1 Therm-rest Lite 1lbs 8oz
Sleeping Bag will be in Trash Compactor Bag Also Sleeping pad

Well that it :bse

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 22:24
looks good. have fun.

rafe
01-10-2007, 22:26
Ditch the pack cover. Use a large garbage bag (inside the pack) or at least get a sil-nylon pack cover (prolly 4 oz tops.) Save a few more oz between the Min Mag and the compass. You'll get flak for the water filter, but not from me.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 22:34
Ditch the pack cover. Use a large garbage bag (inside the pack) or at least get a sil-nylon pack cover (prolly 4 oz tops.) Save a few more oz between the Min Mag and the compass. You'll get flak for the water filter, but not from me.

ditch nothing. go with what you have.

Appalachian Tater
01-10-2007, 22:48
Looks pretty good.
Ditch the candle lantern and the minimag and go with an LED headlight. They look goofy but you need to be able to have both hands free.
Take Polar Pure OR Filter. If you need backup, take a few iodine pills.
Skip the nalgenes, get two one-liter soda or water bottles, they're lighter. You can replace them cheap when they get grungy.
Consider a lighter pack &/or tent if you can afford it.
Leave the compass at home.
Get a lighter pack cover or use heavy duty plastic bags unless the cover you have works perfectly.
4.5 oz is probably more than you need unless you whittle. Fingernail clippers are more useful. A knife you only need to cut sausage or cheese. Maybe get a little army knife or multi-tool with scissors.
Find some kind of cup lighter than 3 oz.
3 oz is a heavy windscreen.
First aid kit is way too much unless you have special medication needs. Toilet paper and duct tape take the place of bandaids. Alcohol gel and soap can be used for cleaning. You need ibuprophen. A few antihistamine caps can come in handy for everything from poison ivy to insomnia. That will save 7 oz.
Don't forget a toothbrush and maybe paste.
Maps & guide.
Sunscreen if you burn easily, there are no leaves in March.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 22:50
ditch nothing. go.

Appalachian Tater
01-10-2007, 22:51
Ear plugs. For when L. Wolf keeps saying "Ditch nothing, go"!!!! Or for when people snore in camp or in a hostel.

Lilred
01-10-2007, 22:56
I second the ear plugs, you'll be glad you have them. As for the KMart grease pot, check the lip on it. I believe it turns into the pot, you'll get a lot of food stuck up under that lip, can get pretty nasty. Walmart has the same grease pot for the same money, but the lip turns outward, no food getting under it. I switched to the Walmart one and like it much better. Other than that I'm with Lonewolf, GO! Have fun!!

Appalachian Tater
01-10-2007, 22:58
KMart lip turns out, Walmart lip turns in. KMart good, Walmart bad. Unless they've changed in the last few months.

rafe
01-10-2007, 23:01
This message has been edited due to deviation from stated intent of this topic. See removed postings HERE #12 (http://www.hikenow.com/edits.html#a12)

Lone Wolf
01-10-2007, 23:04
This message has been edited due to deviation from stated intent of this topic. See removed postings HERE #13 (http://www.hikenow.com/edits.html#a13)

rafe
01-10-2007, 23:06
This message has been edited due to deviation from stated intent of this topic. See removed postings HERE #14 (http://www.hikenow.com/edits.html#a14)

RiverWarriorPJ
01-10-2007, 23:08
[quote=Appalachian Tater;301380]Looks pretty good.

Leave the compass at home.

Leave the compass at home..??..:eek: ..WHAT..??..Never leave home w/out a compass..!!..

Appalachian Tater
01-10-2007, 23:14
Leave the compass at home..??..:eek: ..WHAT..??..Never leave home w/out a compass..!!..

Won't use it. You're walking north on the trail. If the trail is headed south for a section then a compass won't help anyway. Sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

If you're having to bushwack at night then a compass isn't going to save your sorry *** anyway.

So save the two ounces--that's a pack of those little cheese crackers with peanut butter in the middle you could carry instead.

partinj
01-10-2007, 23:14
I have a head band for my min mg work great
had a led headlite broke the first time i try it out the clip that held it on the band send it back to campmor. My Walrus test is a little heady by today weight but is storm proof never ever had a leak. The polar pur will not take as long to work as iodine pills don't like the taste either.

Well Thank for all the help 23 DAYS Left and Counting :sun

Appalachian Tater
01-10-2007, 23:20
I have a head band for my min mg work great
had a led headlite broke the first time i try it out the clip that held it on the band send it back to campmor. My Walrus test is a little heady by today weight but is storm proof never ever had a leak. The polar pur will not take as long to work as iodine pills don't like the taste either.

Good, then you can ditch the candle lantern at Neal's Gap. Dude, Polar Pur IS iodine.

Enjoy your hike!

rafe
01-11-2007, 01:40
If the trail is headed south for a section then a compass won't help anyway. Sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

No sun on a cloudy or rainy day or in a blizzard. It doesn't matter which way the trail's heading; with a compass you can at least choose a direction and go that way, and not wander in circles. It needn't weigh more than a fraction of an ounce.

hopefulhiker
01-11-2007, 02:31
Look into oven bags too..

copythat
01-11-2007, 03:33
leave the man his compass already! he can trim his finger/toenails a little shorter and get a buzz cut and the weight will even out. :D

i agree on the windscreen, though. takes a lot of h.d. aluminum foil to add up to 3 oz.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-11-2007, 06:50
Walrus Arch Rival--- Great Tent, strong, dry and roomy, hopefully it's the XV model with the vents.

Jaybird
01-11-2007, 06:57
Good Luck with your hike partinj!

If you need to lose any pack thangs....you can get to NEELS GAP & WALASI YI center folks will help you dump some "non-essentials"

when you pass me & "Jigsaw" hikin' Central VA Apr 25-May 6th say "howdy!":D

partinj
01-11-2007, 15:27
This is the wind screen for the snow peak i was wrong on the weight it is ony 1 1/2 oz must have read the scale wrong. But the one thing i keep forgeting to put in these post is been walking lot for around a year now ever where i go to store or just about anywhere. I took my pack out with around 35 to 40 pounds in it with no pain or trouble so far.

Well thank for all the Help:(

Chaco Taco
01-11-2007, 22:05
Hey man, good luck on the hike. Ill be pullin for ya. List looks fine. You still have the Gap if you need to ditch stuff. Hey, Im going to be heading to Fontana Dam March 8th and will be on the AT til the 18th. If you need anything at all, dont hesitate to let me know and Ill do what I can for ya. Im sure you will probably have chances to email or check in on whiteblaze when you are on breaks so shoot me a message if you need anything. Most of all, HAVE FUN! Good luck buddy!:banana:D:sun