PDA

View Full Version : Pack Frame Opinions

tha
01-10-2007, 21:36
Hi,

I am revisiting my prior opposition to internal frame packs. In short, I am thruhiking in '08 and expect that, realistically, my pack weight will hit as much as 60 lbs. at times, up from a likely minimum of 40 lbs., depending upon water and food needs. I am not interested in the inevitable debate over the weight, which is a topic for another day, but I am interested in the opinions re: internal vs. external frames. In particular, there is a new Osprey coming out, or out recently, with egg crate baffles to cut down on the perspiration problem. Does anyone know this pack? About 6,200 cc, I believe. If I use a bear can, not a given at this time, I will choose a pack of about that size.
Any opinions or preferences for a hike of this distance with this weight?
Thanks.

rafe
01-10-2007, 21:39
I'm the odd man out here, but it's my opinion (and experience) that external frame packs are better suited to heavy loads.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 21:59
I'm the odd man out here, but it's my opinion (and experience) that external frame packs are better suited to heavy loads.

I agree. Internal framepacks were designed for light loads while climbing. I carried an external pack for 10,000 miles.

bigcranky
01-10-2007, 22:08
One of the big internals like the Gregory Shasta or the Dana Terraplane can carry 60 pounds pretty well. When I carried that kind of weight, I used the Shasta -- nice pack. I still have it in the closet somewhere. Any internal is going to need a full frame sheet, metal stays, and a solid hip belt if it's going to handle the load.

In all seriousness, though, hiking the A.T. doesn't require a 40-60 pound pack, or a bear canister. But if you need to carry it, an internal can do it.

mweinstone
01-10-2007, 22:08
internal is hotter and for loads up to 45. externals are cooler and for loads up to minnesota smith times the square route of wyoming skateboarder . you need a sherpa.

Johnny Swank
01-10-2007, 22:24
I've got no beef with externals. I've used one in the past, and they're awesome for organizing, getting into and out of camp, etc. But 60 lbs?

I've got one word - llama.

rafe
01-10-2007, 22:30
I've got one word - llama.

Agreed... that's the more salient issue for the O.P.

tha
01-10-2007, 22:43
internal is hotter and for loads up to 45. externals are cooler and for loads up to minnesota smith times the square route of wyoming skateboarder . you need a sherpa.

You are not the first to suggest I need either a sherpa or a pack mule ( or perhaps other professional help). Seriously, I expect to get the weight down, but did want to dilute this one point. I had always thought the same as you: internal is hot and fine up to about 45. I am glad to read the specific suggestions for heavier loads in internals.

Thanks to all!!

T-Dubs
01-10-2007, 22:44
If, and when, I make that trek I'm taking an external frame. I bought it back in the '80s for that purpose. After decades of patiently waiting, it's the least I can do to allow it go along.

Tom

virtualfrog
01-10-2007, 23:25
luxurylite.com - check it out, and the reviews on this site.

virtualfrog
01-10-2007, 23:26
Also check out aarnpacks.com for a somewhat different take on internal frame packs.

Jim Adams
01-11-2007, 01:19
nothing wrong with an external but why the weight?
I didn't know s**t in 1990 and started the trail with 72 lbs. I got it down to 42 lbs. by Fontana, which was light for back then. An external is still the most comfortable pack that I've shouldered but with the weight of todays equipment even luxury backpacking would only produce 30--35 lbs.
Re-think your load!
geek

The Weasel
01-11-2007, 01:21
Totally concur for any load over 40#.

The Weasel

virtualfrog
01-11-2007, 01:55
Re-reading your OP, I'd really check out the luxury-lite packs. They work nicely w/ bear canisters, if you choose to use one. It's also a very lightweight pack that will work w/ the weights you're talking about, but wouldn't need to be replaced if/when you lighten up. Use the front pack to help w/ water, etc,.... The price isn't bad compared to many mid-high end packs.

Not to start a debate, but I'm curious what you're carrying that'd require 6000+ci and weight 40+ pounds?

TurkeyBacon
01-11-2007, 11:05
I'm not giving an opionion in to which pack, but you will most likely remove weight from that pack during the hike and need a pack more around 4000 cu in. Therefore if you spend big on a big pack, you are not spending very wisely as you will most likely relpace it and with the knowledge gained from thru-hiking never need a pack that large again. One option is to get a nice external in the 4000 range and pack a few thing on the outside (which is OK on an external) and then start moving them inside the pack as your need for size decreases.
For reference I used a 4000 pack and packed heavy at 30-35 lbs low and ?? going into the 100 mile wilderness. My pack held it all (Kelty internal frame).
TB

mountain squid
01-11-2007, 11:47
Per your original post (is that what OP stands for:confused: ) you're not planning a hike until 08. That gives you alot of time to do research, not just for your pack, but for other gear as well. If you do end up with 60+ pounds, an external frame will probably handle the weight better. But, I would suggest to go as light as possible. As far as the pack goes, try to get your other gear together first and then decide on a pack that will hold all your other gear. If you start off with a large pack, you might feel compelled to fill all the pockets, etc.

During your research, keep asking questions and researching other threads here. You'll get lots of opinions, which, hopefully will help you make wise gear decisions.

If you were closer, I would suggest a trip to Neels Gap this year while the hikers are coming thru. You would leave en"light"ened. CA is probably a little too far to travel, though...

Good on you for researching early, rather than later:) .

See you on the trail,
mt squid