PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I got the big stuff... What's the little stuff for the trail?

Socrates
01-10-2007, 21:13
Ok, so the big stuff has been obtained... but what about the little stuff that some people may not put as much thougt into? ... Knife, bug spray, rope, tape, ... deodorant even useful? I'd like a checklist of the smaller items you guys recommend please. Thanks!

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 21:14
a small swiss army knife that has a corkscrew.

rafe
01-10-2007, 21:18
Bring your brain. And a powerful sense of humor. You'll need both. :)

Socrates
01-10-2007, 21:20
a small swiss army knife that has a corkscrew.

LWolf, you're quite the character. You invited someone to Damascus on another post... Am I going to get the opportunity, or should I say experience of meeting you while I'm on the trail? I think beer will be called for.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 21:24
LWolf, you're quite the character. You invited someone to Damascus on another post... Am I going to get the opportunity, or should I say experience of meeting you while I'm on the trail? I think beer will be called for.

come find me. it's easy. i'll be at springer around 15 march though. beer is good.

Pacific Tortuga
01-10-2007, 21:25

L. Wolf is a big B.S.er, even if he does back most of it up. :)

mountain squid
01-10-2007, 21:30
Some of the things I carry:

swiss army knife with scissors and tweezers
50' of parachute cord
small bottle of hand sanitizer
few ounces of Dr Bronners
no bug spray until summer
sun screen
no deodorant
whistle
pen/paper
something to dip water with
digital camera
tp
small carabiner if you clip anything to pack
space blanket
ear plugs
extra ziploc bags
needle to puncture blisters

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 21:32
Ok, so the big stuff has been obtained... but what about the little stuff that some people may not put as much thougt into? ... Knife, bug spray, rope, tape, ... deodorant even useful? I'd like a checklist of the smaller items you guys recommend please. Thanks!

you're a young man. bring condoms. sex happens. more than folks think.

Socrates
01-10-2007, 21:45

Haha, I guess ya never know! I was reading a cute story somewhere and a man refered to the AT as the "Abstinence Trail" It made me laugh.

Bravo
01-10-2007, 21:50

I'm a young man and I can't even imagine sex with myself on the trail (ok I'll admit I did service myself once in a shelter but.....) let alone with another person. Isn't trail sex just kind of beyond gross. Or are you talking about stopping in town and getting it on after a shower:D ?

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 21:54
I'm a young man and I can't even imagine sex with myself on the trail (ok I'll admit I did service myself once in a shelter but.....) let alone with another person. Isn't trail sex just kind of beyond gross. Or are you talking about stopping in town and getting it on after a shower:D ?

i ain't gonna brag but i wasn't lackin' the poonage. bathed or not. just sayin'...:cool:

rickb
01-10-2007, 21:56
With a woman?

Heater
01-10-2007, 21:56
Lotsa mousetraps. :D

Heater
01-10-2007, 21:58
With a woman?

Was her name palmela?

Bravo
01-10-2007, 21:59
i ain't gonna brag but i wasn't lackin' the poonage. bathed or not. just sayin'...:cool:

Brother, I'll put a feather in your cap!!! I guess any poonage is good poonage. I just can't imagine holding my breath that long. LOL!:D :D :D

Heater
01-10-2007, 22:04
Brother, I'll put a feather in your cap!!! I guess any poonage is good poonage. I just can't imagine holding my breath that long. LOL!:D :D :D

Another good reason to get a tarptent... with the good ventilation... circulation... yaknow... Get the extended floor.

Bravo
01-10-2007, 22:06
Another good reason to get a tarptent... with the good ventilation... circulation... yaknow... Get the extended floor.

I've got a tarptent and a woman so I guess I'm set. Just to let all those lonely female hikers know, we're not opposed to company!!!:D

Skidsteer
01-10-2007, 22:10
come find me. it's easy. i'll be at springer around 15 march though. beer is good.

You gonna make Springer to Cloud 9 in two days? Need a ride?

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 22:16
You gonna make Springer to Cloud 9 in two days? Need a ride?

don't know what i'm doing yet. if sgt rock does his thing at fontana around the 12th i'll go hang there then screw off till the 17th and show up at cloud 9 then go to springer afterwards.

T-Dubs
01-10-2007, 22:33

I'll be darned. When LW talked about the 'Shack Nasties' I thought it was more of a cabin fever thing. I didn't realize until now he was referring to his very own Shelter-Groupies. Ahhh, the life of an AT hiking god. How sweet it must be!

Tom

Appalachian Tater
01-10-2007, 22:50
A needle and thread or dental floss.
A watch.

Sleepy the Arab
01-11-2007, 00:00
Chapstick
lighter
p38 can opener if you don't bring a swiss army knife
small tripod can be very handy
Bandana
Journal

Skip the whistle, water dipper (use your pot), deoderant, and sunscreen (unless you're fair skinned and prone to severe sunburns); put ziplocs of various sizes into your bounce box.

I'd ditch the rubbers too. Lot of lesbians on the trail. In fact, that was usually the first thing a woman would say to me.

Aw, wait a minute...

Socrates
01-11-2007, 00:07
Good thoughts yall. Keep em coming.

The Weasel
01-11-2007, 00:21
Golf pencil (not pen).
Tea (bags usually good for 3-5 uses)
School spiral bound notebook (to leave as Shelter Register first time you come to shelter w/o one or full one...put your name/address in it, promise to send cookies to sender when full...incredible keepsake...copy it for yourself and then send to ATC)

Disney
01-11-2007, 00:23
Personally, I wouldn't skip the whistle. I would bring a pen or pencil and some paper if you want to keep a journal. It's not necessary to bring the entire book, just keep some paper in your bounce box. Definetely ear plugs and some antifungal cream. I brought a good multi vitamin too.

Jim Adams
01-11-2007, 00:29
i'm fair skinned and i never needed sun screen. by the time the season gets hot enough to need sun screen you are mostly in shade and when you aren't, your tan is good enough.
Definitly take the condons!
geek

Appalachian Tater
01-11-2007, 00:32
i'm fair skinned and i never needed sun screen. by the time the season gets hot enough to need sun screen you are mostly in shade and when you aren't, your tan is good enough.

I started 3/16 and had 2nd degree burns on my forehead by Neal's Gap. No leaves on the trees in March.

Jim Adams
01-11-2007, 00:35
hat???????

hammock engineer
01-11-2007, 03:09
What do people use for fingernail clippers? I want to keep my toes trimed to keep them happy.

I am not planning on using a bounce box. So that is not an option. I am thinking about adding them to the pack, even though I am only going to use it once a week.

hammock engineer
01-11-2007, 03:10
2nd hygene question.

What about Q-tips. TP on my finger never seams to do the job as well. I am thinking about carrying a Q-tip sans the ends. I can add a little TP for the ends each time I use it.

Any thoughts?

rafe
01-11-2007, 03:12
Qtips weigh nothing. Probably 50 to the ounce. Take what you need.

Socrates
01-11-2007, 08:25
what in the heck are the ear plugs for???

Lone Wolf
01-11-2007, 08:35

For those that are dumb enuf to stay in shelters and hostels.

totally Boagus
01-11-2007, 08:54
I sleep in a tent and never need the plugs..... but my wife needs them!

TB

Socrates
01-11-2007, 09:03
Ok, somebody mentioned bear bag rope... What kind of bag? What kind and how much rope?
Since my clothing is light and minmal amount, do I need a stuff sack? Is so, should I just get a small one?
And my sleeping bag is down by Western Mountaineering so it compacts small... Still recommend a compression sack?
Also mentioned was Dr Bronners soap. Where will I be bathing on the trail? If it's just for in town, can't I use regular soap or even just buy some there?

rafe
01-11-2007, 09:16
Ok, somebody mentioned bear bag rope... What kind of bag? What kind and how much rope?

30 feet of "parachute cord" or any stout nylon twine should do. The bag can be any stuff sack (with a draw cord) big enough to hold all the food in your pack (and possibly your cooking pot, cup, and spoon.)

Lone Wolf
01-11-2007, 09:17
Since my clothing is light and minmal amount, do I need a stuff sack? Is so, should I just get a small one?
And my sleeping bag is down by Western Mountaineering so it compacts small... Still recommend a compression sack?
Also mentioned was Dr Bronners soap. Where will I be bathing on the trail? If it's just for in town, can't I use regular soap or even just buy some there?

I don't hang food so I know nothing about bear bags/rope
small stuff sack for clothes
you don't need a compression sack for the sleeping bag
no soap is needed on the trail

mountain squid
01-11-2007, 09:19
50' of parachute/550 cord for bear bag rope (I think you can get some at WalMart?!?)
sil-nylon stuff sack for food bag
clothing in ziploc bag and then in sil-nylon stuff sack
no compression sack if sleeping bag compresses well
no leaves in the beginning means exposed to sun all day long - definitely bring sun screen
I've used Dr Bronners in town for showers when no other soap is readily available (not all hostels will have soap and when you get into town, that is what you want - a shower and food, of course.) and several times for laundry in a sink - a few ounces is not too much to me and it will go a long way.

Ear plugs for those noisy shelter mates (snorers).
Use your swiss army knife with scissors for nail clipping.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Outlaw
01-11-2007, 09:25
geek

Jim, sorry bro, but you can't be fair skinned. I have NEVER in my entire life sported a tan. If I could get all my freckles to align, maybe then you could say I'm tan. LOL. I'm not an albino, but just very prone to sunburn.

They also work great when travelling through an area with lots of mosquitoes or black flies. Bad enough eating them, but between their constant buzzing noise and dive bombing your ears, the plugs can make all the difference in maintaining what sanity you may have.

PeterB
01-11-2007, 09:47
I started 3/16 and had 2nd degree burns on my forehead by Neal's Gap. No leaves on the trees in March.

I started a section on 5/1 and the leaves were not completely out yet. 3rd day was very sunny and by the time I got to Neels Gap, I was burned on my arms and the back of my neck. I would bring sunscreen and get rid of it when you no longer need it.

rafe
01-11-2007, 10:06
I would bring sunscreen and get rid of it when you no longer need it.

Sunblock saved my bacon on Race Mtn. near Sages, late June in 2005. Not a scrap of shade up there. I was fryin'. Don't forget, as you climb higher there's less atmosphere blocking the sun... you burn more quickly. The baddest burn I ever got was from skiing on Mt. Hood (at 8500 ft.) in August.

hopefulhiker
01-11-2007, 14:11
Gold Bond powder gold bottle,

oven bags for clothes to help keep them dry

definetly take a bear bag with about 40 ft of rope,

you might consider an MP3 player for later in the green tunnel,

dehydrate some food

also I really liked "Penguin Mints" Each one has about the same amount of caffeine as a third of a cup of coffee...

moleskin for blisters,

Wrap ductape around something to have for emergency repair...

try to get an advance prescription for some antibiotics

lots of ibuprophren and glucosamine..

take a little needle and a couple of safety pins..

Start taking glucosamine now,, and lots of it,, helps the knees!

you might want to throw in a garbage bag, many uses..

consider taking pocket mail to keep in touch and to journal...

don't forget toilet paper. Its called Mountain Money....

Paul Bunyan
01-11-2007, 19:14
My small things, duct tape, pocket knife (or sheath knife), palying cards, pencil, mp3 player, and extra batteries.

aaronthebugbuffet
01-11-2007, 19:50
Forget the small stuff. Just take what you need to survive. As you hike you will think of things you need or want. These items can be picked up along the way.
I've never needed Ibuprofen, vitamins or any supplements to hike. No moleskin, thread or extensive first aid kit.

Perkolady
01-12-2007, 11:44
What do people use for fingernail clippers? I want to keep my toes trimed to keep them happy.

I am not planning on using a bounce box. So that is not an option. I am thinking about adding them to the pack, even though I am only going to use it once a week.

On several sections hikes I've brought a baby nail clipper. Same as adults, just smaller. Look in the baby stuff section of Walmart or in drug stores.

Perkolady

NLena
01-19-2007, 08:48
I plan to use the scissors on my pocketknife for this.

fonsie
01-19-2007, 09:45
Ok man 6months is a long time on the trail....condoms a plus....but im going to bring a vidio Ipod and some jergens just in case for them lonly nights.....LOL
You want to bring a deck of cards. Its a good thing to have.

soulrebel
01-28-2007, 12:16
Hmm,

Junk in my Misc bag-small swiss army knife, 4 foot cord, 2 mini-bics, 1 or 2 led lights w/ hatclip, herbs, 2 foot piece of ducttape, mp3 player/radio, paper/pen, hmm I guess that's it.

toiletries-toofbrush--you only need 10 bristles per toof., sample size toofpaste, some floss, dropper w some soap, tp, small-hand sanitizer, dropper of liquid antifungal.

Most important items-meat, whiskey, and weed (oh yeah radio) I can do without the rest.

bfitz
03-23-2007, 20:32
Preparation H wipes, (they are money) good for general hygiene, as well...

Dances with Mice
03-23-2007, 20:52
Then there's little stuff not to bring.

I took a recent poll of little stuff that was left behind at the first couple of shelters in GA. In order of frequency:

- cooking utensils like plastic scrapers, serving spoons, and spatulas. No eating spoons, tho.
- pens and lighters. Go figure. Maybe they were forgotten rather than abandoned.
- ziplock bags, all sizes. Also puzzling. Somebody's got an 80 pound pack so they figure they'll throw out a few empty ziplocks?
- candles
- paperback novels.
In the 'one each' category: plastic shower curtain and a tent.

I didn't stop at Stover or Woods Hole. Woods Hole has often had some really good stuff.

bfitz
03-23-2007, 20:58
Plastic shower curtain, huh?

Skidsteer
03-23-2007, 21:08
Sounds like someone decided to emulate Grandma Gatewood but changed their mind.

Hounoki
03-24-2007, 04:13
A small flashlight, a poncho or something, lip balm. I've heard of people ripping out pages of paperbacks as they read them, so clearly if you're bringing a book, bring only one and it doesn't need to be that thick.
I was thinking that a fold-up diagram/map of the constellations would be a neat thing to have along.

warraghiyagey
03-25-2007, 00:51
Flashlights are great if you can perform all your tasks with one hand. Most folks I saw had headlamps - two hands free for domestics, also good if you get the itch to night hike.

Just Jeff
03-25-2007, 09:37
No need for a compression sack if your bag stuffs small. It'll pack easier when it's not hard like a basketball anyway.

I always have a pair of nail clippers in my first aid kit, even on short hikes. Mostly in case of hangnails and such.

Small knife or mini multi-tool. If you use the blade on your mini-tool for cooking, you can get food down in the little nooks. I have a 2.5" bladed pocketknife, then a ~1oz minitool w/ pliers, tweezers, a file, etc. Definitely worth the ounce, IMO. You don't need a big Leatherman.

TP ziplock. Pull the tube out of the middle of the roll and smash the roll flat - makes it pack better and you can pull the TP out from the middle w/o removing the roll from the ziplock. Very helpful when it's raining or just wet out. I also keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the same ziplock, and keep that ziplock in an outer pocket. Don't wanna be fumbling around looking for it when time gets short.

Get a small rectangle of cardboard...like a 3" square from a shoebox. Wrap your duct tape around that. 4' is plenty. Duct tape is good for repairs, first aid, blisters, etc.

Definitely bring a stuff sack for clothes. Keeps it organized and you can put stuff inside to use it as a pillow. Even shoes.

Pack liner - essentials (dry clothes, sleeping bag, etc) go inside the pack liner. I use a contractor bag (heavy duty garbage bag)...put it in the pack first, add my quilts and clothes, close it. Food bag goes on top of the liner so I can get to it easily for lunch...maybe inside if I'm expecting lots of rain. Rain gear goes on top of the pack.

First aid kit - I have one dose of DayQuil and one dose of NyQuil in a blister pack. A few Motrin in a medicine ziplock, but I rarely use them. Small tube of Neosporin and a few bandaids.

I hate sunblock and never use it if I can avoid it. I use a wide-brimmed hat instead. Hate bug juice too but there isn't a lot you can do about that. Maybe soak your stuff in permethrin. Hammock Engineer made a head net that multi-tasks as a stuff sack (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=652). You could use that as your clothing sack...then if you need the head net your clothes would still be in the pack liner.

And I almost always have a bandana.

Squeaky 2
03-25-2007, 12:18
VASELINE !!!

seriously dont go hiking without it!

fonsie
03-28-2007, 06:02
just have sex in the rain naked in the middle of the woods at night. No one will bother you. That way clean up is a breaze you two can wash each other down in the rain.