PM tells you no, mention Publication 52 (and/or bring a copy of printed page 42, document page 28) and that you are mailing less than 1L of fuel. Reassure the PM by stating that you expect the package to be delivered via "Surface Mail Only". You might want to bring in your package opened just so the PM can "see" canister, though that does not appear to be a requirement.

The one thing I forgot to ask about was Priority Mail. While over short distances Priority Mail is probably delivered via surface mail, I expect it isn't if delivered over long distances.

The FAQ also has where you can get canisters as well. You'll probably do OK in the South, but as you go further north, planning "fuel drops" may be the way to go. Buying extra fuel may work for you too if you are not overly concerned about weight. An extra six ounces just means 3 less Snicker bars. ;)

wrongway_08
02-14-2008, 18:16
dang, what a pain in the butt! I went to the post office today to make sure there wouldnt be a problem and they knew nothing of how to do this (ship gas cantainers). I gave them the section codes and I guess they changed because after about 30 minutes of lookng on their computer, he found them - code 60012.1213 or someting like that.

He is going to print it out and keep it posted for me.

Anyways, if you plan to ship them, dont wait till the last minute or throw the headache on who ever is shipping the drops out for you. Get it sraightened out with the postoffices you plan to use ASAP.

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2008, 18:21
Also, as you'll be shipping them GROUND MAIL, make sure your basecamp people provide sufficient time for them to arrive; in other words, I'd mail them ten days ahead of time.

Pedaling Fool
02-14-2008, 18:23
That's because a lot of them don't know the regulations. I had the same problem this year (2007) on my east coast bike ride. I mailed off a canister, had to tell them it's legal just has to go ground and use a hazmat sticker. That package was in the mail for over 2 months. I will never mail canisters again, too much of a headache.

Bob S
02-14-2008, 20:06
That's because a lot of them don't know the regulations. I had the same problem this year (2007) on my east coast bike ride. I mailed off a canister, had to tell them it's legal just has to go ground and use a hazmat sticker. That package was in the mail for over 2 months. I will never mail canisters again, too much of a headache.

Two months, WOW, what did you do for fuel?

partinj
02-14-2008, 20:24
It took me 15 days to get mine i order them from R.E.I still a long time
the only thing i can think of is to carry a copy of the rules with you. And you can print out a copy of the labels for the mail drop on the usps site.
:D

Bob S
02-14-2008, 20:33
Or buy or make a stove with fuel you can pickup or easily buy along the way.

bulldog
02-14-2008, 20:50
Or buy or make a stove with fuel you can pickup or easily buy along the way.

Canister fuel is pretty accessible along the trail. I hiked from Katahdin to the James River this fall/winter and the only time I really had trouble was in Front Royal. The outfitter there only carried the tiny Primus containers which ran out a day before I got to Waynesboro. I was cooking twice a day in cold temperatures so I think in the summer a person wouldn't have any problems.

Pedaling Fool
02-14-2008, 20:57
Two months, WOW, what did you do for fuel?
I just bought it on the road, I never mail myself fuel it's too easy to find. The only reason I was mailing this stuff off was because I had too much stuff and the fuel cansister was just part of it. Luckily I mailed to my house in D.C. and not to a P.O. on the route or else It'd be lost forever.

hammock engineer
02-14-2008, 21:39
It doesn't need a hazmat sticker, just a ground sticker. I mailed one to myself without any problems. Do as Mags said. Take the open box with a printout of the regulation. My small town PM didn't know about it until I said it.