PDA

View Full Version : Another dreaded gear list

Grandma Dixie
01-11-2007, 01:19
I've always hated these, but now I find myself doing the same thing. Please forgive me. My thru is starting on Feb 25th, NOBO. I really want to switch the tent out to a tarptent, but at this point in the game, I dont know if I'll be able to do that, I'm financialy strapped as it is, and I need as much $$ as possible for the hike itself. I'm open to suggestions as to what I should leave behind, but unless its not TOO expensive (<$50), I'm not looking to replace gear.

Pack- Arc'teryx Bora 80 w/ top lid removed ~ 5 lbs
Tent-Mountain Hardwear Mountain Jet 2 6 lbs (Dont remind me! I will replce this with a tarpten y any means neccesary, but again, dont tknow if I can spare $200)
Sleeping Bag- Kelty Light Year 3D - 2lbs 2 oz
Pad- One of those big thermarests, but I cut it off at my knees, so its shorter, while still nice and wide.
Stove- Snowpeak Gigapower Ti w/ auto start- 2.5 oz
Cookpot- Kmart Grease pot- weight unknown (would anyone care to inform me?)
Rain Gear- Mountain Hardwear Epic Jacket- 13 oz
Sierra Designs Hurricane LT pant- 7 oz
Filter- Katadyn Guide Microfilter (which by the way pumps amazingly fast)- 14 oz with all included material (which is 3 separate attachments, and I only plan on bringing one, so I expect it to be around 10-11 oz)
I will also carry one nalgene and 2 32 oz Gatorade bottles or water. (nothing liek a hto nalgen in your sleeping bag on cold nights- gatorade bottles can't handle that)
Packcover- OR hydrolite pack cover- 6 oz
Clothing- Hot Chili's long underwear (weight unknown, but they feel about 6 oz to me)
EMS techwich longsleeve top w/ 1/4 zip
MH Chill Factor Fleece (200 wt) - 14 oz
TNF nylon hiking pants (model and weight unknown, but they dont seem too heavy, and pack down well)
4 pair smartwool expedition trekking socks (non negotiable! I love thick wool socks(even in the summer), especially when clean, so I will gladly carry these.
OR windstopper fleece gloves
OR Basic Mitt
OR Windstopper fleece hat
Headlamp- Petzl tikka plus 3 oz, including batteries

Now what did I forget?

PLEASE critique my gear list. Obviously not EVERYTHING is there, I left out some of the small sundries that all/ most of us carry (toothpaste, etc) and of course food. Let me know what you think!

Also, I made an alcohol stove a few days ago, but I'm not confident in how it works (also I dont have any denaured alcohol to test it) But I plan to become proficient with it in case my gigapower dies or I run out of fuel. I will not carry it with me, only have i sent to me if something dies.

ScottP
01-11-2007, 01:46
Replace tent with 9 oz etowah 6x10 flat tarp, either silnylon or nylon, depending on your budget

Pare down clothes to 1 hat, 3 socks, 1 polypro medium weight shirt, 1 rainjacket, 1 wind pants, 1 hiking shorts, 1 hand covers, maybe 1 fleece (but that's heavy, bulky, and really not all that warm)

replace backpack. If you get rid of enough stuff you can get a schoolbag for around 10 oz and $20

full on goretex is overkill for the AT. Think about o2 rainwear, or about replacing that jacket with just a windbreaker after mid-april or so.

Replace filter with aqua mira or bleach

rafe
01-11-2007, 01:52
Think about o2 rainwear...

Tell us more. How does it compare to other options (eg. Frogg Toggs,) how much does it weigh, and what's good/bad about it?

ScottP
01-11-2007, 01:56
around 5.5 oz, hooded. saw a pair on the AT use them. Pants shredded by the shennies, coats in just fine conditions.

http://www.rainshield.com/p_multi.html

I believe that they're made for cycling. Cyclists are worse gram weenies than thru-hikers.

Jim Adams
01-11-2007, 02:12
list doesn't look real bad but you can lose 7--10 lbs real easy. see twentyfive pounds thread.
Grandma Dixie,
how are you getting to the trail? Tarpinator (46 y/o father of five, good honest guy) lives in Hudson, NY and is coming to my place in Pittsburgh to join Whacked and myself and we are all going down to Springer to join Boudan for a start on the 10th of March. Tarpinator hiked Springer to Rt. 40 at the end of the Smokies last year. He may be close to you and able to answer some questions close to home. I realize that you intend to start earlier than us but if you need a ride and can wait until March...you have the ride. Contact me if you would like Tarpinators address or phone number and no matter when you start, have fun and good luck!
geek
[email protected]

hopefulhiker
01-11-2007, 02:30
I felt the same way about the alcohol stove before my thru hike.. I was not confident at all in my home built stove! But you don't have to build them to use them.. They are a great cheap weight saver and very reliable..

Good luck on your hike!

hammock engineer
01-11-2007, 02:40
I'm going those the same thing right now with my gear.

Those are the big things. Don't forget the small things. They might already be in your pack, but I thought I would throw them out there.

Tooth brush
tooth paste
dental floss
sewing needle (make repairs to gear using dental floss for thread, make sure it has a big eye)
First aid kit (personal decision on how much and what)
hand sanitizer
bearbag rope
compass
knife
map/guide
stuff sacks for clothes
sun glasses (love them in the snow)
maybe vaper barrier socks or plastic bags for your feet on those really cold/wet days
I like separate sleeping clothes than hiking clothes
waterproof stuff sack/trash compacter bag for sleeping bag

Make sure you have enough clothes to keep you warm. I tend to get cold while I hike, but that is just me.

Good luck. Hopefully I'll see you out there somewhere.

Appalachian Tater
01-11-2007, 08:18
ear plugs
sun screen if you burn easily

Grandma Dixie
01-11-2007, 08:34
list doesn't look real bad but you can lose 7--10 lbs real easy. see twentyfive pounds thread.
Grandma Dixie,
how are you getting to the trail? Tarpinator (46 y/o father of five, good honest guy) lives in Hudson, NY and is coming to my place in Pittsburgh to join Whacked and myself and we are all going down to Springer to join Boudan for a start on the 10th of March. Tarpinator hiked Springer to Rt. 40 at the end of the Smokies last year. He may be close to you and able to answer some questions close to home. I realize that you intend to start earlier than us but if you need a ride and can wait until March...you have the ride. Contact me if you would like Tarpinators address or phone number and no matter when you start, have fun and good luck!
geek
[email protected]

Thanks for the offer! Me and my buddy will be flying down to atlanta, and staying with extended family of mine for a day or two, So I dont need one but I really appreciate the offer. It means a lot. If something falls through, I might contact you though. (March 10 is fine, we just are eager to start)

Grandma Dixie
01-11-2007, 15:51
It has to be a 2 man tent, because there will be 2 of us.

rafe
01-11-2007, 17:27
It has to be a 2 man tent, because there will be 2 of us.

Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight was the "golden standard" on the AT for years. But the Tarptent double Rainbow should beat it for weight.

iamscottym
01-11-2007, 17:37
The tent is pretty much the cheapest thing to replace in terms of cost/lbs saved. For a tarptent You're talking about saving 4 lbs or so at a cost of $200, or $50/lb. A tarptent wouldn't be my preference, but double wall tents like the BA SL2 and the hubba hubba are probably out of your price range.

You might try losing the filter and the pack cover. I believe nalgene water bags can handle boiling water, so you could lose the nalgene and save a couple ounces.

ScottP
01-11-2007, 22:13
There's 2 of you? Then a 8x10 tarp would be a good size

Grandma Dixie
01-12-2007, 00:12
The tarptent that I WANT, is the rainbow 2. whether or not I get that, before the trail is entirely up in the air.