PDA

View Full Version : Respect your Ramen

DuctTape
01-11-2007, 01:19
Inventor of instant noodles dies at 96 (http://Inventor of instant noodles dies at 96)

DuctTape
01-11-2007, 01:24
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070106/ap_on_bi_ge/obit_ando

bulldog49
01-11-2007, 11:09
I have a burning question regarding the noodles, what is the proper pronunciation for Ramen?

Is it Ray-men or Rah-men? :confused:

greentick
01-11-2007, 11:27
make it a poll - I say RAH-men

NICKTHEGREEK
01-11-2007, 11:30
make it a poll - I say RAH-men

I say BARF

Lone Wolf
01-11-2007, 11:31
Rah-muh- n
www.dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ramen

virtualfrog
01-11-2007, 11:32
Rah-myun in Korean....Rah-men would be more appropriate of those two choices, though, from my slight knowledge of Japanese.

But, ramen noodles are in al (?) asian countries in one variation or another. Each has a different name/pronunciation.

icemanat95
01-11-2007, 11:37
I have a burning question regarding the noodles, what is the proper pronunciation for Ramen?

Is it Ray-men or Rah-men? :confused:

It's Romanji of a Japanese word thus it is a phonetic spelling. Japanese, by and large is FAR more consistent in its sounds and an "a" is always going to be pronounced as an open "AH" sounds as in far or bar and the "e" is also going to be a short sound as in men, when or hen. So Ramen is "Rahmehn."

The "ay" sound would be spelled "ei" in Romanji and fully pronounced as a shortish, subtle dipthong "ehee."

There are some variations in Japanese as in all languages and Japanese is an evolving language that has absorbed words and linguistic concepts from its neighbors and invaders, but it is still a much more consistent language than English...the Japanese being an extremely conservative people by and large.

rafe
01-11-2007, 11:40
...the Japanese being an extremely conservative people by and large.

Heh, you try putting 160 million people onto an earthquake-ridden island the size of California. ;) But I suspect you knew that.

warraghiyagey
01-11-2007, 13:08
Is it wrong to still be eating Ramen four months after I got off the trail?

saimyoji
01-11-2007, 13:14

Only if you're still adding the entire flavor packet. :eek:

Branch out now that you have options. Try the more complex instant ramens available at asian markets and increasing more local supers. Some much better, tastier stuff out there, as has been discussed here previously.

warraghiyagey
01-11-2007, 13:28
Only if you're still adding the entire flavor packet. :eek:

Branch out now that you have options. Try the more complex instant ramens available at asian markets and increasing more local supers. Some much better, tastier stuff out there, as has been discussed here previously.

That is absoluelty true. I only add less than half the flavor packet but as I'm eating them I'm thinking about whole grains and protein. Maybe I'll just eat cereal for a month. Lookout Frankenberry, here I come!

Footslogger
01-11-2007, 13:32

========================

Means you are DOOMED to hike again !!

'Slogger

warraghiyagey
01-11-2007, 14:04
========================

Means you are DOOMED to hike again !!

'Slogger

You bet your sweet ahh. . . well yes I will be at Katahdin June 1st headed to Springer!! Is it May yet??

peanuts
01-11-2007, 16:14
Already a thread about this....

Chaco Taco
01-11-2007, 17:01

The best combo is Oriental and shrimp. People laugh at me cuz I always have them in my pantry at home. Maybe my new trailname should be Noodle.:-?

virtualfrog
01-11-2007, 18:13
The best combo is Oriental and shrimp. People laugh at me cuz I always have them in my pantry at home. Maybe my new trailname should be Noodle.:-?

Oriental rocks w/ so many other flavors, it's not funny.

Paul Bunyan
01-11-2007, 18:38
Ramen is this best trail food hands down.

Now, whether it is healthy, thats a whole other discussion.......

dperry
01-11-2007, 21:17
There are some variations in Japanese as in all languages and Japanese is an evolving language that has absorbed words and linguistic concepts from its neighbors and invaders, but it is still a much more consistent language than English...the Japanese being an extremely conservative people by and large.

Actually, in many ways, English is a pretty consistent language. For instance, the conjugation of verbs is quite simple and consistent, more so than any other language I've seen so far. Even "to be" isn't all that strange compared to many other languages.

You're absolutely right though, the orthography does suck donkey balls.

Newb
01-12-2007, 12:30
Oriental rocks w/ so many other flavors, it's not funny.

How did they judge what the flavor of an Oriental was in order to create the packet?

virtualfrog
01-12-2007, 19:43
How did they judge what the flavor of an Oriental was in order to create the packet?

Not a clue - it sure doesn't taste like anything I ate while living in Korea.