PDA

View Full Version : support miss janet's

Very Small Animal
06-25-2003, 23:03
Hello everyone.
Miss janet's seems to be having legal difficulties in Erwin.
I just want everyone to be ready to give her our full support if need be. she is a wonderful person and the trail would be diferrent without her.
It might be due to problems within Erwin ...
Nothing to do now, but keep your eyes peeled in case we neeed to start to write letters and support her.
Very Small Animal

btw i am getting back on the trail tomorrow and will net be able to answer posts for a while.

Yankee
06-26-2003, 11:34
Details?

Lone Wolf
06-26-2003, 11:42
It probably has everything to do with that jealous A-hole, Uncle Johnny. He's called the cops and health dept. on her in the past.

Lugnut
06-26-2003, 20:06
But then some of it may have to do with complaints from neighbors , violations of sanitary codes and zoning laws covering a business in residential area. I'll bet U J has very little to do with her problems; the city of Erwin has had enough problems with the situation to act without any urging from him.
Before I am accused of being a shill for anyone, I'm not. But I think I'll duck anyway! ;)

Jack Tarlin
07-07-2003, 12:18
Lugnut, I like and respect you, but once again, you're talking about something you evidently know less than NOTHING about, and in the process of maligned one of the finest people on the Trail.

This latest trouble has EVERYTHING to do with John Shores, who has been making Miss Janet's life a living hell for years. He is absolutely instrumental in this latest campaign against Miss Janet, and has now enlisted various town officials in his latest efforts.

I urge EVERYONE who is interested in this to contact Janet (either call 423-743-1932, or write her at [email protected]); she needs our support and help with this latest nonsense. I also urge everyone who knows Janet , who has stayed with her, met her, or otherwise benefitted from her kindness to get involved with this, and DO IT NOW. She needs our support, and may well need letters that she or her lawyers can use in her defense. I also urge folks, after they've had the chance to talk to Janet and get truly informed on this situation to also contact John Shores and let him know how disgusted you are with his continual and unending efforts to harass and trouble this wonderful woman. In particular, let Mr. Shores know that you have friends or family members who will be hiking next year, and let him know that you have EVERY intention of contacting these folks, and helping them decide which trail businesses they ought to patronize and support, and which ones they should avoid like the plague. This is the ONLY way that Mr. Shores will realize that actions have consequences, and it's the only way that this miserable excuse for a man will ever clean up his act and start comporting his business affairs in a reputable, decent, upright Christian fashion.

In short:

1. Our friend Miss Janet is in real trouble, and it absolutely is the fault of the utterly contemptible Mr. Shores.

2. She needs our help NOW; please contact her, and get the facts on this matter, and please refrain from spouting off nonsense on the Internet or elsewhere until you DO get the facts. Ill-informed comments and judgments do not help the situation in the slightest.

3. Please get involved----ask Janet how you can help., and please consider contacting Mr. Shores to let him know how strongly you feel about this.

4. Thank you in advance for anything you guys might do.....and spread the word, to AT-L, Trailjournals, or anywhere else. Please feel free to send these comments to ANYONE you wish; also, anyone who has further questions about this can contact me; I'll be here in Harper's Ferry for several days before heading North.

Jack Tarlin
A.T. 95-96;97;98;99;2000;2001;2002;2003

steve hiker
07-07-2003, 18:58
So John Shores has a trail business? What's the name, and does anyone have his phone #? I'd like for all of us to start calling him and telling him if he doesn't cut the ***** we'll organize a boycott of his business. Even without the internet, news of this despicible behavior will spread through the hiking community and he'll have to go back to running moonshine.

Also, would someone post the basic details of what trouble she's in. It's public record if it's government action, so no invasion of privacy.

Lone Wolf
07-07-2003, 19:06
"Uncle Johnny's" Nolichucky Hostel in Erwin, Tenn. Ph# 423-735-0548

Lugnut
07-08-2003, 00:29
Good thing I ducked!

steve hiker
07-08-2003, 19:46
I'm reposting Miss Janet's post on Trailforums.com:

Posted: 7/8/03 2:36 PM

This is a little long so if you are not interested...don't read it! I am truly sorry to have involved the AT community in these continued problems here in Erwin. I feel that this DOES concern anyone that is interested in long distance hiking or planning a section hike or a thruhike of the AT because nearly every one of you will be using a shuttle service of some kind at some point in your hike. You yourself may be providing shuttles for friends on this list for a donation or to the general hiking public for a $1 per mile. Or you could be friends with one of the other hostel hosts that run shuttles as part of their services. This concerns everyone in the AT community.

For those calling for more information let me try to be brief... Several weeks ago John Shores attended a County Commissioners meeting where he called for the committee to do what ever they could to shut me down. He told them that I was running an illegal shuttle business and not paying taxes. The minutes to this meeting are public record. This seems to have prompted an "undercover investigation" where an officer called pretending to be a hiker and asked for a shuttle to the outfitters. The "hiker" did not want to wait until my group of guests wanted to go and insisted I give him a price to take just him. I told him I would have to charge him $20...the standard $1 per mile that dozens of shuttle drives charge all up the trail.

I was written a traffic ticket for running a shuttle business without a shuttle liscence... but there is no such thing in our state as an official shuttle liscence. When I went to court to find out what I could do to comply with what ever law it was that I had broken ... I was informed that it was being turned over to criminal court and that citation would be reissued as a warrant. The judge that refused to hear the case still would not clarify what law I had broken.

So, I have been waiting for 2 weeks to be served or arrested for....SOMETHING shuttle related. I have nothing to hide from anyone, I have every single business liscence I was told was required, I pay city, county and Tennessee State Sales taxes. I have commercial insurance for both the house and my van... I have tried to do every thing right but I did feel I needed legal representation in this case. There seems to be no existing law that I have broken. I feel the need to be protected from laws being created to fit the situation. Besides, the threat that my children could be taken out of my home because I "allow you strangers/hikers to stay here where my children live..." (This was a statement made by one of the investigators) It had nothing to do with a traffic violation and I was very alarmed.

My family is too important to me to just leave this threat up to chance. I NEED An Attorney! Many of you know FIRSTHAND what kinds of things I have been through with Mr. Shores. You have witnessed his temper and his slanderous and often crude remarks about me and my business. Many have watched horrible confrontatations where the police have had to be called. Some have seen him fly me a "salute" as he drove by. The list goes on and on and I am weary of it!

I have tried to stay on the higher road and hope that he would eventually find something else to take his attention... but since this has not happened I have to take the proper steps to protect myself, my business and my family from his intent to cause harm!
I do not ask for this to be "solved" or even discussed here on this or any other forum or list. All I ask is that IF you feel that this concerns you and you want more information to please call me, email me or soon I will have a website up at [email protected]. Thank you Baltimore Jack and many others who support me, know me and my girls and have watched this develop and UNDERSTAND. To anyone who is upset about this or feels it is inappropriate to air it here, my apologies.

7/8/03 2:36 PM

Lugnut
07-09-2003, 00:32
I have,at times, been accused of not knowing much about a subject but I think I've hit a new low by knowing "less" than nothing.
I'm not trying to start a big pissing contest with you Jack, or any one else; I was only trying to be a little objective. The "word on the street" I got was from one of the waitresses at a local restuarant when I mentioned Janet's place. I didn't percieve her comments as malicious, only informative.
I can imagine that people living on a nice tree lined street in Erwin might not be too happy about a bunch of smelly hikers just feet away. That wouldn't be a problem to me but I realize that 99.9% of the population couldn't care less about hikers.
I want acknowledge that I did hear from Janet so I will answer her publically:
No, I have no direct knowledge of any official complaints filed against you. I never said there were any. This as an open forum where trail related subjects can be discussed; I was opining that there may two, or even three, sides to the story. I can imagine that when things shake out you will be fine; at least that is my hope. You have done a tremendous job, many times at your own expense, helping hikers. I would have to be an idiot to not be aware of that;Even if Jack says I know "less" than nothing! :) I do wish you well and offer any help I can give.

trailangelmary
07-09-2003, 11:51
I think it is very sad what I am reading about Miss Janet. I have come across this slightly in Duncannon, PA but nothing like what Miss Janet has to deal with. It is a shame that she is being criticized for something she does to help other people. I have been told that Miss Janet and I are very alike. I hope I get to meet her sometime. I will say my favorite prayer for her:
May the light of God surround Miss Janet
May the love of God enfold Miss Janet
May the power of God protect Miss Janet
May the presence of God watch over Miss Janet
Wherever Miss Janet is, God is
Wherever God is, all is well.

Trailangel Mary
Duncannon, PA

steve hiker
07-11-2003, 20:14
Here's an update from Miss Janet that appeared on TrailForums today. If any of you have heard of John Sholes giving slanderous information about Miss Janet's Hostel, please send it immediately!!!

-------------------

Yes, things have gotten difficult around here because of U J's desire to see me shut down. I will have a little more information after I talk to my attorney this afternoon. Right now it looks like they are having trouble deciding what to charge me with. My lawyer can't find any law that I have broken so we don't know what to do yet. But because the police made other comments about the Department of Human Services and Children's Services taking my children away.... well, I am having to get serious.

The first thing I need are WRITTEN STATEMENTS from hikers that have had a problem or conversation with John Shores aka Uncle Johnny in the past six months, that in any way concerned me or the mention of my name or business in ANY negative or slanderous way. THIS IS CRUCIAL to getting a restraining order against him and some legal protection from him. They need to include as much personal information as a judge may need in order to contact them as well as the date that the incident occurred and if they had any witnesses.

The other thing I need are some general support letters... character reference kinds of things about Erwin, Miss Janet's House, myself, my children and in your opinion, how it all seemed to work during your visit. It is very important that you explain if you felt that my children were in any danger or if you found the situation in any way "bad" for them.

It is important that I make people that are not familiar with long distance hiking; understand what we are doing here and why it is important to hikers and to the Town of Erwin. I need them to understand that the shuttle services like I provide are especially important to your hike and that you were not charged a separate fee for your shuttle rides while here in Erwin. Include as much information as you can about WHO you are are, WHERE you are from, WHAT you do. It is important that non AT people understand that the hikers that stay with me are not not 'homeless" people. I really hate to bother anyone to ask them to write letters but it is so important! If you can write a letter and send it to me, the letter will be duplicated and given to several public officials, etc. I really hope I can get 20 or 30 letters ASAP. Please feel free to pass this on to anyone you think might be interested. THANK YOU!!!

Miss Janet

MIss Janet's House 220 North Elm Ave http://www.geocities.com/missjanetshouse Erwin, Tn 37650

Full Service Hiker Bunk and Breakfast (423)743-1932 home/leave message

trailangelmary
07-13-2003, 22:31
Miss Janet,

Back from Port Clinton!! I took several copies of all of these entries with me for all hikers to read. Baltimore Jack and Bag of Tricks talked to the entire group several times to bring support to you. I told Baltimore Jack about your possible presence, but we kept it a surprise. Little did we know till late that you could not come. We are all behind you and praying for you. I brought roses for you....I passed them on. Hopefully they are successfully being brought to you. Jack is with me in Duncannon. I think he would love to chat. Get back ASAP.

Mary

steve hiker
07-30-2003, 15:59
Miss Janet's post to TrailForums.com today:

"...my trouble with UJ

Thank you all for your unbelievable support. I still don't have the important information I need to make a real update. It does looks like this thing will be long and drawn out. I am getting letters from hikers every day and they are being put to good use... they are really very reaffirming to me, too! THANK YOU! AND, NO IT IS NOT TOO LATE TO SEND LETTERS! I just want to say something...

FOR THE RECORD

This is a forum about hiking the AT, the services along the trail and it is a wonderful assistance to hikers needing help. Zip and Leif have worked hard to create this great site so we can all stay in touch with each other and stay current on what is happening in the AT community. I have never wanted to hurt UJ's business at all. Nolichucky Hostel is a nice place to stay and most hikers find it reasonably priced, clean and convienient if they don't want or need to be in town. We offer many of the same services with some real differences ...this gives hikers some choices.

I know personally, that lots of people have been unhappy at UJ's or were even abused in some way. Often they were made uncomfortable because of the way he talks about me. Just as many people have a great stay there and find UJ to be a good host. This situation is more personal than business. I JUST WANT HIM STOP HARRASSING ME AND TO STOP SLANDERING ME TO HIKERS AND TO THE PEOPLE OF ERWIN AND UNICOI COUNTY. I WANT HIM TO STOP HURTING ME, MY GIRLS AND OUR BUSINESS! I WANT HIM TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE WAY HE IS TRYING TO "SHUT ME DOWN", IS DAMAGING TO ERWIN AND TO THE VERY HIKERS THAT WE BOTH CHOOSE TO SERVE. I really wish for a resolution to all of this soon. I'm tired.

7/30/03 11:03 AM

trailangelmary
07-30-2003, 22:23
Keep you chin up Miss Janet. A suggestion - don't participate in what Johnnie is trying to do to you. His decision to try and shut you down may not be successful at all. Take time to do for you and your children and the hikers which I know you enjoy very much. I know it is hard but making a decision in your mind not to participate in the bull**** will give you more energy. Negative energy will just weigh you down.
Thinking about you every day and saying my prayer for you.

Flash Hand
08-22-2004, 01:14
Miss Janet's post to TrailForums.com today:

"...my trouble with UJ

Thank you all for your unbelievable support. I still don't have the important information I need to make a real update. It does looks like this thing will be long and drawn out. I am getting letters from hikers every day and they are being put to good use... they are really very reaffirming to me, too! THANK YOU! AND, NO IT IS NOT TOO LATE TO SEND LETTERS! I just want to say something...

FOR THE RECORD

This is a forum about hiking the AT, the services along the trail and it is a wonderful assistance to hikers needing help. Zip and Leif have worked hard to create this great site so we can all stay in touch with each other and stay current on what is happening in the AT community. I have never wanted to hurt UJ's business at all. Nolichucky Hostel is a nice place to stay and most hikers find it reasonably priced, clean and convienient if they don't want or need to be in town. We offer many of the same services with some real differences ...this gives hikers some choices.

I know personally, that lots of people have been unhappy at UJ's or were even abused in some way. Often they were made uncomfortable because of the way he talks about me. Just as many people have a great stay there and find UJ to be a good host. This situation is more personal than business. I JUST WANT HIM STOP HARRASSING ME AND TO STOP SLANDERING ME TO HIKERS AND TO THE PEOPLE OF ERWIN AND UNICOI COUNTY. I WANT HIM TO STOP HURTING ME, MY GIRLS AND OUR BUSINESS! I WANT HIM TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE WAY HE IS TRYING TO "SHUT ME DOWN", IS DAMAGING TO ERWIN AND TO THE VERY HIKERS THAT WE BOTH CHOOSE TO SERVE. I really wish for a resolution to all of this soon. I'm tired.

7/30/03 11:03 AM

wow... but forgive me, Im all behind in this .. had spent the night at Miss Janet last May and seemed and look like that everything is all solved and the case is closed as I hoped. How's everything is right now?

Flash Hand :jump

Miss Janet
08-22-2004, 02:50
Hey Flash Hand,this was from last year..2003. 2004 has been a very good year!! No trouble for a very long time and it has been great for everyone! I have long since moved on to new things and put these already dealt with problems in a little box and put them away!

See my rather long new thread to see what I am up to now!